PDA

View Full Version : New Source SDK Available

Mike Durand
06-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi All-

We've released beta updates to the 'Source SDK' and 'Source SDK Base' that address several of the defects entered in Bugzilla. Here is a link that explains how to get the beta and has the full release notes: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_SDK_Release_Notes

And here is a quick summary of the enhancements and fixes. Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Mike.

=== SDK Content ===
* Added new Maya 7.0 SMD exporter
* ParticleDefault Material and Texture Are Now Included in the SDK
* Added Source for Antlion Guard to SDK Content As An Example of A Quadruped
* Added 'HL Modelviewer' and 'phonemeextractor' Source Code to SDK Distribution

=== Source SDK Base ===
* Developer Console Now Bound to F12 As Well As '~' Key - Addresses Console Issues for non-QWERTY Keyboards
* 'envballs.mdl' Now Included In Source SDK Base
* Added Missing Sprite Materials That Caused Gravity Gun to Look Strange in Multi-player Mods
* Added Response Files to Fix the "NPCs Don't Talk" Problem

=== SDK Launcher ===
* Mod Creation Wizard Now Places Mod Name In the 'gameinfo.txt'
* Owners of HL2MP But Not HL2 Can Now Create Multi-player Mods

=== SDK Code ===
* 'New Game' and 'Load Game' Now Show Up as Options in Single-player Mods
* Replaced Semi-colons in Server Project Files with Commas to Fix Linux Compilation Issue
* Fixed 'memoverride.cpp' Build Failure Under Linux

=== Faceposer ===
* Faceposer Help Menu Now Links to Correct Location on http://developer.valvesoftware.com

Marine
06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Is the new chat system / filters (In CS:S and other source games), in the code now? Or do we have to wait 2 years to get that? :)

lodle
06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Mike that is great news but could you also include the css bot as the one included with hl2 is poor and doesnt even use the nav mesh (not that nav_generate works any way)

FrostbiteX
06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
* ParticleDefault Material and Texture Are Now Included in the SDK

I'm a bit cluesless on that part...that for the episode 2 particle system coming soon or something x.x?

Also I was wondering if you could add the zombie source files, and Alyx's source (Episode 1 for the new facial system)

The current decompilers can't decompile the episodic new flexes properly...

--Edit--
also a max importer/exporter would be nice...
(even though we have cannon fodders..)

--Edit2--
Oh btw thanks for the new update, love the ant guard's source files. Now I can finally replace it ^^

--Edit3--
You didn't include "particle/BillowNormalMap", and "particle/SmokeStackFallback" Which are both stated in sdk_particle.vmt.

Nicadeamas
06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
ohh boy, the work never ends..

Thanks for the updates mike. Great job. :cool:

witalldonebefor
06-12-2007, 09:57 PM
How can you tell if it's running?

blacksmith123
06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Any updates for hammer at all?

siodmak
06-13-2007, 07:50 AM
umm... STICKIT?

Sierra Oscar
06-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Cheers for the info Mike.

umm... STICKIT?:cool:

MillerPowered
06-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Great news!

STRATCOM
06-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Hello all, in the update on the wiki it says that you can run Source SDK just owning HL2 DM and not HL2. However, with the line added to the shortcut, the option to install Source SDK is still not visible. Anyone know how to activate it?

Mike Durand
06-18-2007, 09:54 AM
It's a bit tricky, but if you own HL2MP as part of the ATI promotion then you won't have access to the Source SDK. If you purchased HL2MP alone or as part of the multi-player pack then you should have the option available.

The bug I fixed in the SDK Launcher had been preventing people from creating MP mod in the Mod Wizard when they owned HL2MP but not HL2.

Nicadeamas
06-18-2007, 06:58 PM
So is your job kinda just to sit around finding errors and fixing them?

witalldonebefor
06-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, I guess the beta went good without any bugs. But when is hammer going to be fixed?

Otto-Grainer
06-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Excellent. Good news.

