PDA

View Full Version : Source Ports, and how to use them!

RabidZombie
08-06-2007, 02:16 AM
The ULTIMATE Doom Source Port guide!

All the Doom based games seem to just be the original games bundled with a less than ideal DosBox set-up. Which is why I'm making a thread about Doom Source Ports.

A Source Port is a fan-made program that allows you to play Doom on systems not originally intended (or supported, like XP) or with new features and improvements, including 3D platforms support, OpenGL graphics, mouse look, modern multiplayer standards and higher resolutions. There are literally tons of Doom Source ports, so here I will only list the notable ones. All these support both Doom 1, 2, Final Doom and Master levels. Most support Heretic and HeXen too!

ZDoom
GZDoom
ZDoomGL
Eternity Engine
Doomsday
Skulltag
EDGE
Chocolate Doom
ZDaemon
Odamex
Doom Legacy

Single Player based Source Ports

These source ports are designed to provide a stable base with many enhanced and new features allowing a solid single player experience for the original and community made levels for Doom.

The most advance is easily ZDoom, and all based on it. Supporting not only all extensions HeXen and Heretic added to the engine, it also has many new features, including a complex scripting system and support for the other Doom Engine game Strife! ZDoom has been the base for a few other Source Ports as well, namely GZDoom, ZDoomGL adding improved OpenGL graphics and Skulltag and ZDaemon adding superior multiplayer support.

EDGE is another very modifiable Doom source, which is also quite popular, but doesn't have as great support for Hexen and Heretic. It still has many cool features.

Doom Legacy, based of the same base engine as EDGE (DosDoom) has advance features, including 3D floors and improved net code as well as an OpenGL renderer, but unfortunately it suffers from some bugs. It is also quite modifiable.

Eternity engine, originally starting as a Doom total conversion, is an advance port with a lot of modifiable possibility. It is not as popular as ZDoom for general Doom playing, but gets most of its support from people aiming to make their own Doom Engine games, free of the original Doom resources.

Chocolate Doom doesn't have advance features. Instead it caters for the people wishing to just play Doom. It is an attempt to recreate Doom down to the smallest detail, keeping support for the original demos/speedruns and all the levels and bugs, so that people who can't run the original Doom can still perform speed runs and make demos that the original Doom can play. (Chocolate Doom doesn't have any new features over Doom what so ever. It is the only Source Port listed here which doesn't support vertical mouse look)

Multiplayer Player based Source Ports

Skulltag, Odamex, ZDaemon and csDoom are the main multiplayer Source Ports. All based on ZDoom (ZDaemon an older ZDoom), they all have some advance features, however Skulltag has the most modding capability and has a new OpenGL rendering engine, providing what I think is the most solid Doom multiplayer experience.

However, if you looking for more Doom faithful multiplayer, I recommend either csDoom or the Chocolate Doom beta.

ZDaemon is the most popular Source Port, mainly because of its age and improvement over the original Doom's multiplayer. Although it is more faithful to Doom than Skulltag, it still has many features that the original Doom lacked such as teamplay and capture the flag, and possibly the best netcode.

The best thing you can do is try all of multiplayer ports available to you, and see which one you prefer the most. I can't know which one you'll like most.

How to's

All Source Ports require an "IWAD" file. This is the data file that comes with any Doom Engine game. AFAIK all of the Doom engine game's '.wad's are located within /Steam/Steamapps/Common/. It should be easy to tell what .wad is for what game, but here's a list:

doom.wad is Doom I
doom2.wad is Doom II
tnt.wad and plutonia.wad are Final Doom
hexen.wad is for Hexen.

Most of the time, these IWADs need simple be dropped in the Source Port's directory, but it varies from program to program, so read the documentation. Master Levels for Doom II has 20 wad files. These are not IWADs and need to be run as PWADs. See the documentation for the Source Port to see how to run PWADs.

Alternatively, if you want to run the Source Port from Steam, you can follow a guide kindly written by 404notfound.
Running source-ported games from Steam

Now, with the new beta, it's possible to make just about anything run from Steam. But you can actually make it so the original shortcuts to Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 (but NOT Master Doom), etc. will point to a ZDoom (or other source port) version of the game.

When you select one of the old Doom games from Steam, it's actually just running a .bat file, or batch file. A batch file is basically just a list of what you would type into the command line, conveniently packed into one file that you can click on to execute.

What you want to do is modify the .bat files so that they'll run the source port instead of DOSbox (which is what is used by default to run the old DOS games).

First, copy over all the essential files of the source port. I use ZDoom, so I'll use that as an example. ZDoom requires three files in addition to the Doom .wad: fmod.dll, zdoom.exe, and zdoom.pk3. *

* If you've tried playing and have messed with some settings already, another file will be generated: zdoom-<username>.ini. This file should be copied too if it's there.

Take these files and copy them into Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name>\base. Then go up a folder into Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name> and you should find two or three .bat files. I'll use Doom 2 as an example.

In the folder, the three .bat files are doom2 + mouse.bat, doom2.bat, and testapp.bat. You don't have to mess with testapp.bat; the other two correspond to the two options you can pick when you try to launch Doom 2: with or without mouse support.

Since I'm assuming you'll want mouse support, crack open doom2 + mouse.bat in a text editor, like Notepad. The contents should read as follows:

.\base\dosbox -conf .\base\doom2m.conf -fullscreen -exit
exit

Just change the top line to something like this and save it:

.\base\zdoom.exe

It will be different if you're using another source port.

To check if you've done everything correctly, try running the .bat file. If the game starts up, then everything should be set; you can just pick the game from Steam, and it will start the nice source ported version of the game instead of using the DOSbox emulator.

Short version:

Copy source port files to Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name>\base
Go to Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name> and open the appropriate .bat file in a text editor
Change the top line to: .\base\<source port executable>

I haven't had too much experience with all the other source ports, but I hope this is enough information to do it with any of them.

That's everything(unless I forgot something)!

If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask, and someone will probably get back to you soon. If I have forgotten anything or if anything is wrong, please PM me or post. I'll try to keep this up to date (I doubt anything will change though).

