PDA

View Full Version : Failed to start the game...

RuStAk
11-29-2012, 06:56 AM
When i launch Far Cry 3 window appears with an error:
Failed to start the game. Cannot find essential information in the registry.
Re-installing the game may fix this problem.
I already re-installed it but error is still appears. How to fix this problem?

FailureofHDDVD
12-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I have the same problem,

verified the game integrity/cache still doesnt work

badavid
12-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Me too. This is extremely frustrating.

Wyld3
12-04-2012, 11:24 AM
mark down another one. :mad:

FailureofHDDVD
12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Try running the game by using the exe within the game folder

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\bin

farcry3_d3d11

But now I can't get pass the CD key problem.....

benjy355
12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I ran the installscript using SteamService and the game still will not launch -_- Manually running FarCry3.exe from the Steam folder only opens uPlay, and you can't activate your game using the key Steam gives you.. :|

PipoXXXmax
12-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Same problem, glad I'm not the only one, sad we are going through this.

ElizLestrad
12-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Same problem here too. At first I thought it was just because the game hadnt activated yet, but apparantly it has so I'm not sure what the problem is.

zeos386sx
12-04-2012, 11:32 AM
same error here.

PipoXXXmax
12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
And yeah, first thing I think was verifying cache, didn't work. Then I went to the folder of Far Cry 3 and ran manually the .exe. It told me that I didn't have UPlay installed. I downloaded Uplay and installed it. Then I ran the .exe again. It opened UPlay but it had to update itself so I waited. After finishing it opened the homepage of UPlay so I closed it and ran again the .exe. This time it opened Uplay at the Far Cry 3 page with a option saying "Go to Game". After clicking that, it asked me for the CD-Key of Far Cry 3, I entered the one Steam gives you when you run the game from Steam itself, and it said it was not valid.

♥♥♥♥ it.

gonzo13
12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
I have the same issue. Also tried running from the folder and it tells me CD key is not valid.

Bad_Motha
12-04-2012, 11:35 AM
If it's from Steam and you can't get it to work, put in a Support Ticket with Steam. I only say this because Steam has had various CDKEY related problems in the past. So you never know, it could be an issue on their end.

PipoXXXmax
12-04-2012, 11:35 AM
If it's from Steam and you can't get it to work, put in a Support Ticket with Steam.

I'm new to that, how do you do it?

Bad_Motha
12-04-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm new to that, how do you do it?

By clicking SUPPORT at the very top of this page.

> Here let me do that for you (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9495-AFGJ-0524) <

Symbolic47
12-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Same ♥♥♥♥ is happening to me

Fatonium
I'm experiencing the same problem. :rolleyes:

d34thd34l3r
pretty pathetic how whenever a major game launches on steam they ALWAYS have problems at launch...get your ♥♥♥♥ together.

Symbolic47
12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Im demanding a refund on this

Outlaw_Sundown
12-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Think I fixed it. Delete Farcry3updatersteam in the Far Cry 3 bin folder then verify the cache. It replaced the file and went through the normal startup process when I tried launching the game again.

badavid
12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I uninstalled and reinstalled as the error told me to do. Now when I re-download, it only downloads 212mb of information consisting of only the soundtrack, manual, and the "survival guide." This is ridiculous.

FailureofHDDVD
12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I just tried verifying the game like 10 times, it's now installing the directx

Fatonium
12-04-2012, 11:47 AM
The game launched for me and I did absolutely NOTHING to fix it. What the hell?

FailureofHDDVD
12-04-2012, 11:48 AM
working now for me

maybe they did a quick fix?

Bad_Motha
12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Sounds like Steam let you all start downloading, before they actually got all the data up on the server.
Wouldn't be the first time. Glad to see it's working now.

zeos386sx
12-04-2012, 11:50 AM
from the support page. I followed this and I am playing now.

Secondary Installers

Aside from verifying your game cache and checking your connection with Steam, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.
If you're encountering issues with launching Far Cry 3, make sure everything installed smoothly.
Exit Steam entirely.
Browse to your Far Cry 3 installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\)
Run the following installers:
...\Steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\Support\DXSETUP\DXSETUP.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\Support\VCRedist\VS_2010_vcredist_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\Support\VCRedist\VS_2008_vcredist_sp1_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\Support\dotNetFramework\dotNetFx35setup.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\Support\GameLauncher\UplayInstaller.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\Support\PunkBuster\pbsvc_fc3.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\bin\FirewallInstall.exe
Reboot your computer and test any issues again.

OS Specific Troubleshooting

If the above does not resolve the issue and you are running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, please complete the instructions in our Windows 7 and Vista Troubleshooting FAQ.
If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps:
Exit Steam.
Go to the Start menu, select Run, type regedit and click OK.
Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
Right click and select Permissions
Check the Allow boxes for Admin and System for both Full control and Read.

p.s. uplay is the caca del toro

foodstampbarry
12-04-2012, 11:52 AM
HAHAHA! Ubisoft Fails AGAIN! Didn't you guys learn after Ghost Recon Future Soldier not to trust this company?? ... Guess not, LOL.

