PDA

View Full Version : Can't Activate Max Payne 3, Error Contacting Activation Server?

cooperace27
07-14-2012, 01:31 AM
All Max Payne 3 content has to be associated with a Rockstar Games Social Club account, so I logged in with no problems (which I thought was odd considering the problems I have with logging in on GTA4). Then it wanted me to activate my Max Payne 3 by linking the accounts, so I click yes and all that pops up is "Error contacting activation server. Please try again later." My choices are try again, go back to start screen or exit the game.

I don't know what to do, as I've gone back 3 or 4 times now to try to activate and nothing has changed. I have no idea what to do and I'm utterly frustrated I can't play a single player offline game because of anti-piracy measures.

Relative image is relevant.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/1153170434521418332/9B8C40516E93298C6ACFD703363052FFA5FBB9B8/

What can I do besides just retrying to link the accounts?

Ashtonharmon
07-14-2012, 01:40 AM
i am also getting the same issue :(

took so long to download the 30 gigs and now this :( hopefully they fix their server soon time

i am also sometimes getting the error "no activations remaining"

chompenstein85
07-14-2012, 02:01 AM
I was getting that error. now i am not but i am getting an error saying "There are no activations remaining for this activation key." i have not entered any keys and it took me over 12 hours to download this game all i want to do is play.

Any ideas?

greezyp
07-14-2012, 02:36 AM
sucks not cool :(

ngr.papu
07-14-2012, 05:40 AM
I ended up in the same situation. First linking the accounts kept failing and eventually ended up getting info that my key is out of activations. I sent a support ticket to R* already then and waiting for them to reply.

marioandabeer
07-14-2012, 07:20 AM
I like to buy Max Payne 3, if this case not solve how can i buy this game from steam, only steam has this best price, especially on Rockstar Collection Bundle.

:confused:

ngr.papu
07-14-2012, 07:33 AM
I like to buy Max Payne 3, if this case not solve how can i buy this game from steam, only steam has this best price, especially on Rockstar Collection Bundle.

:confused:
Its probably temporary issue which they will get fixed up. After all, I wouldn't wonder if they're servers are overloaded or something else got wrong considering the Steam sales.

marioandabeer
07-14-2012, 12:12 PM
All Max Payne 3 content has to be associated with a Rockstar Games Social Club account, so I logged in with no problems (which I thought was odd considering the problems I have with logging in on GTA4). Then it wanted me to activate my Max Payne 3 by linking the accounts, so I click yes and all that pops up is "Error contacting activation server. Please try again later." My choices are try again, go back to start screen or exit the game.

I don't know what to do, as I've gone back 3 or 4 times now to try to activate and nothing has changed. I have no idea what to do and I'm utterly frustrated I can't play a single player offline game because of anti-piracy measures.

Relative image is relevant.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/1153170434521418332/9B8C40516E93298C6ACFD703363052FFA5FBB9B8/

What can I do besides just retrying to link the accounts?

I want to ask something.
- Do you already have an account on Social Club before you install it?
- Is it wrong making an account on Social Club after purchased Max Payne 3?

Hoping this case get solved soon.

PsPeet
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Same problem here, filed a ticket ~8 hours ago, still waiting. Not a satisfied customer I am.

chompenstein85
07-14-2012, 01:16 PM
at least its not just me. I made a ticket with R* support last night around 1am (currently 1pm now) and havent heard anything. ill let you know. im going to try making a twitter and asking that way.

ngr.papu
07-14-2012, 03:49 PM
I want to ask something.
- Is it wrong making an account on Social Club after purchased Max Payne 3?
You need the social club account anyways to run the game, so it really doesnt matter which way you do it. You can make it separately either before or after buying the game. Or if you want to wait until you're launching Max Payne 3 for the first time, it gives you the chance to create the account.

I will be replying here too, as soon as I get response from R* for my ticket.

cooperace27
07-14-2012, 07:04 PM
I'd like to note that my problem fixed itself. Just had to get back on and hit retry some more and it worked.

