PDA

View Full Version : I finally decided to buy this great looking game but

JTisTrue
06-13-2012, 09:44 PM
I bought Krater and it sure seems like it is worth the purchase! Unfortunately, I am a relative ignoramus when it comes to computers and decided to ignore my inner fears regarding my laptop's computing power.

One month ago, I bought a HP Pavillion g6-1d38dx for $400 at my local Best Buy. Now, I was a big time gamer before my ENTIRE console collection, even my SNES and Genesis stuff, was stolen. It did not take long before the gaming bug bit me and I asked myself "I wonder what my new laptop can run?"

Steam was my first destination and i proceeded to install TF2 and other free games that ran perfectly. I also tried a bunch of demo's and ended up buying Terraria and Company of Heroes. I should have known that since I had to run CoH on low, I wouldn't be able to handle Krater.

I assumed in my ignorance, that my laptop would be able to handle the game on low just as it did with CoH. On the lowest resolution and on Low graphics it is STILL very very choppy when I am not in conversation with NPC's and the first battle with that wolf was VERY laggy. The login screen is so laggy that Itshard to click on the buttons. It was then I decided to come back here in my shame (of my naievity)and ask for advice.

I am very dis heartened by the whole experience but I suppose It was medicine that I deserved and needed to stave off another mistake similar in nature but ten times as costly in the future. Do I just eat the $15? Is there some technical steps I can Take? Could I dare to dream that a refund is possible?

I deserve any noob shots you guys throw at me but try to fit in a little guidance as well please, i beg you. Again I have a HP Pavillion G6-1d38dx. Specs as are as follows: (Can You Run It? website as well as My properties when i right click on My Comp)

325 GB Hard drive

Intel i3 core 2.3 GHz processor

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Intel(R) HD Graphics Family ( Some weird double card set up I believe)

You Have
4 GB RAM
Video RAM 1.7 GB
3D Yes
Hardware T&L Yes
Pixel Shader version 4.1
Vertex Shader version 4.1
Sound Caard IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (Even the SOUND was laggy!)

Any Help is GREATLY appreciated! Please fit some advice in with any Noob shots, I know i deserve the latter!

negatus
06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Sadly you're correct that your laptop just isn't up to snuff for this game. It features HD3000 integrated graphics which is less capable then even the weakest semi-modern dedicated video card.

You've already tried this game on the lowest settings, so the only thing you might want to try is downloading HP's or Intel's latest graphics drivers on the off chance it helps. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I've never tried to get a refund from Steam but have heard it's pretty hard.

0xiDIzE
06-13-2012, 10:12 PM
That's not a CFX or SLI setup, no. It's an internal GPU, meaning it's built directly into the motherboard. They've made a lot of advances with internal chips lately, but Krater is DirectX 10/11 compatible only, and you'd be lucky to run most newer DirectX 9 games on an internal chip.

The developers are really friendly and helpful, though. If they don't respond to your request for a refund here, try their forums directly: http://forums.fatshark.se/forumdisplay.php?fid=46

Of course, as the post above mine stated, you'll probably have to go through Steam for this. I've received a refund from them previously, but it can take a few days to hear anything back sometimes.

JTisTrue
06-13-2012, 10:22 PM
It is my fault for ignoring my own sense and relying on blind hope. Wow, what a bummer. In my short time here on steam I usually go by how well a demo runs as a barometer for buying or not. This game looked like it was so much fun though that I ignored any sensibility my subconscious was desperately whacking my brain with.

Well, I hope you guys enjoy the game, I know I would have! Any recommendations on what my POS laptop CAN run? Company of Heroes runs on low settings great and is my favorite game followed by TF2. The Bulletstorm demo runs (one of the main justifications I told myself when debating whther to get Krater or not) and so does Half Life 2 and Battlefeild 2 on low. Any suggestions?

0xiDIzE
06-13-2012, 10:34 PM
It is my fault for ignoring my own sense and relying on blind hope. Wow, what a bummer. In my short time here on steam I usually go by how well a demo runs as a barometer for buying or not. This game looked like it was so much fun though that I ignored any sensibility my subconscious was desperately whacking my brain with.