Thanks, and good night!

RabidZombie
08-06-2007, 02:19 AM
Reserved.

Sticky please!

I left out Boom and other S/ Ports either because they're old or because they don't have anything the ones I posted don't. I needed to remove some because otherwise the list would be huge as well. I do know that, so don't point it out.

As I said, got anything to ask, ask away.

RKN2K
08-06-2007, 08:22 AM
hexen.wad is for Hexen.
It may also be the 4-level demo.

Hwkiller
08-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Doom ran fine on xp though... I just switched it to 98 compatibility mode and it was flawless.

After a while, I used zdaemon just for the added functionality.

XStixsmaster
08-06-2007, 09:14 AM
why use the source stuff...it isnt right....if you are a true classical gameplay player you wont be a baby and will stick to the true classical gameplay not take time to get source ports that you dont need...

---Stixsmaster

freebird93
08-06-2007, 10:17 AM
why use the source stuff...it isnt right....if you are a true classical gameplay player you wont be a baby and will stick to the true classical gameplay not take time to get source ports that you dont need...

---StixsmasterWell, if you're too "good" to use ports that allow for proper multiplayer online, don't use them, and don't try to call people stupid for wanting that multiplayer, or perhaps smoothened textures or whatever. It's the same game, just made a bit better, and if you can't live with it, don't, and don't try to convince other people that what they think is wrong and what you think is right. Thank you :)

XStixsmaster
08-06-2007, 12:07 PM
ok no where did I say you were stupid...I just say it is wrong in my opinion...and well that if you want internet play get sumthing like fuhquake...all it does is give mouse control...well it makes that better and then it gives internet gameplay...but it does not try and amp up sumthing that is already badass as is...

---Stixsmaster

Dyslixec
08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
ZDaemon keeps doom in its orignal format, all it does is make a multiplayer portion to doom II more accessible. Most of these ports do the same thing but add new multiplayer modes such as capture the flag, 'skull tag', etc. And Doomsday is just like FUHQuake, it puts doom in open gl format and gives mouse look, it in no way changes the values of the game other then visual and basic control features, just like fuhquake.

XStixsmaster
08-06-2007, 01:29 PM
well that is good...but if you get what I mean then you should possibly agree with what I am saying...

---Stixsmaster

Dyslixec
08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
I understand what you are saying, tbh all I use is zdaemon / skulltag for doom I / II multiplayer, I personally dont like the graphical enhancement ports at all. I prefer the original look and style ;D. Same way with quake I.

ShaunJ1380
08-07-2007, 02:47 AM
I for one think it's awesome and have already found a few hours of enjoyment. Thanks for the post. I had no clue this was out there. I'm absolutely in love with Doom once again! :)

RabidZombie
08-07-2007, 05:43 AM

---Stixsmaster

Which is why I added Chocolate Doom (I play on the term Vanilla Doom meaning the unmodified original). It is the exact same as Doom, only it runs on modern systems. The only difference is that in Chocolate Doom it's network code uses TCP/UDP instead of Doom's old XP incompatible code. And that makes no difference to the game play. Just makes it easier to play online on our systems.

I understand what you are saying, tbh all I use is zdaemon / skulltag for doom I / II multiplayer, I personally dont like the graphical enhancement ports at all. I prefer the original look and style ;D. Same way with quake I.

I have to agree with you most of the time. Although I am partial to an increase resolution so all the walls are smooth at their edges.

As for Quake, I have to admit they've done impressive things with the engine source code (see Darkplaces) making it look pretty!

Tuskin
08-07-2007, 11:19 AM
I Try running any Doom game Doomsday and I get this error

Game state parameters:
All DGL textures deleted.
N_InitService: In/out UDP port 13209.
SetupLevel: MAP01
VerifyMapData: BEHAVIOR for "MAP01" could not be found.
Useable data will be generated automatically if needed.
DetermineMapDataFormat: (V2 GL Node Data)
(glBSP 2.20 | 2007-08-07 17:07:13.8590 | 0xe3e9ca07)
P_LoadMapData: MAP01
Loading Sidedef Texture IDs...
Group lines
Sector look up
Build line and subsector tables
R_InitLinks: Initializing
P_CheckLevel: Checking MAP01 for errors...

Level 1: Entryway
Author: id Software

Segmentation Violation

RabidZombie
08-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Odd. What OS, Processor and Graphics Card are you running?

mattjb
08-07-2007, 12:52 PM
ok no where did I say you were stupid...I just say it is wrong in my opinion...and well that if you want internet play get sumthing like fuhquake...all it does is give mouse control...well it makes that better and then it gives internet gameplay...but it does not try and amp up sumthing that is already badass as is...

---Stixsmaster

Apparently even John Carmack disagrees with you. Regarding the old Doom/Quake/Heretic/Hexen games:

It all comes down to resources -- re-qualifying a release of anything takes a lot of time, money, and support, while just shipping the exact same executables was fairly straightforward. While Doom and Quake might be able to justify the work, there is no way a lot of the titles could, so the decision was pretty obvious.

I strongly urge people with a little initiative to go look at the various high quality source ports, because they are better in essentially every aspect than the original sources, but we aren't going to make any of them official.

Tuskin
08-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Odd. What OS, Processor and Graphics Card are you running?

Well It doesn't matter now since I'm running GZDoom but here are my specs.

(I'm on my Mom's crappy computer for 3 weeks)

Intel Pentium 4, 2. something GHz processor

Built in Intel Graphics Processor (this.. computer.. sucks)

760mb of ram.

beanenator
08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Any way someone should list all the major ports even the zdoom build in some ways risen3d is better the doomsday

404notfound
08-08-2007, 03:16 AM
This guide is missing a big convenience:

Now, with the new beta, it's possible to make just about anything run from Steam. But you can actually make it so the original shortcuts to Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, etc. will point to a ZDoom (or other source port) version of the game.

When you select one of the old Doom games from Steam, it's actually just running a .bat file, or batch file. A batch file is basically just a list of what you would type into the command line, conveniently packed into one file that you can click on to execute.

