PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Binds and Useful Tweaks for HLDM:Source

qUiCkSiLvEr
07-15-2007, 01:05 AM
I've sent this information out to many players recently so It would be good to have it available here as well.

Developer's Console "the console"
-------------------------------
To enable the developer's console, run HLDM:Source, then at the splash screen (also called "options screen"):

Options > keyboard > advanced button, then check "Developer console ~"

Then in game, just hit "~" also known as "tilde" to bring the console up.

NOTE: Some European Keyboards may not bind to ~ properly, in this case you'll have to bind it manually, either by directly editing your ...hl1mp/cfg/config.cfg (use wordpad not notepad!) and adding:

bind "F11" "showconsole"

(... or whatever key you prefer)

NOTE: If you've installed my updated options menus from this thread:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576735
you can also easily invoke the developer's console by clicking on the
"Half-Life Source DeathMatch!" title bar.

Weapon binds for HLDM:Source:
-------------------------------
You can bind individual weapons to keys, here is the format and a list
(change x to your usual weapon select buttons):

bind x "use weapon_xxxxxx (see below)"

weapon_crowbar
weapon_tripmine
weapon_glock
weapon_357
weapon_mp5
weapon_shotgun
weapon_rpg
weapon_gauss
weapon_crossbow
weapon_egon
weapon_tripmine
weapon_satchel
weapon_handgrenade
weapon_snark
weapon_hornetgun

Custom Crosshairs for HLDM:Source
----------------------------------
You can have custom crosshairs for your weapons, here is one that I made that you can install:
pic: http://qsextreme.com/hl1mp/crosshairs.jpg

(Here is what the default crosshairs look like:
http://qsextreme.com/hl1mp/crosshairs_default.jpg)

files: http://qsextreme.com/hl1mp/hl1mp_materials_Sprites_crosshairs.zip

Install these three files in (typically):

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<steam account>\half-life deathmatch source\hl1mp\materials\Sprites

If you have steam installed somewhere else, adjust the path accordingly.

You can also customize these or go to http://www.bullseyecrosshairs.com/hlsites.shtm and look at any of the HLDM crosshairs there.

UPDATE: Here are a few crosshairs from Bullseye that I converted and tested, some may not be as bright or large as you prefer so try a few and see what works best for you:

http://QSextreme.com/hl1mp/crosshairs/HLDMS_Crosshairs.htm

Later in this thread I'll post how to convert these sprites over to work in HLDM:Source.

NOTE: HLDM:Source uses a totally different crosshair format from HL2DM.

Crosshair Zoom Sensitivity:
--------------------------
I found that the mouse was way too sensitive with the crossbow zoomed, this setting made it work much better:

zoom_sensitivity_ratio .3

enter this in your console to test and adjust it.

The best place to put this setting is to create with notepad (typically):

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<steam account>\half-life deathmatch source\hl1mp\cfg\autoexec.cfg

and cut and paste the cvar and setting into there.

NOTE: the 21Mar2008 Update made this setting (0.3) the default, you don't need to change this now unless you want some other value!

Repeating Sound Problem
------------------------
Occasionally you'll get a repeating sound loop while playing, often the RPG but doors, gluon and a variety of other sounds can loop as well.

To fix this, in console enter:
snd_restart

I usually bind a key for this:
bind "f12" "snd_restart"

Again, you can put that in autoexec.cfg so it will always be set.

Fast Team Model Selection
--------------------------
Now that I have a real team server working, I found that you must change your model at least once while in-game or the model won't take.

To facilitate this, you can install these two binds:

bind "F1" "cl_playermodel models/hgrunt.mdl"
bind "F2" "cl_playermodel models/robo.mdl"

then when you enter a team server, just hit the button for the team you want to join.

If you are usually on one team or the other, you can enter this in console:

cl_team "hgrunt"
or
cl_team "robo"

and that should select your preference automatically.

There are still things broken in the team server functionality though so I'll continue to work on it.

Spectator Player Selection and Name Fix
---------------------------------------
While spectating on an HLDM:Source server, normally you hit mouse1(+attack) or mouse3(+attack2) to select a player. You should automatically see the player's name in the bottom bar as well as his health.

Unfortunately this doesn't work at the moment so I made an alternate set of button binds that will switch players and force an update to the name.

Put these into (typically):
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<steam account>\half-life deathmatch source\hl1mp\cfg\spec.cfg

-------------------- snip --------------------
alias +sp "spec_next;spec_scoreboard 1"
alias -sp "spec_scoreboard 0"
bind [ +sp

alias +sp2 "spec_prev;spec_scoreboard 1"
alias -sp2 "spec_scoreboard 0"
bind ] +sp2
-------------------- snip --------------------

Then when you are spectating, just hit "[" to see the next player or "]" to see the previous player. Holding either button down will also show you the scoreboard.

