PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up the hammer compile process?

Omega_K2
06-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Well actually it seem compiling some maps with hammer seems to take forever. I am just wondering wheather something changed in the past months because the new version of my map compiles already (actually i am compiling in the background, lol) 4 and a halfhour just for VVIS o.O It took in the beta 4 ~22 minuntes to compile on "normal".

I know that using a newer computer would speed it up or using another program to compile it, but I am afraid the map get's errors or lags if I use a 3rd party programm. Also I exited some programs in the background which are not necessary.

I can't beleive that some changes increase the compiling time that massivly... that's wierd...
Using the "fast" options the whole compile process just takes 8mins.

Anyway someone has ideas to speed the compile process up? :confused:

blacksmith123
06-20-2007, 06:55 PM
I used to have this problem a lot (until I got a flippin kickass computer), but I took a look at this tutorial on optimization (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Optimization_%28level_design%29) and it helped a lot. Try making any non-critical geometry (brushes that don't seal your level) func_details and such, and use the nodraw texture on anything and everything you can't see.

Omega_K2
06-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Well, optimised it a lot already; used end Fade dists for props, used func_details, used on 80% of the surfaces nodraw. It should compile maybe a lit faster because most of the End Fade Dists are new in this version and I also added some more nodraw textues (I forgot to use nodraw on some surfaces).

It's really wierd. There are just some new parts of the map and props, but it is still compiling (87,5% vvis was the last viewed). Its wierd that some minor changes increase the compiling time by ~25 times to 8 hours or more. In Addition I set up my windows new few days ago and it should be faster too >.<

I still have to do are areaportals and hints, I planned that for the following version.

In the meantime I stopped my Securty software and all IMs.. I am just running STEAM, Hammer , Azuerus and Firefox (obviously).

Anyway now vRAD is compiling... I hope it wont take 25 times of the time as vvis -.-

Edit: Here are the compiling times:
vbsp 33 seconds elapsed
vvis 8 hours, 11 minutes, 44 seconds elapsed
vrad 13 minutes, 10 seconds elapsed

blacksmith123
06-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Actually, here's a tip - while it's compiling press ctrl+alt+delete and click the processes tab, then find hammer, right-click it and set the priority to time-critical, to concentrate your processor power.

Omega_K2
06-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Actually, here's a tip - while it's compiling press ctrl+alt+delete and click the processes tab, then find hammer, right-click it and set the priority to time-critical, to concentrate your processor power.

Did that too >.<
(When I was not doing anything else because it even takes 1 minute to open the taskmanager...)

vecima
06-21-2007, 05:34 AM
setting end fade distances for props shouldn't speed up compiling, rather it should just make the map perform better in-game.

8 hours of VVIS is a horrendous amount of time for a map that VRAD only takes 13 minutes to finish. VRAD is a MUCH MUCH slower process than VVIS.

please describe your map
-how many lights are there? (your vvis time is really low)
-highlight all of the outermost brushes. hammer will show them within a dashed line (when you have multiple brushes selected). when you have your outermost brushes selected, how big is that square from the top down view, and how tall is it from the side view?

also if you could, please post your compile log (you can click the copy to clipboard button when it's done compiling, and press [ctrl]+v in the text window when you reply). i have a sneaking suspicion there's a leak somewhere.

Paper-Cut
06-22-2007, 08:55 AM
You need to turn up your lightmap scale. Select all, shift+a, set the lightmap scale to about 32 or 64

vecima
06-23-2007, 07:00 PM
You need to turn up your lightmap scale. Select all, shift+a, set the lightmap scale to about 32 or 64

why do you say that? this problem seems to be related to VVIS, not VRAD.

marnamai
06-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Use the cst compiler, its upto 40% faster then the default compiler.
LINK:
- download: http://downloads.ammahls.com/cst/ (use 11 or 12)
- install info: http://ammahls.com/cst/setting_up_cst.htm

haymaker
06-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Use the cst compiler, its upto 40% faster then the default compiler.
LINK:
- download: http://downloads.ammahls.com/cst/ (use 11 or 12)
- install info: http://ammahls.com/cst/setting_up_cst.htm

These are fine for testing, but are known to crash with prop_statics, plus I've found valve's RAD to give better lighting.

One thing I think may help you is to have all intersections finished cleanly, ie mitred corners and nodrawed blind faces, my theory is that it will take less time for the tools to figure that stuff out if it's already done. Somebody will disagree with me I'm sure, but vvis always is under 20 seconds.

Omega_K2
06-24-2007, 11:38 PM
These are fine for testing, but are known to crash with prop_statics, plus I've found valve's RAD to give better lighting.

Bugs; that's obviously the reason why I won't use any third-party compilers, even when they are faster. When I want to test my map I run it on fast and that will take about 7 mins to finish.

Well if I am right, that belongs to the VRAD process and not to the VVIS. In Addition the overall looking of lights is getting worser than I expect Oo

vecima, first of all, thanks. I checked the logs of this and the previous version and noticed there was a new compile Bug/ERROR/Warning (/whatever):
WARNING: Clusterportals saw into Cluster

I ignored it first because there was no visible problems when compiling on fast. Anyway I googled for that error and found in a Forum somewhere that I have to use hint to remove this bug and it cause the EXTREMLY long VVIS compiling process. Altough I planned placing HINTS and maybe Areaportals when everything else is finished I have to do it now. I hope that was the reason for the long compiling; if the compile process is that long again on "normal" you can be sure that I will post here again ^^

Thanks anyway for trying to help me (@ everyone posting here)

vecima
06-25-2007, 06:17 AM
i've gotten that error on and off during the development of one of my larger maps. I'ts never caused me longer compile times, but maybe it did for you for some reason. here's hoping it's resolved. ;)

haymaker
06-25-2007, 07:14 AM
WARNING: Clusterportals saw into Cluster

Ive had this too, but I don't remember what happened to fix it :P
One thing with mine, the coordinates were off the grid, luckily it disappeared somehow. Let us know what you can do with these errors if you find a trick!

Omega_K2
06-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Well here is the compile log and more info as vecima requested:
http://nopaste.info/5df455f42a.html

4480 width
4128 length
2336 hight

Map Information:

Solids: 1759
Faces: 10576
PointEntities: 1579
SolidEntieties: 229