What you want to do is modify the .bat files so that they'll run the source port instead of DOSbox (which is what is used by default to run the old DOS games).

First, copy over all the essential files of the source port. I use ZDoom, so I'll use that as an example. ZDoom requires three files in addition to the Doom .wad: fmod.dll, zdoom.exe, and zdoom.pk3. *

* If you've tried playing and have messed with some settings already, another file will be generated: zdoom-<username>.ini. This file should be copied too if it's there.

Take these files and copy them into Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name>\base. Then go up a folder into Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name> and you should find two or three .bat files. I'll use Doom 2 as an example.

In the folder, the three .bat files are doom2 + mouse.bat, doom2.bat, and testapp.bat. You don't have to mess with testapp.bat; the other two correspond to the two options you can pick when you try to launch Doom 2: with or without mouse support.

Since I'm assuming you'll want mouse support, crack open doom2 + mouse.bat in a text editor, like Notepad. The contents should read as follows:

.\base\dosbox -conf .\base\doom2m.conf -fullscreen -exit
exit

Just change the top line to something like this and save it:

.\base\zdoom.exe

It will be different if you're using another source port.

To check if you've done everything correctly, try running the .bat file. If the game starts up, then everything should be set; you can just pick the game from Steam, and it will start the nice source ported version of the game instead of using the DOSbox emulator.

Short version:

Copy source port files to Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name>\base
Go to Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name> and open the appropriate .bat file in a text editor

I haven't had too much experience with all the other source ports, but I hope this is enough information to do it with any of them.

RabidZombie
08-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Well It doesn't matter now since I'm running GZDoom but here are my specs.

(I'm on my Mom's crappy computer for 3 weeks)

Intel Pentium 4, 2. something GHz processor

Built in Intel Graphics Processor (this.. computer.. sucks)

760mb of ram.

Aha. I don't think Doomsday likes your "Graphics Processor". Integrated and the like seem to cause similar errors.

RabidZombie
08-08-2007, 04:39 AM
This guide is missing a big convenience:

Personally, I'd rather not run it through Steam. But thanks. I might add it after I try it out.

404notfound
08-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Addendum to launching games from Steam: Master Levels for Doom 2

Because the Master Levels for Doom 2 is a collection of PWADs (the main game WADs are IWADs), it's a little more complicated to get it working with a source port like ZDoom. In order for it to work, you have to launch the source port while also specifying 1) the Doom 2 IWAD, 2) the Master Level PWAD, and 3) the map number that the PWAD is replacing.

By default, running Master Levels from Steam will use DOSBox to open the Doom-IT program where you can pick the level that you want to play. It also comes with some extra features like being able to read the description for each level, and turbo and multiplayer settings. These unfortunately are not very configurable with ZDoom; I wrote a batch file to select a difficulty and a map, but that's about all I can do (I might include an option to read the descriptions for the maps if I'm feeling bored again soon).

I will again be assuming that you are using ZDoom. Place the three requisite ZDoom files (fmod.dll, zdoom.exe, zdoom.pk3) in the main Master Levels folder (Steam\SteamApps\common\master levels of doom), and then replace the master.bat with the one I wrote here (http://404notfound.googlepages.com/master.bat). You can see a picture of what the batch file does here (http://404notfound.googlepages.com/wadmenu.jpg).

Short version:

Copy source port files to Steam\SteamApps\common\master levels of doom
Replace master.bat with the one here (http://404notfound.googlepages.com/master.bat[/url)

Note: If you are using something other than ZDoom, it may be possible to modify the batch file to work with it. You will have to find out the command line parameters to specify an IWAD, a PWAD, a starting map level, and a difficulty.

This is a very kludgy solution and may not necessarily be worth it, especially considering that it involves downloading a batch file written by a stranger (though I assure you that it does not have any malicious code whatsoever--open it in a text editor and see for yourself). Regardless, I prefer the convenience of being able to play all 21 Master Levels in ZDoom by launching from the Steam games window, and I might as well share it with others.

Da_maniaC
08-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Too bad the topicstarter failed to give an objective view on the source port community doom has to offer.
I certainly hope that other people reading this topic will not feel biased towards a certain port and play or skip one.
If youre looking to play Doom Online the best thing you can do is try all multiplayer ports available to you. (Zdaemon, Skulltag etc).
There is also little true of what he stated in the first post about Zdaemon.
The port is indeed the most popular and thats not for just any reason.
The netcode of the game is very modern allowing very steady network connectivity yet authentic gameplay is kept unlike other 'limit-removing' ports such as ZDoom, GZDoom and Skulltag where Doom physics and weapon damage are just thrown overboard.

Da_maniaC
08-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Hey there,

STEAM has now been working together with IDGames to make everything they have to offer work in a multiplayer community.
Real purists of true gameplay or either people that just bought the whole package will also be in posession of the classic shooter Doom 1 / 2 now!

Even though the original game is somewhat outdated when it comes to connectivity, the source code to the engine was released quite a few years back and has enabled developers and communities to grow around their freely developed products to play doom running to the fullest on modern day machines and platforms!

A very good example of this happening is the source port called ZDaemon.

Zdaemon offers it all from a stand alone written game launcher to configure your singleplayer and multiplayer games to a built in IRC client to chat with your buddies and arrange games with the least bit of effort.

Because of this newly written engine ZDaemon offers more then the classical Doom had to offer while trying to stay close to the authentic feel of the game.
There are new additions however such as freelook, jumping, higher resolutions and even new gamemodes such as capture the flag!

Next to all of this its even possible to add this new 'source port' to your steam games list.

Short version:

Copy all source port files to Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name>\base

Have fun! :)

DanPMK
08-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Don't forget to mention that a few of these Source Ports also support the awesome game Strife, if anyone has it. I know ZDoom supports it, and Doom Legacy does not, iirc. One of my favorite games :P It was the last game to get a license to use the Doom engine.

I'm not sure if Strife is free or not; it was developed by Rogue and published by Velocity, both of which are out of business. Anyone know if it's free or not?