Be sure to add "exec spec.cfg" into your .../hl1mp/cfg/autoexec.cfg file

If you have an unusual or interesting (non abusive!) bind or config or crosshair that you would like to share, you are welcome to post it here for folks to see and review.

NOTE!: Please remember not to inadvertly post any steam account names or passwords or other things like that!

NOTE!: Things that should NOT be posted in this thread are involved scripts for things like bunny hopping and complex weapon select / auto fire scripts, I will remove all posts that have these things in them.

Game Sharpness and LCD Monitors
---------------------------------
If you own an LCD monitor, then there is a very important thing you need to know if you are to get the clearest image while playing. This also affects how sharp your custom crosshairs look.

LCD monitors are made with a physical number of pixel elements also known as the "Native" resolution of the LCD.

If you use ANY video setting that is other then this "Native" setting, what you see will not be as sharp as it should be.

For example, if you have a Dell 1901FP 19" monitor, the native resolution is 1280 x 1024. If you were to use 1024x768, your image will not be as sharp as if you used 1280x1024.

Of course, using higher resolutions means that you need more horsepower in your graphics card to maintain the same FPS, or you'll need to lower your AA and/or AS settings to compensate (you can also lower the DXLEVEL setting too but the game won't look as good).

LCD monitors also (usually) have an analog (blue connector) and a digital DVI (white) connector. Using the Digital connector is typically far superior / sharper to using the analog.

Player Hitbox Problem
-------------------- (copy of previous post under a different sticky)
Because the MOD is untuned, when the player is moving, the hitboxes are always moving in advance of the player's actual position.

There are no server settings that can compensate for this, Valve will have to release an update to the Client & Listenserver to adjust this.

The faster the player moves, the farther the hitbox leads the apparent position of the player. This includes jumping as well.

I've created an AVI that demonstrates this so everyone can see for themselves what this looks like.

One thing to note however is that the hitbox display for most MODs will never be right on, the server lag compensation knows about some of this and attempts to adjusts things, but HLDM:Source has never been tuned so a moving player will almost never have an accurate hitbox.

Please find the movie (AVI, zipped) here:
http://QSextreme.com/hl1mp/hitbox_20fps_compressed_75.zip

if you have problems with the AVI playing black let me know, here is a WMV version of the movie:
http://QSextreme.com/hl1mp/hitbox_20fps_compressed_75b.zip

x15agent
07-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Thanks to quick, I've set up my configs, and I thought I'd post 'em. My configs will be very odd to most people, and I do not expect anyone to use them, though you are free to try!

-------------------------- X-15 Agents Key Binds ------------------------

unbindall
bind "TAB" "+showscores"
bind "ESCAPE" "cancelselect"
bind "SPACE" "+speed"
bind "1" "use weapon_glock"
bind "2" "use weapon_crowbar"
bind "3" "use weapon_357"
bind "4" "use weapon_crossbow"
bind "5" "use weapon_snark"
bind "6" "use weapon_hornetgun"
bind "7" "use weapon_snark"
bind "`" "toggleconsole"
bind "a" "use weapon_shotgun"
bind "b" "use weapon_gauss"
bind "c" "+movedown"
bind "d" "+duck"
bind "e" "+jump"
bind "f" "+moveright"
bind "g" "+attack2"
bind "h" "+use"
bind "i" "messagemode"
bind "j" "impulse 201"
bind "m" "use weapon_handgrenade"
bind "n" "use weapon_MP5"
bind "o" "messagemode2"
bind "q" "use weapon_tripmine"
bind "r" "+jump"
bind "s" "+moveleft"
bind "t" "+reload"
bind "u" "jpeg"
bind "v" "+moveup"
bind "w" "use weapon_egon"
bind "x" "use weapon_satchel"
bind "y" "+voicerecord"
bind "z" "use weapon_RPG"
bind "CTRL" "impulse 100"
bind "SHIFT" "+speed"
bind "F5" "jpeg"
bind "F6" "save quick"
bind "F11" "quit"
bind "MOUSE2" "+forward"
bind "MOUSE5" "+back"*
bind "MOUSE3" "+back"*

------------------------- End of Transmition ------------------------------
Subject applicable to change.......

