PDA

View Full Version : Known Issues - How to fix them.

yikomaka
07-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Remember to update your graphics card drivers to the latest version before you go to play the game! Also, make sure your DX version is up to the latest release version!

ATI Driver Database - Link (http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html)

Nvidia Driver Database - Link (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)

DirectX Download - Link (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0A9B6820-BFBB-4799-9908-D418CDEAC197&displaylang=en)

If your having trouble playing online remember that Company of Heroes uses ports;

Problem List:
1)Game will randomly crash when loading / FPS drop looks like the game is lagging.
2)(VISTA) Can't be launched, stuck at "Preparing to launch.
3)Game indicates to be 100% downloaded but in fact is not and will not load.
4)I'm getting FPS drops for no reason!
5)My mouse is flickering in-game!
6)The icons that should show in the steam browser next to the game aren't there.
7) My world builder crashes when starting.

1) PROBLEM: Game will randomly crash when loading / FPS drop looks like the game is lagging.
FIX: Go to your games list in steam and right click Company of Heroes and then click Properties and then Local Files and finally click verify integrity of game cache.

2) PROBLEM: (VISTA) Can't be launched, stuck at "Preparing to launch"
FIX: Try disabling UAC in Vista

To do this go to your Control Panel then User Accounts then select your account and click turn user account control on or off, uncheck the check box and hit ok. Now restart your computer.

3) PROBLEM: Game indicates to be 100% downloaded but in fact is not and will not load. (Thanks to Martek for reporting)
FIX: Try verifying the integrity of the cache like stated for problem #1
OR Change the language to another language and then back to your proffered language. Then steam should download the rest of the files.
4) PROBLEM: I'm getting FPS drops for no reason!
FIX: If you have Direct X10 enabled, try disabling it. To do this load up the game and go to options then change the option of "Direct 3D 10" to High or Low and this should use Direct X9.

5) PROBLEM: My mouse is flickering in-game!
FIX: Try holding down your alt key and pressing tab then click on the company of heroes button on your task bar to load it back up and see if that fixed it.

6) PROBLEM: The icons that should show in the steam browser next to the game arn't there.
FIX: Usually it can be fixed when you restart steam. If that doesn't work try verifying the integrity of the game cache. (You can find out how by reading problem #1)

7) PROBLEM: My world builder crashes when starting.
FIX: Create a folder called "DataPreview" (without quotes) inside X:\programs\steam\steamapps\common\company of heroes\
(Thanks to Martek for fix)

Martek
07-19-2007, 03:21 AM
Another little Bug: Some times the game indicates to be 100% downloaded, but in fact it is at 75%. The game will not load at this state!

Fix: Change the language shortly to another one and then back to your prefered language. Then Steam WILL load the rest of the game.

grnemo
07-19-2007, 03:27 AM
Another little Bug: Some times the game indicates to be 100% downloaded, but in fact it is at 75%. The game will not load at this state!

Fix: Change the language shortly to another one and then back to your prefered language. Then Steam WILL load the rest of the game.

Xmmm...lets...see...The folder size 3++ Giga and initially steam reports that disk size to be needed is 4 Giga ++.....Let's see changing language

(thx for the assistance, no matter what... :) )

yikomaka
07-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Alright guys, I have updated the problem list. Thanks Martek for reporting.

EDIT - Formatted main post so fixes are quoted and looks more organized.

BigD
07-19-2007, 09:45 AM
What about can't make a multi player account because you don't have a CD-Key. Valve, THQ and Relic need to find a better solution then this.

FIX: go into your registry get the key from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\THQ\Company of Heroes

Xeno1987
07-19-2007, 10:18 AM
another little problem: I can not see the game icon in steam game browser. destop icon has only a steam picture.

Sierra Oscar
07-19-2007, 10:24 AM
another little problem: I can not see the game icon in steam game browser. destop icon has only a steam picture.

But company of heroes shows up? Try verifying your game files and restarting steam.

Xeno1987
07-19-2007, 11:38 AM
still same problem.

effektd
07-25-2007, 08:29 PM
#3 Fixed mine..Steam may need to look into that.

Also going to ask for this to be stickied as it's relevant.

AlabasterSlim
07-26-2007, 07:12 AM
But company of heroes shows up? Try verifying your game files and restarting steam.

Did that. The issue still exists.

This issue extends to other games as well, such as the new Civ IV expansion and Full Spectrum Warrior, FSW Ten Hammers.

*DEAD* Malarus
07-26-2007, 07:38 AM
I am having a problem similar to #1 and the suggested fixes don't work. When I open it up, the launcher closes out and a window opens up asking to report the crash to relic, and there is no option to not report it. Once I report the bug, it leaves me at square one once again. Didn't have this problem before the patch, and can't roll back the patch. I've tried updating both DX and ATI, I've tried validating the files, defraging the files, redownloading the files, and I've tried the language switch. So far nothing has helped. And I'm running windows XP and not vista.

Xeno1987
07-28-2007, 07:03 AM
here a picture of the problem for company of heroes and titan quest+addon.

http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=steam1ov0.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=steam2ma1.jpg

And also there is no desktop icon picture for the games garrys mod ,titanquest ,company of heroes.

Stormwatcher
07-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Are there any ports I need to forward on my Router to play online?
I can connect to the server browser, but cannot connect to any games.

effektd
07-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Mine worked straight away with no forwarding.. what anti-virus/firewall combo are you using?

