PDA

View Full Version : I don't have access to my Neighbours router.

lukewatts94
03-03-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't because we are Networked and he lets me use his Internet connection which he has a Router. I can't do anything can I?

Anyway around this?

Jake_E
03-03-2007, 11:28 AM
No. You MUST have access to the router configuration to forward the ports. You can't run a server otherwise. There is no way around it.

M_C
03-03-2007, 02:43 PM
You shouldn't even run a server and use all his BW if he's being nice enough to give you access. You should use HIS internet as little as possible.

EleMenT_BL
03-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah really, you shouldnt run a server on his bandwidth. If you have a server running on there, his internet is going to be slow as hell.

RideGuy
03-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Most people would not notice the difference if all their upload bandwidth was gone. Surfing, downloading, etc would be the same.

Talk to your neighbor, he might be cool with it. It really depends on your upload speed if it's even possible. If you're wireless it might not work either.

M_C
03-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Servers use more than upload BW, they use down BW too, it's just most accounts have less up than down. If he's getting internet from his neighbor as a favor, he shouldn't try to take advantage. Even asking him is selfish and a sign of a spoiled kid who thinks he should have everything he wants, when he wants it. He should get a bike route and pay for his OWN internet before soaking his poor neighbor. He should only use the neighbors internet sparingly, like for his homework, not for gaming or forum reading.

Johnny5
03-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Have you considered the extra cost involved in running a server? My bandwidth costs have doubled since I started running one. Not everyone has unlimited bandwidth, they pay for it by the megabytes used on their line per month.
Also Upload speed is very expensive.
Maybe ask your neighbor about it, and offer him some cash if he will open the proper ports for you.
cant you just get your own line?

M_C
03-06-2007, 02:29 PM
His own internet would require him to actually get a job and work for money. You don't think he wants to mow lawns, wash cars, flip burgers or otherwise work when he can just be a parasite and leech off his neighbor's generosity, do you? He doesn't even see anything wrong with it since he's asking how to get around his neighbors router security.

RideGuy
03-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Servers use more than upload BW, they use down BW too, it's just most accounts have less up than down. If he's getting internet from his neighbor as a favor, he shouldn't try to take advantage. Even asking him is selfish and a sign of a spoiled kid who thinks he should have everything he wants, when he wants it. He should get a bike route and pay for his OWN internet before soaking his poor neighbor. He should only use the neighbors internet sparingly, like for his homework, not for gaming or forum reading.
You have no idea the arrangement he has with this neighbor. You comments are ridiculous.

M_C
03-06-2007, 08:32 PM
You have no idea the arrangement he has with this neighbor. You comments are ridiculous.

I don't care what kind of arrangement he has with his neighbor, posting threads asking how to get around his neighbors router security is wrong. If the neighbor is nice enough to give him access, he shouldn't act like a spoiled brat and use all of his BW running game servers.

Your comments are superfluous. :rolleyes:

L.o.D.
03-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Also keep in mind that most if not a lot of ISPs do not allow any kind of servers. So he could easily cause termination of his neighbors service.
If that happens, he would turn to the OP or his parents to pay for it.

Johnny5
03-08-2007, 02:21 PM
yeah thats why evey month, my ISP adds up how much bandwidth I have used. I pay by the megabytes used, for instance 1000 megabytes down, cost me like a third of what 1000 megabytes upstream costs every month.Which is why alot of ISPs dont allow servers. because of the high upload traffic used.
I wish I could just pay one fixed rate every month, and get unlimited access.

M_C
03-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Even an ISP that offers unlimited BW will often restrict users from running servers.