ATimson
08-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure if Strife is free or not; it was developed by Rogue and published by Velocity, both of which are out of business. Anyone know if it's free or not?
Strife has not been rereleased as freeware.

DanPMK
08-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Strife has not been rereleased as freeware.

Hm, does anyone know any way to contact the people that made it? Rogue Software is gone, and the new Nerve Software place's email system is down. I'd like to be able to contact them about stuff

Mict
08-16-2007, 11:37 PM

I guess the latter should be "Multiplayer Source Ports"?

RabidZombie
08-17-2007, 05:22 AM
I guess the latter should be "Multiplayer Source Ports"?

Uh, I don't see that mistake anywhere in the post. ;)

Don't forget to mention that a few of these Source Ports also support the awesome game Strife, if anyone has it. I know ZDoom supports it, and Doom Legacy does not, iirc. One of my favorite games :P It was the last game to get a license to use the Doom engine.

Strife is not only incredibly hard to get a hold of legally now, only ZDoom (and derived) properly supports it. Still, it was fun. Completely different gameplay than Doom.

RabidZombie
08-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Too bad the topicstarter failed to give an objective view on the source port community doom has to offer.
I certainly hope that other people reading this topic will not feel biased towards a certain port and play or skip one.
If youre looking to play Doom Online the best thing you can do is try all multiplayer ports available to you. (Zdaemon, Skulltag etc).
There is also little true of what he stated in the first post about Zdaemon.
The port is indeed the most popular and thats not for just any reason.
The netcode of the game is very modern allowing very steady network connectivity yet authentic gameplay is kept unlike other 'limit-removing' ports such as ZDoom, GZDoom and Skulltag where Doom physics and weapon damage are just thrown overboard.

I agree, the best thing you can do is try all multiplayer ports available to you. However, I'd like to point out a few things. One, is that both ZDaemon and Skulltag's netcode is based on csDoom's netcode, which is based on QuakeWorlds. Although ZDaemon has shown slightly superior netcode, Skulltag has recently been catching up, and may eventually overtake. (Also, I'd hardly call QuakeWorld modern! ;) )

Also, last time I checked, ZDaemon was based of ZDoom. Infact, last time I checked, the physics and weapon damage are exactly the same in Zdaemon, Skulltag, Zdoom and GZdoom. The only added thing to Skulltag are easily disabled runes, new powerups and new weapons. If one wants authentic Doom multiplayer then one can easily then resort to csDoom. ZDaemon is really the middlle ground betweem csDoom and Skulltag. Not having the most advanced features, but still being a slight improvement over the original. Some people would prefer it, but the only reason why it is the most popular is because of its popularity. People are like sheep, they follow each other. ZDaemon grew with popularity, and thus caused more people to migrate to it.

As for ZDaemon and bans, it is cirtainly true. Infact, one can be completely banned from the game and everything to do with it. If one finds themselves banned, they can not go to the forum, join IRC, even play in any servers.

The ZDaemon staff are unbearable as well. Not only have the forcefully removed other team members by perma-banning them from everything for team disagreements, and a team member even released a Trojan under the name of ZDaemon.

Granted, it is my opinion that the community is unbearable, and I will remove that now. However, everything else I stated is fact.

RabidZombie
08-17-2007, 07:19 AM
I wrote a batch file to select a difficulty and a map, but that's about all I can do (I might include an option to read the descriptions for the maps if I'm feeling bored again soon).

I'm feeling bored. I'll do it. :D

Edit: Done. It's pretty cool. Way beyond what I was aiming to do...
You can select Map, Difficulty AND the Source Port to run it in (I have a few in a list and an option to use your own) and you can read the read me files for the currently selected map.

I was thinking of adding the joining of a network game, but I though that was going a tad to far for a Master Levels launcher (Perhaps I should make a Doom launcher in C++?). I may in the future add extra command line parameters support though. If you want a copy, I'm going to host it.

Da_maniaC
08-17-2007, 01:02 PM
I'd like to point out a few things. One, is that both ZDaemon and Skulltag's netcode is based on csDoom's netcode, which is based on QuakeWorlds. Although ZDaemon has shown slightly superior netcode, Skulltag has recently been catching up, and may eventually overtake. (Also, I'd hardly call QuakeWorld modern! ;) )

The big difference is, with the ZDaemon client having at least 5 rewrites and the last one adding significant netcode changes there are now methods in effect which you will find when looking at modern day games.
Unlagged interpolation and packtloss checks that resend server information to keep the gaming experience as nice as possible. Even with 200 ping movement nowadays is no problem which is quite the difference compared to Quakeworld/CSDoom/ZDoom. With Skulltag i wouldnt know, since i do not track the port anymore since Carn left. (I wouldn't even know if he would possible be back with the project, but thats ok).

If Skulltag is making new developments regarding this field then thats very nice as with any 'competition' (as far as competition for freelance projects can go) ZDaemon is not just sitting there with the current already nicely working netcode either. In addition to new features regarding the netcode there are quite some developers involved from other modern games next to the main coder which thought of innovative solutions / suggestions such as projectile interpolation in comparison to lag and packetloss as addition to the already optimised netcode, which will be in the v1.09 release.

Also, last time I checked, ZDaemon was based of ZDoom. Infact, last time I checked, the physics and weapon damage are exactly the same in Zdaemon, Skulltag, Zdoom and GZdoom. The only added thing to Skulltag are easily disabled runes, new powerups and new weapons. If one wants authentic Doom multiplayer then one can easily then resort to csDoom. ZDaemon is really the middlle ground betweem csDoom and Skulltag. Not having the most advanced features, but still being a slight improvement over the original. Some people would prefer it, but the only reason why it is the most popular is because of its popularity. People are like sheep, they follow each other. ZDaemon grew with popularity, and thus caused more people to migrate to it.