Company of Heroes used ports;

Source: http://www.portforward.com/

Stormwatcher
07-31-2007, 05:48 AM
Mine worked straight away with no forwarding.. what anti-virus/firewall combo are you using?

Company of Heroes used ports;

Source: http://www.portforward.com/

Thanks! I tried port-triggering them, still didn't get any online games to work. Any suggestions?

Xeno1987
07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
whats with my problem.

Sin316
07-31-2007, 05:33 PM

and what problem is THAT ? i have both games aswell, and they dont have an icon... big deal ...

sue THQ for not adding a icon to steam version ...

Martek
08-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I think we should add the hotfix for worldbuilder:

Create a folder called "DataPreview"(without quotes) inside X:\programs\steam\steamapps\common\company of heroes\

effektd
08-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Yes was going to suggest that also be added.

yikomaka
08-08-2007, 04:14 AM
Sorry forgot this topic was here and it was stickied! I will keep this updated from now on.

Thanks Martek for adding a fix.

Comrade Mirror
08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
In reply to Vista FPS drops while using Directx 10.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=150531

On relicnews there were some tips on what DirectX 10 does, why it lags, how to reduce the lag.

vsync is now enabled by default in both 9 and 10, although the -novsync command can be used to disable it. In Direct3D 10 (not d3d9) triple buffering is enabled if the -novsync or -notriplebuffer command line parameters are not used. Triple buffering will make the in game frame rate more consistent, but will use addition video memory and consume more virtual address space.

To make CoH more friendly to incorporating in benchmark suites we've adding the -perftest command line parameter (be sure to use -novsync with it!) which will save a performance report text file with average/min/max frame rates in the %user%/documents/my games/company of heroes/log files folder.

Major_TomG
10-16-2007, 01:31 AM
I had problem #2 in Vista and had turned off the UAC right after installing the OS (like any sanity loving Vista user).

I solved this problem by verifying the integrity of the game files. Seemed to work fine. LAunched CoH, it installed DX and C++ and carried on normal opperation. Hope this helps others.

MajorTomG

abakiz
12-12-2007, 10:02 AM
When i download the patch update it doesn't install, so i go to the folder its downloaded and run it manually i get this message.

A complete, valid Company of Heroes installation could not be located. Please reinstall Company of Heroes and try again.

It seems like what ever i do i can't update the game, all my friends get the same error, 6 of them on steam with CoH.

I don't have OF and am not going to get it, can somebody help please?

(All XP btw)

bentusi_Tabby1
12-30-2007, 08:57 PM
I had to use number 3 on that list, I like how I have to trick steam into getting what I want it to do.

gimboid
12-31-2007, 04:42 PM
#2 is my thorn

I had actually canceled the C++ redistributable install thinking it was something else and didn't want to mess with that again (Visual C++ and I have a history). I tried downloading the program later from MS's website but that didnt help. I am currently re-downloading the game.

I have never had this much trouble just getting a fecking game to start with steam.
Gee-Golly thanks Steam/Relic.

bentusi_Tabby1
01-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Uh, now that I have bought Opposing Fronts, the CD key is wrong. Absolutely nothing I can do about it but wait for support's automatic messages.

I don't blame Steam, I blame relic. Always blame relic.

Carter0311
01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I recently bought Company of heroes from steam

after i installed the game and launched it..it stopped for a while and came up as

"Game is currently unavailable at the time..please try again later" or something like that..can someone please help me..because i dont know what to do

also..its been doing this for 5 days now

averox
01-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Anyone help? I was able to load up CoH twice and change settings and now I crash to desktop every time I start the game. Deleted the local content and downloaded it again with the same problem. This is what it spits out in the crash informtion:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RelicCOH.exe
Application Version: 2.201.0.2
Application Timestamp: 47503a28
Fault Module Name: Debug.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.201.0.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 47351444
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 00005f5d
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 30c2
Additional Information 2: 6b53a3ef31cdffa4fef09809c0a0904e
Additional Information 3: ca18
Additional Information 4: ea185a2ef09db7bef355319d57c2a807

Using Windows Vista, C2D E6600, 8800, on an Asus P5B. I'm not sure what the hell is wrong because I was able to load it before.

young guner
01-24-2008, 12:28 AM
WTF!! i try to play and it get stuck where it asks you to PRESS ANY KEY....i want to know why its doing this

Cabbalistic
04-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Some times the little light next to my name on multiplayer that usually says "connected to Relic Online" says "Processing...." anyway to fix that. Sometime I get an NAT error too especially when "Processing...." though.

FlamingD
12-29-2008, 05:28 PM
What about COH asking for a physical disk when in offline mode, thats a bug!
Kind of defeats the objective of why most people buy through steam.

beepboopbop
02-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Who ever is maintaining this, can you please post a solution for "cannot verify media" messages when the game launches. I've been unable to play the game since I "purchased" it because the install Steam provides asks for a physical disk to be inserted. It'd be real cool if anyone knew how to solve this.

Braineh
04-02-2009, 02:26 AM
Who ever is maintaining this, can you please post a solution for "cannot verify media" messages when the game launches. I've been unable to play the game since I "purchased" it because the install Steam provides asks for a physical disk to be inserted. It'd be real cool if anyone knew how to solve this.
+1 FIX!!!!111one

jbc029
04-04-2009, 08:38 AM

No one is maintaining this, and this issue will not be fixed. The "cannot validate media" issue has been around for months, and now that's been replaced by it always requesting a disc regardless of purchase source. Relic is not going to fix or patch this for the relatively few people that are having this issue. We're just SoL.

