PDA

View Full Version : Minidump Files

franky
03-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I am experiencing a UDP Packet error when I try to boot my SRCDS install. Every guide I have tried is yet to work for me.

Everytime the server crashes on the UDP Packet error a MDMP file appears in the C:\srcds directory.

What I would like to know is:
1. What is it used for / Its Purpose (Is it like a debug output)?
2. Is there a way to open it so it can be read? Currently I get what looks like an encrypted data output when I try to open it with Notepad.

This is mainly because when I click OK on the UDP Packet Error Dialog Box, the Terminal Garbles about 20-30 lines then closes before I can examine what it was saying. I was thinking that it may be stored in that MDMP file.

Any help and appreciated

Thanks

Franky.

Amos
03-11-2007, 10:16 AM
About the only thing you can do with it is delete it. Maybe VALVe knows how to read them but they have never taken any from the field afaik.

jonass1
03-13-2007, 03:32 AM
When Half-Life 2 crashes it dumps a mdmp file. This file is like the black box recorder, it contains the last few moments before the program crashed.

To view them you need Visual Studio and the .pdb (Program Debug Database) files for server.dll and client.dll if i'm not mistaken...

Leopard__
03-13-2007, 04:26 AM
servers create a dumpfile too, when they crash.