PDA

View Full Version : Crashing and lockups solved by specifying refresh rates in launch options

Pages : 1 [2]

09-23-2007, 04:33 PM
I had this problem right after I updated my drivers and DX to be able to play Quake Wars and still cant play CSS anymore :( This ??? how can I fix it?

-Did the resolution and refresh thing
-Updated DX
-Updated ATi Drivers
-Tryed everthing

Specs:

ATi X800 XT
Windows XP SP2

D0pe
10-02-2007, 10:50 AM
I still have a problem :( my mouse freezes and my fps suddenly goes down to 20 when i am gonna kill someone

D0pe
10-02-2007, 10:52 AM
This is still a problem after that cummnity stuff that steam didnt really need ! my mouse and keyboard freezes and my fps drops down suddenly to "????--$$)#)$=%%" 20 and i get headshotted by then , please can you not just let us choose if wanna download this or not :( so now i can't play the game i have had this problem for now 2 weeks or more now

I tried this
Update all of my drivers ( i didnt really had too )
updated all my chips ( i didnt really had too )
flashed my bioes ( i didnt really had to but it was good for the computer )
i reinstalld the game ( Counter-strike source ) ( i didnt really had too )
i reinstalld the steam and the game ( And still the same (/$/7%(%)$/%&/$(%/$ PROBLEM
i opende my computer case and took out 1 card and rebooted ( And still the same problem )
and i downloaded a program that would tweak my mouse rate too 250 but didnt work it still was 125 rate
i reinstalld all the mouse driver
i reinstalld the keyboard driver
and i still get the same problem

D0pe
10-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Still need help guys !

big boss
10-04-2007, 06:22 PM
like cheze. Whenever I start the original counter strike, I only see the counter-terrorist and terrorist without all the options.
And after a few seconds the counter strike crashes and its gone.
Help anyone no error messages or anything

btw wat is the settings screen saver file n the steam/steamapps/yourname/counter-strike/valve folder, because i tired opening it and i get an error settings.scr is not a valid win32 application

RP.
10-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I've finnaly updated the original post (mostly updated links and one extra solution) for the first time in a long time, and prolly the last time in the next year or so.

PEOPLE, IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR GAMES AND YOU TRIED EVERYTHING AND IT'S STILL DOESN'T WORK - CONTACT VALVE!
Instruction on how to contact Valve are also available on the first post in this thread.

10-07-2007, 05:19 PM
This is the end. Havent played Counterstrike for a number of months. But why would steam care about it's users they allready got the money from us. No skin off there back.

L33T_pT
10-08-2007, 09:14 AM
This is the end. Havent played Counterstrike for a number of months. But why would steam care about it's users they allready got the money from us. No skin off there back.

Fortunatly for me it's only been like 1 week since the last update and thus, computer freezes.. A while ago it happened too after an update and only 1 MONTH later they released a fix for it. It's sad

10-08-2007, 01:24 PM
My favorite part is not being able to attend lan partys with my team.

10-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I fixed it. I had everything updated before, that was a bad idea I reccomend if your having difficulties downgrade your driver. Here is some ATi drivers that are past. I used April 2007 and all source games work now!

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/aiwradeonxprevious-xp.html

[drivers]

surveysays
10-13-2007, 01:43 PM
I seem to still be having an issue with getting any of the games started and I've gone through all the steps, I'm wodering if it would have anything to do with "activating the product on steam". Or if there are any other conclusions people have come up with.
Specs:
Radeon x800
Lcd viewsonic 22" mon
Res: 1680 x 1050 @60hz refresh rate
I changed the refresh rate to 100 from 60 and still nothing? It has worked before and all of a sudden it started crashing on me and I am going insane to say the very least. I did dl steam onto my laptop and it seemed to be working there only for CS but has been removed, I don't think that would have any affect on my other comp, but I'm no wiz, so if anyone can help it would be very much appriciated.

malmern
10-16-2007, 04:10 AM
I can't run any of the source games anymore, except HL2 and HL:Source :mad:

I just get an error message everytime I try to launch the other source games saying

"hl2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

The error message contains this "error signature":
AppName: hl2.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: shaderapidx9.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0002e59a

I know its not shader problems, since everything ran just fine a few days ago!
I tried dling new drivers today (I was using the ATI february drivers) but I'm still having the same problems :(

Solutions anyone?

Best Regards

Marius "Malmern" Malmstrom

Ps. I already contacted steamsupport, and I'm still waiting for an answer.

1337pwn3r
10-19-2007, 02:23 PM
When i play hl2, the games crashes and i have this message:

failed to lock index buffer in CMeshDX8::lockindexBuffer

What can i do?I get this same problem. Not only for HL2, but any source based game I play. Every other game I run is fine so it has to be a source problem. This happened after the steam update and coincidentially my Nvidia driver updates to 163.71. Has there been a fix for it yet?

This is beginning to become a common issue for lots of people. It's not a hardware thing. It's some kind of software conflict. :(

1337pwn3r
10-19-2007, 02:25 PM
OK this must be a joke... I have the latest drivers, I just ran that steam issues thing.. and it's saying my drivers are out of date.. and the recommended drivers are a year old! WTF?!?

Display drivers: FailedYour nVidia display drivers are currently out of date
For updated drivers, click here (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Display Version: 6.14.11.6371
Recommended Driver Version: 91.47
Recommended Driver Date: 09/01/2006
Severity: Very High

KingPil
10-21-2007, 01:27 PM
I think this might be something to do with NaN Velcotiy??

It;s guess a guess.

**Hides from gun shots**

/\rch-=nMe=-
10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Im getting the same issues here guys, HL2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close,,blah blah.This started about 2 months ago, ive not been able to complete EP 1 because of it. I can get HL2 to run but nothing else. Ive re installed about a 4 times now, nothing. Im using ati`s 7.10 drivers atm, perfect for all other games.
Ive just today bought Orange Box hoping it would run, nope, nothing, same error. I thought well, i can do without finishing EP1 for now, i just wanna play some TF2.

My sys specs :

amd 64 3500+ (no oc)
2 gig o` ram
ati x1900xt 512mb
win xp sp2
1680 x 1050 60 hz refresh.

Is this still an issue that has no fixed solution? Any help would be mucho appreciado,,:confused:

Lauris
10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
its fixed now i think , thank you valve

-Stealth Beast-
10-26-2007, 03:03 PM
lol YOU think

Lauris
10-26-2007, 04:55 PM
lol yh its fixed for me woking fine now

Lauris
10-26-2007, 05:59 PM
omg steam update it and im getin da same problem again... they startin to piss me off now

ekbalam1701
10-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Holy CRAAAAP!! Even this forum is full of bugs...I just typed a huge post about my problems and received an error.

Steam sucks. Does anybody have any real answers to the failed to lock index buffer and memory could not be read crash errors? Sometimes I get them, sometimes I dont...but when I start HL2 (orange box) it's only a matter of time before I crash. It is inevitable. I've tried all the solutions posted here and elsewhere on the net. Nothing works!

3.0ghz pentium dual core
1gb of ram
512mb nvidia geforce 7600gs
win xp

Anyone? I'm extremely disappointed. I sunk a load of money into building a computer worthy of games like half life 2 and doom 3...I tried HL2 first cause I loved HL, but this really stinks. I'm desperate for ideas. Anyone got any?

ekbalam1701
10-26-2007, 06:10 PM
And before it is suggested, I submitted a question to Valve through the support site. That was 10 days ago. Nothing.

gulliwog
10-26-2007, 09:09 PM
For me, everything worked fine yesterday, today no games will launch. No error, just the "Preparing to launch...." dialog, followed by nothing.

I have been up all night trying the fixes mentioned through this thread (and others), but nothing works and I dont believe its the same problem.

This seems to have happened to ALOT of people today. Only Steam/VALVe can help... please guys there are a lot of unhappy gamers out there today and we need you.

Lauris
10-26-2007, 10:47 PM
totaly aggre with u gulliwog only Valve can fix this problem so HELP US!

ekbalam1701
10-27-2007, 07:46 AM
:mad: I guess we're putting our faith in you Valve. You can either piss off all your gamers who have developed a real affinity for HL and others by not responding to this and pretty much guarantee we will never purchase your products again, or you can do something about this...rise to the occassion and fix the bugs in your product and restore our faith. Your call.

Tgaud
10-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Same problem than gulliwog.
game start loading then nothing not even a msg error.
and CSS works fine.

on 10friends having steam, only 2 works fine with the orange box.
i'm the only of them speaking english so i post.
but we're desesperate right now...

ekbalam1701
10-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Oh my God! After a month and a half I found an answer that seems to be working. Before I tried this, I wasn't able to play for 10 minutes without a crash of some kind. After trying this, I've been playing for 4 hours straight with no sign of a crash. I'm even playing with the graphic setting turned all the way up. (except for shadows and reflections, but that's another post). I did lose my saves because when I tried to restore them, they were apparently corrupted in some way.