Well, I hope you guys enjoy the game, I know I would have! Any recommendations on what my POS laptop CAN run? Company of Heroes runs on low settings great and is my favorite game followed by TF2. The Bulletstorm demo runs (one of the main justifications I told myself when debating whther to get Krater or not) and so does Half Life 2 and Battlefeild 2 on low. Any suggestions?
Sure. Bastion is one I can't recommend highly enough, and it should run on your PC without issue. Other fun low-requirement games I own are: Dustforce, Frozen Synapse, Torchlight, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, World of Goo, and nearly anything by Valve (Portal, Left 4 Dead, CS:S, etc).

Cut2TheChase
06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Yea, try Half Life 2 to start with. EPIC

JTisTrue
06-13-2012, 10:58 PM
When my console was stolen, Dragon Age Orgins was my favorite game at the time. I noticed it is here on steam and I still have enough money to get it with the giftcard i bought aat gamestop for steam. They had a sale for Ipods. Could my laptop handle that? Please say yes. :(

SlashmanV
06-13-2012, 11:09 PM
When my console was stolen, Dragon Age Orgins was my favorite game at the time. I noticed it is here on steam and I still have enough money to get it with the giftcard i bought aat gamestop for steam. They had a sale for Ipods. Could my laptop handle that? Please say yes. :(

Ummm...I'd have to say a VERY tentative maybe. That Intel Graphics processor you're running is the problem. Dragon Age Origins is a bit graphics intensive. I can't say how it runs on low settings because I never really run things on low settings.

A quick Google may help you out.

negatus
06-13-2012, 11:10 PM

I think you could just get it to run, but at a very low resolution. I'm not sure I'd risk it. Still have a look..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBJlLWLRqQE

JTisTrue
06-13-2012, 11:21 PM
How can I tell by reading my specs if my computer can run a game or not? The spec language is greek to me and it is driving me nuts looking through online brokers reveiws and youtube play videos etc etc. I can never tell if they are talking specifically about my laptop as they never say WHICH g6 it is they are usuing. Now that I know there are more than one (mine being the POS one :( ) what does HP Family Graphics even mean besides that it sucks? I mean bulletstorm works ok and so does half life TF2 Company of Heroes.

However, I really am craving that type of game i can sink a lot of hours into that has a lot of rpg/ customization elements. Dragon Age would be perfect.

Dragon Age Minimum

OS: Windows XP (SP3) or Windows Vista (SP1) or Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core 2 Single 1.6 Ghz Processor (or equivalent) or AMD 64 2.0 GHz Processor (or equivalent)
Memory: 1GB (1.5 GB Vista and Windows 7)
Graphics: ATI Radeon X850 256MB or NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater (Windows Vista: Radeon X1550 256 MB or NVidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB)
DirectX®: DirectX (November 2007)
Hard Drive: 20 GB HD space
Sound: Direct X Compatible Sound Card

Me :325 GB Hard drive

You Have
4 GB RAM
Video RAM 1.7 GB
3D Yes
Hardware T&L Yes
Pixel Shader version 4.1
Sound Caard IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your support guys. This is the last favor I wil ask you. Is it possible for me to run DA:O?

JTisTrue
06-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Negatus, I would be MORE than happy if i could get it to run ;ike that but as usual, he doesnt say WHICH g6 he is using. GAH! Ignorance is NOT bliss!

JTisTrue
06-13-2012, 11:38 PM
I just realized how selfish it is of me to ask you guys to worry about my problem. Thank you for your help and I will figure it out eventually.

negatus
06-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Negatus, I would be MORE than happy if i could get it to run ;ike that but as usual, he doesnt say WHICH g6 he is using. GAH! Ignorance is NOT bliss!

Actually this guy is using an older computer with an even more anemic graphics card than the HD3000 your laptop has. Though I'm not sure what kind of processor is being used and the i3 your laptop employs is pretty low end.

