PDA

View Full Version : Is Cities XL at all like Sim City?

andrewroxors
07-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I am always on the lookout for Sim City type games and 75% off seems like a good time to get it.

Does this game have any resemblance to Sim City? How does it play? I really wish there was a demo for this thing.

Tufty94
07-15-2012, 12:30 PM
I am always on the lookout for Sim City type games and 75% off seems like a good time to get it.

Does this game have any resemblance to Sim City? How does it play? I really wish there was a demo for this thing.

I've not played it, but read some reviews, or even look a the threads on this forum, and you'll realise that pretty much everyone regrets buying this 'game'.

Von Hammler Koq
07-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I love all RTS style games (as well as TBS) and was interested in this. My friend who has a very similar taste has this game, and he swore it was a joke mess of a bug fest.

I tried it out on his computer, and true enough it was a complete joke. Seems as well that nothing is going to be done about it.

Like Tufty94 said, it seems everyone regrets buying this game.

James161324
07-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Its not a horrible city builder, it just a horribly optimized game.

kjempff
07-15-2012, 08:50 PM
14 hours in and so far I found it.. tedious, bugged, square, lacking useful reports and general information.

Ran into the first bug in the tutorial which I cant finish.
When placing stuff in a square for example, changin which corner you start in sometimes changes how many buildings fit (exactle the same square). If you later on demolish something, often you cant place the same structure or same sized structure on that spot. You cant replace a building, you have to demolish it and build another (with chance of above mentioned problem).
You cant build on top of tunnels, bridges are hard to get connected. No zone indicator showing area of effect of service buildings.. and I could go on.

I played a game called Simcity 20 years ago, this one is only marginally better as far as I can tell after 14 hours.
It is possible the mechanics work once you get around all the bugs and tediousness, and since I have paid for this game Im giving it some more time, but if you are considering ...
DONT!

I was also looking at Tropico 4 at the same time, but it looked wierd and cities xl looked more solid. Have who play both have a comment ?

andrewroxors
07-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Wow, ok. Good thing I asked first. Not going to buy a dud.

kiger
10-25-2012, 12:33 PM
That is a real shame about all the bugs. The game really looked interesting...

Middendorf
11-13-2012, 11:15 AM
If you want a good and fun city builder game then buy 'Children of the Nile: Enhanced Edition' if you don't already have it. I have CXL2011 and it is ok but just does not grab me like CotN does.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17100/

DM36
02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
I have personally not had issues with bugs like some people. But I am on one PC, while others are using different builds. I am in the process of buying parts to build a new gaming rig, so this may be different. But currently, no issues with bugs. That may very well change though. Hopefully not.

Okay, bugs aside, how is this different than Sim City?

Well, it is VERY different.

Sim City is far and far more a simulation GAME than Cities XL, in the fact that there are going to be various scenarios you will encounter, with penalties, rewards, etc... Either self imposed, or by randomness. It feels more like they are making a game with Sim City. In Cities XL, it is like they are going for pure simulation, without there being much of a game at all. If all you want to do is build stuff, Cities XL is the better title. If you want goals, scenarios, etc.. Sim City is the game you want.

Cities XL is more like a sandbox title than anything else. Sure, you are given a budget and what not, but it is very hard to go into the red. It does not take hardcore management like Sim City.

It's a bit too easy if you ask me. The only thing that even resembles a goal in Cities XL, is that you unlock building types by moving more people in. So I guess the goal is to expand the population as much as possible. Once you do so, better and nicer looking buildings will become available.

That's pretty much it.

One thing though that may make Cities XL more tempting than sim City is that it looks a helluva better than the latest Sim City. That said, the upcoming Sim City will pretty much leave no reason to buy Cities XL.

BadBullet
02-11-2013, 08:12 AM
I really recommend buying it. I also have seen none of the bugs and performance issues others have been reporting, though I've only got as far as 200,000 residents in a city.

I've owned Cities XL for a long time but never really played it until recently (it just seemed too different to Sim City 4). In fact, I only returned to it after participating in the new Simcity Beta as a stop-gap.

I quite enjoyed the Simcity beta, though it is heavily simplified and a lot of cool features have been stripped out (it too is far different to SC4). Cities XL is like the new Simcity, but actually a LOT better! It's graphically very similar (new Simcity is sometimes better), but you have full-blown cities in Cities XL (not tiny towns that fill up within 30 mins of play) with a massive variety of random buildings. Sim City has ditched density (you no longer have control over whether you get little trailors or huge apartments on your road (road size now governs this for you), whereas you have full control in Cities XL. Sim City has no landscaping tools, and no more motorways (freeways) - your town already has a fixed freeway in place that you must use and can't edit. Worse, the city management elements of Sim City have gone (very little in way of traffic mananagement) where you can easily click a bus route to tackle your most congested areas of Cities XL.

Biggest problem of all: new Simcity requires an always-on internet connection. The beta I think was to test server loading because the game seemed very complete (Maxis struggled with server load and most testers gained no access at all the first day).

I have Sim City on pre-order, but am shocked to find I owned a better game all along! After a solid weekend of playing Cities XL I now don't know whether to cancel my Sim City pre-order... Cities XL is huge fun to play, but more involved AND much cheaper than the new Simcity.

So's_your_face
02-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Cities XL is more of a traffic simulator than anything. I really enjoyed that aspect of it, although the rest of it offered little in the way of challenge. After a while I began to ask myself WHY I was building but didn't get much of an answer back.

I did experience bugs in this game - specifically the memory leak. After about an hour the game becomes nigh unplayable. As the city becomes larger, this happens faster and faster.

The keep releasing this game again and again with only pitiful changes. A couple new ploppables with the SAME interface, SAME gameplay and SAME bugs. Want to know why they're offering 85% off for people who own a previous title? Because it's the SAME game, and that's the only way to milk more money from people.

Some things were done very right in this game, but the things that were done wrong never get addressed. There aren't many options though in the city building genre, so my recommendation is to get it if the price is right. Don't pay full price.

oldbrokenlink
04-10-2013, 03:29 PM
while its a great game, that is loads of fun to play, its different, its more a city builder (think of it as editor) than a simulator, sure they have a simulator, but you not going to find ufo and giant lizards. its more like professional / industrial tools made easy to use and with great graphics.