Try the instructions found here:
http://www.zero-line.de/2007/08/23/steam-error/

It directs you to basically delete your game files and force Steam to use what's in your cache...or something like that.

Do this! Hopefully it will help some of you get back to the game. Please post here if it works or not so others can see.

gulliwog
10-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Sorry ekbalam1701 but this doesn't help at all for my problem. Exactly the same thing happens, "Preparing to launch... ", then nada. No error, no message.

Once again I beg you to look into this at steam. Reading the forums suggests a lot of people are having problems... please please HELP.

Btw, for anyone wishing to try ekbalam1701 method you don't need to delete your game file. If you rename it Steam wont find the path and will create a new game file. That way if it doesnt work you can just delete the new game file and rename you old one back without having to copy all your content left and right.

surveysays
10-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether windows updates have been causing the games to crash because i removed windows reinstalled it and it worked fine until i installed some updates now the games will not load.

gulliwog
10-27-2007, 10:16 PM
So, I used Steams "ask a question" service to tell them about this problem yesterday. Today I sign onto my support account, I goto "My Stuff" and click on "Questions - check the status of your question".

Well, basically, nothing appears in the list. When I filled in the question it seemed to have been sent off correctly, I got a page offering some possible initial solutions.

I have never used the "ask a question" service before, shouldn't it appear in this list? Does the fact that there is nothing there mean that my "question" never got through to Steam? I heard its not good to send lots of questions, so I don't want to send another on if mine is really being processed, but Im just not sure.

Does anyone know?

ekbalam1701
10-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Okay, screw my previous answer. I played for 4 hours yesterday with no crashes...loaded it up this evening and crashed after 10 minutes.

I'm fed up. If Best Buy would let me get my money back on opened software, this would be on the express shuttle tomorrow morning. I guess the Valve disks make good orange coasters.

F@#K!

ThinkyWinky
10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Installed HL2 ep.2.
After Valve logo, while loading... my PC restart. M$ tells me that there's some problem with hardware (grafics).
Tried everything.
- updated drivers
- installed Riva Tuning
- changed command line (as rohanprabhu suggested)
...nothing to do :-(

HP Pavilion t3120.it
Intel Pentium 4 630 HT 3 GHz
1 GB SDRAM DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 Turbocache 256 MB

I played *whitout* *any* *problem* HL2 and HL2 ep.1 (1280x1024)... can't believe that my pc, that's "only" 2 years old, isn't able to play HL2 ep.2

someone can help me? thx

Lauris
10-29-2007, 03:14 PM
yay! I found an answer ATI catalist centre or {ATI} try tools {Nvidia} or eny other program crashes the game so uninstal eny graphics changin software and reinstal the game that will force the game to run on default graphics and no crashes .

gulliwog
10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Laruis - Im not sure if your answer really applys to me, what do you mean by graphics changing software? You mean "Reforce" and stuff like that?

I have nVIDIA 7600 with latest driver. Thats all.

Lauris
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
no not reforce ,softwares like : Catalyst Control Center , Ati tray tools......
(i dont know what they called on NVIDIA )

ekbalam1701
10-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Gulliwog, you and I have the same card I think (I've got 7600 GS 512MB). Not sure what Lauris is takling about...there is the NVIDIA Control Center in the Control Panel, but that doesn't run at all unless I open it. Not sure what Catalyst does for the ATI cards.

Lauris
10-29-2007, 06:26 PM
that does run in the background , uninstal it and if ur game still crashing then im wrong coz im not sure about Nvidia , but thats how i fixed mine i tryed everyting and nothing was working until i uninstaled ATI control panel now its working fine ;)

ekbalam1701
10-29-2007, 06:47 PM
My problem seems to have evolved into the same gulliwog is having. I can't even load the damned thing now.

Damn it Valve...fix this crap product of yours.

Lauris
10-29-2007, 07:39 PM
UPDATE: According to Valve this problem no longer exist
so i dont think valve will help you with this one , try to rainstal your windows thats the best solution atm

gulliwog
10-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Believe me THIS problem does exist!! Maybe another one that is similar doesn't exist anymore, but this one sure does.

Ekbalam, I think your card is the one above mine... I have 7600 GT (256mb).

I have the NVIDIA Control Panel which runs in the system tray... but how do I uninstall it? In my Add/Remove programs all I have for NVIDIA is:

NVIDIA Drivers (no size or other info)
NVIDIA Forceware Network Access Manager size 20.95MB
NVIDIA Photoshop Plug-ins size 1.45MB

The NVIDIA Drivers, I assume, is my motherboard driver (nForce 5 series) and maybe my graphics card. I know that the Forceware Access Manager thing is suppost to cause problems with Steam, but its always been on my machine.

How do I uninstall the Control Panel indepentently? And once uninstalled how do I control all my 3D settings etc? Cos the NVIDIA control panel is part of my Windows "Control Panel".

As for VALVe, quite a few people seem to be having similar problems to this... including a lot of Orange Box buyers, so I'm not sure they will be able to ignore it.

Also, write to steam, make a ticket. Btw I asked a question in the previous page of this thread about "steam tickets", could anyone who has done this before read back to my post and tell me if they think my ticket has been recieved by Steam? I'm not sure, having never done it.

LC0g
10-30-2007, 06:25 PM
I have tried to this *****.
Why can't Steam fix the retreving server info?
I have not played CS: S in two days because of Steam related problems.

poooooor lil guy... drugged in CSS as he was in smokin... sad.

geeeeoffff
10-31-2007, 05:30 PM
problem solved!

the problem has been solved!

For future reference you can read the following:

i tried to run msinfo32 and for some reason it said it could not collect information.

so i tried to figure out how to fix that problem. A user ( gulliwog ) linked me to a related thread. Another user (terak) on that thread suggested i type this into windows command prompt

net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD

lo and behold my msinfo32 worked!

Terak also said this might fix my problem with running the games. and it did.

gulliwog
11-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Glad you got your problem fixed geeeofff. Wasnt the "net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD" command for Vista though? Mind you my msinfo seems to be working. So thats not my problem.

antikryst6
11-01-2007, 04:43 PM
so im kinda lost... im looking at this thread and dont see the answer.

so the solution to steam being stuck at "parsing game info...." and not connecting to server, is? :

JTrill
11-04-2007, 10:06 AM
I think mine isnt working because I'm trying to run this on an intergrated video card..... :mad:

KingPil
11-05-2007, 08:14 AM
What the hell is Valve doing?!?!

After one update it works, then another update and it doesn't work again!!

I sent a ticket more then 2 weeks ago and no reply.

How can I get my money back?

suid
11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I have a Asus A8N-SLI Premium MOBO
AMD 3800+ DualCore CPU
PNY GEFORCE 8500 GT 512 MB

and I am currently having this issue aswell, none of my steam platform games will start, they crash and go back to desktop.

I have tried everything suggested in this thread, twice prior to this posting.

Any further information would be of help.

Adam
GaloreGameServers

suid
11-06-2007, 12:06 PM
DISABLE YOUR STEAM INGAME STEAM COMMUNITY.

Click on community tab.

Click on settings.

Click on In-Game Tab.

Un-check the 'show ingame' box

Retry loading your game.

Cheers!!

(This was posted previously in the thread but looks like its been getting missed over, so i'm making it a bit more apparent)

Adam
GaloreGameServers.com

avengerl
11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi, I ahve a problem. its always said that my driver is outdated, but i always chose the continue anyway.

I have the Radeon x300 series, yes its quite old.it was together with my HP computer that i bought 2 years ago.

I tried to update it. follow the instructions given at the website, uninstall the ATI softwares and when i restart it, the program is still there in my control panel. I wasnt able to detect the files either.
And then, everything just shuts off. i was unable to be directed to the desktop. Until i chose the option of " last worked configuration" then i could enter the desktop.

Is there any way i can update the driver? Im not looking to get a new one because the only game i play on the computer is Counter strike source.

suid
11-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Start > Right click on My Computer > Goto Manage > Devices > find your 'Graphics Adapter' or 'Video Adapter' > Rightclick > Update Driver.

In order to completely uninstall a video driver, reboot into safemode and remove it. Then reboot and reinstall the drivers, and reboot once again.

When you try to remove them in regular mode, you are actually using the video drivers so they cannot be properly removed.

Cheers!

Also, another way to fix the above mentioned issue (What this thread was originally about)

Disable DEP (Data Execution Prevention)

Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced TAB > Error Reporting TAB > Check the disable box.

Your game should now load.

Cheers!
Adam
< No Advertising >

P0rkD0rk
11-17-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm tired of this ????. Source SDK and Source SDK base (basically, everything with the new Source engine) haven't been working for me for two months now. Every time I try to play Source SDK or Source SDK base it says "Preparing to launch" and then an error message pops up. "hl2.exe has stopped working" or "SDKlauncher.exe has stopped working" and I am tired of this. I either want my ????ing money back or I want this to be solved.

