PDA

View Full Version : Do your choices REALLY matter?

RageMonkey
06-30-2012, 02:07 AM
Aside from a few noticeable dialog changes...do your choices really affect the game in a more meaningful way? Who cares if someone likes you or doesn't like you if you chose X over Y if their actions won't be any different. The only differences I've noticed is the dialog of the characters.

I've only played through giving food out in Ep2. But up until this point, I don't think I've noticed any changes when I've gone back to make a different choice (throughout all of ep1 and the beginning of ep2).

I'm not looking for spoilers, esp since I've not gone very far into ep2 yet...I'm just wanting to see if I've missed anything tangible or if all the choices I make are really just affecting character dialog (vs their actions).

GrumpyGamerLP
06-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Aside from a few noticeable dialog changes...do your choices really affect the game in a more meaningful way? Who cares if someone likes you or doesn't like you if you chose X over Y if their actions won't be any different. The only differences I've noticed is the dialog of the characters.

I've only played through giving food out in Ep2. But up until this point, I don't think I've noticed any changes when I've gone back to make a different choice (throughout all of ep1 and the beginning of ep2).

I'm not looking for spoilers, esp since I've not gone very far into ep2 yet...I'm just wanting to see if I've missed anything tangible or if all the choices I make are really just affecting character dialog (vs their actions).

I don't think your choices make that much difference. I just view the game as a movie. It's fun to play each episode one time to see the story but the game has 0 replay value.

Retribution892
06-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't think your choices make that much difference. I just view the game as a movie. It's fun to play each episode one time to see the story but the game has 0 replay value.

I think going back to choose differently when it comes to who lives and who dies equates to a ton of replay value xD

at least more than 0

Nickq2007
06-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Well there are some major points where your decisions will cause the death of someone or save another. But in the end, it's just about developing the characters' relationships in different ways.

I think that's a lot, though. The game is based around story and character development and it's very well done.

ComradeLenin
06-30-2012, 06:48 PM

This.

I played through the 1st episode 4 times and just finished the 2nd one. It doesn't matter who likes you or who hates you in episode 1, because you can just change their opinion of you in episode 2.

I'd say, it's worth replaying at least once to see the variations but don't expect anything major. The most impressive thing that I saw that was imported was Clementine saying ♥♥♥♥ when she smelled the poop in the barn because that's what I said in the first episode.

Either way, the story, the characters, and the writing are all amazing. Just ignore their pretentious "The way you play the game will affect your story" rubbish that covers your screen when you start the game.

kozzy420
07-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Choices do make a difference, you can see that in episode 2 if you play if a bunch of times.

Retribution892
07-01-2012, 01:29 PM
yeah but the thing is, in episode 1 if you chose to save the reporter chick whose good with a gun, she comes back in episode 2 in a very major way. She uses her gun a bunch, is all stealthy when she saves you later on. I just cant imagine Doug doing the same thin that she does. Also, if you save the kid in episode 1, one of the farm hands uses him as a hostage when confronting Kenny. In fact its hard for me to imagine Episode 2 without the two characters that I ended up saving in episode 1

generally each episode is going to be similar, and of course the story is going to move down a pretty Linear path when it comes to the beginning and the end of each episode, but still, decisions concerning which characters to save seem to be pretty damn major decisions that alter the way each episode plays.

MadAzz
07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
yeah but the thing is, in episode 1 if you chose to save the reporter chick whose good with a gun, she comes back in episode 2 in a very major way. She uses her gun a bunch, is all stealthy when she saves you later on. I just cant imagine Doug doing the same thin that she does. Also, if you save the kid in episode 1, one of the farm hands uses him as a hostage when confronting Kenny. In fact its hard for me to imagine Episode 2 without the two characters that I ended up saving in episode 1

generally each episode is going to be similar, and of course the story is going to move down a pretty Linear path when it comes to the beginning and the end of each episode, but still, decisions concerning which characters to save seem to be pretty damn major decisions that alter the way each episode plays.

Regarding your spoiler, the second character you mention, that is the only possible outcome. I tried the other way, believe me. I wonder if its the same for the other. Cause it really doesn't feel like your choices make a change to the storyline.

I am still enjoying it anyways.

Bikes
07-01-2012, 08:21 PM

They play the same role. instead of noticing the brothers at the start, Doug sets up an alarm system around the wall that they set off. Then he also vanishes for most of the episode. When he comes back instead of using a gun he uses a laser pointer to distract the brother.

Arparso
07-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Well, you do get a gameplay experience tailored to the choices you made. The tone and style of character interactions and small story details do change depending on how you play. That being said, however, you don't really get a branching storyline and you will more or less experience the same events, no matter what you choose.

