PDA

View Full Version : Tobuscus, PewDiePie, TheRadBrad fans?

Disector100
08-02-2012, 09:28 AM
hey anyone here a fan of either Tobuscus, PewDiePie, or TheRadBrad?

wondering how many people in steam community have actually seen/liked these guys game commentaries

Pootis Spencer!
08-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I like Toby. But pewdiepies ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ fans always say "HE COPIED LAWLAWL!"

on all Tobuscus vids.

EDIT I also Rad because of his lets plays.

Solona
08-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Used to like pewdiepie, now I can't stand him and his community.

Tobuscus is just unfunny and a typical American with overly dramatic reactions.

Never heard of the other guy.

frost b1te
08-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Pewdiepie himself is okay, I guess (No he's not..). But his fans? MY GOD! They're the most obnoxious, childish pieces of ♥♥♥♥ I've ever seen! (Or maybe he's just a really common troll weapon, who knows)

Brad is a bit.. meh. He's just average. Nothing particularly funny or annoying about him.

EDIT: I just took a closer look at pewdiepie and changed my opinion about him: He sucks. Facecamming super mainstream games while screaming nonstop. How original.

Shadoww0lf
08-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Pewdiepie's annoying.

Real men watch Robbaz.

HeadshotHoncho
08-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I find pewdiepie and his fans annoying. Even my friend kind of annoys me when he shouts "Peeew deee piiieee!"

Never really heard of the rest.

ConfusedCactus
08-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Pewdiepie is fairly entertaining, but holy mother of god are his fans annoying, irritating little 8 year old ♥♥♥♥s. I hate pewdiepie fanboys with a passion that burns with the fury of a thousand suns.

Larry1212
08-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I've only heard of PewDiePie because I keep getting linked his LPs. He's annoying but I gotta say by playing the games he does he's doing a service for that market(The free mod community) and sometimes, sometimes his freak outs can be funny but overall he's really god damn irritating.

Argeon
08-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I love Tobuscus. I know who PewDiePie is, but I don't enjoy him as much. I have never heard of the last one.

Wanakilov4
08-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Tobuscus is just doing it for the money (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdXeGNi-O0U&feature=plcp)

skiddlywibble
08-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Tobuscus is just doing it for the money (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdXeGNi-O0U&feature=plcp)

Toby is pretty open about the whole sponsership thing. And there's nothing wrong with it: it's good advertising. Advertising you actually want to watch, rather than substandard trash you're forced to watch before you get to what you want to see. And he's not a very good gamer, but nobody watches his videos to see him do well, they watch because he's genuinely funny to listen to.

I've never even heard of those other guys, though, so I can't pass judgment on them.

Hivomnomnom
08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I like Toby, and Pewdiepie, but I'm not really into LPs as much as I was.

A more awesome question: WHO IS A FAN OF PENGUINZ0/CR1TIKAL?

Storm360
08-02-2012, 12:26 PM
The only one of those I heard of was Tobuscus from Ubisofts E3 and I couldn't stand him for more than 10 seconds, it amazes me that people can bear to subscribe to him.

SmellyLethality
08-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Haven't heard of any of 'em.

radluke
08-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Pewdiepie's annoying.

Real men watch Robbaz.

Robbaz is glorious!

mobilpcguru
08-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Pewdie.
I never heard of RadBrad.
but I loath Tobbogan for that nugget in the biscuit song.
may Stephano have mercy on his soul.

qazxswplmnko
08-02-2012, 03:57 PM
A more awesome question: WHO IS A FAN OF PENGUINZ0/CR1TIKAL?
Let's do this ♥♥♥♥. :cool:

Pandemonyx
08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm a huge fan of Pewdie, and often it's the fans of other idols that come onto his videos and say (X copied Y). Although I haven't been to other videos of any other idols so I wouldn't necessarily know.

lillythemoogle
08-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I despise these "gamers". It's basically them playing a game that they have no interest in or are good at, are hopping on the bandwagon to make money off of the recent trend of gaming channels, and putting stupid thumbnails that further makes me want to punch them in the nose.

Bubbleberry_VII
08-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I like them all. Not a fan of some of Pewdiepie's subscribers, though.

I've never heard Toby say that. I've never heard Toby say he doesn't like games. In fact, I've heard him say the opposite. And so he gets paid for it? Big whoop. If you could get paid for something you enjoy, go with it. And, like Skiddlywibble said Toby is pretty open about the whole sponsership thing. And there's nothing wrong with it...

...And he's not a very good gamer, but nobody watches his videos to see him do well, they watch because he's genuinely funny to listen to...