For Forward

bind "MOUSE2" "+forward"

For Back

bind "MOUSE*

*Back depends on your mouse

qUiCkSiLvEr
07-22-2007, 01:19 AM
UPDATE: Here are a few crosshairs from Bullseye that I converted and tested, some may not be as bright or large as you prefer so try a few and see what works best for you:

http://QSextreme.com/hl1mp/crosshairs/HLDMS_Crosshairs.htm

audioman612
07-28-2007, 05:12 AM
This is quite a lot of stuff so I'm going to reply to each one individualy.

I know how to use the console and I must admit I am surprised by the number of people that don't, so from those people, thanks for the info.

I've never tried weapon binding in any Steam game (or even fast weapon switch for that matter, I rely on the last weapon used key which is one of the biggest parts of my technique), but I'm sure there are players that will appreciate being able to finaly do this in HLDM:S.

I've never used custom crosshairs so I don't really have much to say there.

Ok this is deffinately a good thing if not the best thing here. I've wanted the mouse sensitivity to be much less when sniping in HLDM:S as it has made sniping in many situations a bit of a pain. I used to snipe a lot when playing original HLDM. I had some beginners luck with it and won the first game I played on gasworks, but I havn't been sniping as much because of this problem, so thank you.

I have more problems with the repeating sound problem in HL2: DM, but that command will still come in handy once in a while.

I may try the fast team selection, well see, but your clever idea is a nice time saver.

I havn't had a chance to try spectating yet so I can't say anything yet.

I have a good amount of knowledge of A/V equipment so I already knew this, but it's good of you to take the time to teach players that don't know these things this information. I must say one small thing though: using a DVI cable does make a noticible improvement in sharpness by eliminating the need to convert your video signal to an analog signal and then back to digital, from my own experience, it does not make a huge improvement. It gets rid of a bit if not all of that annoying blur, but that's it (it is impossible to have a perfectly clear picture unless on your monitor's native resolution). However, if someone has the ability to use a DVI connection, obviously they should, even if they need to invest in a DVI cable. On a side note, there is something I wouldn't mind knowing. I'm using an nVidia 6800GT at the moment and a 4:3 ratio 17" monitor as my primary display and my Sony 26" 16:9 XBR TV as my secondary display, and I can't get my card to put out both 4:3 and 16:9 resolutions at the same time. It will only put out the aspect of whichever display I have set as the primary. This means that one of the displays must pan, which is a bit annoying. If you have any ideas, I wouldn't mind hearing them. I was nearing the end of my junior year in highschool when I got my new TV and I didn't have a whole lot of time to mess with it and still, my summer schedule between my girlfriend, work, calculus homework, and other things I must do is quite busy.

X15 Agent it was nice of you to post your settings for those that want to try them.

Thanks again qUiCkSiLvEr!

x15agent
08-25-2007, 07:41 AM

http://QSextreme.com/hl1mp/crosshair...Crosshairs.htm

Just a little add on. I would suggest everyone to get some crosshairs. I use #16, but #23 has caught my eye.

I know all this stuff sounds weird, or hard to do, like where to save all these things, or how to make an autoexec file, but once you try it, it opens up new doors.

What I did to create an autoexec.cfg file was to just copy the existing config.cfg, and rename it to autoexec.cfg. You can open it with notepad. Just right click on the file, and open. Choose "Select the program from a list." Next make sure you uncheck the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." What I did was, I found a nice little text/hex editor called "NoteTab Light," and downloaded it from download.com. It's free. You can save the config.cfg, or the autoexec.cfg as an "any file" with NoteTab Light. After opening the newly named autoexec.cfg, I deleted everything except "unbind all."

Now your free to enter any of the tweeks QS has listed for us. Also, just use "Save," not save as for Notepad. Save As will turn it into a text file.

Another add on. If you really want to try my configuration, you'll need a 3 real button mouse. Trying to do it using the scroll wheel as a button is painful, at least to me. I used to use a Logitech Wingman Gaming Mouse, but good luck on finding one of those. The closest thing now is the Creative Labs Fatal1ty series mouse. Unfortunatly I wear them out in 3 months. I had to JB weld the plastic tips that connect when you press the buttons down. Works great now ;) Using my config will be tuff at first, just like with anything new, there's that learning curve. I should know, comming for old HLDM to HLDM:S was almost like learning a whole new game. Almost :)

X-15 Agent
10 - EAGLES SCREAM!

audioman612
08-25-2007, 11:24 AM
That mouse stuff is way too much stuff for me, I'm way too lazy lol. I'm using a logitech MX 1000 at the moment with an MX Revolution as a backup, not that I've ever had a problem with the 1000. As you already know, I am too lazy to try binding keys (at least for all the guns, I do have some other things I'm going to mess with like chainging zoom sensitivity ratio on the fly), but if you do have a scroll wheel, you can bind scroll up and scroll down to different things, getting you two buttons from the scroll wheel alone not counting pushing it down.

