PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on RIP Trilogy

JeffM4
06-08-2007, 06:19 AM
Please use this thread to let us know how you feel about the Trilogy and what you would recommend for future RIP games.

Thanks!

Vera Lynn
06-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Good support always goes a long way. When I first saw this I thought it was just another indie game that was dropped off on Steam and would never see an update in its life. But then I heard you were developing a level editor and see now that you actually care for this. Kudos. The games are great, but the lack of internet support may leave alot of people biting the bullet as they play the game wishing "man this would rock online".

kikinchaz
06-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Good support always goes a long way. When I first saw this I thought it was just another indie game that was dropped off on Steam and would never see an update in its life. But then I heard you were developing a level editor and see now that you actually care for this. Kudos. The games are great, but the lack of internet support may leave alot of people biting the bullet as they play the game wishing "man this would rock online".

Vera has said my thoughts exactly. Decent online support would go a long long way. I certainly think with the level editor and an online support patch would cause a mass increase in sales. I also think alot of people have done exactly what Vera originally thought - ignored it thinking its "just another indie game".

Many people dont care to look more into what the game actually is and have likely not tried out the demo. I say this because the forums seem dead in both elephant game's site and the steam forums, which makes me wonder would the level editor alone increase the community? I sure hope it would as seeing user created content for this game would be a massive selling point.

Vera Lynn
06-08-2007, 08:39 AM
I also think alot of people have done exactly what Vera originally thought - ignored it thinking its "just another indie game".

Hey, now, don't get me wrong here. I love the indie games on Steam. It's one of the reasons I love steam actually. But most of them are just dropped off and never touched again by the developers. I was just pointing out that it's good that Elephant is actually taking interest in making it better, is all.

kikinchaz
06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey, now, don't get me wrong here. I love the indie games on Steam. It's one of the reasons I love steam actually. But most of them are just dropped off and never touched again by the developers. I was just pointing out that it's good that Elephant is actually taking interest in making it better, is all.

Oh yeah certainly mate I love indie games too and is one of the reasons i love steam. I think its great indie dev's are getting more attention. Theres some real classics on there.

Wik is an example of one that seemed to have just been dropped in there.

Intelligence
08-22-2007, 07:50 AM
The game needs online multi-player coop in my opinion. Would make the game so much more fun to play with a friend or two fighting by your side.

TeamR
11-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Saw this game in passing. Decided to check out the trailer and was pleasantly surprised. It looks great, also loved the music in the trailer. Very throwback.

I haven't played it yet but I do plan on buying it soon

PurSpyk!!
11-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Hi, it is worth it, espacially now since they finally released an update for the game that resolved a few minor issues.

Annihilator
03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I was kinda interested in this game but after seeing no responses back from who i think is the developer or someone involved with the game in this thread you can forget it..

frostcircus
03-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I finished RIP 1 yesterday; now I'm on RIP 2, but I've bumped the difficulty up to hard to make it last longer.

Fun games. The first gets a bit old before it's over (which doesn't take long), but as soon as player movement is added to the mix (RIP 2, Level 1), things get much more interesting.

Definitely worth anybody's $10.

...but only if you already own (or can't run) Painkiller. With Painkiller also available for $10, I'd feel bad recommending this without recommending that first.

Looking at screenshots, you'd probably think it's absurd to compare the two, but they have similar gameplay and appeal, and Painkiller is a lot better.

Oh, and if you didn't like Painkiller, you probably won't like this.

edit: Right, well in a staggeringly display of poor design, it seems that one RIP 2 level is flat-out impossible on hard mode. It's schtick seems to be whittling your health down and giving you a repair power-up at the last second. Unfortunately, on hard mode you lose health a lot faster, so the last second is far too late. So bugger this.

gamer_x
03-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I too think that this game should have an online cooperative mode, up to 6 players, like the LAN type.

FiloMJ
05-12-2008, 03:21 AM
Bought it yesterday.

The demo was Great and I love this type of games.

Very good. ;)

I would recommend Online play for future RIP games.

Tipperton
05-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for that!

I bought PainKiller when it was released. Played a few levels and got bored with it being pretty much the same thing over and over and over.

