PDA

View Full Version : Graphics issues and other issues on Mac version

cluthz
06-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Every texture in game flicker like crazy, literally any 3d object is "blinking".

Also, the game fully takes over the machine, there is no way to tab out, or go window mode.
So if Skype calls, you have the quit the game.. If you mail signals you have a new mail -> quit the game...

I was really looking forward to playing this game, but the mac port just is not playable at all.

As for my system, I meet all requirements.
My machine: 3.2GHz, NVidia GTX285, 6GB RAM Mac OSX 10.6.8

Edit:

Video link to youtube where you see the issues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPB1Y5kcONk

cyanideqq
06-11-2012, 07:58 AM
agreed, in addition to that it slows down to unplayable and then back to normal every minute or two. this would be a fun game but i might have to stop playing it until it gets patched.

Crispus
06-11-2012, 02:07 PM
There's a very simple fix for this... Install windows on bootcamp and use an OS that was designed with gaming in mind...

freyr1960
06-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Running Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro 5,1 with Radeon 5770. Everything loads fine until "Loading graphics" and then things slow down dramatically. The publisher logo is dropping from above and the menu options are rising from below and they suddenly drop to a snail's pace. It can take minutes from this point to actually launch the game.

I too have the in-game slow-downs. This seems to particularly happen when I'm trying to select brides, things slow down dramatically. Mousing over bride attributes I find the popups very slow to respond.

There's no way to escape unless you quit the whole game. I can break into Steam with shift tab but command tab to outside applications does not work. Likewise, in Steam I can't type into the forums. It will let me enter my username but it won't let me enter my password.

cluthz
06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Running Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro 5,1 with Radeon 5770. Everything loads fine until "Loading graphics" and then things slow down dramatically. The publisher logo is dropping from above and the menu options are rising from below and they suddenly drop to a snail's pace. It can take minutes from this point to actually launch the game.

I too have the in-game slow-downs. This seems to particularly happen when I'm trying to select brides, things slow down dramatically. Mousing over bride attributes I find the popups very slow to respond.

There's no way to escape unless you quit the whole game. I can break into Steam with shift tab but command tab to outside applications does not work. Likewise, in Steam I can't type into the forums. It will let me enter my username but it won't let me enter my password.

The loading graphics can take a very long time here too sometimes.
I mean like 3-5 minutes!

I also noticed that PC version has high res graphics options, shadows, trees and bloom.. Mac version is clearly inferior!

I have no idea how they can get by selling this as a full price mac game, when it's a cut down version of the PC game, and also so many bugs.

cyanideqq
06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
There's a very simple fix for this... Install windows on bootcamp and use an OS that was designed with gaming in mind...

oh wow, you got us there. okay guys, thread over.

freyr1960
06-13-2012, 09:32 AM
The loading graphics can take a very long time here too sometimes.
I mean like 3-5 minutes!

I also noticed that PC version has high res graphics options, shadows, trees and bloom.. Mac version is clearly inferior!

I have no idea how they can get by selling this as a full price mac game, when it's a cut down version of the PC game, and also so many bugs.

It's a huge disappointment. I wish we could get our money back.

ahcaglar
06-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Every texture in game flicker like crazy, literally any 3d object is "blinking".

Also, the game fully takes over the machine, there is no way to tab out, or go window mode.
So if Skype calls, you have the quit the game.. If you mail signals you have a new mail -> quit the game...

I was really looking forward to playing this game, but the mac port just is not playable at all.

As for my system, I meet all requirements.
My machine: 3.2GHz, NVidia GTX285, 6GB RAM Mac OSX 10.6.8

Edit:

Video link to youtube where you see the issues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPB1Y5kcONk

that horrible "blinking" makes me crazy :mad:, I just broke my keyboard :o I'm gonna ask a refund for it

somsjeans
07-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Yea I've got this as well, although only on the map edges and on trees(which I can't seem to turn off even in the settings file).

Other than that, it loads quickly and runs fast.

On another note: if you download the Windows version(use Wine on Steam, download it that way, then run it through Wine) it doesn't flicker, but performance is absolutely garbage. So it leads me to believe that there is something amiss with the Mac version itself. I guess I'll have to switch to using Bootcamp for it, which I was kind of trying to avoid, but oh well :(.

cluthz
07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
I sent a mail to paradox and asked about my issues, they replied they are aware of the issue.
As for now this game is not playable on Mac OS, at least not on mine, and should not be sold to mac users on steam.

CometNY
07-04-2012, 06:12 PM
FWIW - I agree it is not playable and should not be sold in its present incarnation.

My experience on Snow Leopard:

Macbook Pro Geforce 330m - Loads and plays OK, but shields and borders flicker. Too annoying to play.

Mac Pro ATI Radeon 5770 - Takes forever to load graphics (maybe 5 minutes?), the colors are weird and it flickers. Much worse than the Geforce.

Klionheart
07-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Bootcamp works wonders, from what I've gathered around the forum.

Why are you so reluctant to use it? (honest question - I know next to nothing about Macs, so I have no idea how much of an hassle that might be)

CometNY
07-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Bootcamp works wonders, from what I've gathered around the forum.

Why are you so reluctant to use it? (honest question - I know next to nothing about Macs, so I have no idea how much of an hassle that might be)

1. Disregarding issues of the virtues of Windows vs. OSX, you've got to reboot into Windows. If all of your other programs are in OSX you can't use them when in Windows/bootcamp.

2. You've got to have a Windows license for each computer you use it on.

Klionheart
07-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Ah - so it's just multi boot with a fancy name - I should've known.

I feel your pain, then - still, it's a solution, and a way to enjoy the game as it should be until there is a permanent fix from Paradox(and Apple, really, the main issue here is that Apple's OpenGl driver are, to be frank, quite lacking).

cwcurrie
12-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Came here hoping to see a solution. Left disappointed that this is still a problem six months later. :(