And along with this, that's not entirely true. I, personally, think he's good at certain games. And yes, he is funny to some people, me included.

And to conclude this, I just wanna get my opinion out on people who ***** about youtube stars getting paid for something everyone else does.
These people are friggin' annoying, in my honest opinion. People who complain about an ad on their videos (DSP for ex.) need to calm down. It's a friggin ad. And usually you can skip them. Bottom line, basically: If you had a popular channel for gaming, and you could monetize it, why wouldn't you? So everyone else does it. Are you gonna get mad at other Starbucks employees for working there and getting paid for the same thing you get paid for? Chances are no.

DarkRanger57
08-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Pewdie was cool until he became mainstream to the younger audience

HnB
08-02-2012, 07:25 PM
I really like LILBPACK1 :):):p:):)

Hivomnomnom
08-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Pewdie was cool until he became mainstream to the younger audience
did you not literally say when i mentioned pewdiepie "I <3 him"

wat

ShellM591
08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
I can't stand video LPers/Commentators.

Watching people play computer games while forcing reactions and pretending to have certain emotions doesn't register as entertainment, IMO.

Bubbleberry_VII
08-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I can't stand video LPers/Commentators.

Watching people play computer games while forcing reactions and pretending to have certain emotions doesn't register as entertainment, IMO.

Who's to say they're faking their reactions?

NinjaWombat
08-02-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm a fan of tobuscus, I dont' really like pewdiepie, and I'm not sure who the other guy is.

dednoob6
08-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Robbaz is glorious!

Indeed! Any other fellow Vikings out there?

Saltsi
08-02-2012, 10:57 PM
When I first watched PewDie's Nightmare House 2 video I thought he was quite funny so I subbed. But not long after that it came to me that PewDiePie is not funny. He is so ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ annoying and loud. His screeches make my ears bleed. I honestly can't watch his videos without turning the volume to 0.

Haven't watched Tobuscus' LPs but some of his literal trailers are quite funny

Haven't heard of the other guy.

Cr1tical makes my nipples shiver and my ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ twitch with joy.

lillythemoogle
08-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Who's to say they're faking their reactions?

For the most part, these guys record their voice overs after the video is done and the reactions aren't live.

It's like, I'd rather see the game play (not of Happy Wheels, flash crap like that is equal to a "game" designed for the iPod) and not some idiot talking over the footage.

wazups 2x
08-03-2012, 01:10 AM
I've never been a fan of seeing people in their webcams. I do enjoy some commentaries though.

I've never really watched any of those people but I did watch a few videos of PewDiePie and I thought they were pretty funny.

Solona
08-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Indeed! Any other fellow Vikings out there?

Robbaz here King of Sweden I'm play Call of Chuhuluhuluhulu

ElijahChondo43
08-03-2012, 02:37 AM
I'm a huge Toby and Pewdie fan but there's been a lot of bashing between a lot of the fan bases around here... Toby and Nova fans are going onto Pewdie videos and saying copy cat and then Pewdie's fans do the same and it goes on and on...

The Pewdiepie website is actually really much more mature than the fans themselves. Most of us on the website are 15+ and we all help each other out, most of the new users(especially like the younger fans) sign up but never actually post nor read the website at all.

Again, I've never heard of RadBrad.

Hivomnomnom
08-03-2012, 12:30 PM
For the most part, these guys record their voice overs after the video is done and the reactions aren't live.

It's like, I'd rather see the game play (not of Happy Wheels, flash crap like that is equal to a "game" designed for the iPod) and not some idiot talking over the footage.
well toby and pewdiepie are on camera too now and i think both have done livestreams where they're pretty much the same

Larry1212
08-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Athene!!! ('http://www.youtube.com/user/AtheneWins') Win. :cool:

SM darren
08-03-2012, 01:21 PM
ya i've never heard of any of them. i thought they might be high level gamers, but after a quick google search they look like youtube personalities. i guess i play too much sc2 to notice

Bubbleberry_VII
08-03-2012, 10:15 PM

How do you know they are recorded after? I simultaneously record my commentaries with my gameplay. It's actually not hard. xD

Whiplashr
08-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I've watched a TON of Toby and RadBrad let's plays.

Toby's let's play of Amnesia was the first of his I saw, and amongst the first let's play series I'd ever seen. And he was freaking hilarious. I knew I was in for a treat with some of his bizarre and hilarious commentary.. right from the start.

The part I will always remember.. early on in the game you come across a fleshy obstruction leading to the next area. When you click on it, it says something like "It is tough and pliant and cannot be destroyed by hands or tools". And Toby ready that line out loud, but ad-libbed at the end "... or mouse clicks".