So I quit playing it and sold it on eBay.

Won't bother with this game.

Helpmezombie
08-29-2008, 09:42 PM
OMG i just bought this and tryed playing rip3 but it wont work on vista and on the elephant games fouums it says its the only rip game that works on vista so now im utterly confused

djZM
12-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Fun series. Well-worth the $5 that it's been recently dropped to.

Finished RIP. Fun little game, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Up to level 41 or 42 in RIP 2. Added movement is a nice change of pace. A little disappointed in some stages that seem to rely strictly on big-time "cheap difficulty" (stage 11, I think--Just you and the turret, and a crapload of tanks--is a good example), making survival near-impossible no matter your skill level.

RIP 3 is a bigger upgrade. Up to about level 10 right now. It's nice that you can store three weapons. Unfortunately no one seems to play the multiplayer mode.

Necronaught
03-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Looking at screenshots, you'd probably think it's absurd to compare the two, but they have similar gameplay and appeal, and Painkiller is a lot better.

Judging by the screenshots, to me at least, the game looks alot like a hybrid of Xevious and Ikari Warriors.

Firefun
07-05-2009, 01:36 PM
If bought meridian4 complete pack. And already played through all 3 RIP games in Normal mode.

Thoughts:
RIP1: fun gameplay, good balance, rather short
RIP2: addition of movement and vehicles is nice, lvl53 is frustrating :p
RIP3: addition of Story is nice, additon of 3 extra chars is nice, very unbalanced weapons, unbalanced bonuses in levels

General thoughts:
RPG elements on chars is very nice. Varied levels is nice.

Suggestions:
- The playing field is to small, make the char smaller and the playing field bigger.
- Further enhance the RPG elements, they add a lot of extra value.
- Further enhance story elements.
- Put focus on more stuff in the game, besides killing enemies
- Make a First-Person 3D version of RIP :cool:

radio_babylon
07-06-2009, 03:33 PM
OMG i just bought this and tryed playing rip3 but it wont work on vista and on the elephant games fouums it says its the only rip game that works on vista so now im utterly confused

same here, rip3 CTD before the menu is shown. irritating.

Rsunset327
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
I like it. It reminds me a little of SmashTV from when I was a kid. Except you can't walk around. :D

Juanxz
12-28-2009, 01:43 PM
This game is sooo fun. I used to play the demo before but that's no fun. Thanks steam for having it in your store.

scorchll7
05-16-2010, 11:23 AM
The game is fun and kinda good for its price (I got it for $1 during the holiday sales) but the game needs better graphics, online play, more difficulty settings, more weapons, more resolutions, and more enemy/boss types. I think this was a fun game but maybe add these things in for Rip 4 or in a update.
BTW: The games works great in Windows 7 and Vista

Tigerhawk71
05-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Great music, amusing characters. Playing RIP1 on hard can be a real ♥♥♥, insofar as that for some stages, even one missed shot at the wrong time can completely bone your chances of surviving a stage. Difference between challenge and frustration is a matter of how many times i restart the stage within the first 3 seconds versus how many times i try to pass the stage in a single sitting.

Played a bit of RIP2. More of the same level of awesome present from 1. Movement is nice. Seems the first instance of a turret is a total waste on hard, you're better off just staying on foot. Hope that will not continue but fear it will.

Haven't touched 3 yet. Want to finish at least 1 first.

LentoMan
07-03-2011, 02:56 AM
Bought the Meridian 4 pack and just finished playing through first RIP, pretty nice but it would have been nice to be able to move around, which I suspect has been added to the later games which I'm also going to enjoy at some point. :eek:

Last level of RIP was a bit ridiculous compared to the rest of the levels, took me a good 10 retries and I almost rage quitted but eventually got lucky with the power ups/bonuses.

Another annoying thing was that 4 or 5 times I clicked return to menu instead of restart immediately after dying, maybe add a delay of a second before begin able to click restart/return. Perhaps this is fixed in the later games as well, I will just have to see... :)

Music could have been more interesting, add ability to play songs from your own music collection perhaps?

Other than that, good job! ;)

Will report back after I play 2 and 3.