Warwalker
07-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Im having the same issue here!. I got the game yesterday, and cant get past the social club activation screen to this day!. pls find a fix for this.

here is a screenshot.
http://s8.postimage.org/57djwqz83/Untitled.png

Nuklear_Cow
07-15-2012, 02:57 AM
I have the same Problem :( R* Contact........waiting 2 Days

RedRock-
07-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Same problem here.. Now the error is: The activations available for this serial code are completed, contact support Rockstar Games... ._.I bought the damn game, and I want to play.

greezyp
07-15-2012, 11:58 AM
This is annoying I really want to play max payne 3. I have the same damn issue and I am getting the cold shoulder from Rockstar like many of you! So lame.

Ashtonharmon
07-15-2012, 12:11 PM
over 24 hours since i placed my ticket..............this sucks

PsPeet
07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Still nothing :mad:

chompenstein85
07-15-2012, 12:51 PM
This is what i got from them via twitter, just a bull♥♥♥♥ answer. nothing from the support ticket yet. im linking them to this forum. this is the first time ive been disappointed in rockstar since they made that ping pong game.

1h Rockstar Support ‏@RockstarSupport
@SupportQuestion If you tried to activate twice within the same day, that could happen. Please wait for the timer to reset.

Ashtonharmon
07-15-2012, 01:39 PM
that's bull.....fix your servers or send me a new cd key

don.pedro
07-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Yeah I went from "cannot contact activation server" errors to "no more activations remaining for this key". Submitted a ticket on Friday but no reply. Always fun to be treated like a criminal and locked out of products you pay for.

ngr.papu
07-16-2012, 12:29 AM
To my tweet they didn't/haven't responded at all.

This is the first time I'm ever having any issues with R* games, so otherwise I dont have anything to complain about. I just hope R* would react to this already. It is so frustrating when you have bought the game, but the time to react on activation issues is from somewhere where the sun doesnt shine. It's should be one of those most prioritized issues :P

Ticket #378212 at Jul 14 04:50 am by their server time, still waiting for reply (request is awaiting assignment to a help desk operator). Though they might not be working on weekend (don't know), long delay in reply could be explained by that.

Quite a lot of patience seems to be needed with them, I hope you have it too :)

PsPeet
07-16-2012, 04:23 AM
...how about you guys?

melboy
07-16-2012, 09:44 AM
i am having this problem too, i have tried everything and still nothing, i have even opened the ports that are needed for this game.
i get the error saying "There are no activations remaining for this activation key"
i seriously have no idea what to do, i have spoken to r* and they cant issue me a new cd key, steam has to.

i think it could be where everyone has bought this for 15 and it has conflicted with everyones cd key. maybe,maybe not
if anyone could help me with this i will be satisfied, theres no use just leaving a game in the computer for no reason is there?

TripleBam
07-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Activation timer, huh. Interesting...

If it fails the first time, as with any oh-my-god-i-want-to-play-it shooter, you must treat the virgin game data with respect. Restart the rig, restart the game, restart your modem, come to think of it.

lol activation timer. it's like steam's "cant search twice in one minute sry"

Ashtonharmon
07-16-2012, 10:04 AM
i just sent in a steam ticket regarding cd key see what happens

ngr.papu
07-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I got first reply from R* to my ticket. Replied to it and waiting for them again. Hopefully it resolves on the next time I hear from them and a little faster as well ;)

Will keep you updated with more information if I should have something valuable for you.

melboy
07-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for some info, hope you sort it out as well

one more thing do you think i should buy the disk just to save all this fuss?

TripleBam
07-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks for some info, hope you sort it out as well

one more thing do you think i should buy the disk just to save all this fuss?
might not necessarily fix it, since it's an online activation thing. hard copy is always nice though. maybe steam or rock* will hook you up. it's known to happen.

melboy
07-16-2012, 10:47 AM
might not necessarily fix it, since it's an online activation thing. hard copy is always nice though. maybe steam or rock* will hook you up. it's known to happen.

