PDA

View Full Version : Game fails to launch, can anyone help?

groovygower
06-21-2012, 07:14 PM
OK guys, I've been banging my head against a wall the last few hours - QC is installed but won't launch. If I try to launch it, a box appears saying that it's about to launch then disappears and nothing happens, if I click on it to launch again the same thing happens. My other Steam games are fine.

I've tried closing and resetting Steam, made sure that the Steam client is the most recent one, deleted the game files and re-downloaded, made sure my GFX drivers are the latest ones, restarted my laptop, verified the cache files, disabled anti virus (AVG), made sure Windows Update is up-to-date. I'm wondering if maybe it's something to do with DirectX but I don't really know much about it. I also got the 'West Yorkshire Police' virus a couple of weeks ago but after installing AVG it seemed to be sorted (I have included all the viruses in my Virus Vault at the bottom of the page in case it's relevant).

I've sent my problem to Valve but am awaiting a response, I haven't been able to find anything on Google. My PC is a Dell L502X, and in case it's relevant, my laptop has 2 GFX cards; one for everyday use (an Intel one), and one for games (the GeForce GT 525M). Perhaps the problem is that it tries to load the game using the Intel card? It's supposed to automatically pick it up but maybe this is the issue - I had this problem once with Sonic Generations demo - the specs can easily handle QC, on 'Can I Run It?', it details these specs

Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Pixel Shader version 4.0 5.0
Vertex Shader version 4.0 5.0
Dedicated Video RAM 512 MB 1.0 GB

If anyone can offer any advice - even if it's a shot in the dark - I would REALLY appreciate it!

groovygower
06-22-2012, 11:58 AM
BUMP. Tidied it up a bit.

Robofire
06-22-2012, 12:32 PM
My game won't launch either - I get a windows message saying QC has stopped working pretty much immediately. I've sent a steam support ticket, I'll post if anything comes of it. Hope somebody has a solution.

groovygower
06-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Mine's different... the 'launching game' popup box appears for 2 seconds then fades away and nothing happens, it's not running in the background either as I checked Task Manager.

This is seriously frustrating, I was SO looking forward to getting into this.

bballwizzy
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Silly question, but have you made sure that your drivers are up-to-date? If you have task manager open at start, does the game show up for a split second and then disappear?

bballwizzy
06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Ah, I see you have updated drivers, my bad :)

TheCrippledNewt
06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Hmmm.. Maybe yoru antivirus is the problem. Go to
Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Quantum Conundrum\Binaries\Win32 (or Win64 depending on what version you have)and add an exception in your Antivirus for the file TryGame-Win32-Shipping.exe/TryGame-Win64-Shipping.exe.
Hope this helps.

groovygower
06-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks but I disabled the antivirus to see if that was what was causing it and nothing was different. I just added it as an exception just in case, but no change. I believe there's a tool in Windows called Event Viewer or something - would that be handy in seeing what's happening to my system when it stops launching QC? I'd need instructions though. :/

Hyatice
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
It's looking like somehow nVidia optimus is the problem, as my laptop is running Optimus as well and it will not launch. The program that's trying to launch is "trygame-win32-shipping.exe". The "Trygame" part is making me think that it's checking to see if your computer will run it, and then seeing the integrated card and immediately shutting down. Hoping for a quick fix for this, I was really looking forward to it.

bballwizzy
06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
I just did a quick internet search and it seems like Game Of Thrones was running into a similar issue with nVidia Optimus and UE3. Their only suggestion was to update the version of Optimus and the graphics drivers from nVidia's site. Unfortunately we don't have a laptop with those specs to test with, but it's entirely possible that this something that other UE3 games have run into (and hopefully solved). With any luck, a search for similar problems with other UE3 games might yield a solution to this problem. Sorry I can't offer more help than that!

Hyatice
06-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I mean I have a few games that run UE3 and most will run, if not all. I think it's just a tidbit of bad code that needs to be fixed.

bballwizzy
06-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Another thing to try is setting a different resolution via the launch options for QC in Steam.