I have tried every solution there is on this blasted forum. I have asked everyone and they just told me to try the solutions. Well I am sick of it! I want to know what the hell the problem is because it sure as ???? isn't my system. Msinfo32 works fine, my video card should be more than enough and the Steam system test said that my entire system was compatible. My processor is also compatible. I want answers, not excuses!

Either that, or I am not buying any more of your god awful software.:mad:

avengermerc
11-28-2007, 01:42 AM
i have my own problem:
When i load TF2 the screen shuts off and i have to manualy restart.

This problem happens on TF2, hl2 ep 2 and portal. in portal, i can only get up to the first elevator and then the screen shuts off and displays "No Signal Detected". In ep 2 i get up to Alyx giving me the Grav Gun and the same thing happens. In TF2, it shuts off at random times. When the screen shuts off i have to hold down power to turn it off. How can i fix this

i have all the minimum requirements:
Leadtek Winfast nVidia GeForce A7600 GT 256MB
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2 Ghz
1024mb RAM
DirectX 9.0c
Windows XP Pro

please help, i dont know how to fix it! its bugging me!

ckata1
12-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Well just purchased Orange-Box few days ago. Couln't play for more than 10-15 minutes before my PC would lock up. Had no idea what would be causiing it, read this post and changed my refresh rate from 75hertz to 60 and all has been ok since. Each time it would lock up and I had to do a hard boot. One time I did get out and windows reported this error below.

My Specs:
AMD Athlon 3200 64bit
Win XP SP1
1.5GB RAM
Geforce 6800 (latest Nvidia Drivers)
Monitor: VX922

//
// Watchdog Event Log File
//

LogType: Watchdog
Created: 2007-12-10 21:54:55
TimeZone: -600 - AUS Eastern Standard Time
WindowsVersion: XP
EventType: 0xEA - Thread Stuck in Device Driver

//
// The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop. This
// usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device
// driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your
// display device vendor for any driver updates.
//

ShutdownCount: 2069
Shutdown: 0
EaRecovery: 1
EventCount: 2
BreakCount: 2
BugcheckTriggered: 1
DebuggerNotPresent: 1
DriverName: nv4_disp
EventFlag: 1
DeviceClass: Display
DeviceDescription: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
HardwareID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0045&SUBSYS_96601462&REV_A1
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
DriverFixedFileInfo: FEEF04BD 00010000 0006000E 000B18E7 0006000E 000B18E7 0000003F 00000008 00040004 00000003 00000004 00000000 00000000
DriverCompanyName: NVIDIA Corporation
DriverFileDescription: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 163.75
DriverFileVersion: 6.14.11.6375
DriverInternalName: nv4_disp.dll
DriverLegalCopyright: (C) NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.
DriverOriginalFilename: nv4_disp.dll
DriverProductName: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 163.75
DriverProductVersion: 6.14.11.6375

JoesGuy
12-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Okay, so I've read through most of this, though it doesn't seem to address my problem. I only tend to play SP with Half-Life Anthology and recently I've noticed when starting a new game or loading a save in Blue Shift causes the game to crash at "Establishing Network Connection to Server" and occassionally on "Validating game files." The thing is, both Half-Life and Opposing Force still work fine, and Blue Shift worked too last time I played a few weeks ago. It just stopped working recently.

I've tried updating my graphics driver, reinstalling both Half-Life and Steam and starting in Offline mode. I installed the Hi-Res pack yesterday, but have since uninstalled it....so it couldn't be that. Advice? -_-

boringmike
12-17-2007, 10:57 AM
After changing any graphics options, the game closes and I receive error "DirectX Error DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error. Please check DirectX Help document for possible details."

AMD X2 6000+, nVidia 8800 GTS 320mb with newest drivers.

I never had Xfire installed.

I disabled the new Steam 'in-game friends community' via the Steam settings, and now the game works fine.

People need to try disabling the Steam in-game friend feature.

:o

darbdavys
12-18-2007, 07:07 AM
sometimes (almost always ^^), i must restart steam to make games work :/ just "preparing to launch Half-Life 2", then it just disappears :( when i restart steam, it's ok, but it's annoying to turn off steam, turn it on and wait till it boots up. what's wrong?

suid
12-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Turn off Data Execution Prevention

DEP.

Start > System > Advanced ...Its in there...

Or, allow srcds.exe in the exception list.

Cheers

< No Advertising >

castek
12-24-2007, 05:46 PM
well everytime i start steam i have to go through the installation process. once that completes, i cant run any source games. i get module failed to initialize error then the memory could not be read error. this is major annoying. i was playing fine one day, next reboot steam says its updating and now nothing...

system specs

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 3201 Mhz
1 logical processor
1 physical processor
HyperThreading: Unsupported
RDTSC: Supported
CMOV: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE: Supported
SSE2: Supported
3DNOW: Unsupported

Network Information:
Network Speed:
IP Address: 10.1.1.XXX

Windows Version:
Windows XP (32 bit)
NTFS: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
DirectX Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.11.6921
DirectX Driver Version: 6.14.11.6921
Driver Date: 4 Dec 2007
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x400
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Desktop Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Primary Display Size: 18.50" x 11.54" (21.77" diag)
47.0cm x 29.3cm (55.3cm diag)
Primary Display Type: DFP
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary AGP GART Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 256 MB
Primary Monitor Vendor: Samsung
Primary Monitor Model: Samsung SyncMaster
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Game Display Settings
Counter-Strike: Source Resolution: 1024 x 768 (Fullscreen)
Counter-Strike: Source MSAA Disabled

Sound card:
Audio device: Realtek HD Audio output

Memory:
RAM: 2046 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 276627 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 133662 Mb
OS Install Date: Apr 25 2007
Installed Packages:

suid
12-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX
from microsoft.com or from http://filehippo.com/download_directx/

This is crucial, also, I would suggest uninstalling steam in safe mode, delete all the dir's related to steam, and then try a fresh install..

-Regards
adam
< No Advertising >

sup2069
12-26-2007, 10:05 AM
DISABLE YOUR STEAM INGAME STEAM COMMUNITY.

Click on community tab.

Click on settings.

Click on In-Game Tab.

Un-check the 'show ingame' box

Retry loading your game.

Cheers!!

(This was posted previously in the thread but looks like its been getting missed over, so i'm making it a bit more apparent)

Adam
< No Advertising >

It worked THANKYOU!!

My problem was Hl2.exe has stopped working, thanks!

malyuk1
12-27-2007, 09:42 AM
MOVED

(admin you can delete this)

Bellmaster3
01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm having a problem w/ CS 1.6. I get in the game. I can play for a minute other times like 20 seconds. Usually like 20 seconds and the game just goes out of fullscreen and into windows. Closing out the CS game. My graphics card is pretty outdated but I think it can handle CS. I've redownloaded direct x9 and updated my driver for my graphics card. My monitor
does refresh at 60 hz. I've tried all like 6 different hz (60-85) with 1 resolution and none works. The craziest thing is my brand new laptop is doing the exact same thing. Can it be my router or what?
Card:
Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Specs:
Memory Interface:64/128-bit SDR, 64-bit DDR
Texels per Second:800 Million
Memory Bandwidth:2.7GB/s

Bl!zZaRd Xtec
01-27-2008, 09:59 AM
guys can u help me? becuz on my counter strike it says when i start it up :

Half-Life Launcher Has Stopped Working

Close Program And Find An Online Solution

Close Program

thats what it says and i cant fix it at all

itwasbo
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
great information, thanks! helped me.

Bl!zZaRd Xtec
01-29-2008, 05:41 PM
for my problem it says this

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: hl.exe
Application Version: 1.1.1.1
Application Timestamp: 43712ff5
Fault Module Name: opengl32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bda4
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002a310
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 75a9
Additional Information 2: cb26e76bc7349fd14de43f5c1be7685e
Additional Information 3: a136
Additional Information 4: 56309c7c7c21b29daa21d7944d1d956e

please tell me how i can fix this

Hoffe
02-02-2008, 04:32 AM
THERE IS NOT ENOUGH FREE DISK SPACE TO RUN STEAM... i kan not install a game... the text are coming upp when i start steam... kan someone help me please

Bl!zZaRd Xtec
02-13-2008, 09:06 PM
i do have enough disk space but it still wont work for me :(

SillyWildcat
03-05-2008, 05:50 PM
here is another step, and it has fixed most steam players that have been trying to play HL2 modifications. so here is what you should do, go to Start (if vista, type CMD, and press enter)(XP user, go to RUN and type CMD, then enter). once the Command prompt window is up, type in the following without quotations.

"net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD"

press enter. close the window and restart steam, after reloadingsteam try running any of the hl2.exe modificatios

this solution applies to games such as

Counter Strike Source
Day of Defeat Source
Half-Life 2 : Episode 1
Half-Life 2 : Episode 2
Team Fortress 2
and other third party mods..

MeTaL_666
03-17-2008, 12:37 PM
ADVICE TO DELETE Steam.dll from Windows/System32 !!!! Thats was my problem!!!