I lost it.

I can see how he'd annoy some. He may be an acquired taste. I got hooked on him from that series, and also enjoyed his Terraria and Minecraft stuff.

RadBrad is good too. I enjoyed his Portal 2 let's play. When that game came out, I was so into it that I went out of my way to watch every let's play I could find. I enjoyed seeing how people reacted to things.. especially the killer ending. I even watched iJustine's let's play. Although it got increasingly frustrating to stick with as she was utterly horrible at the game.

"For the most part?" really? Got any evidence of that? I like to watch let's play series while I work, on my second monitor. They are good entertainment in that regard. Not too distracting from my work, but they pass the time. But I've watched dozens of different lets players and probably hundreds of videos.. And I can't think of a single one that seemed like they recorded the voice after and "forced" reactions.

I think some of you are too cynical. It's unfortunate you don't like these guys, no one says you have to. But don't make stuff up just because you don't like them, or it fits your cynical world view.

scubs
08-03-2012, 10:31 PM
i'm not a fan of the majority of those "gaming commentators" especially the ones with British accents. almost all of them are just doing it for the show and obviously subscribers and revenue. it's pretty obvious in the video and how dramatic they are trying to be funny. i highly doubt any of them have even been gaming long.. say 10-20 yrs? maybe i would be more inclined to watch videos if i knew i was watching someone who has some passion for gaming and not just doing it for a show because it's pretty blatant.

Whiplashr
08-03-2012, 10:36 PM
i'm not a fan of the majority of those "gaming commentators" especially the ones with British accents. almost all of them are just doing it for the show and obviously subscribers and revenue. it's pretty obvious in the video and how dramatic they are trying to be funny, but i highly doubt any of them have been that long.. any of them gaming for say 10-20 yrs?

I dunno.. this is just more cynicism as far as I'm concerned. I mean... why do you think they make television programs? They don't do it because they love the art. They do them to make money. Same with radio shows..Movies.. books.. Same with almost every form of entertainment. The people involved may love what they are doing, but ultimately they all do it to make money.

That's life. It's what everyone does. If you don't like it, you don't have to support it. But you need to make more original complaints than that. Your complaint applies to virtually all entertainment.

I'll agree that many let's players out there are not very funny or interesting, and just jumping on the bandwagon to try to get views, etc. But many of them are talented and funny, and produce very good video series.

A great example is Etho, of Minecraft fame, who has one of the best and most technical Minecraft let's play series out there. Incredibly useful and educational.

I suspect you saw far too many Total Biscuit videos. Or Yogscast. Those guys are all kind of tools.

Gummydrop
08-04-2012, 12:50 AM
http://lparchive.org/ <-- Actual Let's Plays

It's a stretch to call what these youtube celebrities do a let's play. There is almost never anything informative, it's all just spouting memes and incredibly overblown reactions. They're just appealing to a young audience that finds these things funny, there is nothing of substance or quality in any of their videos.

lillythemoogle
08-04-2012, 01:38 AM
Gummy isn't that the Something Awful archive? Those are a million times better than what the popular "gamers" put out, even though I personally don't care much for the site.

Gummydrop
08-04-2012, 01:53 AM
Yeah those are all from Something Awful. I'm not a member there, but I enjoy the Let's plays they make.

Minous2
08-04-2012, 03:03 AM
I watch PewDiePie, Nova, Cry and Mangaminx. All of them pretty much played lot of the same games, but that matters only to those b*tching annoying fans who think that once someone plays a game it's "theirs".

I don't know if it's really 'caused by the age of the viewers or if there are some growns up spewing up nonsense (and that's a weak word for it), but even I can see that the commentaries and reactions of these FOUR people that I watch ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Therefore I never felt that someone copied the the other since it's not similar at all. I've watched one game being played by all of the youtoubers (I am subscribed to) quite a few times...

As for the question, I watched Tobuscus for a while but he bore me pretty quickly. Never heard of the last one, though.

Zakafein
08-04-2012, 04:14 AM
IMO They're all overly dramatic and sometimes quite annoying. I personally enjoy watching Total Biscuit videos as I like to be informed or be interested in something that I would otherwise probably never see. I also watch the Creatures (their co-ops and sometimes Kootra's stuff, like UDK and such) for fun.

Firestorm998
08-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Definitely not a fan.

I've found some LP's/walkthroughs useful in the past when I've been stuck or perhaps after a rare item etc. but I prefer normal, informative commentary or none at all rather than listen to YT persona babble.

