PDA

View Full Version : Best Story Driven Games?

GirlGamerx
08-02-2012, 09:35 AM
What do you think is the best story driven games that you have played I think

Grand Theft Auto's

Heavy Rain

Metal Gear Solid

Probably missed lots but that's all I can think of.

UniqueName02
08-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Beyond Good and Evil had a great story.

DeadPoolX
08-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect series (1, 2 and 3), KoTOR, Arcanum, Fallout series, Gabriel Knight trilogy, Broken Sword series, The Last Express, and probably many other games that I can't recall right now.

Disector100
08-02-2012, 09:40 AM
forget about all the rest.

for Story wise >>>>>Assassin's Creed Series<<<<<

Master Splinter
08-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Mass Effect Series.

2560x1600@120hz
08-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

motrin
08-02-2012, 09:43 AM
the first Bioshock had a great story i thought and i think/hope the next will be even better,

bluz74
08-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Bioshock, HL2, DEHR, Portal 2, TF2

cakefish
08-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Mass Effect
Half Life 2
Beyond Good & Evil
Bioshock
Batman AA & AC

GirlGamerx
08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
TF2? What the hell lol

Draek
08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Bioware's.

HeadshotHoncho
08-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I enjoyed Enslaved's story and enviroment. It was a really refreshing change.

Also, the Jak and Daxter series had one hell of a crazy story. So many plot twists.

Larry1212
08-02-2012, 10:22 AM
I would say Indigo Prophecy but it gets stupidly dumb plot-wise at the end.

Anyway, in no particular order...

Mass Effect(The first one!)
Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Dragon Age: Origins
The Walking Dead
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Prince of Persia(Yep the new one and i'm serious. The story is actually pretty good. Game is far too easy but the banter and story is actually enjoyable!)
Mirrors Edge(I would kinda say so... It's more about the gameplay but there's definitely a notable story there)
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dear Esther
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Batman: Arkham City/Asylum
Alan Wake.

Eriako
08-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Vagrant Story and FFVI were both amazing. Star Ocean 3 was cliche a bit but I liked it.

I couldn't say what my favorites were though, and as for ones I enjoyed, there are too many to list offhand.

ammoh
08-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Deus Ex: HR
Heavy Rain
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City

I might risk getting laughed at but Final Fantasy series was a good rpg based story for me!

Europhoria
08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Mafia II, I haven't played Mafia much because I keep getting pull over by the cops. :o

Red Alert 2, if only for the cut scenes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U2eRHyQnVSU#t=206s). :)

Dues Ex: Human Revolution except for the final quarter. :/

Defense Grid.

I enjoyed Enslaved's story and enviroment. It was a really refreshing change.

I didn't know you were that sort of person. :confused:

stonepilot
08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dragon Age: Origins (very similar to Mass Effect 1 story, great lore).

BadBeat
08-02-2012, 11:01 AM
How have we reached 2 pages without mention of Planescape: Torment?

Well?

HOW!?

ThePerson5
08-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Half-Life 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Brain_Explodes
08-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Silent Hill 2.

stonepilot
08-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Silent Hill 2.Thats just WOW. How can i forgot that one...

Skelter92
08-02-2012, 11:24 AM
The Witcher series
Fallout 1,2 and New Vegas
Arcanum of Steamworks and Magik Obscura
Planescape Torment <---- no other game will ever surpass this masterpiece
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
Neverwinter Nights 2:Mask of the Betrayer
Deus Ex 1
Knights of the Old Republic II:The Sith Lords
Alpha Protocol
Vagrant Story
Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask the most unique of all the Zelda's
Gabriel Knight series
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Syberia
The Longest Journey and Dreamfall

How have we reached 2 pages without mention of Planescape: Torment?

Well?

HOW!?

SPUF loves their shooters and action games. How can anyone seriously think Mafia 2,Assassin's Creed or Bioware's stuff are the "best story driven games"?

skiddlywibble
08-02-2012, 11:30 AM
There are loads of really good story driven games. I don't think one stands out above the rest: they all shine differently, like facets on a multicoloured gem.

forget about all the rest.

for Story wise >>>>>Assassin's Creed Series<<<<<

I really hope you're joking. The plot in that series is bad enough to give you cancer.

Master Splinter
08-02-2012, 11:36 AM
How can anyone seriously think Mafia 2,Assassin's Creed or Bioware's stuff are the "best story driven games"?

"Opinions and/or "preferences" about something that cannot the objectively evaluated"...can your tiny little brain comprehend such tiny little concept?

Hivomnomnom
08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Deus Ex

The first one more than the second game, which was Human Revolution.

FriedGerry
08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Alan Wake

DeadPoolX
08-02-2012, 05:50 PM
SPUF loves their shooters and action games. How can anyone seriously think Mafia 2,Assassin's Creed or Bioware's stuff are the "best story driven games"?
BioWare's RPGs are all extremely story-driven. Now maybe you don't like the story or the characters, but as far as I'm concerned, the storyline is what really makes their games good. Without the story, their games are merely so-so action titles.

What really surprises me is that some people think BioShock has a great story. I'm playing it now and to be honest, I'm really disappointed. Sure, the special effects and FPS gameplay are good, but the story itself is just audio messages, given in either in-game real-time or through recordings. Maybe I just prefer character interaction.

