PDA

View Full Version : The Last Remnant finally gets a decent sale

DM36
06-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Gamersgate has The Last Remnant on sale for a whopping $7.50. Lower than I have ever seen Steam put it on sale for.

TLR is one of those strange games that has had it's price go up, and than back down. As it was $39.99 for a long while, and than went up to $49.99 for a few months. Recently it has dropped down to $29.99.

Regardless though TLR is also one of those games that is severely overpriced on Steam. A fault of the publishers mind you. Quite a few other games are guilty of this as well. Silent Hill: Homecoming being another notorious example.

Anyway, anyone who wanted TLR, but refused to pay the overpriced figure the publisher wants on Steam, fear not. The GG version is in fact redeemable on Steam.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TLR/the-last-remnant-tm

Also, if you have IGN Prime, you get an extra 15% off :D

Zukabazuka
06-25-2012, 12:17 AM
They had this game on sale so many times over the year and during Christmas it was around 75% off.

0xiDIzE
06-25-2012, 12:18 AM
I would think that the most important question then would be, is it even worth that price? From my understanding, The Last Remnant is basically the sloppy seconds of JRPGs that PC gamers just have to settle for because none of the better ones get ported.

DM36
06-25-2012, 12:19 AM
They had this game on sale so many times over the year and during Christmas it was around 75% off.

And it has never been this cheap.

I would think that the most important question then would be, is it even worth that price? From my understanding, The Last Remnant is basically the sloppy seconds of JRPGs that PC gamers just have to settle for because none of the better ones get ported.

Well, there have not been many good JRPGs this gen period. Even on consoles. and its not sloppy seconds when you consider the 'okay' console version was completely overhauled, with more changes than I can count.

Just take a look at all of the changes. (http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Differences_between_Xbox_360_and_PC_versions)

GirlPower23
06-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Good Sale, although curious what relevance this has to do with Steam?

DM36
06-25-2012, 12:32 AM

Because it is available on steam, and the GG version is the steamworks version.

MIK3K
06-25-2012, 12:36 AM
I picked this up for $9.99 on 07/08/2011 on steam according to my purchase history. Love me some Gamersgate though :)

DM36
06-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Yessir. $9.99 is the lowest Steam has ever had it.

GirlPower23
06-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Because it is available on steam, and the GG version is the steamworks version.

When was this game made Steamworks? Have you tried the GamersGate version to see if it does Activate on Steam?

OmegaRed60
06-25-2012, 12:41 AM
When was this game made Steamworks? Have you tried the GamersGate version to see if it does Activate on Steam?

It's always been redeemable on Steam. I bought mine from Amazon retail on release. It doesn't work without Steam.

DM36
06-25-2012, 12:41 AM

Requirements:
DRM:Steamworks (Requires a 3rd party download and account)

As shown on the store page.

wazups 2x
06-25-2012, 12:49 AM
It got an 8.3 on Metacritic, compare that to the Xbox 360 version that only got a 6.9.

So the changes they made for the PC version must have been pretty good.

OmegaRed60
06-25-2012, 12:54 AM
It got an 8.3 on Metacritic, compare that to the Xbox 360 version that only got a 6.9.

So the changes they made for the PC version must have been pretty good.

I never played the 360 version, but the PC version has a lot of content.

Too many changes for me to write here, but there's a wiki page specifically about these changes.

http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Differences_between_Xbox_360_and_PC_versions

As you can see this was one of the greater console to PC conversions. I can't think of many that went this far with improvements.

indonesia
06-25-2012, 01:24 AM
bet it's gonna go on sale for around the same price in a week or two

Maurog
06-25-2012, 02:32 AM
I bought it for 12.5 bucks two years and a half ago. Didn't regret it one bit.

graspee
06-25-2012, 03:10 AM
I bought it on 16 Oct 2011 for 5.00 but I've never really played it ; ;

Corpekata
06-25-2012, 03:17 AM
bet it's gonna go on sale for around the same price in a week or two

Even if the game goes on sale for 75 percent off on Steam it's just going to match that price, so if you actually want the game you might as well get it a week early.