Vanguard
09-07-2007, 12:21 AM
ha......the "use" argument was added to weapons binds since regular old hldm. ok....that was frustrating to figure out.

anyone know why when i try to start a dedicated server (stand alone), im getting "cannot execute valve.rc"?

the installation instructions for it......well, there are none. lol. tons for cstroke, but none for hl1mp.

Vanguard
09-07-2007, 01:08 AM
i played my first game of this mod.

no wonder it hasnt become popular and taken off. hit registry is jacked up, i found that its a bug that doesnt look likely to ever be fixed and valve charges people for this mod? rofl.

it really is a shame you know because there's all the HLDM players who dont like HL2MP who really want to find another game, and this could have been it. It's not quite as sluggish as HL2MP but much prettier than HLDM..........valve blows it big time.

oh well, *waits patiently for UT3*

x15agent
09-07-2007, 12:17 PM
If you were to look at the hitbox video in this post, you would see where you need to aim to hit someone. It helped me a lot. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576088

look for the avi movie under "hitbox problem." I'll tell you right now, that it takes some time to get used to, but it's worth it. Very challenging, and I'm having a blast killing people with the crossbow. You just have to aim in front of them, and they run right into your bolt :)

If you look at the Counter Strike hitboxes, they move the exact same way.. In front of the person, so it's not really a problem, it's the way you have to do it in Source, which btw, I LOVE!!! Just like real life.. if someone is running away from you to the right, you wouldn't shoot him if you aimed right at him.. & just like that movie says "HOW CAN YOU SHOOT WOMEN, AND CHILDREN!!!" Next guy says "EASY!! YOU JUST DON'T LEAD 'EM SO MUCH!"

audioman612
09-07-2007, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=x15agent;6671330]if someone is running away from you to the right, you wouldn't shoot him if you aimed right at him..QUOTE]

Depends on how fast they're running, how far away you are, and partialy on what type of gun you are using as different guns fire at different velocities, though the chances of that mattering are pretty low. :-P

mama0
09-24-2007, 07:45 AM
zoom_sensitivity_ratio .3

i check this cammand and zoom get too slower :{
so i think default setting prety good than this.
zoom_sensitivity_ratio 1
this make more fast and good :}

x15agent
09-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Why don't you hop in, and play me a game then, and see how well I can use zoom_sensitivity_ratio .3? To each their own mama0.. Like I said, these are my settings, and I don't expect anyone to use them. You move like a turtle mama0, so I had to turn it down ok? LOL!!!!!!!

mama0
09-24-2007, 11:39 AM
o here is theu guy that thing he is master in hldms lol dont make me laugh
u in qs network team thats not mean u say anything to anyone u got that.
i know network is more better then the net speed.
i thought u are a good boy and i happy to speak with u now u prove that i m wrong nvm.
i dont need to show any one how i m and audioman know me how i m playing so do ur own game on qs server ok if u want to battel ok come out of other server then we see who is what lol.
nvm why u doing this bcaaz u cant play outside of server.
bcaaz u only know how to play in qs server i dont say more thing so i say that i see with this setting dont know what happand to u trying to fight with me lol.
nvm forget it that lol dmages.
and by the way only good and pro players play in many maps not in 5 or 6 maps that qs server have and good players play in orignal setting that qs dont want to use.
i m not comming here to fight with u i just come to say about zoom sensitive what ever is that and u dont know who to talk with peoples.
-=================================================
i am allways ready if u and ur qs guys want to fight with me on other server with orignal settings and with orgnal maps, and i think thats never goona happand qs never do this.
i only see here the good guys who know how to talk.
audioman,seamus,weilli,tippy,ooks,viper,qs etc
sory about that what ever i say sory qs but this guy start it first.

audioman612
09-24-2007, 08:46 PM
mama0 this has nothing to do with skill. If it did I think X-15 would win because he is the only HLDM:S player that can match up evenly or better against me that I know of. This is about personal preference. zoom_sensitivity_ratio .3 gives the crossbow a feel similar to original HLDM. At long range sniping, it is much easier with a slow mouse. I have been meaning to bind keys to the ratios 1.0 and 0.3 because I find them both to be effective in certain situations. I admit for very close range sniping I like a higher ratio, but for long range, I find it easier to use .3. Whether someone uses a zoom sensitivity ratio of 0.3 or 1.0 has nothing to do with their level of skill.