TychoCelchuuu
06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I added all the Maya 7.0 exporter files to the correct folders, but when I try to enable the plugin in Maya I get the following error message:

// Error: Unable to dynamically load : E:/Maya7.0/bin/plug-ins/vstSmdIO.mll
The specified module could not be found.
//
// Error: The operation completed successfully.
//
(vstSmdIO) //

The plugin is definitely in that folder. The whole "Error: The operation completed successfully" thing isn't very helpful. Any ideas?

AlphaKennyOne
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
My SDK just updated today, and since then, whenever I open a .vmf in Hammer, a second Top View appears where the 3D view is supposed to be. It's a minor inconvienience and takes little to no effort in changing it back, but i'm curious if anyone else noticed this tiny issue.

flippednormal
06-19-2007, 02:30 PM
I get the same problem as TychoCelchuuu What is it referring to "cant load module"? it there something extra i need to install?

If i get this new exporter to work will i be able to export a .vta? as well?

STRATCOM
06-19-2007, 05:37 PM
It's a bit tricky, but if you own HL2MP as part of the ATI promotion then you won't have access to the Source SDK. If you purchased HL2MP alone or as part of the multi-player pack then you should have the option available.

The bug I fixed in the SDK Launcher had been preventing people from creating MP mod in the Mod Wizard when they owned HL2MP but not HL2.

Ah thanks Mr. Durand. Is there any particular reason for the ATI promotion people not being able to use it, or is that just how it is?

witalldonebefor
06-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Thats just the way things go.

blacksmith123
06-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Sooo... will there be any updates to hammer? Will the sphere tool be fixed?

st_nick5
06-21-2007, 02:18 AM
* Added Missing Sprite Materials That Caused Gravity Gun to Look Strange in Multi-player Mods
does this mean that i wont have to extract the gravgun materials when i create a mod? damn that bug annoyed me

Mike Durand
06-28-2007, 08:36 PM
So is your job kinda just to sit around finding errors and fixing them?

No. Sometimes I stand up for a little while. :)

I work on a variety of things, but fixes and updates to the SDK are my responsibility.

Mike Durand
06-28-2007, 08:37 PM
does this mean that i wont have to extract the gravgun materials when i create a mod? damn that bug annoyed me

Yes, that was one of the annoying little things fixed in this release.

Mike Durand
06-28-2007, 08:47 PM
I added all the Maya 7.0 exporter files to the correct folders, but when I try to enable the plugin in Maya I get the following error message:

// Error: Unable to dynamically load : E:/Maya7.0/bin/plug-ins/vstSmdIO.mll
The specified module could not be found.
//
//
(vstSmdIO) //

The plugin is definitely in that folder. The whole "Error: The operation completed successfully" thing isn't very helpful. Any ideas?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

Here are the instructions for using the new Maya 7.0 plugin:

1. Edit the sourcesdk\maya\7.0\runmaya.bat and make sure that
the path setting to maya.exe is correct. The default is C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya7.0\bin.
2. Run C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\ \sourcesdk\maya\7.0\runmaya.bat
3. When Maya comes up go to Window|Settings/Preferences|Plug-in Manager...
4. Look for vstSmdl0.mll and check the "loaded" and "auto load" boxes.
5. When you go to export you should see the new choices:
Valve SMD Model
Valve SMD Animated Model
Valve SMD Physics Model
Valve SMD Animation

Please let me know if following these steps works for you. I had meant to include them in the release notes for the SDK and forgot.

TychoCelchuuu
06-29-2007, 05:39 AM
I don't have a runmaya.bat in my sourcesdk\maya\7.0 folder. There's not one in the 4.5 folder either.

Xebozone
06-29-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't have a runmaya.bat file either!
It's not included in the files with the new SDK.

Will the plugin be compatible with maya 8.0 and maya 8.5 just like the maya 4.5 plugin is?
Since maya 8.5 is the latest version, it would be very annoying for users with 8.5 to not be able to export their creations.

Please include FULL instructions for the installation of the plugin.