Braineh
04-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Figured out that it's my Firewall (Comodo) that blocks CoH from the www although I get no msg about a blocked application. Give it a go and look into your firewall if u use one (disabled mine for testing and worked like a charm).

clipt
04-09-2009, 06:02 PM
how to fix the insert disk issue?

Protocal7
04-11-2009, 07:26 PM
'Fix' 2 does not work and the problem still persists.

B3nzel
04-19-2009, 12:38 AM
I can't get my worlduilder to work, I think I have version 2.5 since I have Tales of Valor installed, but it didn't work in 2.4 either. I already made the "datapreview" folder but with no succes. Does anyone here know how to fix this? My system specs are:

AMD Phenom X4 Quad-Core Processor 2.2 Ghz
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 512 MB
4GB DDR2 RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium

graeme1701
05-05-2009, 02:02 AM
Anyone able to help me out?

When I go into any copy of CoH and alt-tab out my graphic settings get changed.

How can I stop this?

graeme1701
05-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Ok let me go into more detail.

I launch the game.
Change my settings to what I want.
I play a game.
I either alt-tab out or close out of the game.
When I go back into the game my resolution is all messed up and settings have changed.

I have seen a fix on the Forums in the past but cant find it now. I have to change some settings in 'My Steam Game List!'

HELP ME!

PC SPECS:

Manufacturer: Packard Bell I-Media Xtreme.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs).

Memory: 3070MB RAM.

Hard Drive: 487 GB.

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT.

Monitor: Philips 19" Widescreen HD Monitor.

Sound Card: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio).

Speakers/Headphones: Philips Dolby Surround Sound PC400.

Keyboard: USB Root Hub.

Mouse: G5 Logitech.

Mouse Surface: Desk.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930).

Motherboard: Packard Bell BV.

Computer Case: Packard Bell ATX.

Cheapo64
06-13-2009, 09:24 AM
I am having a problem similar to #1 and the suggested fixes don't work. When I open it up, the launcher closes out and a window opens up asking to report the crash to relic, and there is no option to not report it. Once I report the bug, it leaves me at square one once again. Didn't have this problem before the patch, and can't roll back the patch. I've tried updating both DX and ATI, I've tried validating the files, defraging the files, redownloading the files, and I've tried the language switch. So far nothing has helped. And I'm running windows XP and not vista.

Hey, Malarus did you figure out the problem you were having? I'm going through it now. Can you help?

Cheapo64
06-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Ever since the patch when the game is loading up it just crashes to desktop and asks me to send a report and when I do it says it can't send it...BS

Dosmasta
06-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I tried everything in the sticky and in some posts after crashing to desktop during loading of the missions. After several tries, I sent the error report to Relic and immediately received the following message:

If you were playing a single player game Company of Heroes may have crashed due to an invalid save game. Deleting cohsav files from My Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes\Savegames may allow you to work around this issue.

Worked perfectly for me, so give it a try if nothing else worked.

Fulham1986
07-22-2009, 04:21 AM
Hi

Anyone know how to solve this issue.

The game was working fine yesterday when I bought it, but I downloaded stream downloaded the updates this morning and now all my men and buildings are invisible.

Thanks

tutt3r
08-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Installed COH and when i get to the main menu i cannot access any of the campaign saying i need the cd-key. so i find my cd-key and input it, however it responds with "You have already registered this product key with your account", but it still won't let me play.

Shrody
08-03-2009, 03:23 PM
2) did not fix my problem. the game will still not launch. the "Preparing to launch" box will come up for about 3 seconds or shorter, then close, and no game will appear. This is frustrating. The game played just fine a few hours ago.

harpo339
08-04-2009, 01:45 AM
hey i have a problem, when i bought the game it said it would take around 18 minutes to download and wasn't very big. I left it for a while and came back and it said it was updating at 0%, and it says its gonna take 9hrs to update and alot of space, even tho im downloading at 200-300 kb/s. is there a problem or is this normal

BalZdk
08-05-2009, 07:12 PM
2) did not fix my problem. the game will still not launch. the "Preparing to launch" box will come up for about 3 seconds or shorter, then close, and no game will appear. This is frustrating. The game played just fine a few hours ago.

Hvae the same problem with the game not launching. I never got it to work on Steam, even though a retail version I borrowed from a friend worked just fine. :confused:

Aloscha
08-06-2009, 02:08 AM
I have the following problem: 2)(VISTA) Can't be launched, stuck at "Preparing to launch.
So Iīve tried it to fix with solution nr. 2 and 3, bot no once fixed my problem. My complete system is up to date and Iīve shut down all my antivir software, but nothing helped.
Is there an other solution to fix this problem.

My System:
Vista Ultimate 64
Q6600 4x3GHz
GeForce 8800 GTX Ultra
Asus P5 Mainboard
8GB DDR2 @1066Hz Kingston

denisbence
08-19-2009, 09:59 AM
UDP: 6112
UDP: 30260

What is 9100? TCP or UDP?

Thanks

denisbence
08-19-2009, 10:04 AM
UDP: 6112
UDP: 30260

What is 9100? TCP or UDP?

Thanks

It is UDP, if someone has same question, I've found it on one coh site.

flo0tz
10-02-2009, 03:36 AM
Installed COH and when i get to the main menu i cannot access any of the campaign saying i need the cd-key. so i find my cd-key and input it, however it responds with "You have already registered this product key with your account", but it still won't let me play.

I have this problem too, it's very frustrating. Has anyone managed to solve it?

