PDA

View Full Version : Is any DLC a must-buy?

thorvaaldr
06-10-2012, 03:28 PM
I own CK2 - are any of the DLC worth it? Is Ruler Designer any fun?

Mongol Faces says

The Mongols DLC contains thousands of unique face combinations for male and female characters of the Mongol cultures. It also contains 7 new unit sprites for:

Archers
Horse Archers
Heavy Infantry
Pikemen
Light Infantry
Light Cavalry
Heavy Cavalry

Are those new units, or just new art for units that previously used generic sprites?

WittyNameHere
06-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I want to know the same thing. I just got this for the incredible modding it has but after playing the game found that I like it. So, which DLC is must have?

14kepling
06-10-2012, 04:04 PM
None are truly game changing, all currently are cosmetic and music packs. The sole exception is the ruler designer, but it has taken some flame for being limiting in what it changes (you can't make the greatest ruler anyones ever seen, the more good traits you add the older the character starts out. You have to balance them out with bad traits to get a decent aged ruler.)The music in this game is some of the best Ive heard, so I got a few music DLC's for ear candy.
The upcoming DLC is the first "True" expansion, it would be the most worth buying out of them.

BTW for those who want to make a god-like character, there's a mod hanging around out there that removes the age hit.

Currently, mods add more content than the DLC's, I use CK2 plus but there are other good ones.

EDIT: Also mods that change the characters faces and make them look better may require the mongol faces DLC, I know the most prominent one requires the dlc.

WittyNameHere
06-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Oh. Thanks 14kepling!

When is this new expansion DLC coming out?

14kepling
06-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Not real date yet, but sometime this month, probably in the middle.

jamesw849
06-10-2012, 04:26 PM
comes out this month along with the 1.6 content patch, the expantion allows ppl to play musiliums and has new fetures without the modding. in a live stream video last friday they plan on making every where and everyone someone the player can play and mght expand more east like japan

14kepling
06-10-2012, 04:30 PM
comes out this month along with the 1.6 content patch, the expantion allows ppl to play musiliums and has new fetures without the modding. in a live stream video last friday they plan on making every where and everyone someone the player can play and mght expand more east like japan
I dont think it will allow to expand to Japan, the game has already hit a perfect balance between simulating hundreds of individual characters and the size of the map, Ive played mods that add most of Africa, but I noticed performance dropped a bit.

thorvaaldr
06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks, Kepling! Have some rep.

#7_Clara
06-11-2012, 03:23 AM
it expands the map to the mali/songhay area i believe, not all the way to Japan.

Though Paradox are known for adding in a Japan themed expansion later..

(divine wind anyone?)

Lavec
06-11-2012, 04:54 AM
This has to be the dummest DLC I've ever seen. It's like they tried to pick things out of the game to come up with DLC as an afterthought. It really makes me not want to buy the game just to send a message to the publisher to get real.

Mivo
06-11-2012, 05:00 AM
This has to be the dummest DLC I've ever seen. It's like they tried to pick things out of the game to come up with DLC as an afterthought. It really makes me not want to buy the game just to send a message to the publisher to get real.

Why? It's just cosmetic stuff for the most part. The music DLC was specially composed for the DLC, and is paid for with the DLC sales, so the songs weren't ripped out to be sold separately.

Whether or not you like DLC, it's just something that has become standard today. It off-sets the fact that games have not become more expensive in the past 20+ years, when everything else has become more costly. If anything, there are a lot more sales now than a decade or two ago. Meanwhile, making games has become more expensive, just like rent, food, and so on.

CK2's DLC is perfectly optional, so not buying it has no negative effect on your experience. If you want some more fluff and also support the developer for making games of the kind no one else makes, then it's there for you to pick up.

Lavec
06-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Why? It's just cosmetic stuff for the most part. The music DLC was specially composed for the DLC, and is paid for with the DLC sales, so the songs weren't ripped out to be sold separately.

Whether or not you like DLC, it's just something that has become standard today. It off-sets the fact that games have not become more expensive in the past 20+ years, when everything else has become more costly. If anything, there are a lot more sales now than a decade or two ago. Meanwhile, making games has become more expensive, just like rent, food, and so on.

CK2's DLC is perfectly optional, so not buying it has no negative effect on your experience. If you want some more fluff and also support the developer for making games of the kind no one else makes, then it's there for you to pick up.

That's well and said but it doesn't make it good in my opinion. Games generally haven't needed to go up in price because the customer base has been growing at the same time. I don't think DLC has anything to do with it. DLC started out as a good way to add real content and in recent time has been used to add "fluff" and, while you may disagree, that fluff was something that in the past was made part of the game as it made the game better and increased sales anyway. You think of it as added, I think of it as removed. I simply find DLC is used as a way of scamming more dollars from the best fans. I don't like it that's all and it's my opinion and the way I feel and if I'm not alone that must effect sales negatively too, so it's a case of win some loose some for publishers that choose to do this.

s1234567890m
06-11-2012, 05:57 AM
That's well and said but it doesn't make it good in my opinion. Games generally haven't needed to go up in price because the customer base has been growing at the same time. I don't think DLC has anything to do with it. DLC started out as a good way to add real content and in recent time has been used to add "fluff" and, while you may disagree, that fluff was something that in the past was made part of the game as it made the game better and increased sales anyway. You think of it as added, I think of it as removed. I simply find DLC is used as a way of scamming more dollars from the best fans. I don't like it that's all and it's my opinion and the way I feel and if I'm not alone that must effect sales negatively too, so it's a case of win some loose some for publishers that choose to do this.

I take it by your post that you dont realise the paradox dev team has nothing o do with this DLC, it was contracted out to a GFX artist on the pdox forums.

crosswire
06-11-2012, 06:28 AM
For the price I picked up all of the songs. I love the music that is all ready in place, so if it as good, then I got a bargain.

14kepling
06-11-2012, 06:51 AM

Unfortunately the good old days are long gone. Publishers and developers are in it for the money, they are going to go for the option that makes them the most money guaranteed, even if it is hugely unpopular. The nickle and dime DLC is crap, but not near as bad as others. Take ME3 for example, selling day 1 DLC that contained very important plot details and brought closure to a mystery that had hounded players since ME1. THAT is DLC abuse. Paradox makes great games and while they did jump on the DLC bandwagon, they are not "taking away your game" in order to sell it later. If my memory is correct you couldn't play Muslim in the original CK.

Fargi
06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Yeah, from what I understand, the Paradox DLC model is very similar to the Tripwire DLC model. Continuously improve the game with patches and free content while offsetting that expense by releasing optional non-gameplay-related DLC for the community to support them if they wish. I really don't see how anyone can possibly compare that with what Activision and other publishers do.