PDA

View Full Version : What is the max people I can run on this server.

fikes
04-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Ok so a few days ago I was looking to start running my own server and was going to use this real pos I had lying around. To my luck the same day I was out skateboarding and found this dell in the trash.

Dell 2400
Intel Celeron 2.6ghz
512mb, which I put another 512 in so there is now a gig
40gig w-d ata h-d
300w psu which I put in since there was only 150w one previously in there.

Its a pretty good find since I wasent sure what was wrong with it until I took it home and well nothing was wrong with it. So I loaded up a copy of windows server 2003 that I had. Suck in the 512 like I said and later on put the 300w psu in there which really does not do much for just running a server but I wanted to be safe. My internet is comcast cable, i think its 8mb up, 735k down or something like that. I have been trying to run a dod:s server and have only had about 5 people in max but I was just wondering what you think It would be able to handle. Its set at 16 right now. I have tweaked the crap of it from a whole bunch of post from other people and it seems to be running a little smoother.

noobkillerdemon
04-11-2007, 08:08 AM
All I can say is run a search of the forum titled "Max players". There is a thread that gives you the calculations for all that.

Cloud_909
04-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh yeah! Another comcast user! :cool:

You can probably hold around 16 people with comcast if you setup your server as efficent as possible like mine. I can handle over 18 but my computer specs are much higher than yours.

paulius
04-12-2007, 04:14 AM
Right. Most residential connections can handle up to 16 players. Why don't you just run your server and find it out.

As a small note, it's 8mbit down and 735up. Not the other way around.

Cloud_909
04-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Right. Most residential connections can handle up to 16 players. Why don't you just run your server and find it out.

As a small note, it's 8mbit down and 735up. Not the other way around.

I thought it was 10mbit. I ran several different bandwidth tests...