Thank you for answering, i have tried to contact steam will wait for a reply

ngr.papu
07-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Got some information regarding my situation, but they're still looking deeper into the matter, so it's not solved just yet. Happy though to the speed of replies for now :)

You can also check this in the meanwhile / subscribe to it: http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/21517493-nothing-happening-or-no-activations-remaining-when-clicking-ok-to-link-steam-with-social-club

RedRock-
07-16-2012, 12:30 PM
They answered to my ticket! here's the responde.. I'm use google translate because I haven't enough time to translate (it's in italian)

Hi,
Thank you for contacting technical support Rockstar.
Probably because of a connectivity problem or a temporary malfunction of the server. Check that there is no firewall Crean conflicts with the game. Also check that port 443 is open (can use the site www.canyouseeme.org) and if the open.
If it is a key problem, advise you to contact support so that steam can control the code that they sent. They should be able to tell you what to do. https://support.steampowered.com/
If they were not able to help you let us know.
friendliness
Dominic C

Hope google translate did a nice work. :)

Mortent
07-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I've had the exact same problems. Installed with no trouble, but as soon as I try to activate it on social club, it just keeps spinning the damn "please wait" sign. I've tried everything, from disabling firewall, reinstalling social club, repairing the DX and vcredist, reinstalling max payne, every single thing i could think of. I have asked support, but they gave me some questions 3 days after my inquiry, and after that have yet to respond back (4 days ago since reply). I have honestly no idea of what to do now :(

chompenstein85
07-16-2012, 05:11 PM
looks like their official answer is:
"We are looking into this now.
http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/21517493-freezing-or-no-activations-remaining-when-clicking-ok-to-link-steam-with-social-club?locale=1"

pnoozi
07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Ahhh. Good times. I remember when I had to go through this bull♥♥♥♥. Then it mysteriously fixed itself.

Anyway this problem has been going on for a while

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31019277
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31019246
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2730408
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2731310

Dave3d
07-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Have you people all installed .net 3.0, 3.1, 3.5, 4.0 (yes, ALL of them)?
Try that.

Edit:
Also run MS update after installing them.

FiveAm
07-17-2012, 01:56 AM
I had the same problem after downloading and installing the game.

My solution was that I went to my email that they sent me saying "Welcome to the Rockstar Games Social Club‏" verifed my email address, logged in on their website and set my country.

Then suddenly the game accepted the activation.

Hope this helps.

kokodai
07-17-2012, 04:21 AM
i just tried that email thing, apparently i never clicked it before. BUUUT still doesn't work for me. I'm having problems with that renderer.dll, if i launch renderer.exe manually, the renderer.dll produces a fault. :mad:

Wohoo69
07-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Hi I have a bit different problem, but Im stuck on the activation thing like you guys. After doing all the crap just to start the game I got stuck at the activating part in the way that I can not see any field to fill in the key code. When I click on yes to link the accounts it just say that I need to fill in the code, but there is no bar or anything to put the code in.

I tried to find some way on the rockstar social site to do it there, but I could not find anything :(

Here is the picture of my problem after clicking the yes button, before the clikc its the same just without the X saying about filling the key :
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/640/photo2zb.jpg

Anyone have some idea what to do with it? I already did the -windowed -savemode thing but that didnt help.
I also tried some regediting but that didnt help eather:(

kokodai
07-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Hi I have a bit different problem, but Im stuck on the activation thing like you guys. After doing all the crap just to start the game I got stuck at the activating part in the way that I can not see any field to fill in the key code. When I click on yes to link the accounts it just say that I need to fill in the code, but there is no bar or anything to put the code in.

I tried to find some way on the rockstar social site to do it there, but I could not find anything :(

Here is the picture of my problem after clicking the yes button, before the clikc its the same just without the X saying about filling the key :
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/640/photo2zb.jpg

Anyone have some idea what to do with it? I already did the -windowed -savemode thing but that didnt help.
I also tried some regediting but that didnt help eather:(

at first i didn't have the box to enter the key too, but it appeared after i ran steam+maxpayne as admin. I can't remember whether i gave admin rights to the socialclub thing as well.
another possibility is running the social club in win2003 compatibility. give it a shot, sorry i can't give you an exact answer, i was fiddling around with it so much i couldn't remember the exact steps i used.

melboy
07-17-2012, 05:53 AM
at first i didn't have the box to enter the key too, but it appeared after i ran steam+maxpayne as admin. I can't remember whether i gave admin rights to the socialclub thing as well.
another possibility is running the social club in win2003 compatibility. give it a shot, sorry i can't give you an exact answer, i was fiddling around with it so much i couldn't remember the exact steps i used.

Still doesnt work, sigh, do you guys think ill get a refund?

melboy
07-17-2012, 05:56 AM
This really is getting out of hand now, R* really should have tested this game before releasing it!

