PDA

View Full Version : PC Case Vibration

inv3ntius
07-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Hello,

I have a bit of a silly question but anyway, my Cooler master Haf 912 case seems to vibrate on just the right and left panels. The right panel has a 120 mm fan-however the vibration on that panel is less than that of the left panel with no fan. My system seems to be running fine. Any suggestions as to what may cause this would be appreciated.

Here's my specs:
CM Haf 912 case
Asus motherboard
Amd phenom II processor
Hyper 212 plus heatsink
WD caviar black 500 gb
amd hd radeon 6670

Fan configuration:
1 120mm right side panel as intake
2 120mm front as intake
1 120mm back as exhaust
1 120mm top as exhaust

borg_7_of_9
07-22-2012, 06:26 AM
hmm vibrations aren't really good for hard drive's so try and track it down.
Start by disconnecting case fan's one by one if that doesn't stop it it could be the PSU or CPU cooling fan, you can disconnect the CPU fan for a quick test but don't leave it to long..

if its a case fan you can get anti-vibration mount's or a new fan..

inv3ntius
07-22-2012, 06:38 AM
I'll look into that, thanks. Any other suggestions will be great too.

wuliheron
07-22-2012, 12:09 PM
My computer has a screw loose,
I can hear it rattling away in there,
But no matter how hard I look,
I can't find it anywhere,
And it's acting mighty queer.

rotNdude
07-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Start by disconnecting case fan's one by one if that doesn't stop it it could be the PSU or CPU cooling fan, you can disconnect the CPU fan for a quick test but don't leave it to long

I agree. It's probably an out of balance fan. It could be dust build up on the blades or even the blades/bearings.

THE Nakedgun
07-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Try sticking a few squares of dynamat or similar vibration dampening products to the panels ti should reduce o stop the vibrations.

I use these for feet in my Coolermaster Silencio case they work really well at stopping the vibrations travelling through the floorboard and no need to by a set for each hard drive :)
http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/917/

inv3ntius
07-22-2012, 04:11 PM
I found the culprit-my hard drive. Already have dampeners on it and its in the cage securely. It's 7200 rpm; I wonder if that has something to do with it. Any suggestion for the Hard drive? It's a Western Digital Caviar Black 500 gb and I just got it too so I'm a bit worried.

Omario27
07-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Hmmm it shouldn't be vibrating so much that the case panels noticeably vibrate with it - specially not with dampening. I've got a WD Caviar Black myself (7.2k rpm), mine just sits in the housing that came with my case (HAF X, so quite possibly the same HDD dampening)..

All I can suggest is try fitting the HDD in a different bay, or make sure it sits very firmly in the slot that it's in, with no 'wiggle room'.
Also, to my understanding the HAF X is very similar to the 912, does your case have plastic locking panels on the lower hard drive bays?

When I got my HAF X case, the top 120mm fan that came with it used to make the entire case vibrate like crazy, it was so wierd lol.

inv3ntius
07-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Nope doesn't have those. my case has these attachable sliders to easily place (or slide) in hard drives. Maybe I should put the top hard drive cage back in and try repositioning the hard drive. Keep the suggestions coming!

sfade
07-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Could be resonance, if the vibration is just right for the system the motion can build on itself into a much larger vibration. Try moving the hard drive to another mount location, sometimes that's all that is needed.

inv3ntius
07-28-2012, 01:59 PM
I've tried repositioning the drive and it didn't work. From what I can pull up on google there is more vibration coming from the caviar black hard drive class than others released from western digital. On the positive side I have a five year warranty on the hard drive; its just that I really don't want to go through another hard drive failure like I did with my Seagate barracuda (it lasted a year).

Keep up the input, its definitely helping me a bit!

rotNdude
07-28-2012, 02:04 PM
If you suspect the drive is creating the vibration in the case, just let it rest somewhere in the case without mounting it.