Bl!zZaRd Xtec
03-20-2008, 05:35 PM
here is another step, and it has fixed most steam players that have been trying to play HL2 modifications. so here is what you should do, go to Start (if vista, type CMD, and press enter)(XP user, go to RUN and type CMD, then enter). once the Command prompt window is up, type in the following without quotations.

press enter. close the window and restart steam, after reloadingsteam try running any of the hl2.exe modificatios

Counter Strike Source
Day of Defeat Source
Team Fortress 2

ok can this help me problem i got this as my problem thing:
Problem signature:
Application Name: hl.exe
Application Version: 1.1.1.1
Application Timestamp: 43712ff5
Fault Module Name: opengl32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bda4
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002a310
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 75a9
Additional Information 2: cb26e76bc7349fd14de43f5c1be7685e
Additional Information 3: a136
Additional Information 4: 56309c7c7c21b29daa21d7944d1d956e

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Bl!zZaRd Xtec
03-20-2008, 05:36 PM
also i have vista and i dont know what to do at all i wanna play cs so badly :(

Bl!zZaRd Xtec
03-20-2008, 05:40 PM
i just did what u said and it still wont work

SillyWildcat
03-20-2008, 10:24 PM
i just did what u said and it still wont work

is it just CS Source that you are having problems with?

Loki056
03-22-2008, 03:00 AM
Ok for those still having issues with their game crashing at random times, make sure that the hl2 has its box checked in the windows firewall exception list. That seemed to to be my fix.

drewp83
04-07-2008, 11:10 AM
iv recently just purchased cs; condition zero package, it installed fine but when i went to play it for the first time it crashed straight away and this message appeared "Half-Life launcher has stopped working"
i dont know a ♥♥♥♥ load about computers but iv tried most of the things listed on how to fix crashing problem but cant seem to get it working. if anyone could help it would be most appreciated.
iv got the orange box game and i can get all the games working on it, its only the cs that i downloaded that dusnt work.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz 2.66GHz
RAM: 3326 Mb
Speed: 2133 Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
Primary Display Resolution: 1280 x 960
Desktop Resolution: 1280 x 960
Windows Vista (32 bit)

Bl!zZaRd Xtec
04-12-2008, 08:13 AM
is it just CS Source that you are having problems with?

im having trouble with all steam games but i only play cs

ApresMoi
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
im having the problem where it says it's preparing to launch and then crashes, except it's with TrackMania Nations Forever, i tried all the suggestions here but to no avail can anyone help me?

edit- ok so i went to the compatibly settings in properties and click all the boxes like, run in 256 colors, disable visual themes, etc. and now when i double click to open it my screen goes black like it's going to start up then returns to my desktop with the preparing to launch box up and then the launch box crashes, so basically the only thing different is that im getting a black screen before the launch box crashes.

NativeOne
04-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Microsoft's Operating System Is The Culprit Not The Game, Not Your Video Card.

Show Me A Linux Gamer That's Having The Same Problem.

Bill Our Trusted Friend Wants To Sale More XBOX's!

"Play The Game, Not The Player" ~MEB ~NativeOne

NativeOne
04-26-2008, 05:46 PM
More Bad News...

Change All Display Properties To 800x600 InCluding Game.

The Games Play In MicroSoft On 800x600 TrueColorHighest At 32Bit. At Displays Refresh Rate. {On Mine It's} 60Hz. Make Sure Your Video Screen Fits Just Inside, Monitors Borders. With Thin Line Of Black Bordering Window.

The GoodNews Is,.. At Least You Will Get To PlayIt.

Tell Bill Thx The Next Time You Visit His Site. :)

i Haven't Tried Going Back To Higher Resolution Yet, With Thin Black Border Just Within Monitor Screen As Of Yet.

i To Would Like To Finally Get To Play My Single Player Games As Well.

CabooseTheKinG
05-03-2008, 09:32 PM
k i dled a skin from fps and now that its on
steam wont run any maps for me nemore
i virus scanned checked everything and it all
seems fine restarted everything
but it wont work nemore

plz if anyone can help
plz do

GunsnArmor
05-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Well I am a very blue man right now. I've spent the last two days looking through this entire thread and I've come nowhere. The only difference I'm noticing is that Steam keeps asking me if I want to participate in the Valve Hardware Survey. I don't know anything about my computer. I got a new hardware about two years ago so I could play Black and White 2. I guess I should have wrote down the specs or whatever.

I'll try to figure some things out. When I do I'll post them here if it will help you guys help me.

Casval Rem
05-30-2008, 03:02 PM
I Have tried Everything Specified in the First post yet i still Cant Get TF2 to Run, the 'Preparing to Launch' window comes up for about 1 minute then i get the hl2.exe Error, My Anti virus and firewall are down and i have Tweaked the Startup options no luck at all

zubrowka
05-31-2008, 07:25 AM
i have this config: AMD turion 64 2.00GHZ
2024 ddr2 ram
Geforce 8600GM
Windows vista 32bit

I launch a game, and dont start it.
ENGINE ERROR:Platform error: module faild to initialize
i dont know what is it..:confused: :confused:
Please Help me

Please to reply here: mutagen@freemail.hu

Thanks a lot!!

EVOL BABY
06-06-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm terrified to ask how to fix the crashing problem of EP1. All the other games play okay. I use Garry's Mod to play EP1 but the triggers don't always work so you can't advance to the next level but at least you can play.

Silent_Crow
06-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I Have tried Everything Specified in the First post yet i still Cant Get TF2 to Run, the 'Preparing to Launch' window comes up for about 1 minute then i get the hl2.exe Error, My Anti virus and firewall are down and i have Tweaked the Startup options no luck at all

Same. Every other orange box game works, except TF2. I've reinstalled, updated drivers, verified integrity, tweaked startup options - Nothing has worked. Would really appreciate the help.

Unknowncod13
06-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Ok so I've put my problem on every other thread, now It's going on here. I haven't read through every page on here so mayb someone already answered this but is ther anyway to stop it from crashing Tf2 and Steam at the loading screen?

If there isn't then hopes Valve will make update soon coz I've had this for over a week now and I'm really feeling let down by Valve atm.

stef11
06-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Hello aLL my problem is shaderapidx9.dll i get this error when i try to start the game ? Anybody knows what i shoud do ? Win XP SP3 , all drivers and DXversion is the latest. Nvidia FX 5700 175.16driver version.. but i think the problem is Dcom or something like that...

EVOL BABY
06-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Now the problem is with Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. During the gameplay the game freezes up.

Not only that but this is the buggiest game I've ever played. People and mission characters including oneself disappear from the screen, fall into bottomless pits, rise up into the air for no reason and are inaccessible. Makes me feel like this game was rushed out of production and the problems not addressed.

BrainFreeze
06-20-2008, 11:32 PM
I had this same problem...I would get the dialog box saying 'preparing to play' and then it disappear but no game. I had like 20 games in my Steam folder. Not one would work. Yet my friend chat did. I tried all solutions offered in this thread. Came close to formatting my hard drive. Ended up uninstalling all my games, steam and valve sub directories, then only to reinstall Steam and one game tfc that downloaded fast.
My Solution? I had disable my Windows XP updates, once I got the latest updates everything worked again. How simple was that? And how dumb I was to disable it.

Connor.SG-1
06-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Hello,

Since I've bought HL˛, each time I want to launch the game, the "preparing to launch the game" window pops up and after it disappears, nothing, the game doesn't start, I've got the same problem with HL˛ :Lost Coast !
Whereas Episode 1 & 2 and HL˛ : Deathmatch, work fine. I've tried each and every solution of the first posts but that doesn't work for me. Can anyone help me please ?

Thanks in advance

Edit : I've tried your solution BrainFreeze, I've installed Sp3 Windows and stuff updates in the window update website ... Doesn't still work ...

justanormalkid
07-12-2008, 07:58 AM
i get this strange error while playing tf2 sometimes where it says the program requested to end in a unusual way.Does anyone know how to solve this problem.

k.lucky
07-12-2008, 01:59 PM
this has done nothing for me..ive already wasted 20 dollars on re-buying the game when i had a problem before now this. this is stupid. yes i did all this and all the crap i found on google and i still got no css.

if anyone has any other solutions to this please contact me..

giles705@msn.com

o i couldnt fix the refresh rate thing cuz it didnt give me the choice///

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7860/rrvm7.th.jpg (http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rrvm7.jpg)

k.lucky
07-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Counter Strike Source
Day of Defeat Source
Team Fortress 2

when i try that i get a thing that says

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

would it be because my whole family is on the same network or something? should i type this in the main computer?

capman888
07-26-2008, 05:58 AM
I cant figure out how 2 get all my games back on steam. I logged on 2 day and i found all of my games were not installed and i cant figure out how 2 get them back. I tried goin 2 PRESARIO(C) and opening steam up there but it didnt work so what should i do

Residenthalo
08-14-2008, 08:01 AM
I found the refresh rate option in my graphics card, but it says to either use default or enter an override value. Can anyone tell me what to enter to disable it?