More power to them if the kids are lapping them up in droves, but not for me.

Cooperfive
08-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I love PewDiePie but his fans are like "OMGWTFBBQ YHU KOPIED POODUHPIE" on every Tobuscus Happy Wheels video and UberHaxorNova Happy Wheels video. It's funny because Nova was before PewDiePie. Apparently every Amnesia video ever made except PewDiePie's are copies of him. Again people think the same thing yet Tobuscus played Amnesia first. The majority of PewDiePie's fans are ignorant twelve year olds.

My favorite LPers are PlayingWithMahWii and GhostRobo though

DaAtte
08-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I like PewDiePie and Toboscus but I can't stand PewDiePie's fans. They always fight about which one is better.

DarkByke
09-08-2012, 05:50 PM
They're all completely annoying. What is wrong with gamers??? This culture died pretty fast. Bunch of immature 10 year olds...

Faopickle
09-08-2012, 06:05 PM
All three of them are overrated...

Faopickle
09-08-2012, 06:06 PM
They're all completely annoying. What is wrong with gamers??? This culture died pretty fast. Bunch of immature 10 year olds...

Mhmm.

stormrage54
09-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Robbaz, Total Biscuit.

edit: ghostrobo is pretty good too.

King Cassidy
09-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Popular video game commentators make children's sitcom programs tolerable by comparison.

blax
09-08-2012, 07:11 PM
All of them are equally annoying.

Firestorm998
09-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Do any adults watch these clowns?

Sovietskikh
09-08-2012, 09:40 PM
All of them are equally annoying.

This.

You can tell someone's videos and their followers are going to be horrific if the video thumbnail features a hideously bright background with the host pulling a stupid expression next to a topic-related image. Oh, and don't forget the all caps video title and jump cuts. What completes the whole 'YouTube Simpleton Entertainer' is the constant request for likes, comments and favourites. Their gaming channels can't be complete with a 'reaction cam' and the needless obsession with narrating every millisecond of their existence.

Totalbiscuit (one of the very few YouTube mainstream bloggers with any integrity what so ever) demonstrates this well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THd6aFYCu74

Honestly these channels lower the IQ of everyone on YouTube each time they post a video.
Any other members of the cynical fleet present?

Hamster Gutz
09-08-2012, 09:55 PM
This.

You can tell someone's videos and their followers are going to be horrific if the video thumbnail features a hideously bright background with the host pulling a stupid expression next to a topic-related image. Oh, and don't forget the all caps video title and jump cuts. What completes the whole 'YouTube Simpleton Entertainer' is the constant request for likes, comments and favourites. Their gaming channels can't be complete with a 'reaction cam' and the needless obsession with narrating every millisecond of their existence.

Totalbiscuit (one of the very few YouTube mainstream bloggers with any integrity what so ever) demonstrates this well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THd6aFYCu74

Honestly these channels lower the IQ of everyone on YouTube each time they post a video.
Any other members of the cynical fleet present?

I hate when people put "subscribe, like, and comment" in their videos. They're assuming that I'm going to like this video enough to subscribe to them. It pretty much automatically makes me dislike(I'm such a rebel, I know) and ignore their videos. Never heard of any of these guys, though, except Totalbiscuit.

In my own videos, I don't put anything. I'm assuming people will be able to figure out for themselves whether they like/dislike my videos, and if they like them enough to subscribe to me.

BC2 Cypher
09-08-2012, 10:11 PM

He does it for a living so.... no sh11t he does it for the money?

Though that's not all he does it for, he enjoys what he does. And I enjoy his videos.

It's a win-win.

Anyway, back to the OP's question.

I am a fan of Toby but I mainly only watch his Let's Play channel.

Toby's friend Nalif also has a nice let's play channel. He's far less over-the-top than Toby or other popular Let's Players which is nice when that's what I'm in the mood for.

ozku
09-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Just watch any channel you want, nobody has any right to tell you otherwise. I prefer Totalbiscuit, even though I tend to disagree with him time to time he at least puts a lot of effort in his videos and has some sort of standards when it comes to the content.

TentacleMayor
09-09-2012, 02:57 AM
I watched one PewDiePie Let's Play and was extremely annoyed by his squealing and lack of insightful commentary. Meanwhile, informative LPs like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlIpecDrjw) get only a small fraction of those views.

Now, TB is great. He covers all the points I care about for deciding on a game, and I most often find myself agreeing with him.

cereal3
09-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Yeah, TB is the only person I watch, those others always seem really "fake"

Mr.Ceefus
09-09-2012, 05:47 AM
The best combo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUYe49V4144&list=PLC4893F8DC6F0913E&index=1&feature=plpp_video). I have no idea who these other people are. Their very names are enough to deter me.