Well then i do not know when the last time was you checked. As of ZDaemon v1.06 there have been several changes to the engine on core level.
Another developer from the old school doom community (and #nightmare2) created a package that could be used in accordance with a running ZDaemon game server redist allowing gameplay to be as authentic as possible. He created the package because Zdoom and any port based off of it was way off in terms of doom gameplay with altered physics and a different damage calculation which was considered better by Randy Heit (the author of ZDoom) but unknowningly changed the gameplay just to name a few examples.
This addition package was favoured so much by the community it set a standard for today's Doom2.exe gaming via TCP/IP protocol and so the package got integrated.
The newer versions of ZDaemon that contained this package (any version does nowadays) featured changes regarding game physics, z-height and actor handling, super shotgun damage calculation, player spawning, pickup ranges and the doom2.exe sound curve.
All of these features being exactly in accordance with doom2.exe except for the sound curve which for some reason was still copyrighted by IDGames.
This feature was therefore looked upon by several developers and people from #nightmare2 to be created as authentic as possible.
It is this new standard in doom2.exe gaming that has drawn people across to play ZDaemon and make the port grow in popularity and be anywhere but the 'middlegrounds'.

Now, another important and essential difference between ZDaemon and Skulltag is that next to the very authentic gameplay ZDaemon has chosen not to make mandatory additions to the port except for server variables.
Zdaemon is based of an older ZDoom codebase (1.23b) however new developments have been added and code has been rewritten a couple of times to even improve engine performance and features of which the originals are still present in the latest build of ZDoom today.
When i say we did not make any mandatory changes it is, because we want ZDaemon to be seen exactly the way 'more-then-average-understanding-community-members' see the project. Doom2.exe with a decent modern day netcode.
Sure, we have new gamemodes such as CTF and sound, weapon or skin patches such as found in Skulltag. However these are brought fully outside the port and added just as any other doom pwad that would have custom maps etc.
One of the few things ZDaemon lacks in however is ACS scripting support, which is also in the works for the upcoming v1.09. (People want it, but i am sure that as soon as its there they will try a handfull of wads and leave it alone while it takes hours of engineering to get ACS scripting to work in a Server/Client enviroment hence why it was never rushed).

As for ZDaemon and bans, it is cirtainly true. Infact, one can be completely banned from the game and everything to do with it. If one finds themselves banned, they can not go to the forum, join IRC, even play in any servers.

The reason for this is very, very simple. Zdaemon is not only a gaming engine, it has a stand alone launcher with a built in IRC client too.
All of these services cost money to maintain yet we do not, nor do we want to charge anyone for enjoying games with our port.
Therefore if there is a serious 'perpetrator' of our freely offered service we do not want him to enjoy it anymore.

Not only have the forcefully removed other team members by perma-banning them from everything for team disagreements

The only reason a certain bunch of old staff members has been banned in the past was because they thought they could overtake the entire project as a group with their na๏ve ideas and values, not even considering how much they meant to the project in comparison to others.
We have a very simple policy in that regard and as long as people do not start a personal or even a physical (DDOS attacks) offensive we will act reasonable.

a team member even released a Trojan under the name of ZDaemon.

I am not going to try and offend people here, but after reading your post a couple of times i do have to note that you try very hard to shed a negative view on a subject (in this case ZDaemon) without letting everyone else know the whole truth. Please note that this is the only reason i even bother to clear a few things up.

Zdaemon at one point became so popular that a person wrote an aimbot and wallhack for the port. (This yet again tells you something about popularity but that aside...)
So at one point, one ZDaemon team member got mad at the fact and located the origin of this cheat to mirror it with a self adapted version of the cheat which in its turn deleted a few ZDaemon files of the users pc at the moment it was fired up and the user thought he was knowingly going to use the cheat. (Preventing the cheat from working and to give a warning to the user for trying to use the cheat).
This action was not endorsed nor supported by anyone of the ZDaemon team and this team member acted alone in his case and never proclaimed to do it for the entire team either.

The ZDaemon staff are unbearable as well.

Notice how i said 'we (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:xGX51L1HzbQJ:www.zdaemon.org/+Support:+Da_maniaC,&hl=nl&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=nl)' a lot in this entire message?
Should i start feeling offended? :)

Granted, it is my opinion that the community is unbearable, and I will remove that now. However, everything else I stated is fact.

You have every right to form your own opinion about the ZDaemon community and project. This post however, certainly proves a lot of things wrong which are considered by you as facts.
Everyone else will be able to see that now i hope rather then to see a shortsighted and negative view that was trying to be shed onto the project in this thread. Have a nice day. :)

Quake Master
08-18-2007, 10:45 PM
id should have just put Doom 95 series on steam.

ATimson
08-18-2007, 11:48 PM
id should have just put Doom 95 series on steam.
Doom 95 doesn't work right under WinNT-based versions of Windows; namely, mouse support is broken, as is windowed mode.

Da_maniaC
08-19-2007, 03:54 AM
Next to that Doom95 does not have a way to set up TCP/IP connections either.

You should just think of doom as a game contents package which you buy off STEAM.
The engine is not what you pay for, but the .wads containing the graphics, maps, music etc etc are.

The engine you choose to play doom with wether thats doom2.exe, zdoom or zdaemon is all up to you depending on how you want your gaming experience to be or what you are looking for.

:)

eowyncarter
08-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, doom is probably the game i played the most.
Would probably feels weird to have something that look like doom but isn't doom.
vertical mouse look on doom ?? just look so out of place. So my preferences would go the source port that looks like the real game.

Still, i would gladdy takes the chance to play the multiplayer doom again :)

Da_maniaC
08-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Well, doom is probably the game i played the most.
Would probably feels weird to have something that look like doom but isn't doom.
vertical mouse look on doom ?? just look so out of place. So my preferences would go the source port that looks like the real game.

Still, i would gladdy takes the chance to play the multiplayer doom again :)

Don't know if you have read my post above.
But if you look at ZDaemon for example.
The developers put in server settings that can make the game look as close to doom as possible.
That means when you look at the ZDaemon server list you will find both normal and Old School servers. As where the old school server have no free mouselook, no jumping, vanilla doom physics etc. etc. :)

eowyncarter
08-25-2007, 06:42 AM
i'll have a look at this ,maybe.