Hamster Gutz
08-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Dragon Age: Origins. I haven't skipped a single line of dialogue and haven't been able to play anything else since I got it during the summer sale. I don't think I've ever played a game that sucked me into its story like DA:O.

lillythemoogle
08-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Best story driven series / games

Assassin's Creed
Legend of Zelda
Chrono Trigger / Cross
Final Fantasy VI, IX and XII
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Elder Scrolls

Worst

Portal - I'd like to just do the puzzles thanks, with no shoe horned in laughably bad story
Grand Theft Auto / anything Rockstar does

So bad it's good

Dynasty Warriors

kjath
08-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Half-Life
StarCraft
To The Moon
Baldur's Gate
Dragon Age: Origins
Final Fantasy IV & VIII

Larry1212
08-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I can't believe FF9 isn't getting any love. T'is a great game and has a great story.

RedxHawk33
08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
since evryones allready posted the most widely known story driven games i have one that no one has mentiond yet

The world ends with you
its a nintendo DS game made by square enix

it has one of the best storys ive seen ina video game and ive playd alot of story driven games i.e mass effect heavy rain kingdom hearts but this game stands above them all for me if u happen to own a DS or a 3ds give this game a try

Skelter92
08-02-2012, 09:27 PM
BioWare's RPGs are all extremely story-driven. Now maybe you don't like the story or the characters, but as far as I'm concerned, the storyline is what really makes their games good. Without the story, their games are merely so-so action titles.

Ofcourse they are story driven but they aren't anything special. Their best game imo is Baldur's Gate 2 is a personal story. Look at everything since then that they have made. It's become a save the world scenario except Dragon Age 2 which is a terrible game. Worst framed narrative I've ever seen look at how Alpha Protocol handled a framed narrative.

Dragon Age 2 has some of the worst politics in a game I've seen. Witcher 2 just blows them away when it comes to politics. The whole Northern Kingdoms destablizing, secret factions and morally grey characters add so much to the story. Loghain is probably the best character Bioware has written since idk Irenicus but he pales in comparison to Henselt or Saskia.

Look at Kotor fun game sure but look at Kotor 2. Obsidian made the game more about the Exile and come on Obsidian made Revan awesome NOT Bioware. The jedi's weren't the all powerful beings they were in the first game they were on the run and hiding while being hunted my an enemy they never saw. The Sith are much more sinister and secretive. Avellone even managed to make the force seem more terrifying especially with the whole "wound in the force" plot going on. It's amazing and who doesn't love the influence system? The influence system is what Mass Effect 2 could really have used not the static loyalty missions that always well grant loyalty.

I think Bioware as rpg writers have only gotten worse with each game they have released. Studios like Obsidian and CDProjekt are doing a fine job with more mature storylines and subject matter while also creating fantastic three dimensional characters. Geralt is my second favorite protagonist since the Nameless One. Bioware continues to pretend we have control over our characters like Shepard/Hawke but we neither have the freedom to play how we want or have the depth of a set character.

What really surprises me is that some people think BioShock has a great story. I'm playing it now and to be honest, I'm really disappointed. Sure, the special effects and FPS gameplay are good, but the story itself is just audio messages, given in either in-game real-time or through recordings. Maybe I just prefer character interaction.

I'm right there with you but again Bioware is much more overrated. Bioshock does a great job with the radios, memos and such but also the world tells the story much like Portal 2. I still think Bioshock is overrated but it's ok for an fps. One thing that really dissapointed me though is I read several reviews that compared it to System Shock 2 and come Bioshock is fun but it's nowhere near as good as System Shock 2.

Grim Fandango needs a mention! One of the best adventure games ever.

Knight of Pi
08-02-2012, 10:07 PM
KotOR for me. I really like a lot of the characters and the plot twists, especially the revelation.

As for people talking about Bioware and how good their storytelling is, remember that, starting in 2007 with Mass Effect They were owned by EA. So ya, that could be a reason why.

lillythemoogle
08-03-2012, 12:58 AM
KotOR for me. I really like a lot of the characters and the plot twists, especially the revelation.

As for people talking about Bioware and how good their storytelling is, remember that, starting in 2007 with Mass Effect They were owned by EA. So ya, that could be a reason why.

Considering Microsoft first published the game, so yeah.

I could care less about the parent company as long as the games are good. EA isn't the anti-christ, there are worse companies (Activision, Ubisoft, etc)

Sue77
08-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Some oldie but goodie games with strong stories:

Septerra Core
Divine Divinity
Arx Fatalis
Archangel

Also the Gothic series has a strong narrative thread

:)

forerodestim
08-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Space Ace
Dragons Lair I and II

Burack
08-03-2012, 06:58 AM
It Came From The Desert
Deus Ex
Deus Ex:Invisible War
Deus Ex:HR
Half Life
Half Life 2 & Episodes
The Longest Journey & Dreamfall
Syberia I & II
Another World
Phantasmagoria
The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery
Fallout 3 & New Vegas
Monkey Island series
Police Quest I, II, III
Flashback

scojer 2.0
08-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Uncharted series
Infamous series
Syphon Filter
Mafia 1
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Condemned: Criminal Origins
F.E.A.R. 1 & 2
Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason

Geoffery Dark
08-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Ew... Fallout 3? Seriously?

That game's story sucked ♥♥♥. Not only was it just boring and cliched, it also had a bunch of logical fallacies in it.

My addition:

Morrowind.

alehm
08-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Yars Revenge- not so much the game but the cook comic book that came with it.