I hope this plugin will be much easier to use then the previous one, which was extremely confusing. There isn't enough time dedicated to maya users as there should be.

There should be better tools and more tutorials. The only thing I have been able to do is export props with prall's tools, and each time is a pain.

I would also like to see some more integration such as a GUI QC builder (where QC coding isn't needed) within maya and possibly stand-alone.

It would be nice for Valve to go through the developers.valvesoftware website to update and contribute to the actual tutorials, etc.

The maya tutorials on the page are scarce and have not helped at all.

Xebozone
06-29-2007, 10:18 PM
After doing some research, I have discovered that Valve did not set up the module correctly.

Here is what you need to do:

browse to your maya user MODULE directory:

If it does not exist, create it

on Windows: <user’s directory>/My Documents/maya/<version number>/modules

on MAC OS X: $MAYA_APP_DIR/maya/<version number>/modules

on Linux: /usr/aw/modules/maya/<version number>

on my system, <version number> is 8.0 . Yours may be 7.0

create a file with no extention and open in notepad or the respective program. Call it vstSmdIO (note that there is no extention on the end. There is no .txt or anything like that) You may do this by creating a .txt file (on windows) and then re-naming it.

Insert the following:

//
// Edit this file for your o/s by removing the slashes (//)
// from in front of the line for your o/s
//
// the basic format is:
// + vstSmdIO "vstSmdIO version" "absolute path to vstSmdIO directory"

// sample windows path
// + vstSmdIO 7.0 <steam installation directory>\SteamApps\<your username>\sourcesdk\maya\7.0\modules\vstSmdIO

Obviously, you would uncomment (remove the //) and insert your correct path.

Now, open maya, go to Window -> settings/preferences -> Plug-in manager

find vstSmdIO.mll and check "loaded" and "auto load"

This is how it SHOULD be installed into maya. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work...

If you want, you can copy the module directory from the steam folder to your maya folder and substitute the correct path into the "vstSmdIO" file.

TychoCelchuuu
06-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Haha wow, nice job man. It doesn't work but it shows up in the plug-in manager which is pretty good :D I had to make a modules folder which was fun I guess. Thanks for your help but I think we're both stuck until Valve remembers this thread's here.

flippednormal
07-03-2007, 03:52 AM
sigh... Xebozone, i don't know how you got that info. was worth a try
but the bottom line is that the plugin still doesn't work i guess now we just have to wait till some one can figure out what is written in that .bat file.

Xebozone
07-03-2007, 03:54 AM
I didn't 'get' that info. I knew it. I use Maya and I wrote all that myself after looking at the structure of other modules I have installed.

I sent a PM to Mike Durand but he hasn't replied.

flippednormal
07-03-2007, 04:24 AM
I guess we will have to wait for a reply from Mike.

I found a few more people on the "Source Art and Sound" forums having the same problems as us. I will tell them to have a look here.

enablerbr
07-03-2007, 06:13 PM
well least there are a few more with the maya problem. i also don't have a runmaya.bat file in my sourcesdk folder.

Xebozone
07-04-2007, 07:58 AM
I wonder what he's doing? Surely he expected a reply?

Superpiccolo
07-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Is this really that bad though? Pralls exporter works fine.

Pinstripe
07-07-2007, 03:08 AM
Is this really that bad though? Pralls exporter works fine.
Maybe, but I still expect that the exporters that Valve officially provide are working.

Xebozone
07-07-2007, 09:51 PM
This is what I hate about Valve - their support is terrible!

Mike Durand
07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
sigh... Xebozone, i don't know how you got that info. was worth a try
but the bottom line is that the plugin still doesn't work i guess now we just have to wait till some one can figure out what is written in that .bat file.

Damn. Sorry about this. I've fallen behind on monitoring this board for the last couple of weeks. I'm trying to catch up.