For now, "i have a billing info refused", so i'm afraid steam is a no go for me :( though said billing info are perfectly correct !
Asked the support, but if the don't provide me with an solution fast, i'll just give up.

eowyncarter
08-26-2007, 08:31 AM
Support did solve my problem. They can be fast, when you're in a "I wanna give you my money" situation :)

Did a bit a play with Zdaemon. That was fun. Ah, sweet sweet memories :)

Though it's a bit buggy.

Da_maniaC
08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Though it's a bit buggy.

That depends completely on what you played and how you played it.
For any weird issues you can find information on the ZDaemon forums itself ofcourse.
If you are talking about any jittering....that can happen with any online game. Its called lag.

RabidZombie
08-28-2007, 09:26 AM
The big difference is, with the ZDaemon client having at least 5 rewrites and the last one adding significant netcode changes there are now methods in effect which you will find when looking at modern day games. I wouldn't know, since it is closed Source. Which I hate about Skulltag as well.

Unlagged interpolation and packtloss checks that resend server information to keep the gaming experience as nice as possible. Even with 200 ping movement nowadays is no problem which is quite the difference compared to Quakeworld/CSDoom/ZDoom. With Skulltag i wouldnt know, since i do not track the port anymore since Carn left. (I wouldn't even know if he would possible be back with the project, but thats ok). It shows I haven't played the unmodified Quakeworld in a while. I hadn't realised it was so primative compared to today's standards. Still, both Skulltag and ZDaemon are greatly improved over it anyway. And comparing correctly possible when both ports are illegally closed source.

Well then i do not know when the last time was you checked. As of ZDaemon v1.06 there have been several changes to the engine on core level.
Another developer from the old school doom community (and #nightmare2) created a package that could be used in accordance with a running ZDaemon game server redist allowing gameplay to be as authentic as possible. He created the package because Zdoom and any port based off of it was way off in terms of doom gameplay with altered physics and a different damage calculation which was considered better by Randy Heit (the author of ZDoom) but unknowningly changed the gameplay just to name a few examples. I checked the ZDoom change log and I can't find any references to deliberately changing any weapon physics for the better. Nor have a ever heard it mentions before this day. In fact, Randy has made several changes to move ZDoom's behavior closer to Doom's, such as calculating the damage radius as a square not circle (which was a mistake).Although, I don't really see how small changes can make such a large difference anyway. I haven't been able to notice any major changes between Doom's multiplayer and ZDoom's with the exceptions of genuine improvements such as players being over to pass over each other.

Now, another important and essential difference between ZDaemon and Skulltag is that next to the very authentic gameplay ZDaemon has chosen not to make mandatory additions to the port except for server variables.
Zdaemon is based of an older ZDoom codebase (1.23b) however new developments have been added and code has been rewritten a couple of times to even improve engine performance and features of which the originals are still present in the latest build of ZDoom today.
When i say we did not make any mandatory changes it is, because we want ZDaemon to be seen exactly the way 'more-then-average-understanding-community-members' see the project. Doom2.exe with a decent modern day netcode.
Sure, we have new gamemodes such as CTF and sound, weapon or skin patches such as found in Skulltag. However these are brought fully outside the port and added just as any other doom pwad that would have custom maps etc.
One of the few things ZDaemon lacks in however is ACS scripting support, which is also in the works for the upcoming v1.09. (People want it, but i am sure that as soon as its there they will try a handfull of wads and leave it alone while it takes hours of engineering to get ACS scripting to work in a Server/Client enviroment hence why it was never rushed).
That's nice to hear.

The reason for this is very, very simple. Zdaemon is not only a gaming engine, it has a stand alone launcher with a built in IRC client too.
All of these services cost money to maintain yet we do not, nor do we want to charge anyone for enjoying games with our port.
Therefore if there is a serious 'perpetrator' of our freely offered service we do not want him to enjoy it anymore.

So disagreements among team members permit them being banned from even playing what they once contributed to?

I am not going to try and offend people here, but after reading your post a couple of times i do have to note that you try very hard to shed a negative view on a subject (in this case ZDaemon) without letting everyone else know the whole truth. Please note that this is the only reason i even bother to clear a few things up.

Zdaemon at one point became so popular that a person wrote an aimbot and wallhack for the port. (This yet again tells you something about popularity but that aside...)
So at one point, one ZDaemon team member got mad at the fact and located the origin of this cheat to mirror it with a self adapted version of the cheat which in its turn deleted a few ZDaemon files of the users pc at the moment it was fired up and the user thought he was knowingly going to use the cheat. (Preventing the cheat from working and to give a warning to the user for trying to use the cheat).
This action was not endorsed nor supported by anyone of the ZDaemon team and this team member acted alone in his case and never proclaimed to do it for the entire team either.

I didn't realise the "virus" was so mild. I guess this is just due to a lack of information on the matter, but I myself didn't look into it. Everywhere else I've looked for information, it has only said "files" which I assumed, because of its unforgiving labeling of Trojan, to be more along the lines of personal documents or system files. Anyway, it isn't like I'm going to find and download something labled as a virus.

Notice how i said 'we (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:xGX51L1HzbQJ:www.zdaemon.org/+Support:+Da_maniaC,&hl=nl&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=nl)' a lot in this entire message?
Should i start feeling offended? :) I more meant some individuals of the team. I don't have anything against the support team/avatar approval team. In fact, it is more I just don't like Raider and Kilgore.

You have every right to form your own opinion about the ZDaemon community and project. This post however, certainly proves a lot of things wrong which are considered by you as facts.
Everyone else will be able to see that now i hope rather then to see a shortsighted and negative view that was trying to be shed onto the project in this thread. Have a nice day. :)

Thanks for your contributions. I'm going to try to remove as much PoV as possible. I tend to put a lot of PoV in when I'm tired (like I was).

Anyway, Skulltag has had its own fair share of criticism. SKO made clients commit DDoS attacks of ZDaemon. I didn't really like Codeimp either.