Ghostbreed
09-09-2012, 05:49 AM
They all suck.

Haven't heard of any of 'em.

Why are you lying? You suck at it. Stop lying!
Unless you've been living under a rock in space...

Hamster Gutz
09-09-2012, 05:50 AM
The best combo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUYe49V4144&list=PLC4893F8DC6F0913E&index=1&feature=plpp_video). I have no idea who these other people are. Their very names are enough to deter me.

Tobuscus sounds like something you would put on a taco.

Ghostbreed
09-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Tobuscus sounds like something you would put on a taco.

Mmm, tacos... *finds empty wallet* ♥♥♥♥.

stormrage54
09-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I've never watched pewdiepie before, and honestly? I'd probably hate it. Intensely. Just like that time someone recommended I watch smosh.

also, "acquired taste"? really? Can't you just say "I like it"? Do you really have to make yourself look like a ♥♥♥♥♥♥?

Ghostbreed
09-09-2012, 11:44 AM
At least Smosh used to be funny.

Whiplashr
09-09-2012, 04:34 PM
They all suck.

Toby does not suck. He's funny. He's very clever. It's your own fault if you can't see it.

I suspect many of you just have to be contrarians.. these are some of the more popular you tube let's players.. oh.. well then they must suck.. because you guys don't ever like or enjoy anything that the masses like. Then it has to suck.

This is so obvious from the way so many of you jumped in only to say "they all suck". You can feel the angst dripping from such comments. No one says why they suck. Just "they totally suck". In all bitter and angst ridden tones.

Yet you probably love spamming some god awful troll videos or something.

stormrage54
09-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Toby does not suck. He's funny. He's very clever. It's your own fault if you can't see it.

I suspect many of you just have to be contrarians.. these are some of the more popular you tube let's players.. oh.. well then they must suck.. because you guys don't ever like or enjoy anything that the masses like. Then it has to suck.

This is so obvious from the way so many of you jumped in only to say "they all suck". You can feel the angst dripping from such comments. No one says why they suck. Just "they totally suck". In all bitter and angst ridden tones.

Yet you probably love spamming some god awful troll videos or something.

Again with the "you wouldn't understand" type bull♥♥♥♥.
Seriously? It's our "fault" if we don't find him funny?
Get your head out of your ♥♥♥ man.

Here's a reason: I don't find them funny. I find them irritating, I dislike their commentaries.

The only people I actually watch are TotalBiscuit and RoosterTeeth.

I guess my sense of humor isn't as sophisticated as yours is. ♥♥♥♥♥♥.

AraxisHT
09-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I'll occasionally watch one of PewDiePie's videos that isn't based on horror, but certainly not on a regular basis. I never watch anything Tubuscus. I've never heard of the third guy.

I subscribe to Totalbiscuit (all-around quality save Terraria), Yogscast (Sometimes I feel like watching people pretend to be buffoons), and Jessie Cox (because he's super involved with his fan base and his life story sounds eerily similar to mine). Of these, I really only watch Totalbiscuit on any sort of regular basis.

Since when were Let's Plays and Walkthroughs the same thing? Let's Plays should never be walkthroughs. Either go for entertainment or go for information. You can't be both without wasting people's time and reducing your potency.

Edit: I just skimmed through the Something Awful list of "Let's Plays" and saw text/screenshot walkthroughs! "Let's Play" may have originally been the SA hipster term for walkthrough but it now has a very different meaning.

Mr.Ceefus
09-09-2012, 06:53 PM
I also like this guy (http://www.youtube.com/user/kurtjmac?feature=watch).

FrozenFireBug
09-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I only watched Brad's Amnesia playthrough, and I could care less about the other guys.

Pandemonyx
09-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Pewdie is a nice gamer that openly shows his personality, but may be giving in to his fans a little bit. They are quite dumb and enjoy making little "roleplays" on other famous youtube celebrities videos. (i.e the bro war will kill u llolololo) He was absolutely fantabulous before he hit 1million subscribers, something of a nice private entertainment, but now the nice little fanbase has evolved into a full blown cult.

I'm not really a fan of Toby, I only like his literal trailers.

Never heard of the third guy.

Coyee
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Before this thread i knew of none of them. I know of total biscuit because of yogscast. (magicka episodes were hilarious). So i'd have to go with total biscuit!

900x900_Texture
09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I like the RadBrad, he does some good Lets plays