I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING :eek: :mad:

melboy
07-17-2012, 05:58 AM
Has anyone actually got past this yet?
THIS ERROR i mean : There are no activations remaining for this activation key
Guys????????

kb320e
07-17-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm waiting too. Sent a ticket at "Jul 14 04:33 am" and my ticket status is "This request is awaiting assignment to a help desk operator".

RedRock-
07-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Here's the response to my ticket to Steam, Hope it will help you guys..

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello Redrock,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

If you are currently running Vista or Windows 7, please complete the instructions in the following link:

Title: Windows 7 and Vista Troubleshooting
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5688-IFHZ-2170

If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps:
1) Exit Steam.
2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".
3) Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
4) Right click and select "Permissions"
5) Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".

The remaining steps apply to *all* versions of Windows.

Please also verify the GCF for this game as outlined here:

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Note: Files may fail to verify. This is normal and can be ignored.

Then test the issue.

If you still have difficulty, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Max Payne 3 installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\max payne 3\)

Run the following installers:

...\Steamapps\common\max payne 3\MP3_Installers\DirectXdxwebsetup.exe
...\Steamapps\common\max payne 3\MP3_Installers\vcredist_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\common\max payne 3\MP3_Installers\Social Club Setup.exe

Reboot your computer and test the issue again.

If the issues persist, please complete these guides:

Title: This game is currently unavailable
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4595-WEXN-6831

Title: Games do not run after 'Preparing to Launch'
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568

Further support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the instructions below to contact the support provider to troubleshoot this issue:

Title: Max Payne 3
Link: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7444-ERUO-0002

Anytime you wish you can view your question online:
https://support.steampowered.com/view.php?ticketref=7668-QWUP-2598

Vashv17
07-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Ok I've heard of a step to manually run social club before you launch the game helps, but I don't know where to manually launch it from. I have the latest one installed but I don't know where the .exe is for me to run it do any of you guys know?

jaycob
07-17-2012, 10:14 AM
i just unlinked all my acc's to it then spam activated till it worked then linked all my acc's back up again.

greezyp
07-17-2012, 01:53 PM
No response from steam or rock*... When I log into social club on their website it knows I have Max Payne attached to my account. For some reason it still wants to link/activate MP3 even though its already activated. And that's the error I get "There are no activations remaining for this activation key. Please contact rockstar support."

Theres this known issue
http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/21517493-freezing-or-no-activations-remaining-when-clicking-ok-to-link-steam-with-social-club

I really don't want to reinstall... 30gigs. Send me the discs or refund.

chompenstein85
07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
GOT IT!!
This is probably a fluke thing but:

I copied the max payne folder in "Common" and pasted it to inside my steam username folder. Launching that triggered a chance to enter my key BEFORE the account linking. It still gave me the same "no activations remaining" error yesterday. so i ended up entering the code twice. after a few errors i gave up yesterday.

today i just launched. didnt enter a key. and it activated.

hope that helps.

ngr.papu
07-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I didnt get response from R* since the last update I made here, but apparently my issue between linking Steam and R* SC accounts (and therefore the activation as well) solved out by itself.

Let's see if I still get a response from them.

RedRock-
07-17-2012, 03:28 PM
IT WORKSSS!!
Just COPY the max payne folder from Common to your username folder, and then launch with MaxPayne.exe inside the folder.. Use the administrator, and when appears the screen with the "You want to collegate the Steam account with the Social club..." press Yes and it will activate the code!

Nice, you're my god chompenstein85!!

chompenstein85
07-17-2012, 03:56 PM
hahaha glad it worked. its a fun game! wish it didnt take 5 days to play it.

Vashv17
07-17-2012, 04:07 PM
It suddenly worked for me. Idk. steam sent me a message telling me to verify my files, etc. everything we've all heard and did before. But Idecided to verify it just for the hell of it. and it worked. even tho i tried to verify the files before. idk. I'm hoping this isnt some fluke that will work for now but bring me back to the drawing board tomorrow. I sent them an ticket asking for a new cd key, so idk if they looked at it and verified it or not but i hope this info helps somebody. also you can add me on steam so we can play some mp. Steam ID: Vashv17

rockstarsupport3
07-17-2012, 05:00 PM
If you were experiencing activation errors when clicking OK to link your SC Account to Steam, followed by "no activations remaining" errors in the Steam-linking pop-up, please try again now.

We have made a slight change to the back end.