Here is the contents of the runmaya.bat file that is supposed to be included. I will make sure that it gets added and will be in the next SDK release.

set PATH=%SOURCESDK%\bin;"C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya7.0\bin\";%PATH%
set MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH=%SOURCESDK%\maya\7.0\modules\vstS mdIO\scripts
set XBMLANGPATH=%SOURCESDK%\maya\7.0\modules\vstSmdIO\ icons
set MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH=%SOURCESDK%\maya\7.0\modules\vst SmdIO\plug-ins

maya

Xebozone
07-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Mike...problem:

1. this will not run on maya 8! Please provide support for maya 8 and up
2. changing the value of "MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH" has broken some of my other plugins. There must be a better way to install/use this thing! Now I need to re-install my other plugins!

EDIT: actually, this is temporary due to the nature of the batch file (it doesn't change the environment variables, so as soon as you restart maya normally, the change is gone) so maybe it's ok...

Other than that...it should be fine for maya 7 users!

Please continue the support for Maya, and maybe add some articles in the valve developer wiki for us maya users.

enablerbr
07-09-2007, 01:08 PM
thanks for the contents of the bat file. all is well now. :)

though for the Police ragdoll.smd gives an error of not being able to read by Maya. the Police model was 1 smd i decompiled at random.

Xebozone
07-09-2007, 07:11 PM
This may help you:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Modifying_a_Source_Model_in_Maya

enablerbr
07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
thanks Xebozone. oh this new plugin doesn't need the mouth texture when importing. so thats me happy for the time being.

hope they can do another version for the v8+ of Maya.

Mike Durand
07-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Mike...problem:

1. this will not run on maya 8! Please provide support for maya 8 and up
2. changing the value of "MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH" has broken some of my other plugins. There must be a better way to install/use this thing! Now I need to re-install my other plugins!

EDIT: actually, this is temporary due to the nature of the batch file (it doesn't change the environment variables, so as soon as you restart maya normally, the change is gone) so maybe it's ok...

Other than that...it should be fine for maya 7 users!

Please continue the support for Maya, and maybe add some articles in the valve developer wiki for us maya users.

You can probably get your other plugins to behave if you change the .bat file to this:

set PATH=%SOURCESDK%\bin;"C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya7.0\bin\";%PATH%
set MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH=%SOURCESDK%\maya\7.0\modules\vstS mdIO\scripts;%MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH%
set XBMLANGPATH=%SOURCESDK%\maya\7.0\modules\vstSmdIO\ icons;%XBMLANGPATH%
set MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH=%SOURCESDK%\maya\7.0\modules\vst SmdIO\plug-ins;%MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH%

I'll change the .bat file we ship to do this.

Sorry that the plug-in doesn't work for you under Maya 8. We don't use it yet so we don't make a plug-in for it.

Pinstripe
07-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Now I've installed Maya 7 and exactly followed your steps. When executing the .bat, Maya starts and I find the plugin in the Plugin-Manager. But it still can't be checked! I've Maya 7.01 installed, maybe that's why?

Edit:

Oh yes, here's the error log:

// Error: Unable to dynamically load : g:/steam/steamapps/***/sourcesdk/maya/7.0/modules/vstSmdIO/plug-ins/vstSmdIO.mll
Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
//
// Error: Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet.
//
// Error: Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet.
(vstSmdIO) //

PWNstar
07-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Added Source for Antlion Guard to SDK Content As An Example of A Quadruped
what is this im realativly new to sdk i can just barly make a room and some boxes so?

PWNstar
07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
also is this stuff still a beta or has it been intagrated into sdk?

blacksmith123
07-11-2007, 03:19 AM
for now, you have to add a special command line thing to run the beta (look at the first page) but once episode 2, portal, and tf2 come out it will just be updated and integrated.

Mike Durand
07-11-2007, 01:19 PM
also is this stuff still a beta or has it been intagrated into sdk?

The current non-beta version of the SDK has all of this. The thread was started when it was a beta.

Mike Durand
07-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Now I've installed Maya 7 and exactly followed your steps. When executing the .bat, Maya starts and I find the plugin in the Plugin-Manager. But it still can't be checked! I've Maya 7.01 installed, maybe that's why?

Edit:

Oh yes, here's the error log:

My German isn't so good. Could you please translate that log?