NeatNit
08-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Use default?

soapychicken1
09-01-2008, 01:59 PM
hl2.exe has stoped working

That is what pops up when i try to start up garys mod.

Might it be that i need to buy Half Life2?

ForgedReality
10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
AFAIK, Garry's Mod requires assets from HL2, as well as the Episodes (if you intend on using those assets, but I don't think it requires the Episodes to run...) It might be as simple as getting the HL2 SDK, which is free.

Don't quote me on that though.

edit -

Also, for the original post.. I have problems running Steam games at certain resolutions (1600x1000, 2048x1280), but not others (1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1200)... It used to work, but lately, it doesn't. I think it might have to do with my nvidia drivers, since I update them often, and the Steam client itself. It stopped working 2 months or so a go (maybe a little more), and at first I thought it was the driver alone not liking certain resolutions in direct3d, but, no, it only happens with Steam games, but I first noticed it after updating my driver one day. However, I reverted back one time, and it still exhibited the same behavior.

It gives a wierd "the memory cannot be 'read'" error and crashes the game immediately.

2440x900, 1680x1050, and 1920x1200 all work, as do the standard 4:3 resolutions I've tried. There may be others that crash, but I always try to run games in 16:10 ratio, so I'm not sure about more.

Is this the same problem this thread refers to? My "fix" has been to specify -windowed mode, and then change to a resolution in the game that doesn't crash. What's odd is that, like I said before, I used to be able to run in all resolutions with no problems.

Slob187
10-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Where can I get the refresh rate value ? :confused:

harp69
10-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi, for the longest time i had the preparing to launch problem, it would jus go into a black screen and come back out as if i never even launched it. But After downloading ATI Radeon Graphics Catalyst Control Center (i think its 8.9), it works! My graphics card name is ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series. Now I can lOad into the actual game; however, Now i have another problem. when connecting to a server, after its done loading i am able to see the map, and hear the people play but a few seconds after my computer automatically reboots... then when i restart my windows i get the error:

siuloader.exe- Unable to locate Componenet.
This app has failed to start because MSVBVM60.DLL was not found. Re-installing the app may fix this problem.

ANy Ideas? I hope im close in actually gettin to play the game :(

Thankyou in advance

terabyte
11-09-2008, 05:19 AM
Hi, for the longest time i had the preparing to launch problem, it would jus go into a black screen and come back out as if i never even launched it. But After downloading ATI Radeon Graphics Catalyst Control Center (i think its 8.9), it works! My graphics card name is ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series. Now I can lOad into the actual game; however, Now i have another problem. when connecting to a server, after its done loading i am able to see the map, and hear the people play but a few seconds after my computer automatically reboots... then when i restart my windows i get the error:

siuloader.exe- Unable to locate Componenet.
This app has failed to start because MSVBVM60.DLL was not found. Re-installing the app may fix this problem.

ANy Ideas? I hope im close in actually gettin to play the game :(

Thankyou in advance
I found this by Googling the file name you posted:

SYMPTOMS

When trying to run a program (e.g. SpywareBlaster®), the following error is displayed:

A required DLL file MSVBVM60.DLL was not found.

OR

Cannot find import DLL; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version
File "MSVBVM60.DLL", error 1157

CAUSE

This behavior can occur for any of the following reasons:

* You do not have the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 run-time files installed.

RESOLUTION

* You must install the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 run-time on your system. The download is available from Microsoft:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp5/WIN98Me/EN-US/vbrun60sp5.exe

Slapsy
11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
hi, if i install any steam game on a pc, Example Counter strike source, will it then work if i again install it, but on another pc :S? because i bought a new pc, and i dont want to waste 20 Dollars.. can someone please help me ? i dont work and i wonder if that is the problem :(

ikki
11-16-2008, 02:11 AM
HL2.exe has stopped working

Application Name: hl2.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 470c11ae
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00

VALVE FIX THIS, PLEASE !!!

1vxkeapxv1
11-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Description: I load up steam, steam comes up fine. I go to my games and double click the Counter-Strike source(CSS) icon and I get the typical message: " Loading Counter-strike source..." or whatever it says. The small box with the msg dissapears as usual but the game never loads. My friends list shows me in game for a split second and then I get the standard HL2 error from microsoft: "HL2 failed to execute", and it asks me if I want to send the error log.

What I have allready tired: allof the above includeding the sitick on memeory errors;updated chipset, video drivers; Deleating the clientregistry.blob; Disconnecting from friends list restarting steam with steam friends off; full uninstall of Steam and CSS; tried loading CSS on multiple(3) accounts; Counter-strike 1.6 loaded perfectly!!

Things I might want to try? : Deleting all local data from the appData folder in Documents and settings?

I'm at a loss and have pulled every idea out of my arsenal. I was hoping some others from the CS community could give me their input. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Log1k
#iClutch #teamPanic #destroyed
CAL-IM team arsenic; Cevo-M team destroyed; Cal-Main Placement tourney. s13

My System:
Mobo: Asus M2N-Sli-Delux
CPU: AMD X2 6400+ (AM2)
Cards: 2 x 8800GTS 512 mbs GDDR3
Monitor: 22" LG 2ms
550 watt Antec; samsung DVD writer etc..

Soerensen
11-26-2008, 11:02 AM
I really don't know what to do here.
I have nVidia 8800 GT graphic card.
And I am running vista. Could someone please tell me what to do, so a not so computer smart would beable to do it as well?

Soerensen
11-26-2008, 11:09 AM
This isn't our problem guys. Valve is the responsible in this case, and they better fix it!

ikki
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
APPCRASH test >>> mat_queue_mode 0

Neoace303c
12-24-2008, 05:56 AM
Then I finally just reinstalled Vista and wow ...wouldn't you know it ...all my games are up and running just fine with the highest settings ! lol...I had problems with CoD5 and Fallout3. i was pissed I spent the 100$ and they both wouldn't work, my pc was def. up to specs.

I tried everything, then as a last resort I finally just reinstalled, and it worked !!! seems there are allot of problems with codecs and junk that have been building up over the years ! lol....anyway give it a try. it's worked for everyone I've asked to try it ! lol....and if you say you cant run vista !! then your puter def. isnt' up to specs enough to run any good games :)

hope this helps.

have fun.

I really don't know what to do here.
I have nVidia 8800 GT graphic card.
And I am running vista. Could someone please tell me what to do, so a not so computer smart would beable to do it as well?

marix38
12-27-2008, 04:35 AM
i have a prob?

when im trying to run my garrys mod,

it just comes to the "main page" then it crashes..

why does it happens?

iubas
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
im trying to run dod:source on my new laptop and the game simply crashes in the main menu.. i try to clink in the options and the game crashes... my OS is windows Vista I have 4Gb and my gaphic card has 256ram..

help?! :s

Citizen Zee
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi, I usually don't post about these kinds of things, but I feel like I should emphasize that the following solution did work to resolve my launching/crash issue completely:

Counter Strike Source
Day of Defeat Source
Team Fortress 2

It also helped Left 4 Dead for me and all of the other source.exe type games. Good luck guys.

Delidavsan
01-12-2009, 11:13 PM
"What a Perfect Service From Steam"

god, it is almost 4 years and a lot of people write about the same problem but steam / valve does nothing. they didn't reply my email too, they took my money but I can not play the game. My friend sent me the game as a gift but neighter him nor me didn't know this problem. So I definitely resolute to mention about this problem in all online gaming forums and warn the people about steam, of course will not forget to mention that they didn't fix their bug for 4 years, may be the bug is not in their software!

Mancham
01-29-2009, 06:21 AM
HI, i got a new computer the other day and i installed the orange box but i can't play any of the games. It gets past the preparing to launch box and gets to the point where there is a background (different for each game) with the loading box in the bottom corner, and after a minute or so, it closes and says that the program has encounterd an error.

I've try'd so many things to fix it that i cant keep track. None seems to have done anything as of yet. Has anyone got any ideas or encounterd this problem on a similar spec? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Here's my spec:

Dell Studio XPS
Intel i7 920 2.67GHz
6 gig DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

Thanks

01-29-2009, 06:53 AM
HI, i got a new computer the other day and i installed the orange box but i can't play any of the games. It gets past the preparing to launch box and gets to the point where there is a background (different for each game) with the loading box in the bottom corner, and after a minute or so, it closes and says that the program has encounterd an error.

I've try'd so many things to fix it that i cant keep track. None seems to have done anything as of yet. Has anyone got any ideas or encounterd this problem on a similar spec? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Here's my spec:

Dell Studio XPS
Intel i7 920 2.67GHz
6 gig DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

Thanks

Have you tried updating your drivers, also scan the game cahce to make sure the file downloaded properly to do that:

Right Click the Game
Click Properties
Click "Local Files" tab
Verify Integrity of Game Cache

it will just make sure everything is in working order.

