PDA

View Full Version : How to run an old version of the client?

ajs410
07-04-2013, 08:37 AM
As you may know, Valve updated L4D2 a few days ago. This update broke Sourcemod.

I run a personal server on a home laptop. My server is still version 2.1.2.3, which was the last version hldsupdatetool distributes.

I have managed to acquire the client files for 2.1.2.3 and made a safe backup of them. I then went into L4D2 properties in Steam and turned off automatic updates.

However, as soon as I launch the game, it immediately starts to update. Is there any way to prevent it from updating, so that I can use an old client on my old server, until Sourcemod works for the new version?

I understand the ramifications of this. I will not be able to play on official servers. I will not be able to play with anyone else who isn't using the old version. I am 100% okay with this, I only play on my server and I only play with my wife and sometimes a friend.

Epsilon
07-04-2013, 08:58 AM
No, there isn't. There'll probably be a new version of Sourcemod along shortly. Why they didn't use the beta period for the update to get themselves ready is the real mystery to me.

In the meantime, do you really need Sourcemod?

Cyba_Mephisto
07-04-2013, 09:01 AM
No, there isn't. There'll probably be a new version of Sourcemod along shortly. Why they didn't use the beta period for the update to get themselves ready is the real mystery to me.[...]

Because it was working in the beta (at least for me).

POLICEMATRIX
07-04-2013, 09:05 AM
from what i read valve have changed the way the engine work the updates will take time {SM} as for plugins who knows
Just took a look at the malloc pointer in the new and the old binaries. I'm no reverse engineering expert, but by the looks of it... Sorry to break it to you guys, but Valve seems to have decided it'd be worth completely changing core stuff in a, well, not-so-popular-anymore game. Instead of a single memory interface, there are now dedicated function sets(CUtlMemory::{Grow,Purge}) for each server class, which are called in the places where g_pMemAlloc operations had been taking place. I'm not sure, but I think this is the way CS:GO is structured. If that's the case, it will take way more than a day or two to bring stuff up to speed. I suppose psychonic is taking most bits out of the CS:GO SDK to accelerate the process, but don't get your hopes up until the next week(my humble estimation). BY V1SoR..alliedmodders

Mambini
07-04-2013, 09:14 AM
From what I understood there are real differences between the beta and the final release.

ajs410
07-04-2013, 09:18 AM
@Epsilon, yes, I do really need Sourcemod. Sourcemod and the associated plugins are what keep this game fun after 3000 hours of play time.

So, no one knows of any way to prevent Steam from updating an old version of the client?

Lemmers
07-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Have you tried launching L4D2 by running the l4d2.exe instead of launching through Steam?

ajs410
07-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Bingo! Thank you Lemmers! I wish I could +rep you a hundred times, but just once will have to do.

I have to have Steam running. But launching the exe directly seems to bypass the Steam "is there an update" check. I currently have my Steam in offline mode as an extra precaution. I will do some experimenting to see whether offline mode is needed, and whether it needs to be LAN. I'll post back later with the results.

Lemmers
07-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Bingo! Thank you Lemmers! I wish I could +rep you a hundred times, but just once will have to do.

I have to have Steam running. But launching the exe directly seems to bypass the Steam "is there an update" check. I currently have my Steam in offline mode as an extra precaution. I will do some experimenting to see whether offline mode is needed, and whether it needs to be LAN. I'll post back later with the results.

No problem. I run a second install of L4D2 so I can view old demos, so I launch it all the time like that. Glad I could be of service.