PDA

View Full Version : Downfall of using high res textures?

David_Krutsko
07-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey,

I was wondering if anybody could explain to me what would happen if for example u were to use 1024 textures for most assets in game...

would it just take up space or will it take down alot of the system performence during the game...

does the same go for bump maps?

thanks,

YourFace
07-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Um, yeah. I think it goes both ways. I think if your playing a game for graphics, then you should go play Madden.

David_Krutsko
07-04-2007, 06:28 PM
lol Madden.... what about Crysis... its like farcry, but the next generation version of it...

YourFace
07-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I can't say any thing about something I have not played. But Crysis looks like a pretty cool game. But I have not played it, so yeah. If it plays like a good game then, it's a good game, with good graphics.

David_Krutsko
07-04-2007, 08:34 PM
i dun know if its a good game anyways, but i was just talking graphics wise... u really cant beat that...

P.S. if i loved Dark Messiah then im pretty much gunna love every other game....

vecima
07-05-2007, 03:46 PM
fakefactory's cinematic mod used high res textures for many of the game's assets. google it.

David_Krutsko
07-06-2007, 01:25 AM
oh i know about fakefactory, i just wanted to know what effects it has on the game....

vecima
07-06-2007, 07:03 AM
according to fakefactory, you shouldn't try to play his mod with less than 1.5Gb of RAM. so, the effect it has on the game is this: the textures require more storage space on the HDD (filesizes are larger) and require more ram to load them into. if your scenes are small and don't require too many different textures you could keep it smooth with standard HL2 requirements. if you want large detailed scenes, the RAM requirement (for good performance) goes up.

enablerbr
07-07-2007, 11:07 AM
a good GPU will help with larger textures. yet on systems with not much GPU power and GPU ram. they'll take a hit in performance without 1.5GB+ computer memory.

PuddingWagon
07-13-2007, 07:00 AM
It takes up extra ram (you are storing more pixels to memory basically) in both the graphics card and system ram. So this will a) reduce available memory for other things (ai, physics etc), b) may cause hitching/stutter since your computer is now using the hard drive to store some of the stuff it would normally put in ram (if you need more memory than you have) and c) will cause a further lag since more pixels have to be shaded by the engine (not sure on this point though).

vecima
07-13-2007, 12:12 PM
in theory, with enough cpu power, enough gpu power and enough super fast ram, you could load any number of textures of unlimited size.

i'm not extremely sure about this, but i think at some point it may go beyond what the engine was designed to handle, OR the textures may go beyond the eye's ability to percieve them as being any clearer. i think doubling the texture resolution of HL2 standard textures looks great, and it works fine if you have a high end system. it doesn't look perfectly real, but it gets pretty close

David_Krutsko
07-13-2007, 03:22 PM
yeah awsome, i just wanted to know cause im planning on making a mod for half life 2 (well been trying to for a while but never got any good ideas in mind) and doing what the guys at oblivion did.... take pics outside, photoshop them and stick em in game as 1024 - 2048 pics....

looks very nice but again people would need a high end system to play it lolz...

skidu
07-14-2007, 08:50 AM
we made a small level for uni in source and used 1024 textures for everything lol, diffuse/normal/spec and it ran absolutely fine on a pentium d 2.8ghz , 1gb and a 7900gt.

Tower6
10-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I have a hdr skybox made with 1024x1024 and its 192 megabytes in size compared with the same hdr skybox made with 512x512 and its 18 megabytes in size.

David_Krutsko
10-28-2007, 01:33 PM
we made a small level for uni in source and used 1024 textures for everything lol, diffuse/normal/spec and it ran absolutely fine on a pentium d 2.8ghz , 1gb and a 7900gt.

I have a hdr skybox made with 1024x1024 and its 192 megabytes in size compared with the same hdr skybox made with 512x512 and its 18 megabytes in size.

Is there any way i could check these two things out (the level and skybox)?
im just interested to play it and check it out?