Pinstripe
07-11-2007, 01:36 PM
My German isn't so good. Could you please translate that log?
It says:

"The module wasn't found."

"// Error: The process has been successfully ended (quit?).

Well I don't understand that. I've done everything you proposed, changed the .bat to the proper directories and then executed it. Maya starts, I go into the Plugin-Manager and there it is (the most above). But it can't be checked/enabled.

R19
07-15-2007, 07:47 AM
im need help.. i dont know how to install Source SDK Beta..

please Help me:(

Somhairle
07-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi Mike,

I've tried using the bat file and changed the 7.0 to the locations of 8.5, no luck though.

ie:
set PATH=%SOURCESDK%\bin;"E:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya8.5\bin\";%PATH%

any solutions to this?

thanks

Mike Durand
07-16-2007, 03:40 PM
im need help.. i dont know how to install Source SDK Beta..

please Help me:(

This thread began with the SDK in beta but it has since been released. I have changed the name of the thread in order to avoid confusion over this.

Mike Durand
07-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi Mike,

I've tried using the bat file and changed the 7.0 to the locations of 8.5, no luck though.

ie:
set PATH=%SOURCESDK%\bin;"E:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya8.5\bin\";%PATH%

any solutions to this?

thanks

We aren't using v8.0 or v8.5 of Maya here at Valve so we don't have a plug-in that works with them. This plug-in is for Maya v7.0 - sorry!

Somhairle
07-16-2007, 03:49 PM
thanks for the update Mike. at least now i know my options. (lol)

Manson
07-23-2007, 08:58 PM
'Mod Creation Wizard Now Places Mod Name In the 'gameinfo.txt'

Probably something EVERYONE has been wanting for sometime.

LCompote
07-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Has anybody tried Prall's plug-in or Valve's 4.5 under Maya 8.0 or 8.5? Do they work correctly?

enablerbr
07-30-2007, 12:55 AM
is there a reason why importing a smd model from HL2 or the Male SDK content doesn't import the skeleton with it using the Maya 7 importer?

Dorohn
07-31-2007, 03:42 PM
I think i am having the same problem.

I imported an Alyx decompiled .smd in Maya 7.0

The reference .smd loaded but the model is not one mesh, instead it's lots of pieces, i have to manually combine all of them together to one single mesh.

I tried to import animation .SMDs but then maya just say Error : Error reading file.

Here's the detailed message :

// Result: ./untitled //
pv_performAction "F:/hl2 modding files_eg_models/AlyxTest.smd" "Valve SMD Animation";
file -import -type "Valve SMD Animation" -namespace "AlyxTest" -pr "F:/hl2 modding files_eg_models/AlyxTest.smd";
vstSmdIO -import -importType animation -filename "F:/hl2 modding files_eg_models/AlyxTest.smd";
// No *.c files in current directory!
// Cannot import animation without the root of the skeleton is selected or specified
// Error: Error reading file. //
pv_performAction "F:/hl2 modding files_eg_models/extracting/alyx_animation/FlipLeft.smd" "Best Guess";
file -import -type "Valve SMD Model" -namespace "FlipLeft" -pr "F:/hl2 modding files_eg_models/extracting/alyx_animation/FlipLeft.smd";
vstSmdIO -import -filename "F:/hl2 modding files_eg_models/extracting/alyx_animation/FlipLeft.smd";
// No data created from smd import
// Error: Error reading file. //

Spider-Baby
08-01-2007, 06:31 AM
any hammer fixes at all!?!?

Dwin
08-03-2007, 12:15 PM
This thread began with the SDK in beta but it has since been released. I have changed the name of the thread in order to avoid confusion over this.

