PDA

View Full Version : I Feel Like I'm Cheating...

Jim Fear
07-13-2012, 08:09 PM
..when I play older games in a higher resolution than they were meant to be. You always wind up seeing more of the screen than was intended, and it makes me hesitate to play it, in say, 1920x1080 when I know it's supposed to be played in 800x600 (using this game as my prime example).
Anyone else feel this way? Or am I just some anal retentive nutjob?

burningazrael
07-13-2012, 10:31 PM
I actually didn't even think about it til you said something. The only thing that's bugged me so far, is the little numbers on my potions are too small for me to read at high res. But I can just open the inventory to get around it.

Raze
07-13-2012, 10:44 PM
The disk version of DD supported 1024x786. I could play it at 1152x864 without the text becoming too small (before the font enlargement patch (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2789573)), but opening the main map at that resolution would rarely cause a crash on my system (rare enough I would forget to refrain from using the map or at least save first).

If you don't learn Elven/Ranger Sight, then equipment bonuses shouldn't get your character's sight range larger than you could see at 1024x786. I learned the first level of Elven Sight, and late in the game started avoiding equipment with sight bonuses, so my sight range wouldn't get larger than the screen size (the fog of war was handy to keep track of exactly where I had explored).

ForkTong
07-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Raze is correct: you won't see more of the map until you've actually already explored it (fog of war). And the enemies will only show up once they're in your sight range. You will often see enemies/NPCs walking out of sight, seemingly disappearing in thin air, while you think you should still see them. So you're not cheating.

Crosmando
07-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Funny, I rather love playing Fallout 1/2 and the Infinity Engine games in 1920x1080, you can fully appreciate the pre-rendered art without it being ugly and stretched over a modern LCD monitor.

Jim Fear
07-14-2012, 02:11 PM
thanks for the tips on the 1024x786, guys. Been playing it like that and I'm liking it alot :)