Mancham
01-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Have you tried updating your drivers, also scan the game cahce to make sure the file downloaded properly to do that:

Right Click the Game
Click Properties
Click "Local Files" tab

I have the latest drivers for my graphics card and directx 10. Any others i should check?

I also justchecked the integrity of the game cache and they're all fine.:confused:

I was wondering if it had anything to do with my firewall/virus protection? I use Comodo, are there known problems with that?

01-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Not too sure you would have to check steam's support and see what they say about that app. I would try this:

Open steam
Disconnect Etherne (so your secure)
Disable yor firewall and antivir
Launch the game

If it works you know its a firwall isssue.

Mancham
01-29-2009, 09:12 AM
OMGZ!
It works!

Right, let it be known that Comodo firewall/aniti virus blocks steam/source games.

Thanks 880753, that's great :D

However, now i need a new firewall/antivirus, any sujestions?

aphonic.
02-25-2009, 02:09 AM
wow this helped me alot, thank you.

NativeOne
02-25-2009, 03:10 AM
OMGZ!
It works!

Right, let it be known that Comodo firewall/aniti virus blocks steam/source games.

Thanks 880753, that's great :D

However, now i need a new firewall/antivirus, any sujestions?

Windows has it's own FireWall. You don't need another One!

That would be like having Two Anti-Virus Programs ...You Don't Do It!!!

Just re-EnAble your Anti-Virus program after you Play.

Dis-Able Your Anti-Virus's FireWall Program. If it has one!

Deltic
02-25-2009, 03:49 AM
But the windows firewall is rubbish , hence you turn that off and have a real one, eg : a router etc..

Stonebraker
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeh Comodo is blocking the games. New firewall is key.

SacreD23
03-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Hy,I get an error like this "Counter-Strike:hl.exe -Application error" memory could not be "read".I have Window xp sp3 and Avira AV and I'm using windows firewall.I have also Directx 9.0 and the latest Ati drivers.What could be the problem?

Sadistic.C.Bean
03-13-2009, 06:06 AM

Right Click the Game
Click Properties
Click "Local Files" tab

After posting in this same forum with no reply, I could say that the help here is lacking in regards to questions that can't easily be remedied with a quick google search.

I get a launch error when trying to run FEAR2, the "preparing to launch game" hangs then closes.

The suggestion about Verifying Game Cache also doesn't work since Steam hangs upon clicking it and then closes.

Any help or incite as to what this issue is, game side/steam side is much appreciated.

sergiu1230
03-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't know why but when i'm trying to play the game(Counter Strike 1.6),a error pop up. The error is: Fatal error: Could not load fylesystem dll.
FyleSystem crashed during construction.

Pls help me.

Edit:never mind. Problem fixed :)

tdtg
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
i had this problem (splash screen, then nothing, TF2), finally fixed by nvidia driver update to 182.50.

Marloto
04-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I have to say that you have done an impressive job on that manual.

Great job. It helped me a lot.

kingking802
04-16-2009, 04:05 PM
i tried mostly everything how do i know if my driver is NVIDIA or ATI how do i find out?

BurningScarlet
05-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey, anyone an expert on sound drivers? I jsut finished updating today, and I started up Half-Life 2 and it was working just fine till I hit the Intro vid. So then I type -nosound in the command line and then it worked perfectly. But honestly, who wants to play with no sound? I saved it after the intro vid, then deleted the command line, then loaded from the save point. Then it worked just fine till I finally got outside the first building. it says windows has encountered an error and needs to shut this program down, blah blah...

Now, anyone have any advice? Don't tell me to do the usual updating fiascos, I've done all of them.

NativeOne
05-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey, anyone an expert on sound drivers? I jsut finished updating today, and I started up Half-Life 2 and it was working just fine till I hit the Intro vid. So then I type -nosound in the command line and then it worked perfectly. But honestly, who wants to play with no sound? I saved it after the intro vid, then deleted the command line, then loaded from the save point. Then it worked just fine till I finally got outside the first building. it says windows has encountered an error and needs to shut this program down, blah blah...

Now, anyone have any advice? Don't tell me to do the usual updating fiascos, I've done all of them.

update your device drivers from manufacture ONLY.

your devices dont need no other driver to work on any OS.

un-install update or driver.

when windows ask to look for driver cancel.

then install or load driver, that you downloaded from manufacture of device.

Better still just use driver that comes with device. (found on CD) if nothing else works.

what sound card are you using anyway?:confused:

NativeOne
05-02-2009, 07:16 PM
i tried mostly everything how do i know if my driver is NVIDIA or ATI how do i find out?

open control panel. go to device manager.

click on Display Adapters.

This will tell you what Graphics card you are useing.

:cool:

BurningScarlet
05-03-2009, 06:20 AM
I'm using a Realtek High Definition Audio card. It's a pretty obscure card, that's for sure... I just updated to R2.22, so it's pretty much the latest driver. But my game seems to work fine without sound. Is the driver and the game clashing somehow?

NativeOne
05-03-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm using a Realtek High Definition Audio card. It's a pretty obscure card, that's for sure... I just updated to R2.22, so it's pretty much the latest driver. But my game seems to work fine without sound. Is the driver and the game clashing somehow?

On the realTek tray icon, right mouse click.

Then click on audio devices.

Right mouse click In the center of the box where nothing is.

Choose SHOW DISABLED DEVICES.

The disabled device will now show.

Click properties on that device, simply make sure USE this device is enabled.

This will solve your sound problem while in game.;)

RealTek is a good card. Dont throw away.

s3b4k
05-27-2009, 08:38 PM
ive tried all this i get Platform Error: Module failed to intialize.\any help

timotmcc
05-28-2009, 03:24 PM
What happens if my game locks up on server browser?
Happens with tf2, but also with any other game with a server browser
Doesn't happen every time, but enough to count
Geforce 9800 GTX+
Intel core 2 duo @ 3GhZ
4gb DDR2 RAM
running game at 1650x1280
Vista 64 bit Ultimate

CrazyCranium
05-30-2009, 11:02 AM
From yesterday my Steam games doesn't work. It's happened with Left4Dead and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch. They start running and after few seconds they shut off with critical error. I'm already changing my video drivers and deleting all programs which in "conflict list" with steam.
Error message:

AppName: left4dead.exe
AppVer: 0.0.0.0
ModName: shaderapidx9.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 0002e056

What this is means? And what i must do?
PS: Geforce 9600 GT. and both of this games was work 2 days ago.

NativeOne
05-30-2009, 11:59 AM
What happens if my game locks up on server browser?
Happens with tf2, but also with any other game with a server browser
Doesn't happen every time, but enough to count
Geforce 9800 GTX+
Intel core 2 duo @ 3GhZ
4gb DDR2 RAM
running game at 1650x1280
Vista 64 bit Ultimate

First make sure you have the latest video drivers for your videocard Vista 64bit.

then check your firewall settings. In windows check make sure game is listed and box checked to allow.

If your not useing windows firewall, check that as well.

if your using two firewall (Windows plus anti-virus firewall) turn one off.

Two firewall programs have a tendicy to conflict. Much like having two Anti-virus programs.

NativeOne
05-30-2009, 12:28 PM
From yesterday my Steam games doesn't work. It's happened with Left4Dead and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch. They start running and after few seconds they shut off with critical error. I'm already changing my video drivers and deleting all programs which in "conflict list" with steam.
Error message:

Do the same as above with one exception...

First make sure you have the latest video drivers for your videocard.

then check your firewall settings. In windows check make sure game is listed and box checked to allow.

If your not using windows firewall, check that as well.if your using two firewall (Windows plus anti-virus firewall) turn one off.
Two firewall programs have a tendency to conflict. Much like having two Anti-virus programs.

Latest video card drivers are indeed crucial.
If you didn’t have the latest ones Steam would already have told you so.

So Steam is good for something.

If all the above doesn’t work. Try un-stalling sound card drivers then re-stalling them.

Some video cards come with sound drivers that would conflict with your already existing ones.
So un-installing your sound card drivers and re-installing them should remove that conflict.

CrazyCranium
05-31-2009, 01:46 AM
Do the same as above with one exception...

First make sure you have the latest video drivers for your videocard.

If your not using windows firewall, check that as well.if your using two firewall (Windows plus anti-virus firewall) turn one off.
Two firewall programs have a tendency to conflict. Much like having two Anti-virus programs.

Latest video card drivers are indeed crucial.
If you didn’t have the latest ones Steam would already have told you so.

So Steam is good for something.

If all the above doesn’t work. Try un-stalling sound card drivers then re-stalling them.

Some video cards come with sound drivers that would conflict with your already existing ones.
So un-installing your sound card drivers and re-installing them should remove that conflict.

Done all of this, but games still not works. Also i'm try re-instal Steam and games - same problem.

cryptodan
05-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Error message:

Try this: http://www.xoxideforums.com/972144-post11.html

Your issue has nothing to do with video card drivers.

NativeOne
05-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Done all of this, but games still not works. Also i'm try re-instal Steam and games - same problem.