When was it released? Is the SDK automatically updated? Because I'm still getting the "NPCs dont talk" problem.

royaljared
08-08-2007, 06:42 PM
What about vconfig.exe? Is that fixed yet? Because it's the main reason why I won't work SSDK. I plan to mod, but I need it tok work in case something goes wrong. :(

ProZak
08-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Still not working. Using VConfig.exe isn't really necessary. Opening your GameInfo.txt in your %sourcesdk%\bin directory and edit that. Create a copy of it, and make the original Read Only :)

royaljared
08-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Still not working. Using VConfig.exe isn't really necessary. Opening your GameInfo.txt in your %sourcesdk%\bin directory and edit that. Create a copy of it, and make the original Read Only :)

Vconfig.exe is completely necessary. I need it because Steam likes to erase Mods out of the SourceSDK list a lot. And without vconfig, I have to go through a 45 minute process to put them back in here. The fact Valve hasn't fixed vconfig.exe was the last straw for me. I want to mod, but they're too damn lazy to do anything about it. So I hate them, and don't plan on using their products again.

ProZak
08-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Vconfig.exe is completely necessary. I need it because Steam likes to erase Mods out of the SourceSDK list a lot. And without vconfig, I have to go through a 45 minute process to put them back in here. The fact Valve hasn't fixed vconfig.exe was the last straw for me. I want to mod, but they're too damn lazy to do anything about it. So I hate them, and don't plan on using their products again.

Instead of ?????ing like a mad man, perhaps you should contact Mike Durand (mailto:mdurand@valvesoftware.com), the man incharge of the Source SDK.:rolleyes:

royaljared
08-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Instead of ?????ing like a mad man, perhaps you should contact Mike Durand (mailto:mdurand@valvesoftware.com), the man incharge of the Source SDK.:rolleyes:

I've been doing that since August of 2006 (when SSDK took a pooper). My requests go unanswered, as well as many others. Valve should have these problems fixed by the time EP2 is released, or I'll loose my frickin' mind! :mad:

ProZak
08-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Editing your GameConfig.txt (said gameinfo.txt in previous post, this is wrong!) isn't really hard, always take a copy of it and make the original write protected/read only.

royaljared
08-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Editing your GameConfig.txt (said gameinfo.txt in previous post, this is wrong!) isn't really hard, always take a copy of it and make the original write protected/read only.

You're missing the point. I payed money for Valve's products. I bought DoD:S, and the original. I bought HL1. I bought HL2, and Episode 1. I payed good money for their products. I expect to have my needs satisfied. And one of those needs is having Vconfig fixed.

ProZak
08-08-2007, 11:42 PM
You're missing the point. I payed money for Valve's products. I bought DoD:S, and the original. I bought HL1. I bought HL2, and Episode 1. I payed good money for their products. I expect to have my needs satisfied. And one of those needs is having Vconfig fixed.

Figured this would be your next reply. Let me just say, how much did you actually pay for the Source SDK? Thought so.

royaljared
08-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Figured this would be your next reply. Let me just say, how much did you actually pay for the Source SDK? Thought so.

$55.

Anyway. Again, I gave them money. They used that to develop their products, and update their already-released ones. It costs money to make SSDK. Guess whose money is going to develop their games? Our money! Guess whose money is going to fix their products? Our money! Guess whose money went into SSDK? Our money! Guess whose money is going into fixing SSDK? Our money!

You think the money going into fixing SSDK and Vconfig is coming out of there pockets? Hell no! Since I payed them money to help them make stuff I like, I want them to make stuff I like. And Vconfig is one of that stuff. I gave money, it should be taken care. Vconfig is a simple program, it should've been fixed ASAP! I don't see anything new happening to Vconfig, so therefore I've been ripped off. In a morale-based tongue, there's a simple word for this: "theft."

Formologic23
08-09-2007, 07:28 AM
$55.

Anyway. Again, I gave them money. They used that to develop their products, and update their already-released ones. It costs money to make SSDK. Guess whose money is going to develop their games? Our money! Guess whose money is going to fix their products? Our money! Guess whose money went into SSDK? Our money! Guess whose money is going into fixing SSDK? Our money!

