PDA

View Full Version : cubemap problems

perrapaap
06-24-2007, 03:29 PM
hi everyone!

I am having some troubles with the cubemaps i am placing in my maps. instead of reflecting the environments in the room it reflects the sky outside. what am i doing wrong? i tried using "give weapon_cubemap" but the "weapon" doesn't show on my screen. so if you know what to do, please write to me on this thread :)

blacksmith123
06-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, once you've placed the cubemaps and compiled your maps, you have to load the map and type in "buildcubemaps" in the console. Right now it's using the default cubemap for your sky texture because you haven't built them yet. And yes, you have to do this every time you compile, I just have the "buildcubemaps" command bound to my 8 key.

haymaker
06-24-2007, 09:40 PM
be aware that you must exit that map and restart it after buildcubemaps, to see the results :)

Also I've found it better to have the game running at less-than-full graphics settings; when i turn everything on high and build, I get all kinds of graphic anomalies

vecima
06-25-2007, 07:00 AM
what haymaker said is true, but depends on your system.

my system blows the hl2 reccomended settings out of the water, and i build cubemaps fine at highest settings. anyway, be sure your resolution is at least 1024X768 when building them. also, for me, when i build cubemaps, the game restarts itself with the cubemaps applied, though apparently this doesn't happen for everyone.

on another note, you need to 'buildcubemaps' after every time you compile lighting. if you finish your lighting and are happy with it, you can compile with VBSP set to 'only entities', VVIS set to 'no' and VRAD set to 'no'. however if you move, create, or delete ANY brushes or prop_static(s), you need to recompile VVIS and VRAD.

perrapaap
06-25-2007, 11:22 AM
thanks guys :)