SuburbanFatCat
10-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I registered my Tales of Valor with my Opposing Fronts and now it says the key is already in use. So now I cant play ToV at all.

vazzaroth
10-09-2009, 10:34 PM
I changed my language to German to fix it, restarted, and now steam is stuck in the Verifying steam log-in page, but in german, and won't go through. Is there a way to change language without launching steam?

vazzaroth
10-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Finally got past the german initialization, but still wont launch. just gets to loading, then fails. Trying another uninstall and re-install. Updated drivers, no UAC, verifyed cache, installed new Re-distributable. No help.

pwnasaurus
10-17-2009, 10:03 AM
i have the same problem as #3 but i run XP... i dont know what to do

:eek:

iamduddits2
10-18-2009, 07:33 PM
#1 fix did not do any good. I just bought Opposing fronts and whenever i play its really laggy eventhough i have more than the system rquirements. Also sometimes when the game is loading it crashes and a window comes up saying runtime error. Plsss help

privatedylan
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
hey i have a issue when ever i try going onto tales of valor it keep asking for opposing fronts disk..... i already had opposing fronts installed by disk so i go onto that but i had a account already set up so i try get onto it but it keep asking for the disk so i carnt get on. company heroes states if you have internet no disk is needed but i carnt...... so my account i carnt get onto and not go online

Xilium
12-07-2009, 10:02 AM
I didnīt change anything itīs a fresh install of Coh/Coh opp

I have tried creating "DataPreview" on default directory, also commenting line "DataSource" on pipeline.ini and nothing works.

Anyone knows how to fix it ???

Here is the error:

[img=http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9205/errorbi.th.png] (http://img190.imageshack.us/i/errorbi.png/)

Teamkillme
01-03-2010, 11:49 PM
my problem is number 1(seems like its lagging), tried it and then reinstalled twice, but no dice

i know its not the framerate cause the benchmark said it ran "great", also FRAPs picked up a good framerate anyway, really want to play this without this issue:(

plz help!

SDplus
01-05-2010, 02:01 PM
I couldn't start CoH at all since I bought ToV. It was one of 4 games that simply refused to start at all. In the case of CoH I only got a bug-report thingy popping up. BF2 also refused any life at all. However, I did a system overhaul by updating MB BIOS, NorthBridge Drivers, Graphics drivers and so on as I will get my new HD5970 any day now (probably the 20th). And I must say, for CoH and BF2 it made the difference. The other two games still wont play though, but they behave as if they really won't work with 64-bit OS'es though. They work on my 32-bit machines.

Anyway, just wanted to say that looking over BIOS AND Drivers is not a bad idea. ToV seems to be a bit demanding on that...

Jamothy
01-21-2010, 05:58 PM
I'mgetting the constatly updating status on mine, and when I change the language it goes back to 70% I leave it running all night cuz I'm only on 1Meg in the morning it says 100% Ready, try to launch and it fails and says its updating, only it wont I monitor my bandwidth and its not downloading at all, So I verify and the same thing, change the language and of course that thows me back to 70% again and I have to leave it running again all night. I bought this game on December 27th or something like that and I've still not played it! Really need help here please!!

Enmoku
01-23-2010, 12:44 AM
I couldn't find this by searching the forums here, but it seems you can only play custom maps by adding "-dev" to launch options and placing the maps in "C:\My Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes\WW2\Data\Scenarios\MP". The worldbuilder points to that folder as well as default save spot. For singleplayer maps just swap the MP with SP.

Without the -dev the maps don't show up and if you place the maps in the same folder under program files as most instructions one can find tell you to, CoH will start asking for you to insert the game's DVD which you, as Steam user, won't have.

Shai182
01-23-2010, 04:25 AM
ok.... i have the problem #2 but on windows 7 what gives? and nothing here helps me with that!!!

azsyndicate
01-23-2010, 02:44 PM
I have busy Profile Problem, any help for this?

Dannie
01-24-2010, 04:31 AM
I have busy Profile Problem, any help for this?

I also need help with this problem.

cflames
01-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I just played the game last night and had a blast. Today I'm having problem #3 and downloading through verifying the game cache. How does this happen, did my game files just get up and walk away?

azsyndicate
01-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Found a fix for the "busy Profile" problem I was having. Believe it or not, I had to un-forward port 6112. This is the first time in 10 years of broadband gaming that I have had to remove port forwarding.

Found the answer in this thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10182170#post10182170

DillerDude
01-25-2010, 11:11 AM
I had the #2 problem and I solved through the following steps.
1. Right click on the game in Steam.
2. Click "Properties".
3. Choose "Local Files" tab.
4. Click on "Verify integrity of game cache"
A lot of errors were found and was corrected and then it worked. Hope it helps some on else and hopefully also Win 7 users.

Jotuns
01-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Thank you that worked perfectly Diller

Cuervote
01-26-2010, 06:40 AM
I had the #2 problem and I solved through the following steps.
1. Right click on the game in Steam.
2. Click "Properties".
3. Choose "Local Files" tab.
4. Click on "Verify integrity of game cache"
A lot of errors were found and was corrected and then it worked. Hope it helps some on else and hopefully also Win 7 users.

I got random crashes all the time, i try that but in the same moment it finish downloading i do a new integrity check an still get bad files and start to download again and again.
I cant play like taht i get a crash on the middle of a match its a shame!

windows 7 utilmate x64
i7 860
4gb ddr3
hd 5870

visionviper
01-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I just played the game last night and had a blast. Today I'm having problem #3 and downloading through verifying the game cache. How does this happen, did my game files just get up and walk away?

