PDA

View Full Version : Why the lag? Is it the router?

Effer16
03-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey all.

Here's the deal, I used to run a 16 player, dedicated CS server, and play on it from the same machine. I even boosted the server to 512 FPS, and had no lag problems with a full server, me included. This was about a year and a half ago.

This was when Steam allowed routers to use DMZ. Since then, I've purchased a new router (so my wife can use wireless), so I picked up the DGL-4300 wireless gaming router from d-link. Well, I tried hosting a server again, and it seems my server begins to spike around 8 players now.

I see no reason for this, considering my computer is the exact same as it used to be (well actually, I have 1GB more RAM than I used to), so I am assuming it's the router.

I already know the "game fuel" mode for this router is crap, so I've turned it off, but I'm not sure what else could be causing the spikes. Any ideas would be awesome - thank you!

RedFox
03-26-2007, 10:51 AM
I have the same problem as you with the DGL-4300. Before I bought the 4300, I had the DI-604 and got a ping of 2-3 on my lan. Well, the 604 couldn't handle the packets, so I upgraded to the 4300, and my ping increased to 6-7. Do you think we need to present this to D-Link?

Effer16
03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't think D-Link would do anything about it, if we brought this to their attention. I am 100% positive it is the router though.

I disconnected the router, and tried hosting a server that way, and managed to get 16 clients (including myself) on dust2, with no lag, and pings no higher than 70.

For reasons beyond my control (such as expired warranty and whatnot) I can't get rid of my DGL-4300, so I need to find some way to tweak it to accept normal amounts of data.

RedFox
03-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, if anybody can find anything, please tell me. Thanks

paulius
03-26-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't think that this is something that could be easily fixed. From what I have read, it seems that your router is onderpowered in terms of computing resources to handle the huge ammount of packets that it needs to handle to keep your gameserver running smoothly.

Make sure that your router is running the latest firmware version.

Othwerwise, this might be a bug in the firmware. In that case, you have nothing to do but to wait for D-Link to release a firmware upgrade.

Personally, I've never trusted these cheap "home" routers. Even at home, I run a Linux box with a DHCP server and a pppoe connector to ensure that my network is up and running.

RedFox
03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Well when I paid nearly 100 bucks for it, i thought that it should handle the data perfectly.... i might try pass through proxy out of my server into my router box. I don't know yet.

Effer16
03-27-2007, 10:59 PM
I payed 179.99 CAD for mine :S
I would expect nothing but top perfomance from mine as well.

Amos
03-28-2007, 07:05 AM
Effer16, How many maps are in the mapcycle.txt file?

Effer16
03-28-2007, 10:36 PM
There are 6 maps in the cycle, all of which are standard maps.

And no, it isn't my computer, considering I can host the full 16, myself included, with no lag when the router is disconnected.

I know the obvious answer would be, just disconnect the router, but I need it for it's wireless, and I can't take it back because the warranty on it has expired..So I guess Im stuck

paulius
03-29-2007, 04:19 AM
I know the obvious answer would be, just disconnect the router, but I need it for it's wireless, and I can't take it back because the warranty on it has expired..So I guess Im stuck

If you still have your old router with you, you could use your old router as the main device, and then disable DHCP on your secondary (new) router. Then, you would have two routers on one subnet and you could still have your wireless.

Or even better, you could connect to your old router using a DHCP WAN connection.

dustbunny
03-29-2007, 05:35 AM
I use a Linksys Home router the WRT54G and it provides me with awesome performance.

doombrother
03-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I have been reading these forums for quite some time now and all I ever hear is how D link has all sorts of issues. LINKSYS is the answer people. They are between 50 and 70 bucks great performance. The price is worth the elimination of the headaches,

RedFox
03-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Well, I've started talking to Dlink about the issue. Hopefully this will be solved.

Effer16
03-30-2007, 10:28 AM
So you're telling me I should connect my modem to my old router, disable DHCP on the old router, connect the old router to my comp, and also connect my old router to my wireless router?

I understand the concept, but couldn't that cause a significant performance drop?

dustbunny
03-30-2007, 11:56 AM
You could just sell your routers on ebay and then get yourself a Linksys WRT54G.

RedFox
04-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Ok, I am going to try previous versions of firmware tonight to see if it is that. I might turn on the non-dmz for the computer to see if it is the firewall.

RedFox
04-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Ok, I am going to try previous versions of firmware tonight to see if it is that. I might turn on the non-dmz for the computer to see if it is the firewall.

RedFox
04-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Just wanted to give y'all an update. The new firmware v1.8 for the dgl-4300 actually fixes alot of issues with my connection. I also set the fps_max down from 101 to make the packets flow easier. Everything seems to run ok now. Thanks all.