PDA

View Full Version : Question about the game

Light-
06-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Quick question.
I heard from a friend that each game only goes up to 200turns and that there is no way to change this... is this true?

GrumpyGamerLP
06-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I don't think there is a turn limit.

Light-
06-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Hrmm, can I tell what win conditions there are, such as only by domination? I would prefer to have it only end by complete destruction of my enemies but if it can't be changed to just that I would like to avoid buying the game till that's an option

GrumpyGamerLP
06-14-2012, 03:23 AM
I am with you. I only want to win by domination. You can win or lose by any condition right now. You are supposed to be able to set victory conditions in a future update though.

overread
06-14-2012, 07:45 AM
At the moment all win conditions are active in all games. Which means you've got:

1) Domination - kill everyone

2) Unity spell - cast it and you win. Note you just have to cast counterspell to end this; however to get the warning its being cast you have to have scouted and met all the enemy lords - so scout the map early to make sure you meet everyone.

3) Shrine dominance - take and hold all the shrines

4) God avatar defeat - basically if you become allied to a god to the 95-100% line the opposing god to that god is likely to send their avatar to the world map to destroy you. Killing that avatar wins you the game.

It is hoped that the multiplayer update (released free) will contain the option to allow players to select the victory conditions for the game.

Also the only turn limit I'm aware of is the 50 turn limit in the demo. I suspect your friend played a full match and an opposing mage (who he had not encountered) was able to cast the unity spell unopposed (this winning them the game).

Light-
06-14-2012, 08:39 AM
That must be the case, he only says he's played one game and it ended exactly on turn 200 so he assumed.

I guess I'll wait to buy until that patch is out because I'm really only a fan of domination >:D

Edit: Also how do you know it's being cast? He assumes that was the reason and had scouted the mage who won.

spammichvoll
06-14-2012, 08:46 AM
There is no turn limit at turn 200.

One game on a XL map i won at turn 249.

And to find out who cast the unity spell, simply go to diplomacy and click on the enemies. You see what spell every enemy is casting at the moment , by clicking on his picture.

Sry for bad english ;-)

Edit : You have enough time to interrupt every unity spell. The spell for it only needs 1 turn. The unity about 10 or 20 turns ... i often let them make the unity spell for many turn and interrupt them just in time before its complete, because in that time , they cannot cast any other spell , whatīs good for me ;-)

Edit2 : In the case , that the unity spell is cast by an opponent, you get an advise that the spell is ( started to )cast. Someone tells you, that an enemy started to cast unity spell. You donīt have to look every round, if some enemy started to cast it.
You have much time to look who it was , and think about at which round you interrupt him, cause it takes a while to finish unity spell. Maybe about 10 or 20 rounds/turns. I like it, when an enemy cast unity spell, cause while the turns go on, they cannot cast attack spells or curses on me. So i interrupt them only 1 or 2 rounds/turns before they finish it.

huminado
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Not sure much point in waiting for the victory conditions to be selectable. The AI might cast Unity and people have lost that way. I've only seen it cast in a few games, and it can be countered just as Spammichvoll explains. There have been a few posts by people complaining about the Unity spell - but I think the gripes are unfounded.

The AI is almost certainly never going to win by defeating a god, or by shrine dominance, so those conditions seem to be outlyers.

spammichvoll
06-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Not sure much point in waiting for the victory conditions to be selectable. The AI might cast Unity and people have lost that way. I've only seen it cast in a few games, and it can be countered just as Spammichvoll explains. There have been a few posts by people complaining about the Unity spell - but I think the gripes are unfounded.

The AI is almost certainly never going to win by defeating a god, or by shrine dominance, so those conditions seem to be outlyers.

I totally agree with what you say.

In my current game , the last enemy ai remaining is casting unity spell again. This time i looked how long it does take. He needs 20 turns to finish this spell. Meanwhile I make some other spells and curses and let him stay by his unity spell. Itīs nearly impossible for him to win like that. Only if i were asleep ;-) The counter spell doesnīt take 1 turn for me to cast.

I wouldnīt wait for changes , before i buy this game. Itīs really fun to play already. The ai never won by other things than defeating me on hardest lvl ( and i played bad ^^ ) .

overread
06-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Unity Spell is actually a little odd - its like an allied victory because late in the game the only way to win with it is to have all factions allied with you for all the turns needed.

Also that late in the game its unlikely anyone would not be able to have the mana to counter it and the nature of spells means its less likely to be something you can push toward (as opposed to - say - games like Galactic Civ 2 where the research victory is something you can focus your empire around).

I can somewhat see it being able to beat a player if they were hiding up in a corner with just 1 or 2 cities - but even then it would be a mopping up rather than a proper victory.