PDA

View Full Version : Help With TF2 - Questions about Aiming

santufay
07-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Hello people of Steam Forums! I've been playing TF2 for quite some time now. (About 2 - 3 years?) I understand the game, am able to pogo, rocket jump, jump strafe, all that junk. Despite all my experience, I find that I am constantly in situations where I get dominated because I am bad at something as simple as aiming. I was hoping that you guys could give me tips, help, advice, etc. I also have a few questions if it's not too much trouble to answer them:
1. I've read a lot of guides, and many of them suggest to disable "pointer precision" and enable "raw input" in the TF2 settings. However, it feels awkward playing with that, even after a hour, and my aiming was even worse than before. Should I turn back on pointer precision and turn off raw input? (I currently have pointer precision on, and raw input off. )
2. I see lots of people seem to keep firing consecutive shots in Frag vids, YouTube vids, etc. Should I hold down my mouse/Spam the mouse or just click to fire?
3. Could anyone give me tips on my sensitivity? If It should be higher/lower for certain classes, and how to find the perfect sensitivity for me? Should I also turn on "mouse acceleration?"
4. Last but not least, what does the option that smoothes the mouse movement over two frames? What exactly does that do? Should I turn it on? Also, does the viewmodel_fov affect my aiming at all? What viewmodel_fov would you guys recommend?

Thanks for all your help guys! I appreciate any and every help given to me! :D

Index
07-11-2012, 05:22 PM
1. Whatever feels bet to you.

2. Never hold the fire button. Always click where your target is, take the extra time to make sure you hit your target. The people in the frag videos are shooting shots after their first. They never hold fire, they
Just click when they need to hit the target.

3. Use the one you have been using these past years. No mouse acceleration.

4. Viewmodel 90 because it's the least obstructive.

The Scyphozoa
07-11-2012, 05:28 PM
1. I've never been able to figure those out entirely myself. Just try every possible option and stick with whichever one feels best.

2. Depends on the situation. Are you using a Scattergun on someone who is moving around, trying to avoid you? Click when you have them in the crosshair. Or are you just spamming grenades around a corner? Hold it down.

3. Just like #1, it depends on what feels best to you.

4. No idea about the mouse setting, but I do know that viewmodels tend to be distracting when it comes to aiming. Practically everyone finds it less distracting at 90, but consider turning them off entirely (in advanced options) if that doesn't feel too weird. It won't work well for Spy, though.

santufay
07-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! One more question, does it make any difference at all if I just spam the mouse button or just do a single click?

augbog
07-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Use what you're comfortable with and STICK with it. Its okay to experiment but definitely jumping around trying different things isn't gonna improve your aim. You gotta stick with something and just keep playing with it. Eventually, you'll get used to it.

Another important tip for aiming I would say is that it is important to understand there are two ways of hitting your target -- you can turn to them or you can move. Example if there was someone in front of you to the left you could hit them two ways

1) you turn left and shoot
2) you strafe left and shoot

Learning to position yourself in ideal places and aiming accordingly is pretty important. Sometimes you don't have to aim with your mouse at all. If you keep up with the enemy, you can let them walk into your cross hairs. Don't let the enemy suck you into his rhythm. You have to be a step ahead of them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the help guys! One more question, does it make any difference at all if I just spam the mouse button or just do a single click?

It doesn't really make a difference if you are literally spamming the mouse button. Single clicking basically says to keep shooting as fast as possible. If you want to be shooting as fast as possible, its better to just hold the M1 but when it comes to aiming we would highly encourage you to shoot once at a time. If you hold the M1, you are basically forcing yourself to be ready to shoot right after you fire the first one and that isn't good. Every shot counts so take your time with it. The only difference between missing a shot and not shooting is you are left with one less bullet and you're temporarily vulnerable so don't go spraying and praying.

santufay
07-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Use what you're comfortable with and STICK with it. Its okay to experiment but definitely jumping around trying different things isn't gonna improve your aim. You gotta stick with something and just keep playing with it. Eventually, you'll get used to it.

Another important tip for aiming I would say is that it is important to understand there are two ways of hitting your target -- you can turn to them or you can move. Example if there was someone in front of you to the left you could hit them two ways

1) you turn left and shoot
2) you strafe left and shoot

Learning to position yourself in ideal places and aiming accordingly is pretty important. Sometimes you don't have to aim with your mouse at all. If you keep up with the enemy, you can let them walk into your cross hairs. Don't let the enemy suck you into his rhythm. You have to be a step ahead of them.

Hope this helps.

It doesn't really make a difference if you are literally spamming the mouse button. Single clicking basically says to keep shooting as fast as possible. If you want to be shooting as fast as possible, its better to just hold the M1 but when it comes to aiming we would highly encourage you to shoot once at a time. If you hold the M1, you are basically forcing yourself to be ready to shoot right after you fire the first one and that isn't good. Every shot counts so take your time with it. The only difference between missing a shot and not shooting is you are left with one less bullet and you're temporarily vulnerable so don't go spraying and praying.

So rapidly clicking would just be like holding down M1?

Rologton
07-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Aiming depends on a lot of things. Are you using a hitscan weapon or a projectile? Is it rapid fire (pistol, minigun) or single shot (shotguns, Scattergun)?

If it's projectile it's all about prediction, especially if you want a direct hit rocket or grenade. Generally it's better to use the explosive radius to your advantage. Only hold down the mouse button if your goal is to simply spam, which is usefull for keeping your opponants from using a corridor or a choke point. Otherwise, always conciously time your shots for what you think will be effective.

Rapid fire weapons are all about tracking. For these, you do hold down the mouse botton and do what you can to keep your crosshairs on the opponant for maximum damage. This is all about your mouse hand.

Other hitscan weapons generally require a mixture of tracking and twitch aiming. NEVER just hold down the mouse button, always conciously fire when your crosshairs are over your opponant. Like I said, this often involves some tracking and some twitching and really takes getting used to.

augbog
07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
So rapidly clicking would just be like holding down M1?

Yes. I recall there was a time when spamming was faster than holding M1 so people would make scripts to rapidly click but they patched that a while ago.

santufay
07-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Yes. I recall there was a time when spamming was faster than holding M1 so people would make scripts to rapidly click but they patched that a while ago.

Thanks for all your help!!! :) Does clicking to fire apply to other classes (demonan, soldier, sniper) not just hitscan weapons?