PDA

View Full Version : How do i create an instant player death zone/trigger?

enablerbr
07-10-2007, 04:44 AM
i 'm trying to create the impression of height in my map. as such i need to setup an area in which if the player falls into it. they will be instantly killed. i.e. falling off the roof of a skyscraper. where the skycraper is made mostly of a 3D skybox.

this will mean i won't need to set the real model roof high enough to kill the player if they fall off it.

so how would i go about doing this?

blacksmith123
07-10-2007, 05:02 AM
yeah, set up an entity called env_fade, and have a trigger_once all around your tower (where the player would fall) then, set the trigger to activate the env_fade whenever it's triggered. I think you can set an output for the trigger that targets "!player" and has an output of "kill", so the player will die once the screen fades to black. if not, I'm pretty sure there's a brush entity called trigger_hurt, so just have it start inactive and set the damage to something like 10,000 and set the trigger_once to enable it once the screen fades to black.

Latrosicarius
07-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Make a brush on the floor where u want them to die when the touch it.
Texture all sides with tools/toolstrigger.
Tie the brush to trigger_hurt.
Set damage property to like 1000.

enablerbr
07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
1st thanks to both for replying with info.

i had to go with the trigger_hurt method as that worked. i did try Kill but it did nothing, at least not for a SP game. though i do still like the idea of fade on the fall death.

spunkyster21
07-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Use both,

I do something similar and it's just about timings. Use the env_fade to start fading when the player drops down, then when he hits the trigger_hut he'll die.

All you need to do is get the timings correct and it will work really well :)

enablerbr
07-11-2007, 04:55 PM
spunkyster21 see the thing with fade is there is no infinite timer on it. so if the player doesn't reload the game. it'll just clear the fade. i really want to die , fade and then force a reload. yet i haven't figured out how to do it.

spunkyster21
07-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't think I understand what you want. Because you fall, fade begins to kick in, you die, fade clears, you reload.

But you want the fade to never clear?

enablerbr
07-11-2007, 05:02 PM
reason so that the illussion of not hitting the ground of the sky skrapper isn't broken.

zyklus
07-11-2007, 09:37 PM
If you really wanted a realistic effect, I would make the trigger that triggers the fade also teleport you (after the fade kicks in) into a giant tube skinny enough for the player to fit yet long enough to simulate the height of the building. That way, if the player decides not to quickload, he/she will eventually hit the ground. If the tube isn't long enough, use another trigger_teleport and a logic_relay to teleport the player back to the top of the tube several times.

enablerbr
07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
zyklus now that sounds like a good idea. :)