PDA

View Full Version : Inverting hat switch axis?

McMasterGold
06-24-2012, 12:28 PM
This has been bugging me ever since I started playing Flight, and now it's completely unbearable.

Is there any way to invert the left/right axis of the hat switch when turning the spot plane view? I'm so used to the axis being the other way around in Flight Simulator and it's always painful for me to turn the spot plane view in Flight. Is there anyway to invert the axis?

Heimi77
06-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Requested to invert the L/R Axis since beta, no feedback so far...

McMasterGold
06-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Requested to invert the L/R Axis since beta, no feedback so far...

Really? That's terrible.

McMasterGold
06-25-2012, 02:25 AM
I know that there's no official way to invert it, but has anyone tried to do so from the game's files or something?

FS Tester
06-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Folks have probably tried, but I have not seen anyone post a solution. The keyboard, mouse & joystick controls are stored in a file called standard.xml.

The hatswitch is, I believe, controlled by the following POV entry in the file:

<SimControls.Map>
<MapName>name of your joystick>{a long number}</MapName>
<MapVersion>7</MapVersion>
<POV>
<Index>0</Index>
<Down>
<EventName>PAN_VIEW</EventName>
<EventUnits>meter</EventUnits>
<Repeat>32.000000</Repeat>
</Down>
</POV>
</SimControls.Map>

Unlike some of the other controls, it is a single entry, with no "left", "right", "up" or "down" variants, so it appears that the functionality of the hatswitch is hard-coded & not alterable by users.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, McMasterGold :(

McMasterGold
06-28-2012, 03:57 AM
OK, since there's no solution (and I'm about to give up the joystick on Flight), I'm making a request that Microsoft lets us invert the axis. I have no idea why they made this decision, so I would like an official response on this.

On a side note, I've noticed that the camera movement with the hat switch on any view is quite jerky, and not as fluid as FSX. Does anybody else get that?

FS Tester
06-29-2012, 11:38 AM
For me, it depends a lot on what is going on outside the cockpit. If Flight & the video card are having to deal with a lot of complex mesh or scenery, the hatswitch POV loses some of its "smoothness" compared to when I'm flying in less computationally-challenging scenery areas. I see the same when using FSX.

I have noticed that Flight utilizes my CPU & GPU far more than FSX, which I view as a good thing. No point paying for hardware that is then consistently underutilized by software!

McMasterGold
06-29-2012, 11:55 AM
For me, it depends a lot on what is going on outside the cockpit. If Flight & the video card are having to deal with a lot of complex mesh or scenery, the hatswitch POV loses some of its "smoothness" compared to when I'm flying in less computationally-challenging scenery areas. I see the same when using FSX.

I have noticed that Flight utilizes my CPU & GPU far more than FSX, which I view as a good thing. No point paying for hardware that is then consistently underutilized by software!

It's not that. I always get that jerky movement in Flight, and never in FSX.

Also FSX utilizes my GPU and all 6 cores of my CPU.

McMasterGold
07-07-2012, 02:36 AM
I don't like bumping old threads, but I feel an issue like this doesn't deserve to be on the second page of the support forum. I kindly ask someone from Microsoft to reply to this, or even fix it in the game.

If that's the way Microsoft wanted the axis to be, can't you at least let us invert it?

McMasterGold
08-11-2012, 05:04 AM
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/364794-tweaking-the-free-look-camera/

According to this, the reversed L/R panning is a limitation of the LIVE interface and not something the developers could change.

Oh well. If FS11 ever comes out, please don't make the LIVE interface mandatory.

The Pandanator2
08-11-2012, 06:40 AM
If you can't bring Flight to FSX, bring FSX to Flight.

FSX is a lot more about messing around in the files, I'm sure you could find something in there that could let you invert the hat switch axis, to make everything the same for you. Of course I haven't tried it in FSX, but I'm sure with a little looking around you can find something.

McMasterGold
08-11-2012, 07:14 AM
If you can't bring Flight to FSX, bring FSX to Flight.

FSX is a lot more about messing around in the files, I'm sure you could find something in there that could let you invert the hat switch axis, to make everything the same for you. Of course I haven't tried it in FSX, but I'm sure with a little looking around you can find something.

That's not what I mean. It's not my intention to make both sims the same, I want the L/R panning to be like in FSX because that's what I've been used to. For the past two months I've been exclusively using Flight and I can't get used to that; now that I'm back to FSX it feels right.

I still use both, but I fly using the mouse in Flight.

LHookins
08-11-2012, 08:43 AM
It turns out that if you use TrackIR, the external pan axes in Flight are correct: if you turn your head to the right, your view of the aircraft looks to the right as well. It's actually FSX that has it backwards.

Yeah, it took me forever to get used to the "backwards" axis in Flight, but now I have to look for a way to fix it in FSX.

Hook

McMasterGold
08-11-2012, 09:41 AM
It turns out that if you use TrackIR, the external pan axes in Flight are correct: if you turn your head to the right, your view of the aircraft looks to the right as well. It's actually FSX that has it backwards.

Yeah, it took me forever to get used to the "backwards" axis in Flight, but now I have to look for a way to fix it in FSX.

Hook

Though with the hat switch, FSX has it correct. When panning to the right, the camera should be panning to the right, not the aircraft.

FSX is easily customisable and I'm sure you'll fix your issue. Flight is not.

LHookins
08-11-2012, 06:28 PM
The problem with FSX is that the hat switch moves one way vertically, the other way horizontally. Both should move either the camera or the scene. In Flight, this is the way it works. We all just got use to the way FSX does it. I had the same problem with Flight as you did for a couple of months before I got used to it. I didn't know until I got TrackIR that Flight was the one doing it right.

Hook

tzen
08-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Did you find a fix for FSX, LHookins?

LHookins
08-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Did you find a fix for FSX, LHookins?

I haven't been looking yet (too busy flying), but if I find one I'll post it here. I doubt there's a way to fix it. I might be wrong. :)

Edit: OK, I looked. If there's a fix, it's not anything obvious in the camera config file. We went through all that with Flight trying to get it to work like FSX without any luck.

There may be a way to fix it with an external program, but it won't be straightforward. It requires knowing if you're in the cockpit or an external view.

Since panning works in FSX with TrackIR, but somehow tilting up or down has no effect, there maybe be something NaturalPoint can do to fix it. I haven't checked their forums for a solution. There's nothing obvious in the TrackIR options.

Hook