Try adding in this into the launch options, adjusting the values for your own desired resolution (native resolution for your laptop is a good start):

-rex=1600 -resy=900

groovygower
06-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Hey bballwizzy, I tried updating from nVidia's website and a resolution fix, reset and still no joy.

anthonyda
06-23-2012, 10:54 AM
To the OP : Do you have ini files located at C:\Users\xxx\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\TryGame\Config\TryEngine.ini ?

What happens to me is if your config file are broken, the game crashes at startup.

groovygower
06-23-2012, 11:52 AM
No, I don't have 'UnrealEngine3' in My Games, however I think your problem is different to mine, the game doesn't even start up for me, it says it's going to launch on Steam then stops.

sneaky324
06-23-2012, 01:07 PM
anthonyda, how do you tell if the config file is broken?

anthonyda
06-23-2012, 01:38 PM
FYI : My game works fine.
I have managed to reproduce the issue when I tweaked the ini file a bit, but that's another story.

You can't easy tell if a config file is broken, the best thing to do first is to see if it has been created or not.

groovygower > You need those .ini files to run the game. Try to start the game with Administrator right or find somebody to send their ini files to you.

Murderbox
06-23-2012, 02:00 PM
try putting

"try_mainmenu -noscreenmessages -disabledebugoutputdevice -fullscreen -vsync -norc -seekfreeloadingpcconsole"

in the launch commands. (without quotes obviously)

groovygower
06-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the help, tried both your suggestions. Still not working. I have tried so many thins and literally spent hours on the internet trying to fix it, I am getting so p*ssed off, yet I REALLY want to play this game! :(

Would someone be able to post a pic of the ini files that are required?

anthonyda
06-23-2012, 06:01 PM
You need
TryCompat.ini
TryEngine.ini
TryEnlighten.ini
TryGame.ini
TryInput.ini
TryLightmass.ini
TryGui.ini

(make sure that they are filled with correct values, don't create blank config file)

groovygower
06-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks again for the help. I used the search option for all of those in the Quantum Conundrum folder and none of them exist apparently, could you tell me folder they should specifically be in?

anthonyda
06-24-2012, 02:22 AM
They are generated by the game, you can't copy/paste them from the game folder.
You need somebody to send hes files to you.

groovygower
06-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Ah right I see... if you don't need them prior to the first time that you use the game and then they're generated by using it then could it be something else that causes the game to fail loading? :s

anthonyda
06-24-2012, 06:01 AM
Just grab the config files, the game will run fine.

Lord Semaj
06-24-2012, 11:56 AM
And how are we supposed to do that?

groovygower
06-24-2012, 04:28 PM
OK, thanks - could anyone on here upload them for us to download and tell us where we should put them?

AirtightGames
06-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Check this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2765674 and try the new command line options that were added with the patch. Also make sure your Optimus settings are set to use the Nvidia graphics when launching TryGame-Win32-Shipping.exe. You might also want to make sure that you DirectX runtime is up to date and that you have the Visual C++ 2008 runtime files installed and up to date as well.

TheRealScale
06-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Quantum Conundrum > Right Click => Properties > Local Files => Verify integrity of game cache

That should do the trick, good luck

groovygower
07-04-2012, 11:28 AM
TheRealScale, thanks but that was he first thing that I did. Still no joy with any of the suggestions. :(

TheRealScale
07-04-2012, 11:48 AM
TheRealScale, thanks but that was he first thing that I did. Still no joy with any of the suggestions. :(

what are you sympthoms? does your screen goto black then back to desktop? with or without error?

groovygower
07-04-2012, 12:22 PM
The black box to say the game is launching pops up, then disappears and nothing happens, computer just runs as if nothing's happened.

I have managed to get hold of the .ini files but I don't even have an UnrealEngine3 folder to put them in. :s

TheRealScale
07-04-2012, 01:54 PM
The black box to say the game is launching pops up, then disappears and nothing happens, computer just runs as if nothing's happened.