Da_maniaC
08-28-2007, 06:17 PM
I checked the ZDoom change log and I can't find any references to deliberately changing any weapon physics for the better. Nor have a ever heard it mentions before this day. In fact, Randy has made several changes to move ZDoom's behavior closer to Doom's, such as calculating the damage radius as a square not circle (which was a mistake).Although, I don't really see how small changes can make such a large difference anyway. I haven't been able to notice any major changes between Doom's multiplayer and ZDoom's with the exceptions of genuine improvements such as players being over to pass over each other..

If you are not aware of physics and damage deviation regarding ZDoom and ports based on it without changes in regard to these fields then the discussion about how it effects gameply is quite irrelevant to you. :)
There is a specific reason why a vanilla doom authenticity is favoured. 100% of the 'older' doom community grew up with it. Very good players have mastered it only to find a newer generation of what is proposed to be the exact same game to be different. This matter is adressed severely just so this specific argument can no longer be used by 'older' players as an excuse.
Furthermore there are also purists like me who just favour 99,9%-100% authenticity over fancy eyecandy.
The reason you do not find any note of these changes is because these deviations (seen by the author as optimisations back then however) were present from day one. And never spoken about because of the young source port community back then and its lack of understanding compared to today.
If you have played Doom since it came out like I have you develope a nack of sensing weird deviations by just playing a simple map.
Zdoom may have uncapped FPS which is pleasing for the eye, but i will prefer ZDaemon over it any day due to the fact that these modified physics and damage calculation are still present today and severely hold me back from playing doom on the same level i do on vanilla Doom and ZDaemon.

So disagreements among team members permit them being banned from even playing what they once contributed to?

Not at all. As i stated in my previous post; no drastic measures will be taken unless personal offense is comitted and as i also stated before an offense on the service we host for free is also seen as personal.
I never read of any german citizans cheering when hitler forcefully tried to overtake the council of an entire country. Even though he contributed as a politician in this same council himself.

I more meant some individuals of the team. I don't have anything against the support team/avatar approval team. In fact, it is more I just don't like Raider and Kilgore.

Heh, i guess someone has to play police officer and determine what is and is not liked in regard of fair use of a free service.
Since Kilgore and Raider are both lead developers and administrators i could not think of anyone else better suited for that job.

Thanks for your contributions. I'm going to try to remove as much PoV as possible. I tend to put a lot of PoV in when I'm tired (like I was).

Anyway, Skulltag has had its own fair share of criticism. SKO made clients commit DDoS attacks of ZDaemon. I didn't really like Codeimp either.

Thanks for the understanding.

I've been around long enough to see how relationships between ZDaemon and Skulltag develope. In a case like this i will do everything that is justified to show that both ports can co-excist easily.
I have also seen what causes them both to wringe in the same community over the years but i am not getting into that on these forums since it is simply irrelevant.

AlexMax
08-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Nice work on the FAQ, Zombie.

My problem with ZDaemon is that in my opinion, it acts very unprofessional on the 'personal attacks' front. How many people do you know go out of their way to scream "SCREW VALVE, I HATE THEIR GAME/VALVE/ETC.", and yet still play their games religiously. VAC bans are only dished out for hacks, and besides that, the community can rant and rave all they like. Although I don't like the ZDaemon administration at all, I still liked to play on servers, namely because in the end, there are only two mature alternatives to choose from, and I'm not a fan of the way Skulltag approaches Doom.

Unfortuniatly, because the administration team doesn't like me, I'm now banned on sight. This is absolutely ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen another sucessful game where a global banlist is enforced on every single server (It's their servers, you're not paying for their bandwidth, they are), without the option to 'opt-out'. In fact, I know for a fact that the banlist is trivial to bypass if you know a bit of hex editing, but prior attempts at hosting servers such as those have been the target of "You better not be doing that, or you're ????lested from our master". You can argue that the administration is paying for the metaserver bandwidth, and thus should be able to enact whatever rules it wants, but if you compare this policy to the policy of just about every other online game in existance, it starts to not make sense.

I mean seriously, what's the deal here? It's one thing to block undesireables from the game, but the ZDaemon team essentially tries to tie the community and the game together, and by doing so it's almost impossible to exist outside of it, vocally disagree with the standing administration and still play the game. And I guarentee you that if they had started abusing this policy before there was a stable userbase in place, they wouldn't have gotten nearly as many people as they have now. Now the community is way past 'critical mass' for growth, and the administration essentially has a blank check, since number of people who leave or get banned due to disagreements is miniscule compared the number of new players entering every day.

Jesus, I've been reading way too much into this. All I know is that I can't play a decent game of doom online unless I sign up for IDL (mad kudos to Ralphis for organizing and being able to support this in spite of also being masterbanned). Around every three months, I get another craving to play doom, but my attempts at proxy-ing in have been met with little success, and I just can't ???? myself to go through a whole ringamarole of hiding my identity every time I get a craving to play.

So yeah, I guess the admins won. I'm playing Warsow and CPMA now, and having a blast (and I'm even on the testing team of the former). But I still look back occationally with a hint of nostalgia now and then, and smile about what could have been and shake my head at what eventually came of it.

ZeroSignal
01-18-2008, 01:31 AM
I think you should add PrBoom to that list.
http://prboom.sourceforge.net/

It's respected engine amongst the doom community.

RabidZombie
01-21-2008, 10:56 AM
As awesome as PrBoom is, I can't see why anybody who isn't a Doom fanatic would use it. Other Source Ports in the list support all of PrBoom's features completely, making it pretty much obsolete for the purposes of improving upon the original Doom.

Anyway, there are loads of Source Ports I could add to the list. In the end, what comes down to it are which ones do/should people be made aware about, and do these people care about the history of the development of Source Ports.

Da_maniaC
02-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Ports like PrBoom and Chocolate Doom used to be favoured by some purists until ZDaemon 1.06. Since this had the Doom-X package which i explained above gameplay has been as close as possible to its original counterpart.
Since PrBoom had more limited multiplayer capabilities and Chocolate Doom was still in early development, more and more people lost interest in them.

