PDA

View Full Version : Error: displacement found on a(n) func_detail entity - not supported

edbeeching
05-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Different user, different map, different problem. The map i have been making has compiled fine for ages, but since i have started to load in some prop_physics, the map doesn't seem to be loading them into the map after the compile process. It seems to want to run an earlier version of the map with none of the new props in. I don't even have this earlier version of the map saved anymore so i don't know where it is loading from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk\ bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\counter-strike source\cstrike" "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk_ content\cstrike\mapsrc\cs_madrid_road"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Aug 4 2006)
1 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials
Loading C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk_ content\cstrike\mapsrc\cs_madrid_road.vmf
material "" not found
Material not found!:
Can't find surfaceprop stone for material DE_TIDES/TIDES_FLOOR_STONE_1, using default
Error: displacement found on a(n) func_detail entity - not supported

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk\ bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\counter-strike source\cstrike" "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk_ content\cstrike\mapsrc\cs_madrid_road"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (May 22 2006)
1 threads
reading c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk_ content\cstrike\mapsrc\cs_madrid_road.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk_ content\cstrike\mapsrc\cs_madrid_road.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk\ bin\vrad.exe"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (May 22 2006)
----- Radiosity Simulator ----
1 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[1 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk_ content\cstrike\mapsrc\cs_madrid_road.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk_ content\cstrike\mapsrc\cs_madrid_road.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\pyro_voodoo\sourcesdk_ content\cstrike\mapsrc\cs_madrid_road.bsp" "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\counter-strike source\cstrike\maps\cs_madrid_road.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\counter-strike source\hl2.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\pyro_voodoo\counter-strike source\cstrike" +map "cs_madrid_road"

foyleman
05-21-2007, 06:18 PM
That error you found is the source of the problem. The map isn't finishing the compile process and therefore, you are actually playing older versions of the map.

It seems that the texture you have selected has a bump map attached that is not compatible with entities in general.

The answer is that you need to apply a different texture to that brush. If you don't want to do that, then you need to modify the material file and name it as a new texture. Then you can remove any deformation characteristics and still use this texture.

vecima
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
check out the topic of this thread... find all your func_details and make sure there is no displacement in them.

i've never heard of bump maps causing a map to not compile.
nor a brush having the 'wrong texture'

foyleman
05-21-2007, 06:51 PM
'wrong texture' would be inaccurate. But a material with missing references might. Take the night sky skybox texture. This texture can only be applied to certain walls because it doesn't contain image references for all six sides of the box. Try to apply this texture and your map will either not compile, or it will compile with errors and crash the game when run.
At least this has happened to me during testing.

As for bump mapping... I haven't heard of that stopping the compile process either. But it is a form of displacement (or the illusion of displacement. thinking of quake 4 and you have both the illusion and the actual displacement with materials).

edbeeching
05-21-2007, 06:58 PM
so in lame man's terms how would i go about finding where this entity is then which is not working correctly?

foyleman
05-21-2007, 07:09 PM
In hammer with your map open, select Map > Entity Report

For each func_detail, select it by double clicking it. This will take you right to the entity and you can inspect it. If you know what the texture looks like, it will be easier to spot. Your looking for a brush with displacement properties such as divisions.

You can either delete and rebuild the brush, you can Destroy the displacement from within the texture displacement window, or you can convert the entity back to a world brush.

Angry Beaver
05-21-2007, 07:15 PM
In hammer with your map open, select Map > Entity Report

For each func_detail, select it by double clicking it. This will take you right to the entity and you can inspect it. If you know what the texture looks like, it will be easier to spot. Your looking for a brush with displacement properties such as divisions.

You can either delete and rebuild the brush, you can Destroy the displacement from within the texture displacement window, or you can convert the entity back to a world brush.

foyles right but he missed the quickest way to get it done. Hide EVERYTHING using the Auto visgroups, then only make displacements visible.

Now go to the entity report and make sure its only showing visible objects.

Thats your lsit of problems right there, double click on them and fix it no sorting required.

foyleman
05-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Hide EVERYTHING using the Auto visgroups, then only make displacements visible.

Now go to the entity report and make sure its only showing visible objects.Oh. Nice move.

edbeeching
05-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Brilliant, works fine now thankyou for the help. It was merely some uneven terrain i had created that was not interacting with its surroundings properly. Would never have spotted it without the help. Cheers