Try what cryptodan gave, sounds good.

However another thing you might want to do incase that fails. is lower your resolution while in game.

go to option /video/ see if everything is at max. if auto detections says you can run at those settings do so.

but lower your game resolution to something like 1024 x 768.

there are also command lines for launching game in steam, for the video settings that you prefer. Like resolution 1024 x 768. i will find and edit this response.

This way game recognizes, your actual monitor display settings.

what ever they are.

here are those command lines taken from here

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Command_Line_Options#Steam_.28Windows.29

-w <width> - Forces the engine to start with resolution set to <width>. Ex: -w 1024
-h <height> - Forces the engine to start with resolution set to <height>. Ex: -h 768
-refresh <rate> - Force a specific refresh rate. Ex: -refresh 60

There are other commandline options, just read over them.

CrazyCranium
05-31-2009, 10:00 AM
It does not work anyway.

cryptodan
05-31-2009, 11:03 AM
It does not work anyway.

Try this: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

NativeOne
05-31-2009, 12:18 PM
also run

chkdsk /f

in safemode with command prompt at system boot up F8

or just run in windows and system will ask to do it at system reboot.

just remember the command line "chkdsk(space)/f" without quotes.

better safe then sorry.

:)

NativeOne
05-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Try this: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

very good cryptodan

i forgot about

Rebuilding the WMI Repository

If you experience behavior when using WMI, such as application errors or scripts that used to work are no longer working, you may have a corrupted WMI repository. To fix a corrupted WMI repository, use these steps:
Windows XP and Windows Vista

Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE
Note: In Windows Vista, you need to open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
Type this command and press Enter:
net stop winmgmt
Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.
Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:
net start winmgmt
EXIT

i still feel that running "chkdsk /f" may solve other software conflicts that obviously may exist as well.

Hats off:)

ps..

Getting a reputable registry Cleaner won't hurt iether.

:)

Here's another good site to check Directx Diagniostics

http://www.updatexp.com/directx-diagnostic-tool.html

go to start menu

run

type dxdiag

CrazyCranium
06-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Well.. I am tryed all solutions except this "chkdsk /f", but it's sounds not good :P

cryptodan
06-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Well.. I am tryed all solutions except this "chkdsk /f", but it's sounds not good :P

You may just have to reinstall Windows as suggested by MS.

NativeOne
06-04-2009, 03:36 PM

Before you give up.

Shut down Steam.

Then Right Mouse click On your desk top Steam icon.

Then Click Properties, Then click the advance Button.

In advance, Check The Box "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR".

Then Re-start Steam. By clicking on the Steam DeskTop Icon.

Try that, then run chkdsk /f, weither that works or not.

magickoopa24
06-13-2009, 12:09 PM
I have the everything updated, but after 5-10 seconds after I select my game and it says "Preparing to launch portal" It fades out and says "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time." I have been trying to try again for a year now, and I submit this because I may have a different kind of problem, because I have windows vista. And even running it as administrator doesn't do anything.

NativeOne
06-13-2009, 03:17 PM
I have the everything updated, but after 5-10 seconds after I select my game and it says "Preparing to launch portal" It fades out and says "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time." I have been trying to try again for a year now, and I submit this because I may have a different kind of problem, because I have windows vista. And even running it as administrator doesn't do anything.

i have to admit the only time i've run into a problem like that. Is when the game wasn't fully installed.

With that said, try uninstalling it, then re-installing.

Delet local game contant in games on steam. (Right mouse click) on Portal. Then Properties delet local game contant.

Or run un-install Portal from control Panel while steam is Online.

Then reboot system. And re-install Portal in Steam Games.

Hope that helps.

hmryu
06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
My steam passed everything, I tried everything, and yet it still has the error hl2.exe has stopped working when I try to run team fortress 2.

NativeOne
06-17-2009, 07:30 PM
My steam passed everything, I tried everything, and yet it still has the error hl2.exe has stopped working when I try to run team fortress 2.

if you have Vista, right mouse click on teamfortess 2's desk top icon. then go to properties, then advance. then check the box that says, "Run As Administrator".

re-start steam then run team-fortress from it's desktop icon.

if that doesn't work re-store your system back to the time you didn't have that problem.

The Squid
06-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I can't play any of my games from Steam (which is only Half-Life 2: Episode One and Zombie Panic). What happens, is whenever I start up the game, it works fine for the first 5-10 minutes, but then my computer shuts off completely (I could be in the server list and my comp would shut off, so I don't have to be playing the game for it to happen). The games used to run just fine months ago, but I took months off from Steam and I came back to play Zombie Panic with a friend (the friend is new to Steam, and has the same problem too).

So, I tried to solve the problem by first uninstalling Steam along with the games, and reinstalled them back to see if it'd fix the problem, but it didn't work.

Then, I updated my graphics cards, and it seemed to have fixed the problem... I was able to play the games for hours... but then later in the day, after playing Zombie Panic for around an hour, my computer shut off without warning again, and the 5-10 minute thing started up again.

I ran a virus scan and nothing came up, so I updated Directx10 and the problem still continues. What should I try next?

cryptodan
06-17-2009, 08:24 PM
I can't play any of my games from Steam (which is only Half-Life 2: Episode One and Zombie Panic). What happens, is whenever I start up the game, it works fine for the first 5-10 minutes, but then my computer shuts off completely (I could be in the server list and my comp would shut off, so I don't have to be playing the game for it to happen). The games used to run just fine months ago, but I took months off from Steam and I came back to play Zombie Panic with a friend (the friend is new to Steam, and has the same problem too).

So, I tried to solve the problem by first uninstalling Steam along with the games, and reinstalled them back to see if it'd fix the problem, but it didn't work.

Then, I updated my graphics cards, and it seemed to have fixed the problem... I was able to play the games for hours... but then later in the day, after playing Zombie Panic for around an hour, my computer shut off without warning again, and the 5-10 minute thing started up again.

I ran a virus scan and nothing came up, so I updated Directx10 and the problem still continues. What should I try next?

Your issue sounds like heat is causing it. How is the colling is this a desktop or a laptop?

The Squid
06-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Your issue sounds like heat is causing it. How is the colling is this a desktop or a laptop?

It's a laptop. I never thought about heating issues, but that could be the problem since this is the first summer I tried playing 3D games with it. I guess I should look into cooling pads or something if that really is the problem. Thanks for suggesting that, I'll see if they'll work when the laptop is cooler. :)

hmryu
06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
The last time I can remember it being workable is a pretty long time ago, and the system restore doesn't have a checkpoint that far back. ??

oldsnake5
06-19-2009, 12:33 AM
I have an annoying lockup specific problem, basically the rundown of how it goes is...

1. Join a steam game server (multiplayer) (eg. Day of Defeat Source).

2. Begin playing for about 15-30 minutes, maybe more or less as the problem occurs randomly through out the time playing.

3. The game will lock up, and my screen will begin to spasm and twitch at which time I am unable to move or do anything. Although everything in the game server is still happening and being relayed to me, I'm unable to do anything (I can still see people moving for a short time, and hear people on microphones.

4. My options after this happens is I can: access the menu by pushing escape which leads me to believe that it's not graphical problems as I am still in control of the game, but anyways... I can disconnect from the game, but will be unable to rejoin for about 5 minutes until I "Timeout" \\ If I remain in the game and let it just sit there I'll eventually disconnect from the server with a timeout message, and if I rejoin the server the loading screen gets stuck in PARSING INFO for about 5 mins in which it will again say timed out.

This problem occurs at different times but it does indeed have a pattern, for example if I'm playing and this problem occurs and I reconnect after the timeout, the problem will occur more continuously, and much quicker, I'll be able to play maybe 5-10 minutes maximum, if I quit the game and come back an hour though it resets and I can play again for about 30min-1hr.

It's a very annoying problem, and as far as I have tested solutions, none have worked. I've cleanly re-installed steam as it suggested. I've removed and turned off virus scan programs and other programs that could interfere with the game. I've deleted and made sure no programs caused this as far as I can tell I didn't change or install anything when this first started happening 2 months ago.

Other people have reportedly had this problem, but none have figured out the solution from what I know? I've contacted steam support 3 times and relayed my problem and they keep giving me solutions which I've already tried, short of reformatting my computer which I refuse to do.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem, you would become a god in my eyes as it's possibly the most annoying game problem I've ever had! :o

cryptodan
06-19-2009, 12:38 AM
I have an annoying lockup specific problem, basically the rundown of how it goes is...

2. Begin playing for about 15-30 minutes, maybe more or less as the problem occurs randomly through out the time playing.

3. The game will lock up, and my screen will begin to spasm and twitch at which time I am unable to move or do anything. Although everything in the game server is still happening and being relayed to me, I'm unable to do anything (I can still see people moving for a short time, and hear people on microphones.

