PDA

View Full Version : Moving DS Files from lame to awesom server?

lextalionis
07-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Hey gang,

I got the best news I could have ever wanted to hear today.

My friend has agreed to host my server on a Dell PE 6450 with Intel Quad PIII Zeon 700Mhz procs, 6gig of RAM, etc. etc. on a T1 line. The T1 line is really what I'm "creaming" over!

Any how, my thought is to just give him an image of my C:\srcds folder and have him copy to this server and open ports etc. and fire it up. So my understanding is that my server WILL have a diff. IP, but same name.

1. Servers can be named the same right, just with diff. IP's?

I guess the best plan (let me know if there's a better plan), is to keep my current server up and advertise (motd and mani adverts) that my server has better specs at IP:PORT, to advertise my current player base to find the new server. Then after a few weeks, decommission my old server.

2. Is this a good plan, anything I may be missing?

Thanks,
lex

jesus likes pie
07-15-2005, 05:54 PM
I dont know how mani works but it probably has what beetle has...

redirection.

So when a server is full it redirects the people to the desired server. So what i would do is put a max players of "1" and then add a bot. So when people join, it shoots them to the second server.

If you can have maxplayers as "0" that would be better but i dont think it allows that.

greenbananas
07-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Yeah Mani has the redirct to another server I have two of my own and one is haosted by a friend, almost like yours, he has a better network than mine so he lets me run my server on his, in mani plugin theres a file called mani_server.cfg in the cfg folder, theres a line called

New for V1.0.9

and in there, theres a line that saids:

mani_reserve_slots_redirect ""

put the ip you want the players to be redierected to. And thats it and you may want to delete the message that will be given when a player is send to the other server, so they dont know there being switch to another server. But if you do want to them to know, you can shange it to like: "You are being switch to the new server, please save the ip to your favs" or something like that. And thats it, works for me.

lextalionis
07-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys, I'll do just that!

Lex

p90guy
07-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Just a small anal comment....

Its Xeon not zeon