If you want RPG's that will easily run on your laptop, you could look into any Spiderweb software game, Torchlight (plays like the original Diablo), Eschalon, and Dungeons of Dredmor (rogue-like).

gog.com is a great site with lots of older games that should run well with your laptop.

Warlander
06-13-2012, 11:50 PM
torchlight

GrumpyGamerLP
06-14-2012, 12:26 AM
You said Bulletstorm works ok. I could be mistaken but I believe that game uses Unreal Engine 3. If it does then there is a good chance that you can run any game that uses Unreal Engine 3 albeit with low settings. There are literally dozens of games that use Unreal Engine 3. Do a Google search for "unreal engine 3 games" and it will come up with a wiki of every game ever made that uses the unreal engine. You should be able to run any game off of this list. I had a low end laptop and I could actually max out most graphics settings by turning the resolution way down.

Also you said you like Company of Heroes. There are a ton of RTS games. You might try Command & Conquer Generals. It is one of the best RTS games ever made and it will probably run on your laptop. You may want to try a demo first to make sure.

Another really great and inexpensive game is Minecraft. Minecraft doesn't even use a 3D card so you will probably be able to run it just fine. Minecraft is probably the most successful indie game ever made.

0xiDIzE
06-14-2012, 12:47 AM
I just realized how selfish it is of me to ask you guys to worry about my problem. Thank you for your help and I will figure it out eventually.
It's no big deal. You should be able to run DA:O on the low end. And good choice, too. DA:O is an excellent squad-based RPG, a dying genre unfortunately, with a lot of content and play time. Bioware's last truly good game before being corrupted by the ♥♥♥♥pile that is EA.

Mivo
06-14-2012, 01:03 AM

I would advise against it. It is not a low spec game, and directly put, your laptop simply isn't made for gaming. If you want to get back into gaming, it may be a better approach to save up money and buy a desktop (or a gaming laptop, but those cost significantly more).

negatus
06-14-2012, 06:48 AM
If you decide to go with Torchlight (fun but not much story), I just remembered the Torchlight 2 pre-order bundles Torchlight with it.

wiredhands
06-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Your laptop is not really made for gaming. Though if you love the old school rpg games, you can try some demo's of the spiderweb games someone mentioned (Avernum is HUGE and will keep you busy for a long long time ;) ), just google spiderweb software, there is demo's of at least Avernum, so you can try it before you buy it.

I did a fast check on newegg, and you can get a half decent gaming desktop for 500-600$ (though this is without monitor as far as I can tell).
You can get them even cheaper, though some are build it yourself.

But it's difficult to buy stuff these days for a non techie as the sales persons just speak gibberish and not english

Silvernis
06-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Meh. I'm living proof that you don't have to be a serious techie to buy a decent gaming rig that won't break the bank. A little bit of research goes a long way.

krixxorsupp
06-14-2012, 11:26 PM
While it's true that your laptop isn't a gaming laptop, there are some things you can do to improve your speed. I've worked on alot of laptops in my time, and nearly every single one has come preloaded with so much crapware that it slows things down by as much as 30%. It usually takes me a few hours to remove crapware and tweak things for performance. So I can't possibly list all the things in this post. But, I'll give you a few tips, and some advice.

Firstly, I would suggest you google a windows 7 pc tweak guide. tweakguides.com has one that may be useful. You'll have to click on system guides, then the tweaking guide companion, and grab the free version. But, if that's not your cup of tea, here are the 3 things I would definately do.

1. If your laptop came installed with norton or McAfee's antivirus, remove them immediately and install one that is MUCH easier on system resources. My 2 favorites are microsoft security essentials, and avast. Both are free, and provide good protection, without slowing down your pc much, if at all. I haven't used Norton in awhile, but I used to have to uninstall that one all the time, and it was like getting a new PC afterwards...that's how much faster things got. This alone might allow you to run your games much better, including Krater.