Same thing happened to me. I was having problems getting it to launch at all so I verified the game cache and it came back saying that 21 things failed validation and started downloading the game all over again.

Tummynomnom
01-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Sound bug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAbpLMhhrsw

XP
Audigy 2 with latest drivers

VeriBlade
01-29-2010, 03:22 AM
Same thing happened to me. I was having problems getting it to launch at all so I verified the game cache and it came back saying that 21 things failed validation and started downloading the game all over again.

Yep im having similar problems, i play some games all ok no problems at all. Next day log onto steam try to start COH, won't start, validate files = 25 files failed redownload which takes about an hour. When that is finished i can play again and that happens every single day since i bought the pack a week ago :mad: . We need a fix for this asap, i have validated and downloaded more times than playing the games :mad:

skayleef
01-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Game loads fine, when I try and login with my profile, I get a crash. I verified the game cache files on all 3 games. I also tried the language fix. I have up to date video drivers and am running vista 64.

Here is the crash report
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RelicCOH.exe
Application Version: 2.601.0.169
Application Timestamp: 4ac12a4e
Fault Module Name: StackHash_49d9
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdf8
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000aa0fb
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

majormike3141
02-01-2010, 07:34 PM
It seems from what I have found on forum discussions is that the "freaking" game is about as reliable as a screen door on a sub. Switched to STEAM after having all 3 discs and having to constantly work out problems with the games updates and glitches. Now I have the games on STEAM and a different set of problems arises. The games crashes near the end of a mission repeatedly. Have performed all the recommended fixes I have seen. Any ideas as this is worse than work trying to get this simple program to run.

-LSD-
08-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I've got a better fix for the mouse flickering. Just hover over the blue badge in the middle right. Instantly fixes for me, sometimes the cursor goes a little fizzy first, but it's not a problem.

tirto_brass
09-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Is there a way to set refresh rate to 75hz and disable vsync? I took a look at the configuration file on my documents and unable to find anything.

mmproto
09-04-2010, 12:11 PM
What a waste of time and money. Im having the problem from #3 and cannot fix it. I've tried to reinstall, change language, and checking the integrity but nothing works. Im quickly begginning to realize why I went to console games.

Spectro87
09-05-2010, 12:31 AM
DirectX link is broken, by the way.

Raptoricus
09-10-2010, 06:02 AM
For number three, you should put emphasis on the fact that you have to switch languages fast. First time I tried this I finished the download in another language, then switched back, and that didn't work. All good if you switch fast though.

Mr.Bigtime
09-10-2010, 02:41 PM
i cant set my game to Direct 3D 9 because there is no option for it in game now..how can i start the game in DX9 mode pls?

JakCurse
10-22-2010, 10:07 AM
I've downloaded opposing fronts and Tales of valor, but I still can't play as the British... Help?

-LSD-
10-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Have you entered your keys in at the main menu?

JakCurse
10-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I have indeed :C

nitefox9
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
I tried everything listed and only got the run around by Steam, Relic and THQ. No one take responsibility for the trash, but gladly take the money. And yet as many people who have been complaining, still the game is being sold. WHAT THE HELL!:o

ChocoladeEter
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
I've been working on my problem for about 5 days now and I haven't made any progress as of yet. Whenever I start mission 2 or any other (except 1), the game crashes at 70% when loading. I can NOT seem to get it fixed. I have redownloaded the whole package, installed the add-ons just to be sure, used default settings, installed new drivers, deleted my profile, changed the language, literally EVERYTHING and I still can't get it to run properly. If I had a physical copy I would've thrown it out of the window by now. What happened to the damn stable version that was released in 2006 ? They messed the whole thing up and made it completely unstable.
Does anyone have any more suggestions because I can't think of any anymore?

bistabil
01-08-2011, 10:47 AM
i cant set my game to Direct 3D 9 because there is no option for it in game now..how can i start the game in DX9 mode pls?

Try changing order in game folder spDevices.lua file so that spDx9 is on top.

kitekrazy
02-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Try changing order in game folder spDevices.lua file so that spDx9 is on top.

Wow, this fixed a related problem I posted. Thanks very much.

Nihildum
02-21-2011, 08:36 PM
When I try to start COH and OP the window "Preparing to launch" Comes up and then just closes, and the game doesn't start. I've tried disabling UAC and changing the language, but when I change back to English nothing happens.

When i try to validate the game cache files it says "validating file 1 of 1" and sits at 0%. I've left it there for over an hour and it doesn't change.

Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.

popeyethesailor
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Can anyone please help me with this? Just purchased both CoH and CoHOF from steam and downloaded both. Then once I opened CoH to play, it did an auto patch to CoHOF and now I cant seem to be able to play the first one. Sorry if this sounds a bit odd, but im new to this.

EllEzDee
02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Can anyone please help me with this? Just purchased both CoH and CoHOF from steam and downloaded both. Then once I opened CoH to play, it did an auto patch to CoHOF and now I cant seem to be able to play the first one. Sorry if this sounds a bit odd, but im new to this.

All 3 expansions, CoH, OF and ToV, run on the same application. If you own just ToV, the CoH and OF parts of the game will be locked, if you understand what i mean.
To unlock the game that's locked at the main menu, go to the steam menu and right click the game that's locked for the CD key. Then, at the main menu of the game, click the padlock and enter the key.
Sadly, you wasted your bandwidth and time downloading both games. You can delete one of them from your harddrive.

partialist
03-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Hello,

I have a problem that I can't see having been discussed (if I'm wrong, apologies; please point me in the right direction).