mama0
09-25-2007, 05:26 AM
then he didint know me how zoom sensitive good with me:}
nvm.
if he talk like u talking, good to chat with him but dont know what happand to him.
its depend on player what he like to play and what he like to feel easy so i only come here to say about zomsensitive not for any skilled or matched.

x15agent
09-26-2007, 07:24 AM
Umm.. Whatever.

mama0
09-26-2007, 08:00 AM
have fun on quicksilver guys :}

x15agent
10-17-2007, 03:15 AM
If you use QS's server settings, I'd be happy to jump on another server. Why would I want to play with the original settings? They are nothing like the original Half-Life weapon damages, and they stink. You'd think gamers could joke around. Guess I'm becoming more cynical as I get older, because too many gamers take things too seriously, or think someone is cheating because their better then you. Maybe I play too much, ah.. Ah well. I was just joking (şaka yapma) about the turtle thing, but I guess some people can't take a joke, or understand (kavramak) one. Bir şaka anla? Or maybe your text translator doesn't translate English well, just like mine translates Turkish horribly. I did find out that Baykus means Owl though.. Time to joke with good 'ol Baykus :P Anyone have any more tweaks or unique configs? Or is it time to lock this thread?!

audioman612
10-17-2007, 05:59 PM
I just have keys bound to zoom sensitivity ratios of .3 and 1, but other than that, I'm default all the way.

x15agent
10-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Ya.. I'm not going to bind them. I worked my way to default :) It was nice having it at .3 for a while, but back to default.

audioman612
10-18-2007, 05:39 PM
I've been using mainly default. I guess I've just gotten used to it.

mama0
10-19-2007, 06:53 AM
nvm i m not sooo good now i just working on maps and getting slow on game thats y say me a turtle walking i dont mind i think u right
when i first on that game i play fast but after starting maps gettting too slow on game.
i agree with grenades 50 damages but not agree with rpg bcaaz rpg is too high and greandes is low rpg should be 70 then i can thats good damages.
but sad guss is most dangerouse weopan we should do something about that bcaaz if some one it know how to use it u get no chance to here from there its big example in crossfire map audioman know that :}
now i am just a mapper like qs are not pro mapper just a mapper.
yea this thread should be lock bcaaz there is nothing more to say many people agree with qs damages etc.

$uCkY-p|aYeR
11-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Later in this thread I'll post how to convert these sprites over to work in HLDM:Source. [/url]

If I missed it in a reply sorry. But if you could find time and tell us it would be nice I have the old ones I want to use. I will be searching the internet for the answer but wanted to post this just in case I didn't find anything. I will be looking forward to trying out your server I like that you have the damages feel like old HLDM.

$uCkY-p|aYeR
12-31-2007, 06:10 AM
Actually I kind of figured it out. But can't seem to make the background right to be transparent. So I just decided to make my own. It is farely easy just edit the tga file then compilile it.. Once I get my crosshairs perfect I will post in case somebody likes.

x15agent
01-19-2008, 01:08 AM
These are the keys that can be bound...

Letter Keys
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

Number Keys

Mouse Buttons
MOUSE1
MOUSE2
MOUSE3
MOUSE4
AUX5
AUX6

MWHEELUP
MWHEELDOWN

Joystick Buttons
JOY1
JOY2
JOY3
JOY4
AUX5
AUX6

Special Keys
Enter
Space
Shift
Ctrl
Pause

ALT
BACKSPACE
TAB
CAPSLOCK

Function Keys
F1
F2
F3
F4
F5
F6

F7
F8
F9
F10
F11
F12

Scroll Keys
Ins
Del
Home
End
Pgdn
Pgup

Arrow Keys
Leftarrow
Rightarrow
Uparrow
Downarrow

Keypad Keys
kp_leftarrow
kp_del
kp_end
kp_downarrow
kp_pgup
kp_ins
kp_5
kp_plus
kp_uparrow
kp_enter
kp_pgdn
kp_rightarrow
kp_slash
kp_minus
kp_home

Misc Keys
/
\
;
'
[
]
-
=
~

Agent 1
01-23-2008, 10:05 AM
What was the purpose of this last post? Is this an attempt at being funny,or just someone who cant sleep at night being bored.

x15agent
01-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, if you've ever tired to bind keys, finding how to bind keys to the keypad is a huge pain. Here. I'll be funny now. Try this...

bind "kp_plus" "say I'm an idiot"

Now press the + key on the keypad when your in a game.

audioman612
01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
That's not funny, that's just being a smart ??? lol.