PDA

View Full Version : How long is this game?

brotrrwinner
06-19-2012, 12:00 PM
It looks cool but it only has 6 levels and at least the first one is very short (it was kind of a tutorial but still)

Stexred
06-19-2012, 12:21 PM
the game is worth its money

92Hotel
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
What did you think of it otherwise?

And devs, please consider linking this forum instead of your own. A majority of us are looking for community feedback initially when we try and visit the forum, and tend to stop looking if it's not the one linked. Sadly, there is a stigma about not linking the Steam forum for your game that makes us instinctively think that you would rather control negative feedback.

Splosion
06-19-2012, 01:43 PM
What did you think of it otherwise?

And devs, please consider linking this forum instead of your own. A majority of us are looking for community feedback initially when we try and visit the forum, and tend to stop looking if it's not the one linked. Sadly, there is a stigma about not linking the Steam forum for your game that makes us instinctively think that you would rather control negative feedback.

I was about to buy it myself and this was the exact reasoning why i didn't.

Brotigan
06-19-2012, 02:48 PM
The ability to cut things any way you want is pure awesome by itself, plus there is a lot of collectables and achievements. Well worth the price.

Mr Delabee
06-19-2012, 03:39 PM
On the first level I was looking for secret soundtrack tape, decided I would try and surf a large piece of rock upto the ledge. So I cut off long piece of rock, planted a rocket underneath rock in the middle, stood on top and attempted to shoot myself into the sky, surfing. I died but it was damn fun trying, In the end I actually achieved it.
This was just looking for a secret tape, I could see it quite high up just didn't know how to get there, 40 mins on first level alone.
There can only be more of this madness later on as well and there looks to be loads of collectables scattered across the game.
Only negative thing I will say so far, I think the game needs some kind of quick save, few times I died it had checkpointed me in an odd area and I had to keep recollect the collectables I had already collected for it to register.

dukmiester2
06-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Only negative thing I will say so far, I think the game needs some kind of quick save, few times I died it had checkpointed me in an odd area and I had to keep recollect the collectables I had already collected for it to register.

That is the one thing that bothers me a little. I don't mind checkpoint save so much as long as the collectables get saved.

Having to run around and get the SAME ones all over again seems like it might get irritating.

Other than that, game looks interesting and from the feedback here I think I may just get it.

TotalBisquit even liked it, and wasn't quite as harsh as some of his reviews can be, so that's another plus.

Not that I trust every thing he says, but he does play the first level and it gave a pretty good view of what to expect.

Still on the fence, but I'll probably end up getting it anyway as I have had a craving for a good, but different platformer :)

fPeter
06-20-2012, 04:31 AM
Can someone please just say how long it is? "It's worth it" is completely subjective and doesn't really tell me anything. Maybe for you being able to slice things is worth $10 on its own but i wouldn't be happy if i could only slice the same 3 hours worth of content.

Wychodzew
06-20-2012, 06:29 AM
Well, according to this review (http://www.4players.de/4players.php/procontra/PC-CDROM/Test/Fazit_Wertung/PC-CDROM/29072/76567/Tiny__Big_Grandpas_Leftovers.html), he played the game for 3 hours.
The developers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eykBkdDq9r4) told me that their testers needed 4 hours to play from the beginning till end.
Our testers needed around four hours to play the story from the beginning till the end. To get all the achievements and hidden stuff you can spend much more time and it's definitely worth to collect all the indie music tapes (indie rock'n'roll :-).
Some reviewers (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tiny_and_big_grandpas_leftovers) on GOG needed 6 hours for the game.
I really enjoyed this game, it's one of the most original titles I've played in years. It has a fun presentation and a sense of style that really has no equal. However the game is only six hours long, and in those six hours the environment never change
I've played the first level only and have spent nearly one hour in that because slicing rocks was so much fun. You can destroy so much stuff there. It has a great design and a fantastic gameplay, but it feels too short imho.

I wish the creators would make a map editor for this game to provide more long-term motivation.

deathbuffer
06-20-2012, 08:03 AM
I was about to buy it myself and this was the exact reasoning why i didn't.

Sorry about the forum link, we honestly didn't think about it. We can't change it ourselves, but we'll ask Valve to change it to point to this forum. I put up an announcement over at our board to send people here.

