PDA

View Full Version : Hmm.. problems hosting server from home. Someone help?

annoyingproblem
01-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Well I'd like to host a server from home. I have a dedicated 7mb down/3mb up pipe to use so I'm assuming thats plenty.

Here's my problem. My ISP uses a nat gateway for business/commercial accounts that I have. All I have a is a private internal network IP address assigned to me. And I share the NAT IP with thousands of other customers.

I've tried to host and use the NAT IP, will not let people connect (not suprising but I tried).

Is there a way I can host a server, or multiple servers from my connection?

Hope that makes sense, thanks for any info.

CG1
01-25-2007, 03:20 AM
Heh, some ISP's in UK started doing that a while back. Unless you have control over the ISP's NAT firewall, no you can't host anything. You'd have to contact them.

annoyingproblem
01-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Well I thought the same thing so I never thought much of it, until I installed F.E.A.R.

I'm able to host a server on FEAR without any problems. People connect from everywhere to my server without a hitch.

How is it possible I can host a game server for another online FPS game like FEAR, and I can't for Steam/Valve based games?

CG1
01-25-2007, 01:14 PM
What I'd check is:

1) Are you really sharing a public IP with other customers?
2) Does F.E.A.R use any bridging through servers belonging to the people who developed it?

annoyingproblem
01-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Yes I share a NAT gateway IP with tons of other users on my ISP.

No idea about "bridges" and FEAR. I know when I seek out my server from a friends house, or from my other broadband connection here at home it displays my servies NAT IP for the server address.

CG1
01-25-2007, 06:28 PM
FEAR may work if your ISP's gateway allow UPnP technology, and so do FEAR servers. This would allow dynamic random port forwarding when required.

Another scenario which could make your FEAR server work is if instead of players connecting directly to your IP address, your server connects to a master FEAR server. So do players. Packets are "bridged" between you and FEAR master servers. Although that's kinda expensive, I doubt it's this.