Stoib
06-25-2012, 04:59 AM
Hmm $6.38 with the 15% ign prime discount way back from the free trial. Seems like a decent enough game to throw into the already ridiculous backlog pile :D

Washell
06-25-2012, 05:02 AM
€9,99 on December 16 2009. Still on my to play list, never actually played beyond running it for 5 minutes.

Nekomancer
06-25-2012, 05:32 AM
Pre-Ordered the game after playing the demo, don't regret paying full price for this gem, although it's a bit rough around the edges. But the wiki helps to compensate that.

Sinhealer
06-25-2012, 05:43 AM
Anyone else having problems loading the gamersgate site?

Jmcmatrixs
06-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Your serial(s) will be available in about 15 minutes.
In the meantime, you can start downloading the game.

FAIL.

Snakethesniper
06-25-2012, 06:13 AM
actually today is the first day of square enix week on GG, so maybe one day it'll be 75% off (I doubt that), so I think I'll wait the last day of the sale

AlanOC91
06-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Hmm have this on the 360 and couldnt get into it, I think its a very fun game but the HORRIBLE lag/fps drops on the 360 ruin most of the experience so I might just pick this up. I heard some hard battles/boss battles can take a couple of hours!

T@F
06-25-2012, 06:49 AM
actually today is the first day of square enix week on GG, so maybe one day it'll be 75% off (I doubt that), so I think I'll wait the last day of the sale

I was thinking the same thing.
It might go 75% off.

Hammershank
06-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Thanks for this thread. Now i can pick up last remnant cheap finally.

Skelter92
06-25-2012, 07:11 AM

D'aawh baby mod.

Nekomancer
06-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Hmm have this on the 360 and couldnt get into it, I think its a very fun game but the HORRIBLE lag/fps drops on the 360 ruin most of the experience so I might just pick this up. I heard some hard battles/boss battles can take a couple of hours!

Male cow excrement, no battle takes this long. My longest fight was 45 minutes on a boss. And that was extraordinary long, normally they don't take as long.

Also, the FPS problems are fixed in the PC version, which is superior to the console version in any way imaginable, thanks to SquareEnix fixing/improving a lot of stuff.

wazups 2x
06-25-2012, 07:25 AM

From what I understand there's a new "turbo mode" for the PC version which makes boss battles much faster.

Also, the lag/fps drops aren't a problem with the PC version.

AlanOC91
06-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Male cow excrement, no battle takes this long. My longest fight was 45 minutes on a boss. And that was extraordinary long, normally they don't take as long.

Also, the FPS problems are fixed in the PC version, which is superior to the console version in any way imaginable, thanks to SquareEnix fixing/improving a lot of stuff.

Some claim otherwise:
http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/the-longest-boss-battle-you-ve/807078?page=3

I also heard it from Zeitgeist Review on youtube.
Im not saying your wrong, thats probably the way you played the game, each person would be different of course, as with any game.

The FPS problems were the major major flaw for me so I might just pick this up, I was enjoying the story and the combat (although that took me a while to start enjoying, I found it strange not to be allowed to directly pick exact actions for each person).

From what I understand there's a new "turbo mode" for the PC version which makes boss battles much faster.

Also, the lag/fps drops aren't a problem with the PC version.

Ah that could explain it, all the sources I heard from played the 360 version.

Does this game fully support an xbox 360 pad? (mapping the buttons to the UI) I would like to hook this up to my TV and play from there.

OmegaRed60
06-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Some claim otherwise:
http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/the-longest-boss-battle-you-ve/807078?page=3

Im not saying your wrong, thats probably the way you played the game, each person would be different of course, as with any game.

The FPS problems were the major major flaw for me so I might just pick this up, I was enjoying the story and the combat (although that took me a while to start enjoying, I found it strange not to be allowed to directly pick exact actions for each person).

Ah that could explain it, all the sources I heard from played the 360 version.

Does this game fully support an xbox 360 pad? (mapping the buttons to the UI) I would like to hook this up to my TV and play from there.