You think the money going into fixing SSDK and Vconfig is coming out of there pockets? Hell no! Since I payed them money to help them make stuff I like, I want them to make stuff I like. And Vconfig is one of that stuff. I gave money, it should be taken care. Vconfig is a simple program, it should've been fixed ASAP! I don't see anything new happening to Vconfig, so therefore I've been ripped off. In a morale-based tongue, there's a simple word for this: "theft."And who says that they are required to let people use their code? Because they have made it available means that you are given every right to use it and complain like a little girl? Be thankful that Valve to a certain degree supports the modding community, by allowing us to make maps and create mods with THEIR technology. How about you drop the SDK, since you claim that you are done with it anyways, and go code your own engine with your own SDK. Then you can't complain, and you can develop it as you see fit. But......I find this scenario very unlikely to happen.

You did not pay $55 for the SDK. You payed $55 for HL2 or whatever game you payed for. Not the SDK. They aren't even required to let you use it. Keep shooting yourself in the foot. No wonder they don't reply to you. Your emails must look just like your ridiculous posts.

"Theft"

ROFL.

ProZak
08-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Perhaps you, royaljared should compare the Source SDK to e.g. the SDK of STALKER, FEAR, QUAKE4 or almost any other game ever released (except HL1 ;)).

Just be thankful that Valve allows you to use their tools which sure isn't cheap!

royaljared
08-09-2007, 03:12 PM
And who says that they are required to let people use their code? Because they have made it available means that you are given every right to use it and complain like a little girl? Be thankful that Valve to a certain degree supports the modding community, by allowing us to make maps and create mods with THEIR technology. How about you drop the SDK, since you claim that you are done with it anyways, and go code your own engine with your own SDK. Then you can't complain, and you can develop it as you see fit. But......I find this scenario very unlikely to happen.

You did not pay $55 for the SDK. You payed $55 for HL2 or whatever game you payed for. Not the SDK. They aren't even required to let you use it. Keep shooting yourself in the foot. No wonder they don't reply to you. Your emails must look just like your ridiculous posts.

"Theft"

ROFL.

To your logic: Fission Mailed.

Our money went into development of SSDK, and their other products. Therefore, we did pay for SSDK. Simple economics.

ProZak
08-09-2007, 04:05 PM
You obviously don't know anything about the Source engine and its history. Go read up on that, and come back. Even if your money actually went to the Source SDK, it wouldn't change the fact that you never paid directly for the SDK.

Also read the EULA.

royaljared
08-09-2007, 04:17 PM
You obviously don't know anything about the Source engine and its history. Go read up on that, and come back. Even if your money actually went to the Source SDK, it wouldn't change the fact that you never paid directly for the SDK.

Also read the EULA.

It does not justify Valve's laziness to fix a simple executable. I never paid for it directly, correct. But I gave them money (as well as others) to help them pay for the means to make SSDK. We traded money for their products. They have to show that they're using our money well. They're not, SSDK and Vconfig are examples of that. If they're not using our money to fix the products we're paying for, it's a theft. A con. A rip off.

ProZak
08-09-2007, 04:24 PM
VConfig is hardly a utility you pay for, either way. VConfig is just a little tool Valve gave us to administer games available to the Source SDK launcher. Doing what VConfig does, isn't impossible to do on your own, as stated in several of my previous posts.

My suggestion is, get over it and be glad that Valve gives you such a great SDK as they do. Be glad isn't Hammer that's not working.

royaljared
08-09-2007, 04:34 PM
VConfig is hardly a utility you pay for, either way. VConfig is just a little tool Valve gave us to administer games available to the Source SDK launcher. Doing what VConfig does, isn't impossible to do on your own, as stated in several of my previous posts.

Again, you're missing the point. Vconfig is a little program, yes. It's a simple program. It should have been taken care of last year when SSDK went down the toilet. Vconfig is a 500KB executable, the fact that they didn't bother to get to it ASAP is inexcusable.

Spider-Baby
08-09-2007, 06:40 PM
gaaaaaawd! hammer. sphere.

Zyndrome
08-21-2007, 08:59 PM
After a lot of tinkering, finally got it working with 7.0