4. My options after this happens is I can: access the menu by pushing escape which leads me to believe that it's not graphical problems as I am still in control of the game, but anyways... I can disconnect from the game, but will be unable to rejoin for about 5 minutes until I "Timeout" \\ If I remain in the game and let it just sit there I'll eventually disconnect from the server with a timeout message, and if I rejoin the server the loading screen gets stuck in PARSING INFO for about 5 mins in which it will again say timed out.

This problem occurs at different times but it does indeed have a pattern, for example if I'm playing and this problem occurs and I reconnect after the timeout, the problem will occur more continuously, and much quicker, I'll be able to play maybe 5-10 minutes maximum, if I quit the game and come back an hour though it resets and I can play again for about 30min-1hr.

It's a very annoying problem, and as far as I have tested solutions, none have worked. I've cleanly re-installed steam as it suggested. I've removed and turned off virus scan programs and other programs that could interfere with the game. I've deleted and made sure no programs caused this as far as I can tell I didn't change or install anything when this first started happening 2 months ago.

Other people have reportedly had this problem, but none have figured out the solution from what I know? I've contacted steam support 3 times and relayed my problem and they keep giving me solutions which I've already tried, short of reformatting my computer which I refuse to do.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem, you would become a god in my eyes as it's possibly the most annoying game problem I've ever had! :o

Can you list your specs and how you connect to the net?

oldsnake5
06-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Time of this report: 6/19/2009, 01:16:53
Machine name: ZUES
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.090206-1233)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: GeForce7050M-M
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3328MB RAM
Page File: 631MB used, 4579MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9589)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9589&SUBSYS_E410174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6860 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/20/2008 19:18:07, 314880 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
Mini VDD Date: 8/20/2008 21:52:41, 3299840 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D6C9-11CF-376E-1AC4A1C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x9589
SubSys ID: 0xE410174B
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000

Internet Connection
---------------------

Wired Cable Connection Through SHAW Internet Services, wireless also enabled...

My internet is directly connected to a:

D Link Router Model: DGS 1005D (Gigantic Switch)

|
|-------------This connects to more internet and cable hardware
such as:
-Linksys WRV200 Wireless-G VPN Router
-SB5102 Motorola Cable Modem (VoIP Phone System)

cryptodan
06-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Time of this report: 6/19/2009, 01:16:53
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: GeForce7050M-M

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3328MB RAM

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9589)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9589&SUBSYS_E410174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Driver Date/Size: 8/20/2008 19:18:07, 314880 bytes
Mini VDD Date: 8/20/2008 21:52:41, 3299840 bytes

You need to update to SP3, update your video card drivers, and make sure your directx is updated to the March 2009 updates.

Also make sure you have the dual core optimizer from www.amd.com.

Make sure all your chipset drivers are updated before upgrading to SP3.

Internet Connection
---------------------

Wired Cable Connection Through SHAW Internet Services, wireless also enabled...

My internet is directly connected to a:

D Link Router Model: DGS 1005D (Gigantic Switch)

|
|-------------This connects to more internet and cable hardware
such as:
-Linksys WRV200 Wireless-G VPN Router
-SB5102 Motorola Cable Modem (VoIP Phone System)

Can you try with only your Motorola SB5102 and nothing else on your network connected to it.

oldsnake5
06-19-2009, 02:18 AM
hardwire connect my computer to the Motorola Voice over IP modem? I'm not to great with the whole network aspect, as it's not mine to usually deal with.

I guess I can give that a try, no doubt I could assume that the problem is linked to my network somehow, as the problem doesn't seem to be related to any graphic problems. Though updating my drivers and what no does sound like a good idea.

I'll see if I can tamper around with the modems though for a bit.

studabakahawk
09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi I just D\L'd Star wars Jedi outcast. this game hasnt been able to boot up yet. everything else is working fine. I have amd quad 4 pcu, and 8800 gt in sli mode .
I get black screen with sound loop, then i get basic set up options screen but its frozen. and it will go a few frames , at really,really slow speed then it crashes to re-boot.
any sigestions>
Everything else works fine.

laferio
09-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi, I've been having a serious problem lately and its been driving me up the wall. Whenever I try to go onto steam. It either stops responding or takes atleast 3 minutes to get the steam store page up. Here is the big problem. If it stops responding I would try and ctrl+alt+delete and nothing would happen. Pretty much windows explorer would stop working along with everything else that I would try and click on. Even if I do get steam up and I go to "My games" it would constantly be saying "scanning for steam games updates". So I go to my processes and I look at steam only to figure out that its using over 152k Memory usage. I would wait for the "scanning for steam updates" to finish but when steam is active everything else starts to run extremely slow. Could somebody please provide my a viable solution to this other than "reinstall steam". I'll tell you that steam has worked fantasticly last weak and now its not. I've pulled out a system restore bit that hasn't fixed the problem. I've also trying deleting my blob files and yet that hasn't worked. I've deleted every file in my steam folder other than steam.exe and steamapps and yet that has not worked either. I'm running Vista at the moment and that shouldn't be a problem because it was working perfectly last week. I've disabled any firewalls and I've also ran virus scans to pick up nothing.

I've looked around and it seems very few people are getting the same issue I am. So I'm trying to repair steam by using the original msi Installer and when I attempt to repair it, it stops and states "Error:1334. The file support.url cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file Cabs.w1.cab. This could indicate a network error an error reading off of the CR-ROM Or a problem with this package"

sdrrt
10-11-2009, 08:22 PM
I am having this problem and is starting to get very annoying. I can't play any source game for half an hour without me having to restart my computer due to it crashing.

I have tried doing many things. I have tried all suggestions in this thread, I have also tried to eliminate each factor, e.g. playing with no sound, forcing the game to use an older version of directx etc etc. Still nothing.

I was wondering if anybody had made any progress with this problem, or if the fix above works

davilonge
11-15-2009, 02:55 PM
this problem come from a lot of things like old drivers(nvidia, ati, direct X... refres rate and other sources but i strongly recommend: scan your computer with spy bot search and destroyer. i scanned my compueter in the last night i clean like 6 bots, and 1 troyan, 4 spy all deleted now i can play any
source games.
Spy bot search and destroyer: THE BEST Spyware ever
http://www.safer-networking.org/es/download/index.html

Trudolf
11-19-2009, 07:33 AM
i got issues whit cs:s, when i'm playing on a server, and the maps changes i load the map but the game freezes when i get back in the server... i can do anything after...

System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: P5K
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/30/07 20:44:12 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1498MB used, 4865MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402&SUBSYS_82431043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1779 MB
Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
Shared Memory: 1279 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Algemeen PnP-beeldscherm
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7519 (English)
DDI Version: 10
BGRA Supported: Yes

Nightswipe
11-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I wil lget L4D2 tomorrow, but i'm afraid I will be unable to play it so I hope I can get some help here...

I can not start (as far as I have tried) L4D, Portal and Team Fortress 2. Half-Life 2 seems to work though.
When I try to launch it the only window appearing after "preparing to launch" is left4dead.exe has stopped working, the program will shut down and I will be notified if there is a solution to the problem(yeah right!) My only option after this is to close it.

Any ideas? I tried unblocking it from my firewall, I tried the shortcut thingie with other resolutions, I have the latest graphic drivers...

Help?

Nightswipe
11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Aaaaand surprise! L4D2 doesn't work either! :C

Csumbi
11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
My issue is that I just cant launch CoD6: MW2 since friday...
All it does is the following:
I click on launch -> mirror pops up that says ( Prepearing to launch Call of Duty: modern warfare 2..) then nothing happens for a sec --> mirror disappears (meanwhile some longnamed file appears in my MW2 folder...) and that goes on for an hour or more and at the end I have around 200 mega of long-named useless files in my Mw2 map. Meanwhile the status in my Steam for MW2 says Sync:0%-0byte/s...
I guess it cant syncronize some files, according to the status that it shows me in steam...
Already reinstalld the game 2 times and steam once...
That looks kinda mashd up but I hope some1 can help me in this...
kinda sucks that I buy the game and after 1 week I can't do anything with it.
Anyone any idea?

Thanks and have a nice day

Utilitarian
12-12-2009, 08:51 AM
In September after months of working properly, I opened up steam one random day I tried to start DoD and CSS they begin to start and then just stop working giving me the message : There is a problem with HL2.exe and we had to close the program.

Now if someone can help me this it would be much appriciated. I hadn't changed any settings no differents is hardware, I'm really at a loss here.

The game has worked fine for the last two years or so on the same system.

Plz help.

DDuckMan
12-25-2009, 06:51 AM

I have the same problem. TF2 runs great at a solid 110 fps, but once or twice a round it will freeze for 3-5 secs. The screen will usually go blank and the sound will loop, then the game resumes as normal. Rarely does HL2.exe actually crash. Sometimes I can go an hour or two without the problem, but it is still pretty annoying.

TF2 1600 x 1000 all setting maxed, vsync on
Win7 64bit
core i7 @ 3.96 MHz
6GB ram
nVidia 280 GTX 191.07 drivers, ambient occlusion on
Creative xFi
Intel 25M SSD