If you are still experiencing the same problem, please provide your Social Club and Steam account information, along with the key typed out in a ticket:

http://support.rockstargames.com/anonymous_requests/new

greezyp
07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Rock* fixed whatever they had to on the back end to get to work... thanks but I don't know why this is a issue when game isn't even that new any more... anyways cheers

kokodai
07-18-2012, 06:09 AM
IT WORKSSS!!
Just COPY the max payne folder from Common to your username folder, and then launch with MaxPayne.exe inside the folder.. Use the administrator, and when appears the screen with the "You want to collegate the Steam account with the Social club..." press Yes and it will activate the code!

Nice, you're my god chompenstein85!!

sorry, please enlighten me, what steam username folder do you mean?
do you mean like c:\users\username\documents\rockstar games?
so what will the final path look like?

i tried it again, whatever rockstar did, it didn't work for me

fixorater
07-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Just wanted to let you know this solution worked for me and saved me a lot of frustration. Steam / rockstar were no hope but this finally worked! I'm loving the game.

Anyways- I've helped spread your solution around for folks that may not be paying attention to this forum.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Max_Payne_3#Steam_Version_Product_Key_Activation_E rrors

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/wqou8/if_any_of_you_were_having_activation_problems/

Where appropriate I've given you credit. Just wanted to know you've helped out many people, and we appreciate it.

chompenstein85
07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
sorry, please enlighten me, what steam username folder do you mean?
do you mean like c:\users\username\documents\rockstar games?
so what will the final path look like?

i tried it again, whatever rockstar did, it didn't work for me

the folder ...\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<steam user name>

just move the entire 'Max Payne 3' folder from '...\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common'

kokodai
07-19-2012, 07:49 AM
the folder ...\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<steam user name>

just move the entire 'Max Payne 3' folder from '...\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common'

this user name folder doesn't exist for me? strange...:confused:
did you ever change your alias in steam? I did before, so i'm not sure if this affects it

kokodai
07-22-2012, 02:02 AM
https://picasaweb.google.com/106211707294173450016/MaxPains?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCN6d5pKasJ7vYA&feat=directlink

I just did a quick check on whether max payne was failing the internet connections to the server.

Those were screenshots of the processes accessing the network. I don't know if this helps, but I attach this link to my open ticket as well. Its really sad.

kokodai
07-26-2012, 06:23 AM
Problem:
Stuck at 'activation' exactly like this guy's video:
http://youtu.be/9XH6LlEJXsw

Solution:
try changing the line <DirectXVersion value="2"/> (it was value 0 for me at first) in the file C:\Users\kokodai\Documents\Rockstar Games\max payne 3\graphics.xml.
It successfully got into the game after that. I tried 4 times, succeeded entering 2x, other 2x it got stuck at the opening credits.

i had it working on my desktop which had the value 2, so i just blindly followed this setting on my laptop which was previously not working.

I guess the graphics API has something to do with it. My desktop has an old ATI card with DirectX 10.1 and my laptop is a GFx550M

Good luck guys.
P.S. Rockstar support sucks.

Sejf
07-26-2012, 11:07 AM
I have a different problem with this ♥♥♥♥ty RSC. I've been playing the game for 10 hours already and guess what. Today when I wanted to sign in it says my email/password are wrong, even though I haven't changed a thing. The best part - I can sign in through browser without problems but not in-game.

Huralagos
11-26-2012, 07:54 AM
GOT IT!!
This is probably a fluke thing but:

I copied the max payne folder in "Common" and pasted it to inside my steam username folder. Launching that triggered a chance to enter my key BEFORE the account linking. It still gave me the same "no activations remaining" error yesterday. so i ended up entering the code twice. after a few errors i gave up yesterday.

today i just launched. didnt enter a key. and it activated.

hope that helps.

So far no luck for me. I did not have an folder with my User Name, so I made one and move the game folder there. Now the game locks up at the first credit screen when running the game as admin from the folder.

*update* I got the game to go to the activate key part ONCE and still got the error connecting to authorization server message. Since then it is back to locking up at the credit screen.

This is so not worth the game no matter it was on sale for $15, and steam wont give a refund.

Huralagos
11-26-2012, 08:00 AM
strange, just got it to work. Finally got to the activation part and error came up but spammed the button a few times and it accepted it.