PDA

View Full Version : Moving Title Screen elements

GM_Kombucha
06-12-2007, 10:52 AM
We're looking to have the elements of the Title Screen menu (Friends, Options...) appear in a horizontal line, not the vertical list form they default to. Is this possible? I noticed the "xpos" and "ypos" options available in HudLayout.res, but these don't appear in GameMenu.res, so I'm stuck. The only placement I can figure out how to change is the main title, which has an entry in ClientScheme.org, but again there's no place to put position of menu elements as far as I can see.
Any ideas? Thanks!

I should add that I know barely anything about C++ programming, if that's the solution. If it is, I'm willing to take a stab at it, but I'll need some guidance.

steveo3861
06-12-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm sure you could create a vgui panel over the Title Screen. Then use that panel to contain custom buttons, splash ect. Other than that it is not possible due to GameMenu.res storing the values in "slots" on the menu... eg
"1"
{
"label" "#GameUI_GameMenu_ResumeGame"
"command" "ResumeGame"
"OnlyInGame" "1"
}

GM_Kombucha
06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
And the only way to create a VGUI panel is with C++? Is there perhaps a user-created tool to aid me?
Thanks!

Marine
06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-B will open the VGUI Builder Editor. Thats only once you have created the vgui panel class in c++.

GM_Kombucha
06-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Well that may sound simple to you... but I did see some guides on the Valve wiki or perhaps some other tutorial site, I'll check it out. Thanks :)

lodle
06-12-2007, 07:09 PM
look c++ is needed for modding. you might as well stop now if you are going to avoid it because you will get stuck later on.

GM_Kombucha
06-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Well for what we are doing, it is not yet necessary outside of this little side project.
You can check us out at http://www.robotbigfoot.com . But I do agree that to make a good mod you'll need programming - that's just not really what we're doing.

Marine
06-13-2007, 12:19 AM
C++ is not hard to learn the basics of, and is quite fun to learn when playing with Source... 2 months ago i didnt know the slightest bit of C++, now i can put my own class together, spawn stuff from inside weapons, make my own VGUI windows (Hint: Copy the team menu one for an in game menu).

GM_Kombucha
06-13-2007, 09:23 AM
I browsed through the VGUI documentation and it is well above me, not something I can learn at present. It made some sense in concept what was going on, but that's about it. If anyone is willing to help us just whip together this one small project, that'd be wonderful.