It's actually similar to the Mass Effect series, which often gets praised for all the choices you have to make. If you look closely, choices in Mass Effect are just as superficial as they are in the Walking Dead: e.g. in the first game, when deciding what crew member to save and who to sacrifice - this doesn't affect anything meaningful at all, you're still going to go through the same story events just as if you had picked the other one.

There really is no big branching storyline in Mass Effect, where you get to play different missions and experience totally different story events depending on your choices. It all plays out roughly the same, although the tone may change depending on how you play YOUR Shepard and dead characters will be replaced by others.

That's pretty much the same in The Walking Dead, just in a smaller package than the 30-50h games in the Mass Effect series. At least up until now - maybe they'll give us more story changes and actual branches in the coming episodes. I wouldn't hold my breath for that, though.

Pitdeadite
07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
If your choices matter....then I have yet to see where they factor in. For instance, Kenny starts yelling at me that I didn't back him and his son at the pharmacy, even though I was all about saving Duck. That bit of inane logic totally took me out of the game and so I quit playing. If I decide to start back up again, I will either have to find a way to make Kenny apologize, or take him out before he gets even crazier.

Medium_Rare
07-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Multiple plays isn't fun for me. Regardless of how the story may change, I think its fun to just play as "myself". It makes it more real and engaging.

Singing_gardner
07-02-2012, 10:02 AM
I think it would be impossible or really difficult and resource consuming to make choices really matter. Just think at a simple number of like 5 big choices per episode, if those had any really huge impacts on the main story arch, by the time we get to end of the 5th episode there will be a massive number of different endings, as the variables and such would have increased exponentially until that point

Not saying it can't be done, but to do something like that would be a serious task to complete

I appreciate the small ways in which your 5 big choices effect certain dialogue and stuff, they are interesting enough and varied enough to make you feel like you are actually choosing yet small enough so that they can create episodes every one or two months.

Gamer@Heart
07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I think it would be impossible or really difficult and resource consuming to make choices really matter. Just think at a simple number of like 5 big choices per episode, if those had any really huge impacts on the main story arch, by the time we get to end of the 5th episode there will be a massive number of different endings, as the variables and such would have increased exponentially until that point

Not saying it can't be done, but to do something like that would be a serious task to complete

I appreciate the small ways in which your 5 big choices effect certain dialogue and stuff, they are interesting enough and varied enough to make you feel like you are actually choosing yet small enough so that they can create episodes every one or two months.

This can be true, but seeing that each episode takes a month to be released, I don't think it's just for waiting. I actually think that telltale will go all out with the choices so much that it's a few movies in one. I can be wrong, of course, but I trust telltale. That, or otherwise it will be pretty much heavy rain "choices matter" style.

Your Momm
07-25-2012, 11:22 PM
they do make a bit of a gameplay difference as well as a diologe difference, because if someone hates you they aint gonna save your ♥♥♥ when ur in trouble... or they might try to kill you themselves

TheWildcard
08-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Your choices determine if its person a or person b who does an action...Thats about it.

Cooperal
08-18-2012, 07:26 AM
With only being 2 episodes in, I think some of us are being a little impatient with seeing the consequences of our choices fully mature.

***Spoilers and speculation ahead***

There is already plenty of Carly/Doug discussion so I'll leave that one aside.

The person that the game puts most emphasis on (arguably more than Lee himself) is Clementine.

Lee acts as a substitute for a parent as well as a role model for Clem. She may ask questions, she may seek reassurance, she may simply observe your actions and eventually adopt some of those characteristics for herself.

In episode 2, a potentially funny conversation can occur by interacting with Duck while in the barn. He comments on a foul smell. Lets just say it's a good thing that I taught Clem the word "Manure" in episode 1 instead of using that other word. Only a subtle sign of what can potentially be remembered.

To a more extreme extent it would not be at all surprising if your influence on her had the single most important impact at the finale. With a lack of reassurance and direct answers she could become very desensitised while the opposite could make her very sheltered and cowardly. We can teach her to love us or hate us. We could influence her opinion on when violence and dishonesty is the "right" answer.

She could kill us to save herself. She may cower and fail to save us. She may miss out on lessons that would later save someones life.

Then of course we've got the divide between Lilly and Kenny. A bomb waiting to go off. It may already be too late to choose who will stand with us. We could lose Kenny and his family along with him. We could lose Lilly and... whoever she can get to look up to her.

All in all, episodes 1-4 and most of 5 are bound to send us down the same multiple choice pipeline. How you build to the finale will matter. With no info about season 2, other than being confirmed, Telltale has the power to kill every single character if they pleased. Just like the finale of any game/film series.

To prevent such complexity of many season 1 choices carrying over to season 2... and to avoid alienating new players with such complex continuity, we may see an entire different cast.