Yeah, it's fully compatible with ANY PC controller. The options allow for fully configurable mouse, keyboard, and any random controller which you can fully configure yourself to any liking.

I also think any talk of a 2hr. battle sounds greatly exaggerated. A lot of people don't fully understand the union system and kinda try to hammer their way through like it's a Final Fantasy game. With proper strategy it should only take less than an hour even on the most elite bosses.

If you haven't already, just try the demo.

Jmcmatrixs
06-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Ehh, 4.25 bought and downloading.

Almuyadin
06-25-2012, 08:56 AM
I was thinking the same thing.
It might go 75% off.

I'll wait then, wish more of the newer jrpgs would show up on steam.

Projector
06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Terrible game imo

paratech2008
06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I thought it was worth $9.99, but to each their own.

EMT0
06-25-2012, 09:42 AM
I just bought this game from Gamersgate(and I saw quite clearly that it said it requires Steam). I'm trying to insert the redeem code on Steam, but it doesn't accept it. Same thing for the Deus Ex addon I bought as well. Did I just get ripped off?

radicalnetwork
06-25-2012, 09:47 AM
I just bought this game from Gamersgate(and I saw quite clearly that it said it requires Steam). I'm trying to insert the redeem code on Steam, but it doesn't accept it. Same thing for the Deus Ex addon I bought as well. Did I just get ripped off?

Wait and retry, otherwise contact Gamersgate and tell them about your problem. I don't think you got ripped off, i bought more than once from that site and i never had problems. :)

How long will the sale last? I want to buy The Last Remnant too but i can't do it today...

AlanOC91
06-25-2012, 09:50 AM

Wait and try again later. GamersGate are a legit site. I bought it and activated it about 20 minutes ago. Contact them if you cant after waiting.
Wait and retry, otherwise contact Gamersgate and tell them about your problem. I don't think you got ripped off, i bought more than once from that site and i never had problems. :)

How long will the sale last? I want to buy The Last Remnant too but i can't do it today...

The sale is on for the week.

EMT0
06-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks to everybody who recommended waiting; I just got it to work :D

phkuxato
06-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I would think that the most important question then would be, is it even worth that price?

The average user score is around 8.

AlanOC91
06-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Ok so I played about 30 minutes of it now (skipped all the cutscenes and stuff, trying to catch up to where I was on the 360) and I am highly impressed. This version is FAR superior to the 360 version.
Everything is so smooth and slick, its run perfectly with no problems. It makes the 360 version look like a big mess. Very happy with this.

Snakethesniper
06-25-2012, 02:03 PM

I quote myself, apparently it'll be not on a daily according to these:
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_tue.jpg
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_wed.jpg
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_thu.jpg
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_fri.jpg
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_sat.jpg
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_sun.jpg

Ardbug
06-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Ok so I played about 30 minutes of it now (skipped all the cutscenes and stuff, trying to catch up to where I was on the 360) and I am highly impressed. This version is FAR superior to the 360 version.
Everything is so smooth and slick, its run perfectly with no problems. It makes the 360 version look like a big mess. Very happy with this.

Yeah from what I have seen of the console version on youtube the difference is pretty big, I run it with pretty much everything on and its smooth as silk, very nice port.

Almuyadin
06-25-2012, 03:01 PM
I quote myself, apparently it'll be not on a daily according to these:
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_tue.jpg
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_wed.jpg
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_thu.jpg
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_fri.jpg
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_sat.jpg
http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/w26_squenix_daily_sun.jpg

Oh, wow, nice finding! That means I don't have to wait anymore and I can buy it tonight. Thanks

Nekomancer
06-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Some claim otherwise:

I played the game a lot. Check my stats. I beat the game and killed most optional bosses. Funny thing is, the hardest boss is also one with the shortest battle, since you have to beat him in five rounds or it's game over for you.

Only once i really struggled to beat a boss, it was the Holy Servant dragon boss in the ancient ruins, that one was a real pain in the butt. Besides that, most take only a few minutes, 20 at most for the tougher ones.

