PDA

View Full Version : max size of MOTD file

dura_mater
05-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Im expecting an official answer to this question. What is the max size for message of the day txt file? And is it relative to some CVAR's?

If it's too big then some of the clients get "reliable channel overflowed" error and get dumped from server.

Amos
05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Im expecting an official answer to this question.

Really? Well, then you need to ask your question here (http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/home.php). This is a peer help forum. No one is paid here.

CG1
05-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Good luck with your official answer.

Here is my unofficial one; there is no hard coded limit for a maximum, and there is no CVAR even closely relating to it. The threshold where users get kicked with "reliable channel overflowed" varies from map to map, and server to server. I read somewhere that using more plugins increases the chance of it happening...but you don't care about what we say.

WuTang
05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Love ur answer amos!

dura_mater
05-23-2007, 11:09 PM
lol ok sorry i'll correct myself - i ment normal answer like CG1 posted (unnormal post made by Amos - just spam) not answer from VALVE. i know that they dont give a s##t about these kind of things (or anything).

anyway CG1 thanks

Amos
05-24-2007, 06:22 PM
(unnormal post made by Amos - just spam)
What do you mean SPAM? Did you click on the link I posted for you. It leads to instructions for submitting a question to STEAM. I am really tore up over your calling me "unnormal". We really work hard around here for no pay. JK

CG1
05-25-2007, 09:14 AM
I am really tore up over your calling me "unnormal"Go cry in a corner, Emos :D JK

But seriously dura, listen to Amos. He knows his stuff, and helps out a lot of people here.

paulius
05-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Im expecting an official answer to this question. What is the max size for message of the day txt file?
1KB

If it's too big then some of the clients get "reliable channel overflowed" error and get dumped from server.
No. If it's too big, it will just cut off the MOTD after 1KB.