PDA

View Full Version : Mapping problems

Chaos303
07-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Iv been makeing some physics tests maps with half-life 2 (who hasnt ;) ) But theres 2 problems.

1. The map always appears full-bright, Iv checked for leaks and things of that sort but no matter how little lights I put in it is always full-bright. I even tried it on a box map with one little weak light and, you guessed it, it was full bright. :mad:

2. Prop_physics fall through displacements as if they were not there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Angry Beaver
07-08-2007, 02:40 PM
1- are you compiling RAD, RAD stands for radiosity which is the method used to creating lighting effects in game. If you are we'll need to see the compile log.

2- There been some updates to displacements to allow for some more effects. If your compiling maps for games that havent got these updates (HL2 for exmaple) you need to add -novirtualmesh to the compile properties.

Chaos303
07-08-2007, 02:57 PM
1- are you compiling RAD, RAD stands for radiosity which is the method used to creating lighting effects in game. If you are we'll need to see the compile log.

2- There been some updates to displacements to allow for some more effects. If your compiling maps for games that havent got these updates (HL2 for exmaple) you need to add -novirtualmesh to the compile properties.

1. I just tried compiling again and all of the sudden the lights worked again. :confused:

2. Thank you, this has been bugging me for some time now. :D

King of Moose
07-28-2007, 04:31 AM
2. It's seems strange, but in HL2DM, the physics props wont fall through displacements, but they will in HL2... just throwing that nugget of info out there

zyklus
07-28-2007, 10:46 AM
1- are you compiling RAD, RAD stands for radiosity which is the method used to creating lighting effects in game.

When testing your map without lighting, the engine will automatically set mat_fullbright 1. When you change to a map with lighting (such as, your map with compiled lights) make sure you mat_fullbright 0. Otherwise, you might spend a few seconds saying "wtf where are my lights".

Angry Beaver
07-28-2007, 08:03 PM
2. It's seems strange, but in HL2DM, the physics props wont fall through displacements, but they will in HL2... just throwing that nugget of info out there

Thats because of an upgrade to the technology that HL2 didn't recive but DM did, simply just add -novirtual mesh to your compile options for HL2 and it'll fix it.

When testing your map without lighting, the engine will automatically set mat_fullbright 1. When you change to a map with lighting (such as, your map with compiled lights) make sure you mat_fullbright 0. Otherwise, you might spend a few seconds saying "wtf where are my lights".

Yep, I omitted that fact but *shrg* i guess it didn't seem important at the time.

zyklus
07-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Yep, I omitted that fact but *shrg* i guess it didn't seem important at the time.

Well... Some people, such as my little bro., will close out of the source engine after testing his map, and re-opening it after compiling. I leave source engine running and use changelevel to update my compiled map. So, I have to worry about it, and my little bro. doesn't. :P