AlanOC91
06-25-2012, 05:16 PM
I played the game a lot. Check my stats. I beat the game and killed most optional bosses. Funny thing is, the hardest boss is also one with the shortest battle, since you have to beat him in five rounds or it's game over for you.

Only once i really struggled to beat a boss, it was the Holy Servant dragon boss in the ancient ruins, that one was a real pain in the butt. Besides that, most take only a few minutes, 20 at most for the tougher ones.

Holy mother of god 305 hours played. Was most of that idle in the game or does that game actually offer that much content? :eek:

lazar
06-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Finally got it:)Thanks for info:P

Zloth
06-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Holy sweet mother of.... I think we had more posts in this forum today than over the past month! Might want to take a look at my newbie guide a few topics down.

I've got quite a few hours in the game, too. I like the combat system. A lot. Plus there are several characters to mix and match to change the game up a bit, along with a 'hard' mode.

Two hours for a boss? Errr, maybe that person got defeated and had to start over but didn't restart the clock? If you count that way, some of them could take a lot longer than two hours. Counting normally, though, the longest boss fight I had wasn't technically a boss but one of those giant eye things in the Ancient Ruins. I think that was about an hour long for me? There's a topic back there somewhere about the fight.

I have this game and...is boring.
It's only focused on farming and combat.No exploration,ugly plot and a TONS of combat.By the way,it's not a typical jrpg,you have not the direct control on the action of every single member of your party,but you give generic order.
I hate it,after 8 hours of game I was doing all the same things,so I uninstalled it.
The game has gotten rather infamous because it butchers people that try to farm their way to power. There isn't much exploration, as you say. The plot is OK - nothing very impressive but it does well enough. You definitely do not have control of every member of the party - nor would you want that when you have a dozen plus people in your party. After eight hours of play you are barely passed the tutorial sections so, frankly, you don't know squat about the game.

KnownUnknown
06-26-2012, 01:53 AM
I bought the game for $25 around two years ago and I still have regrets. I don't think the game is worth it for what Gamers Gate has it listed at.

TLR is not a bad game, but they should rename it Loading Screen Simulator just for clarity's sake. There a friggin' load screen for everything in the game: enter a shop, exit a shop, go to the main menu, leave the main menu, start combat, end combat, start cutscene, end cutscene, and on and on. They're a plague.

I got around 25 hours in before I realized that my actual playtime was about equal to the time I spent watching load screens come and go. I'm being facetious when I say that, but not really.

AlanOC91
06-26-2012, 06:31 AM
I bought the game for $25 around two years ago and I still have regrets. I don't think the game is worth it for what Gamers Gate has it listed at.

TLR is not a bad game, but they should rename it Loading Screen Simulator just for clarity's sake. There a friggin' load screen for everything in the game: enter a shop, exit a shop, go to the main menu, leave the main menu, start combat, end combat, start cutscene, end cutscene, and on and on. They're a plague.

I got around 25 hours in before I realized that my actual playtime was about equal to the time I spent watching load screens come and go. I'm being facetious when I say that, but not really.

I have to say the load screens for me take only around 10 seconds or so. They really do fly by. It could be the power of your pc, faster PC, faster load screens.

Be thankful you didnt give the damn Xbox 360 version a chance...so much wrong with it.

Zloth
06-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Ten seconds? To load a battle or a zone?? That sounds very high to me. I just tried it and even going from loading a save game to playing the game only takes about 5 seconds. I haven't installed to an SSD or anything, either.

AlanOC91
06-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Ten seconds? To load a battle or a zone?? That sounds very high to me. I just tried it and even going from loading a save game to playing the game only takes about 5 seconds. I haven't installed to an SSD or anything, either.

A battle, a zone loads very fast, small loading icon in the bottom right that flashes by. Some battles take around 10 seconds or so (glowy pre battle effect light flashes around 3 times) loading and saving the game is extremely fast for me.

indonesia
06-28-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm using a keyboard but the game shows me LB, X, A buttons..?? what are the corresponding keyboard input? it's probably in options somewhere but is it better to use an xbox controller?