2. Open WINDOWS explorer (not internet explorer), and find your hard drive...usually labeled C:, in the left hand side. Right click on the hard drive, scroll down to properties and left click. Uncheck the allow indexing box. Choose this folder and all subfolders. Keep an eye on it, because it will go through each file, and eventually get to one it can't open. Select ignore all. This will help a bit. Indexing allows you to search for files on your PC a tad bit faster. It's just not worth the hard drive usage in my opinion.

3. This last part is going to be the hard part. You'll have to do a bit of research here. How much will depend on how many items are starting when you boot up your laptop. Click the windows logo, and in the box, type msconfig. Click on the STARTUP tab. You'll see a list of items, some checked, some maybe not. Anything checkmarked is something that starts when you boot your laptop. There are usually some items that just don't need to be starting, and will slow down your laptop. Google each one, before unchecking it. You'll need to keep things like the videocard drivers, antivirus, pointing device, soundcard. But, you may find pieces of software that startup, such as update software for apple/google/HP. These can really slow down a PC. Anything you find that doesn't need to be running, just uncheck it. When you click OK, you'll be asked to reboot. If unchecking something becomes a problem, you can always go back into msconfig, and recheck them. But, do a google search on each item (just the program name...IE xxxxxx.exe), before unchecking it. You should really have no more than 6 things starting, from this list.

I hope this helps a bit. Maybe it will get Krater running on low, maybe not. But, it should smooth out your gameplay, and reduce some of the stuttering in your games.

fatshark_pwe
06-14-2012, 11:46 PM
I bought Krater and it sure seems like it is worth the purchase! Unfortunately, I am a relative ignoramus when it comes to computers and decided to ignore my inner fears regarding my laptop's computing power.

One month ago, I bought a HP Pavillion g6-1d38dx for $400 at my local Best Buy. Now, I was a big time gamer before my ENTIRE console collection, even my SNES and Genesis stuff, was stolen. It did not take long before the gaming bug bit me and I asked myself "I wonder what my new laptop can run?"

Steam was my first destination and i proceeded to install TF2 and other free games that ran perfectly. I also tried a bunch of demo's and ended up buying Terraria and Company of Heroes. I should have known that since I had to run CoH on low, I wouldn't be able to handle Krater.

I assumed in my ignorance, that my laptop would be able to handle the game on low just as it did with CoH. On the lowest resolution and on Low graphics it is STILL very very choppy when I am not in conversation with NPC's and the first battle with that wolf was VERY laggy. The login screen is so laggy that Itshard to click on the buttons. It was then I decided to come back here in my shame (of my naievity)and ask for advice.

I am very dis heartened by the whole experience but I suppose It was medicine that I deserved and needed to stave off another mistake similar in nature but ten times as costly in the future. Do I just eat the $15? Is there some technical steps I can Take? Could I dare to dream that a refund is possible?

I deserve any noob shots you guys throw at me but try to fit in a little guidance as well please, i beg you. Again I have a HP Pavillion G6-1d38dx. Specs as are as follows: (Can You Run It? website as well as My properties when i right click on My Comp)

325 GB Hard drive

You Have
4 GB RAM
Video RAM 1.7 GB
3D Yes
Hardware T&L Yes
Pixel Shader version 4.1
Sound Caard IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (Even the SOUND was laggy!)

Any Help is GREATLY appreciated! Please fit some advice in with any Noob shots, I know i deserve the latter!

Your graphic card doesn't really meet the minimum requirements but maybe you could get it to work by installing all your latest drivers. It could hugely increase your performance. I fear that the problem for you isn't so much the actual graphics load but actually the amount of internal graphics memory needed to run the game. Make sure you set the graphics settings to low (it removes rendertargets for SSAO, lowers the resolution for our shadowmaps and uses slightly lower res textures). You could try and lower your resolution aswell and always run the game in fullscreen mode. The problem is probably that your interanal graphics memory isn't enough which causes the GPU to start swapping memory all the time which basically kills your performance.

I hope this works in some capacity. Thanks for the support

/Patrik - Fatshark