Sivulla
06-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Took blindly around 5 hours for me, enjoying my time exploring the secrets and scenery.

Stexred
06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
getting all the achievements
takes some time too

in.meinem.turm.
06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Over 2 hours in, 11 achievements, tomorrow I'll play level 2 for the first time.

dukmiester2
06-20-2012, 03:45 PM
2.1 hours played on first level and a SMALL part of second level (Not counting tutorial level as a real level).

Here's my stats:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5075/7410653252_c2c3d953fd_b.jpg

Love the game so far. It's only 10 bucks (US) and there are 6 levels in all. SO, 2 hours per level=12 hours play time if the rest of the levels are as lengthy.

I love the physics and platformer combination gameplay. The soundtrack is pretty good too.

Someone had mentioned somewhere about if you use a gamepad you still need the mouse to click things.

Well, the only time i need the mouse is when I am in a menu or in the inventory screen as it seems that the input for the left analog stick is WAY too fast in menus and inventory screens.
In the actual game, the camera movement and character controls are just fine with my gamepad.

I also like that you can switch from using a gamepad to a mouse/keyboard "on the fly" and you don't have to commit to choosing either one or the other. A VERY nice feature IMO :)

The only knock I can possibly give the game, is if you get some collectable items AFTER you pass a checkpoint save and die, you have to go and re-collect them and then get to another checkpoint (without dieing again).

Other than that, the game is an absolute joy to play. I can hardly wait to get back into it. Just got home from work, showered, ate dinner, and stopped in here to express how delightful this game is :D

If, like me, you're on the fence with this one, I'd say go for it!

It's only 10 dollars, and well worth it for the amount of entertainment you'll get from it. Plus, you'll be supporting an independent developer :)

92Hotel
06-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Sorry about the forum link, we honestly didn't think about it. We can't change it ourselves, but we'll ask Valve to change it to point to this forum. I put up an announcement over at our board to send people here.

Thanks deathbuffer, it's really to your advantage to do this, and we're glad to be your new geeky overlords of help in mentioning it :)

jimrad1
06-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Now that Ive my crash issues resolved, I have to say.........one piece of amazing good work here. One of my best buys of the year. Just too much fun even if you just play it in sandbox mode. Something about slicing boulders is just too rich. Ive even tried cutting pieces out to make addhoc vehicles to launch via the rocket.

P4N1K
06-22-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm really loving this game as well. I recently bought this and Binding of Isaac, because of the ability to use a Xbox controller with it. Tight controls, funny cut-scenes, and the awesome ability to cut objects really makes this game shine. I recently fell into a "Multiplayer-only" slump, but since I picked up a gamepad; I now have started playing more singleplayer games. I'll probably pick up the album too, because I really liked the song from the trailer. One problem I've had though is that its rather easy to glitch through solid objects, and I've counted at least once or twice when I've gotten stuck outside of the map. Other then that though, Thanks for making such a great game.

I suggest that anyone who is a fan of games with really cool physics, humorous dialog and action-adventure games; should really buy this. Definitely worth the price.

lordnine
07-22-2012, 12:42 PM
I just finished it. Steam says I played 2 hours. The checkpoint only save system discouraged me from exploring much so that is pretty much the time it will take you if you don’t bother to collect things. On that topic a quick save function would have greatly improved my enjoyment of the game.

SirDavies
07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Well, according to this review (http://www.4players.de/4players.php/procontra/PC-CDROM/Test/Fazit_Wertung/PC-CDROM/29072/76567/Tiny__Big_Grandpas_Leftovers.html), he played the game for 3 hours.
The developers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eykBkdDq9r4) told me that their testers needed 4 hours to play from the beginning till end.

Some reviewers (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tiny_and_big_grandpas_leftovers) on GOG needed 6 hours for the game.

No idea what those reviews are talking about, but I played the game and I can tell you every level is different and it lasts 6 hours minimum. Also the game is really worth exploring and there is a lot of variety in the way you can combine the weapons.

mdcdeve
12-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Hm .. about 2 hours here to finish the game. Not sure how they managed 6 hours ! I spent a while on all levels, died alot and got 20 achievements in the 2 hours.