I have managed to get hold of the .ini files but I don't even have an UnrealEngine3 folder to put them in. :s

I don't have an unrealengin3 folder.. either for me it's
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Quantum Conundrum\Engine\Config

groovygower
07-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Ah right thanks. Well I put the .ini files in my Config folder, restarted Steam and still nothing.

Erik von Kelder
07-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Does it run the initial intallation each time as well?

I was gettting the first time setup (where it installs the directX stuff) before the game launched, the screen went black and nothing else happens (then had to restart - this happened 3 times in a row). I ended up doing that Verifying Game Cache files suggested on page 2 of this thread, went to Program Control in my Zonealarm antivirus and turned everything to do with Quantum to "allow" and then switched to Game mode as well... which then seemed to work.

Just as an aside, have you run Unreal 3 engine games on your computer before QC? If not, have a test with another game to see if you get the same issue - I think Super Monday Night Combat (free to play) runs on the same engine so might be worth a shot to see if UE3 installs or runs differently.

Ominous71
07-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi there,

Im having exactly the same problem on another game, London 2012, as are some others. Steam support came up with nothing really apart from no refund! Tried all their suggestions and the suggestions of those trying to help.... Very frustrating as my spec is fine and all other games work..... arrrrrrrrrrgh

Unhappyuser_2
07-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Hey Everyone, I think i found a soulution. If you have used the Unreal UDK then you need to go to Users/YourName/My Documents/UnrealEngine3 and just delete UnrealEngine3, then verifiy your cache in steam. then the game will launch!

wolftamer9
07-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Okay, so I've tried pretty much everything suggested here, and nothing I do can make my game work. When I start up, Steam tries to install something called "Microsoft VC Redlist," and then it opens up the game which is a black screen and a windows message telling me it's not working. I managed to paste the report onto a text file, and yes, it seems something is wrong with TryGame-Win32-Shipping.exe. If there are any other possible solutions, I'd like to know what they are.

haloman1493
07-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Whenever I start the game, I get a windows error and it immediately shuts down. This just started, I played for about 40 minutes a few hours beforehand.

jwintermute
07-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Whenever I start the game, I get a windows error and it immediately shuts down. This just started, I played for about 40 minutes a few hours beforehand.

I had the same problem - I'm going through the game a second time (having lost all my achievements), and I suddenly get "The program has stopped working" when starting it. I deleted the local content, re-downloaded and that fixed it. And this time, it didn't wipe my achievements! :)

I think it may be due to me messing with the video options. I've just installed a new card and have been trying things (seems this game certainly works the graphics card - the fan gets going very quickly, none of my other games do that ...)

YoshiSoldier
07-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Okay, so I've tried pretty much everything suggested here, and nothing I do can make my game work. When I start up, Steam tries to install something called "Microsoft VC Redlist," and then it opens up the game which is a black screen and a windows message telling me it's not working. I managed to paste the report onto a text file, and yes, it seems something is wrong with TryGame-Win32-Shipping.exe. If there are any other possible solutions, I'd like to know what they are.

yeah, that's my error too, a black box fills over half of my screen and an error about "not being able to create D3D9 device and that it can happen if the desktop is locked"

what does that even mean? my desktop isn't locked as far as I know

wolftamer9
10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
I contacted Square Enix a few months ago and they gave me a few suggestions that didn't work, so I gave up. Then, recently, I decided to contact them again, and after trying something else with no success, they finally told me my graphics card didn't meet the specs. So to anyone having this problem, you might just have to update your graphics card if you ever want to play this game. Sorry.

SlightSarcasm
03-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Go to My documents > My Games > And delete the unrealengine3 folder, then launch the game. Might not work for all. But I hope it works for some.

Grahamf
03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
I'd say check this site.
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

I checked it and as it turns out my desktop fails horribly as my ATI X1600 is too slow.

I'd really love it if Steam could warn me of that before purchase.

Fortunately my laptop has a Nvifia 620M