Basically, I have all three games and they play fine, but the briefings don't work. Whenever a briefing screen loads, after a short time (sometimes from the start), the audio will start to skip and more annoyingly, none of the arrows and indicators being mentioned will appear on the map.

Anyone know what that could be about?

I have played the games on this exact hardware config before (but saved to a different hdd) and they worked fine.

soviet_sharkey
04-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Heres another issue
Black border around screen at 1080p

lolmanftw
05-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Here's a pretty big problem I have, I brought Company of heroes in a store and played it from the CD, then I tried to attach it to steam and got a "Company of heroes retail beta" how do i get my full game working?? (PM if you have an answer plss)

Euto
05-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Here's a pretty big problem I have, I brought Company of heroes in a store and played it from the CD, then I tried to attach it to steam and got a "Company of heroes retail beta" how do i get my full game working?? (PM if you have an answer plss)

Absolutely same issue here!

I activated my CoH key retail key in Steam.
It downloaded, installed, started and wanted to download the latest patch ingame?! well... ok
After downloading the patch it said: Patch already installed.
OK so I uninstalled the retail version and tried again. But then it said.
Error 10242--
It couldnt find an installed version of the game.
So I unstalled the steam version and installed it again within steam... same problem.

What now?

Ragga
06-08-2011, 04:30 PM
same issue as above... some help would really be much appreciated!!! same code too!

Fireniner3
07-06-2011, 04:36 AM
i just installed it after having it for a while, and a lot of the props in game are purple.. wtf?

Slaizt
07-06-2011, 05:24 AM
i just installed it after having it for a while, and a lot of the props in game are purple.. wtf?

This usually means that the textures are corrupt. Try verifying your installation or, if retail, reinstall.

Braineh
07-06-2011, 07:16 AM
prolly check your gfx driver and directx aswell.

John Mayham
07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
I got me the full CoH pack and downloaded Tales of Valor.
The first time I started it, it worked pretty well.

Now that I want to start it up again I get the same issue as described in #2. But I'm currently running on Windows XP.

methos319
07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
I can't even start up the game, it goes to launching game then closes instantly. Please help. :C

Braineh
07-08-2011, 07:12 PM
verify game files, if it doesn't help, delete clientregistry.blob and restart steam. install latest gfx driver + directx. also have a look if it needs MS visual c++ 2005/2008

Alba112
07-08-2011, 08:00 PM
This is ridiculous finaly after 6+ hours of trying to get this working i have it now.
Steam you should be getting a tutorial up as to how the hell you get this working or what the problems are on this downloading from steam or take it off the buy list tbh its been a pita ,Thats only the first download no dout the next 2 in the series will be the same .

nota999
07-09-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't know if any one else is having this problem, but frequently while I'm playing, the game will suddenly and without warning crash and close. If anyone has any help, I'd love to fix this because I'm having fun with this game.

JostVice
07-11-2011, 10:28 AM
huh, just can't start it. it starts then closes without saying anything. steam has installed directx and the microsoft runtimes and i can't get it to run!

dylan1982
07-14-2011, 12:23 PM
If none of the other hints here have helped and the game just doesnt start via Steam, try replacing the file "Xthread.dll" in the directory
<...>\Steam\steamapps\common\company of heroes\
by this one:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NXZ93SBN
Be sure to backup the current file first.

Thorthgar
09-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Does anybody know how to fix error 10242?

chris100185
09-22-2011, 06:17 PM
This is ridiculous whenever I try to change the settings, the game crashes. The cache verify's just fine and I updated my drivers less than a month ago.

Irandael
09-23-2011, 03:48 AM
Can someone help me? I have a very bad problem with shadows. The game runs quite fine. But everything (infantry, bushes and stuff) just "blinks" around the screen. When i turned the shadows off it stoped. But i don't really like this solution as i want to play this game with best graphics as possible.
I'm currently uploading video. It will take some time, but i will post it when it gets done.
PROBLEM SOLVED: Do not use ULTRA shader quality. If it persists use "-novsync" parameter when launching the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIwrbRdbYkA

GothaR_SVk
09-23-2011, 03:50 AM
huh, just can't start it. it starts then closes without saying anything. steam has installed directx and the microsoft runtimes and i can't get it to run!

Try the thing with changing the language for a while, I had the same problem and now it is downloading another 4 GBs :)

Sammerd
09-23-2011, 12:02 PM
This is ridiculous whenever I try to change the settings, the game crashes. The cache verify's just fine and I updated my drivers less than a month ago.

I'm having the same problem, my drivers are up-to-date but it keeps crashing. Also every time I verify the game cashe it needs to download 1 file.

chris100185
09-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm having the same problem, my drivers are up-to-date but it keeps crashing. Also every time I verify the game cashe it needs to download 1 file.

Do you use Raptr? Turn off the overlay. That fixed the issue for me.

Sammerd
09-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Do you use Raptr? Turn off the overlay. That fixed the issue for me.

Wow, thank you, I think it worked!

falcondimon
09-24-2011, 05:54 AM
I have got a very annoying issue here!
So I bought Company of Heroes (not the expanxion/add-on), just the plain game), downloaded it, and whenever I start the game it just isn't even loading. When I press the "Play" button on steam, it gives me the choice of either play game or register it with THQ. If I choose "play", the game just won't start - nothing happens but my avatar flashing green (like when in-game) for a few secs. If I choose register, then it says "This game is currently unavailable". I tried verifying integrity - and it always says it is missing 1 file. Could anyone provide me with a solution, or am I the only 1 with this problem?