Glad I didn't buy it, I'm waiting till 2016 when it's finally patched and playable :D

gonzo13
12-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Think I fixed it. Delete Farcry3updatersteam in the Far Cry 3 bin folder then verify the cache. It replaced the file and went through the normal startup process when I tried launching the game again.

This worked for me as well.

PipoXXXmax
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Okay, something strange here. I noticed now that every time I ran the game the game launched itself without doing the normal startup progress that happens every time you run a game for the first time on steam (installation, directx, etc). Now for some reason it started doing that, it finished, Uplay opened, asked me for CD Key, I entered the one steam gives you, it worked this time. I'm happy.

badavid
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
from the support page. I followed this and I am playing now.

I don't have any of those options in my support folder.

Bad_Motha
12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I don't have any of those options in my support folder.

Then your game did not finish downloading. Try restarting Steam and Verify Game Cache.

badavid
12-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Then your game did not finish downloading. Try restarting Steam and Verify Game Cache.

I've done each multiple times, restarted, and Steam keeps downloading the same 212 MB of crap and says it's done downloading.

Just_B
12-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm with you badavid. When I press Play for FC3 it says some crap about the map editor which, even when I downloaded (preloaded, according to Steam), still gives me the same error. Seems like we preloaded an 8 GIG file, which somehow was only a 212MB soundtrack.

How the hell do I at least get to redownload the game?

badavid
12-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I'd at LEAST like to be able to download the whole damn game file. At least then I can try some of the fixes everyone else is talking about for the problem I was already having. Ubi is really getting on my nerves with this garbage. I bet the pirates are having a grand old time playing a game I can't even download after paying for it.

Bad_Motha
12-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Did you look here:
\Steam\steamapps\downloading

to see if the FC3 game contents are somehow still confined to this folder?

badavid
12-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Yup, completely empty.

Just_B
12-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Well I got it to redownload an 8GB file as opposed to the 212MB useless junk folders. Deleted local content for FC3 and went into the Tools section and deleted the "preload" map editor local content and hit "Install" on FC3... now lets see if I actually get a bin file this next time around...

Edit #29: Ah yes, at least as it's redownloading, I DO see the actual game files in the steamapps\downloading folder. Perhaps one hurdle down... then we get to deal with all the other issues people are having, lol.

Bad_Motha
12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Yup, completely empty.

That is good. Now go here;
\Steam\steamapps\common
right click the Far Cry 3 folder and click Properties.
What's the # of total files, and total GB size of contents?

EDIT:
Ok, I see. Most likely Steam is downloading in steps, but perhaps the server you're connected to is experiencing high-volume of traffic atm. Give it time. Once it says it's done, could you answer the question I had above this edit line.

Sounds like alot of you are in the same boat as Just_B, so please be patient. As it seems that it has to do the downloads in steps before it's complete. 1st the soundtrack, 2nd the PDF guides, 3rd the support files (DX, VB, PB) and then the full game files. If you see files in the \Steam\steamapps\downloading folder, DO NOT do anything to them or try to access them. This is usually where Steam puts temp files, then when it's done it moves or uncompresses them to their parent folder, which for FC3 will be; \Steam\steamapps\common\Far Cry 3

badavid
12-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Well I got it to redownload an 8GB file as opposed to the 212MB useless junk folders. Deleted local content for FC3 and went into the Tools section and deleted the "preload" map editor local content and hit "Install" on FC3... now lets see if I actually get a bin file this next time around...

Edit #29: Ah yes, at least as it's redownloading, I DO see the actual game files in the steamapps\downloading folder. Perhaps one hurdle down... then we get to deal with all the other issues people are having, lol.

Where is this tools section, I can't find it. Probably just missed it but my time to play for the next week is running down and I'm hustling.

badavid
12-04-2012, 12:51 PM
That is good. Now go here;
\Steam\steamapps\common
right click the Far Cry 3 folder and click Properties.
What's the # of total files, and total GB size of contents?

Size: 212 MB (222,618,657 bytes)

Contains: 24 files, 8 folders.

Just_B
12-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Where is this tools section, I can't find it. Probably just missed it but my time to play for the next week is running down and I'm hustling.

Woops. Sorry. Was playing Skyrim as I waited for the thing to redownload. Go to the Library tab in Steam and in the upper left corner to the right of the search bar has a drop down menu where you can see all games, recents, etc. Tools is in there

BenKYS
12-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Happening to me too.

This is hilarious, the official launch version that I paid 60 bucks for won't work for me but the pirated version was 100% fine and I almost finished it completely.

This is why people pirate, because of crap like this that prevents us from playing our games. Gg Ubisoft and Steam.

Biscu!t
12-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Worked for me after I updated UPlay and restarted Steam.

filthy_beast
12-04-2012, 05:09 PM
for posting the info from the support page. Ran those installers and FC3 has launched. Headed back now to see how it runs.

But like many here I am not happy with Ubisoft for making it necessary to install yet another obnoxious and intrusive client app program [Uplay] in order to run this game. Especially not since I had no prior warning that this would be necessary, before I made the decision to purchase on Steam.

EngiPie
12-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Just bought this game last night, installed it just now, and I'm getting the same error. I'm verifying the cache at the moment. It's sad that the consumer has to maneuver through countless bugs just to play a $50 game.