QuentinBlackk
06-28-2012, 10:26 AM
IIRC, there is a setting to tell you the keyboard equivalents, i forget where exactly. I'm not sure which is better, I know I dont have a xbox controller... Hopefully, the PS2 clone controller I have will do it for me... If not, I'll just KB/M it.

EDIT 1: Or if you have X-Padder. But Im not sure if that will map all the same.
EDIT 2: Just grabbed it up.
So. Super. Pumped.

Zloth
06-28-2012, 06:17 PM
There's a setting in there somewhere in the options. I missed it at first, too.

I think the controller might be a bit easier to learn but the mouse/keyboard is better in the long run. Being able to use the mouse to look around is nice to have.

northreign
07-04-2012, 05:36 PM
load screen for everything in the game: enter a shop, exit a shop, go to the main menu, leave the main menu, start combat, end combat, start cutscene, end cutscene, and on and on.

Its a FinalFantasy tradition or JRPG if you want. Nothing new there.

DPB
07-04-2012, 08:04 PM

The Last Remnant (along with Mass Effect 2) is afflicted with a bug in the engine that causes long loading times in certain systems with Core 2 Duo processors. You have to alt-tab, then disable and re-enable one of the cores in Task Manager. Someone wrote a program (http://www.theplaywrite.com/tools-and-utilities/massaffinity-v0-2-released/) to automate this for ME2, but sadly there's nothing for TLR.

Kingo
07-05-2012, 01:19 PM
I've bought that game on GamersGate sale. Very nice game, no problems here. Just tweak it, so no issues.

Zloth
07-05-2012, 06:18 PM
The Last Remnant (along with Mass Effect 2) is afflicted with a bug in the engine that causes long loading times in certain systems with Core 2 Duo processors. You have to alt-tab, then disable and re-enable one of the cores in Task Manager. Someone wrote a program (http://www.theplaywrite.com/tools-and-utilities/massaffinity-v0-2-released/) to automate this for ME2, but sadly there's nothing for TLR.
OH! Now that's very interesting!

koima57
07-18-2012, 04:08 AM
Thanks just got it from GMG i was curious about this one for years.. Another exemple of overpriced game on Steam is Divinity II, Ego Draconis costing even more than the Dragon Knight Saga.

guyverone
07-18-2012, 12:04 PM
I got it for 25, which all in all wasn't a sale but after playing it I would have gladly paid full price. It's a very well made game and the additional pc port stuff is awesome!

TheRevanchist
07-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Got for $4.20 from GMG.

Base price $14.99
Sale price $8.99
20% off voucher from the free Beyond Divinity
Then $3 from the free Disciples II earlier this year

Comes down to $4.20

kenpojujitsu3
07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Another exemple of overpriced game on Steam is Divinity II, Ego Draconis costing even more than the Dragon Knight Saga.

IIRC that was because of an issue with the publisher of Ego Draconis...and that same issue is related to why Dragon Knight Saga came from a different publisher.

hamskin
07-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Did they even fix the terrible performance for shaders on AMD/ATI cards on this game?

chrissomerry
07-20-2012, 02:39 AM
Did they even fix the terrible performance for shaders on AMD/ATI cards on this game?

What sorts of problems (since I'm thinking of getting this if it gets voted onto the next sale, and I have an AMD 6470m with an A6 processor :-/)

Anything game breaking or just lower FPS (e.g. around 30 when you could have had 60)?

hamskin
07-20-2012, 03:01 AM
What sorts of problems (since I'm thinking of getting this if it gets voted onto the next sale, and I have an AMD 6470m with an A6 processor :-/)

Anything game breaking or just lower FPS (e.g. around 30 when you could have had 60)?
Not just 30, i'm talking extremely low, below 20FPS with shaders above low or off. This was on my 5770 awhile back. Right now i'm on a 6950 so i was wondering.

Zloth
07-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I've never heard of such problems. If there's a fix, though, it will have to come from AMD/ATI. Development for this game was closed off years ago.