EDIT:
When starting game/world builder from game folder manually, it gives me an error regarding xthread.dll)

RPGAlien
09-25-2011, 06:43 AM
I just bought the game (ToV), but whenever i try to start it, it tells me that: "Failed to contact key server", whatever that means... either way, can't start the game, and I've tried the verification of game cache, and the language fix... neither of them worked. Also tried restarting steam, which didn't work eihter!

I'm using Win7.

EDIT: nvm, found an answer elsewhere (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696987).

haukohl
09-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I just bought the game (ToV), but whenever i try to start it, it tells me that: "Failed to contact key server", whatever that means... either way, can't start the game, and I've tried the verification of game cache, and the language fix... neither of them worked. Also tried restarting steam, which didn't work eihter!

I'm using Win7.

EDIT: nvm, found an answer elsewhere (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696987).

i have same probs plz tell what to do:rolleyes:

Dlwfuture
10-05-2011, 01:43 PM

The same here, there is no option in game menu for it.
I can't find a way to play this game in dx9 with the steam launcher.

You can play it creating a shortcut to the exe file of the game ("RelicCOH.exe" in the steamapps\company of heroes folder). And set compatibility mode for Windows XP in the properties. (When you do this, you play in dx9 instead of dx10).
When in dx10 mode the game freezes even in low in some missions, but in dx9 it runs in the ultra without any slowdown in framerate.
Try this.

If anyone knows a way of play in dx9 with the steam launcher, please tell us.

jmagal
10-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Hello everyone.
I am having alot of problem that I cant fix.
- Every time the game loads starts or I try to login it minimizes, sometimes it doesnt even log in at all yet still minimizes.
- Verifing the steam files shows me that I have 1 file that failed to validate and will be reaquaired... it never got fixed.
Please help me and thank you for reading :)

Fedexm
11-01-2011, 09:18 AM
2) PROBLEM: (VISTA) Can't be launched, stuck at "Preparing to launch"

My brother has this exact problem, i downloaded the game for him, he played like 40 hours, and one day, he turns on the pc, launchs steam and when he clicks Play on company of heroes (CoH or CoH: Tales of valor) it says "Preparing to launch" and nothing happens, one time said "Syncronizing" and then nothing, i re-installed steam and downloaded everything again bur it didnt work, it keeps saying "Preparing to launch"

The pc already was with UAC disabled, but i checked again in case that something had changed but its still Off

I have Windows 7 32bits

The weird thing its that he played around 40hs and suddenly it doesnt work

LEV2619
12-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Bought it yesterday, it's crashes about every 20 minutes. Did the whole verifying and defragmenting stuff and it's not working at all.

FrostByte-GER
12-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Bought it on Christmas!

Found a bug: Game doesn't starts! After klicking on Start CoH, Steam freezes for 2 seconds, and I'm in my friendlist green.
Some seconds later, I'm getting blue and nothing happens.

Fix: Download this (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NXZ93SBN) Xthread.dll and replace it with the old(buggy/damaged) Xthread.dll!

Now your game should start.

Peter_J_Georg
12-26-2011, 08:00 AM
As the game has been on sale might THQ or Relic finally be kind enough to fix the mess they've done with the Steam version?
If you don't know what I'm talking about: This is the game Steam's .ncf files have been misused in any way possible.
f.e. localized english files in main content.ncf and english.ncf and of release depot.ncf and all three want a different version of the files. This problem often causes Steam re-downloading all the localized files for me. Might be time to fix this issue, especially as it can be easily fixed.

sodah2000
12-27-2011, 03:38 AM
Bought it yesterday, it's crashes about every 20 minutes. Did the whole verifying and defragmenting stuff and it's not working at all.
Im having same problem.

jasjon
12-30-2011, 03:13 AM
I recently bought the Company of Heroes Gold Edition but it keeps crashing when trying to play the first few missions. I have tried fix one on numerous occasions but it still keeps happening. I have also closed down all non-Window programs running in the background but that has not helped either. I also bought Star Wars the Force Unleashed II at the sametime, which I have had no problems with.

Can anyone please help

Thanks jasjon

Ludwigvan
01-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Deleting the broken XThread.dll and getting a new one helped me to get the game running. The game refused to start before (XP). Only, I searched ages for a version, which was not hosted on megaupload (site is down). ^^

Adding this to the OP would be very nice:
http://www.franken-online.de/darylvanhorne/coh/XThread.dll

TimeKiIIa
01-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Anyone got a fix for CoH running in windowed mode i mean it loads up fine then once finished loading it jumps into windowed mode i normally take it out but once it loads a mission it does the same I've tried -window in the exe short cut but that's not working?

crazyamer
03-21-2012, 04:23 AM
I have a Dell XPS L502X
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz(4 CPUs)
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Version 11
I have 2 Graphics, Intel Integrated HD Graphics and Nvidia GeForce GT 525M.

The problem I have is that Company of Heroes won't load up at all, it displays the loading icon for the mouse cursor. But that's it.
I've updated the Nvidia graphics to the latest version and the preferred graphics is already set to the Nvidia card. Set the firewall to allow steam.
I love the game and want to play on the go.
Please help.

Thank You

Cassick
03-24-2012, 03:22 AM
I've been playing for about 30hrs with no problems and then it was all crashes and freezes. I read the wise words on the forums and assumed it was Dx related so I changed my graphics--wherever they were set as ultra I changed to high and it runs great again. I assume it was an update that caused the problem. I hope this helps a few of you out, I suspect it will as if you've bought it recently your machine will run it easily and so default to ultra.

