PDA

View Full Version : Trial and error: Do NOT start learning the game with Holy Roman Empire

Shadowstorm1989
06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
I literally spent the majority of my last play session trying to find the places that were being referenced. Yes, it's "easy" in that you're generally well liked and have plenty of land to raise levies and taxes from, but for every problem you solve, 4 more spring up.

MrFreeman
06-14-2012, 11:49 PM
I recommend starting a game as one of the Irish counties, good chance to expand but also well protected to familiarise yourself with everything.

They also have great potential. My current game with them through some lucky marriages and deaths have become King Of Ireland and England.

wickedmystic
06-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Glad your game as Ireland is going well.

Mine wasn't so great, was almost finished uniting the island when out of nowhere Super-Norway (Norway had taken over Scottland and England) decided to attack

Incarnal
06-17-2012, 04:07 AM
I did that also! Started with HRE and the size of it proved well beyond my early learning abilities. Ended up going with Scottland, much more manageable.

Neff
06-17-2012, 04:25 AM
I think playing a HRE vassal for the first game isn't a bad idea, but like you say the HR Emporer himself looks a bit of a challenge. I'd love to try it though someday as conquering the known world as the HRE sounds like a fun challenge...

HRE are the state which sees the most differences in my games, some games it ends up conquering half of Europe, other games it fragments and totally collapses, without any intervention from me.