PDA

View Full Version : Problems connecting to multiplayer

kiwiprin
07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey, everyone. I am a long-time player of the original age of wonders game. It's been something i'd play off and on with my friends ever since I found it 8 or 9 years ago.

I recently, during the summer sale, noticed the whole trilogy was on steam. Although I owned the original, I wanted to fully support the company, and bought the whole trilogy on steam.

My multiplayer is not working. At all, for the original AoW.
By this i mean the TCP/IP version (I have not tried, and have no real interest in, PBEM). I have followed the vaguely detailed guide on this forum, tried working around with hamachi, and port forwarding. Nothing I tried worked (I am experienced with both hamachi and port forwarding, so I am sure that I did not mess this up.)

Does anyone know any possible problems I might not have addressed, or can anyone present possible solutions I haven't thought of?

Thank you for your help.

Davespice
07-26-2012, 02:05 AM
Please read the how to play multiplayer sticky post at the top of this forum.

kiwiprin
07-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Please read the how to play multiplayer sticky post at the top of this forum.

I have followed the vaguely detailed guide on this forum,

As I already stated, I have done that. Your guide says 'use hamachi'.
Again, as already stated, I have used hamachi, and it is not helping.

Davespice
07-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Well if you're going to take that kind of tone old chap, I feel disinclined to help you.
AowNet on hamachi might be a good place to start and also to find other players that you can ask for further advice.

kiwiprin
08-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Consider from my position -- your first post makes it look like you didn't bother to read what I said at all, and just blindly threw out your guide. Perhaps you'd be a bit miffed, too.

I'll check out AoWnet and see if that goes anywhere, thanks.

kiwiprin
08-20-2012, 09:32 PM
an update:

Still having problems. The hamachi group didn't really suggest anything helpful (most of the people I talked to didn't have any suggestions beyond what was posted here.)

Of note -- my friend and I have gotten to where we can see each other's names after we type in IP address (so I can see "Peter's Game" show up), but when we click on them, it just freezes for a bit, and then the game list refreshes. We cannot move forward.

This is frustrating as hell -_- anyone have any advice from here?

Manveru125
08-21-2012, 01:52 AM
You could try to make the host a DMZ by enabling this in the router he's behind. Then make sure you disable your firewall. If that doesn't work you're either doing something wrong or you have a big problem with your network :)
Make sure disable DMZ en enable your firewall after play, as it makes your computer quite vulnerable

Davespice
08-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Maybe try some other software too. I've heard of people using Gameranger (http://www.gameranger.com/) and Evolve (https://www.evolvehq.com/welcome) to play Aow multiplayer.
Edit, I just remembered too. You have probably already checked this, but just in case. Make sure you're running the same version number of the game, check the bottom right of the title screen.

kiwiprin
08-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Thank you both for your input.
I've tried gameranger, not evolve, will look into it. And I disabled all firewalls temporarily, as per your advice.

progress: Nothing :P, still doesn't work. However, on a whim, I tried playing with a different friend. It works for him, perfectly, so I'm beginning to think the problem is not on my end.

Davespice
08-23-2012, 02:35 AM
so I'm beginning to think the problem is not on my end.
I think you're bang on there. If you have had multiplayer working with someone, but your other friend has not - the problem must be with their config. One acid test would be to get your friend to try and connect with the person whom you've had it working with.

There is also an IRC channel. IRC (https://chat.mibbit.com/ or irc.mibbit.net:6667). Channel #AoW. People lurk in there and organise online games from time to time too.

shaunsmith
02-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Well if you're going to take that kind of tone old chap, I feel disinclined to help you.
AowNet on hamachi might be a good place to start and also to find other players that you can ask for further advice.
Yes it will be a good idea to take the help with the other players. Good luck dear.