Best,

Cassick

Bartano
04-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Problem: Game starts in windowed mode. If I expand the window or use alt-enter, the resolution goes all wonky - apparently into a 4:3 ratio. If I leave it windowed, I cannot edge scroll in-match and the grfx eventually go black. My monitor's native res is 1440x900 16:10. This seems to not agree with the game's default (4:3 apparently). Any ideas, anyone?

Bartano
04-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Problem: Game starts in windowed mode. If I expand the window or use alt-enter, the resolution goes all wonky - apparently into a 4:3 ratio. If I leave it windowed, I cannot edge scroll in-match and the grfx eventually go black. My monitor's native res is 1440x900 16:10. This seems to not agree with the game's default (4:3 apparently). Any ideas, anyone?

Apparently fixed. Set local.ini to DX9.

Torabi
05-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Decided to to play this again now that my friend bought it but I can't fix my damned NAT connection error. Forwarded the ports and everything.

NightStrider
05-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Decided to to play this again now that my friend bought it but I can't fix my damned NAT connection error. Forwarded the ports and everything.

same

/5char

Piemonkey
05-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Getting #3 all the time and nothing is working. I swear the game has redownloaded the same 3GB file four times now after Verifying Files each time. So now I've got an overloaded bandwidth allowance and a game that does not work no matter how many times I change the language, delete ClientRegistry.blob, Verify File Integrity or bathe in chicken blood.

aegisfate117
05-14-2012, 01:23 PM
4) PROBLEM: I'm getting FPS drops for no reason!
Quote:
FIX: If you have Direct X10 enabled, try disabling it. To do this load up the game and go to options then change the option of "Direct 3D 10" to High or Low and this should use Direct X9.

What does this mean? There are no options like this on the Graphics menu for CoH.

I changed my local.ini to DX9 but I STILL get it. I've obviously validated, installed new drivers. All my other games work fine. There's no reason for CoH not to.

ric_v_o
05-18-2012, 08:33 AM
where can I find the Key? Cause you need a key to play everything in the game and I'm using steam but I can't find the key! Please help!

1madmouse
05-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Face it guys we got stuffed I have done all the merry-go -round things they suggest all for Nothing. Hope you enjoy the money we paid for getting a big fat zero. My confidence in Steam just went out the window. Now have to find a new place to put games as we can't depend on Steam anymore. Thanks for nothing Steam.

Brutol Motent
06-11-2012, 10:30 PM
where can I find the Key? Cause you need a key to play everything in the game and I'm using steam but I can't find the key! Please help!

Right click the game in your library and select view game CD Key.

peopleRstrange
06-25-2012, 11:53 AM
I'd like to add this as a solution to the NAT problem

I found this works (after months of not working with other methods INCLUDING port forwarding via my hubs web interface)

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthre...-error-message
(post number 8)

Or read:

-Start
-My Computer
-Network (NOT "network and sharing centre")
-Right click on your hub (normally listed under "Network Infrastructure")
-Properties
-Settings (its a button not a tab)
-Add a service

A form will pop up, fill it with this:

Name of service: COH (Can be anything)

IP address: Your IP*

6112 in both Internal and External port fields.

Select UDP.

*Get your IP adress by doing this: Start -> Run -> cmd -> ipconfig -> find IPv4 should look like 192.168.x.x

Save this service, close the window. Launch COH. Enjoy MultiPlayer.

vasenin
07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Hello bought the press to play CoH 20 seconds and runs out the error, "send a countdown"
http://imgdepo.ru/id/i1145182

innovated
07-28-2012, 08:26 AM
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/341/errorso.png/ can anyone explain to me what this means ?

WC_EEND
10-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Okay, bought CoH collection during the sale this weekend, installed it, verfied game cache several times (which involved quite a bit of redownloading), tried the change language trick and I still get crashes every time I try to launch CoH or any expansions.
Any suggestions?

PC Specs:
Intel Core i7-2600K
Nvidia GTX560Ti (2GB version)
game is on a WD Caviar green (just like all my other steam games) 1TB
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

squidy91
11-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Hi ive play CoH for months now with no problems at all now all of a sudden i cannot loggin to relic online,

game starts up fine but when i go to loggin to relic the screen attempts to minimze and goes to windowed mode with evrything black so i click on the window it looks fine again but im not online it lets me selct my profie and go to main menu but i still remain offline

i havn't tested singleplay to see if it still works fine but i can't get any online servers

squidy91
11-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Hi ive play CoH for months now with no problems at all now all of a sudden i cannot loggin to relic online,

game starts up fine but when i go to loggin to relic the screen attempts to minimze and goes to windowed mode with evrything black so i click on the window it looks fine again but im not online it lets me selct my profie and go to main menu but i still remain offline

i havn't tested singleplay to see if it still works fine but i can't get any online servers

sry support my problem is a false alarm its allowing me online again now im gueesing there was downtime i didn't hear about

Bandeye
05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Just bought the game, I played it for 3 hours, then today I cannot start the game anymore. It says "Missing executable" I already deleted the appcache folder etc, but it didn't work. Can somebody please help?

Tequila628
06-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Any fixes for constant CTDs?

Tried to install latest 'WHQL' 320.18 nvidia driver, but then uninstalled it right after because default gpu temp raised 5 degrees up and everyone is posting that these driver is broken and fries videocards.