ZeroSignal
03-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I suppose you guys are right. I still prefer it for single player boom wads though.
I read through some more of this thread, and wow.. I left zdaemon a while ago.. but I never realized it got so bad.

jmace86
09-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Could somebody please go through a brief walkthrough of how to get Doom (and Doom 2, Final Doom, Heretic and Hexen) running through Steam using the Doomsday engine with the 3D models for everything?
For some reason I am having a fair bit of trouble with this. :confused:

djZM
01-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I've visited the DOOM forums many times, but I never noticed this sticky. I've always wanted to get DOOM Legacy again, and now I know how I can do it for the Steam versions. Excellent =) Maybe I'll try ZDoom sometime..

Yngve
02-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh man, that ZDoom program has made them so much more enjoyable.

Came here looking for a solution to the mouse turn speed, for some reason my Doom 2 runs fine, but my Ultimate Doom was ridiculously slow at turning. Much better now i can map the keys to WASD for strafing and give myself mouse look.

Although the majority of this thread still goes over my head, but at least i've got that ><

Da_maniaC
03-23-2009, 04:56 AM
The cool thing is..
For the real Doom fans, ZDoom opens up a complete new world because of its advanced engine features and scripting capabilities.

You should look at ZDoom mods named ZEN Deynamics, KDiZD, Deus Vult 1&2 or the ZDoom Community Map Project.
These mods/mappacks can all be downloaded for free and will blow you away in terms of Doom playing experience. :)

ZeroSignal
03-23-2009, 06:54 AM
ZDoom by far is the slickest engine there is for Doom. GZDoom just adds onto that with a good OpenGL renderer and some Doom Legacy features.

Frits
03-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Most of the source ports are based of Zdoom with extra features

ZeroSignal
03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Not really.

You have ZDoom, Skulltag, GZDoom, ZDaemon, and Odamex (the last two being based on VERY old builds of ZDoom.)

Then you have..

Chocolate Doom
Boom
Doom Legacy
Doom-Plus
Doomsday
Edge
Eternity Engine
GLBoom
PrBoom
PrBoom-Plus
ReMooD
Risen3D
Vavoom

I'm sure I'm missing plenty of others, but you get my point.

AzureEmmanuel
06-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Could someone tell me how to run snowberry (jDoom which you can find at http://www.doomsdayhq.com/) from Steam like he explained how to with zdoom?

I cant seem to be able to do it :S

Bomyne
06-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Am I the only one that came into this thread hoping someone had ported Doom to the Source Engine? :P

MADDOGGE
01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I use and am happy with the Doomsday port. The awful dosbox ports ID chose to use for Steam are just terrible imo. The version I'm using I don't have to move any files, just point the engine to my WAD files in Steam and it does the rest. In fact the newer version I installed on my brothers PC during Christmas finds the WADs all by itself if they are in Steam.:cool:

Leader Bee
01-06-2010, 12:52 PM
If i've already played some of final doom and have saves for them will I be able to continue from my saves if I install a sourceport? I'm actually playing from a laptop and using Joy2Key to play so mouselook isnt really a feature I need, though updated,sharper graphics would be nice - Does chocolate doom upgrade the graphics?

Versian
04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Am I the only one that came into this thread hoping someone had ported Doom to the Source Engine? :P

I came...

kinkoblast
05-29-2010, 08:24 AM

---Stixsmaster

It's a matter of taste. Personally, they're both nice to have around. Which is why I'm repurposing 'classic controls' as 'classic engine version' :P

kinkoblast
05-29-2010, 08:25 AM
If i've already played some of final doom and have saves for them will I be able to continue from my saves if I install a sourceport? I'm actually playing from a laptop and using Joy2Key to play so mouselook isnt really a feature I need, though updated,sharper graphics would be nice - Does chocolate doom upgrade the graphics?

I think Chocolate is intended to be very close to original gameplay, with only bugfixes and compatability (where Vanilla is intended to emulate as many bugs as it can. It's an ice cream flavor joke. >_>) Saves usually aren't compatable, but you can just use the console on most ports to jump to the right map.

RabidZombie
05-29-2010, 08:30 AM
I think Chocolate is intended to be very close to original gameplay, with only bugfixes and compatability (where Vanilla is intended to emulate as many bugs as it can. It's an ice cream flavor joke. >_>) Saves usually aren't compatable, but you can just use the console on most ports to jump to the right map.

Chocolate Doom is amazing. I <3 Chocolate Doom.

ZeroSignal
05-29-2010, 10:16 PM

Vanilla is just a term for the original engine, it's not emulating anything.

Chocolate-Doom is basically Vanilla for pretty much any OS with more or less identical game play behavior. It uses the same .cfg file and the same blur-o-vision as well.

320x200 was great in the early 90s with 15" CRT displays, but today with a typical LCD display, it looks terrible.

Although the assets in the game don't look much better in higher resolutions since they were built around the original resolution, they at least remain clear at further distances.

I'll never understand why people insist on playing in 320x200 for anything other than some nostalgia. PrBoom+ with the appropriate -complevel is all I need if I want original game play.

Mau1wurf1977
08-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Although I am quite a purist myself, I just tried zDoom and I am impressed.

I changed the strafe keys and the mouse look and it's really making a difference. I just played the first 5 levels and flew through them. It's FUN and that's what really matters.

The graphics still have the same "blockiness" that I love in the old games. It's basically just scaled to a higher resolution. What I don't like are these "softening" filters that Steam used in the Lucasarts adventures. Thankfully they can be disabled.

Now I take it if one has a true General Midi connected you can just play the audio through that (I could change the midi device inside the game).

I do believe that Steam would have less support issues if they shipped Doom 1 and 2 with zDoom or a similar application. It's definitly more FUN to play it that way, hands down.

It even supports Widescreen and has aspect ratio correction for 5:4 LCDs (SOOOOO very rare, clearly shows someone cares).

ZeroSignal
08-14-2010, 07:11 PM
PrBoom+ also supports widescreen natively, along with 5:4 even.

Gray-Sylar
08-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Can somebody write a step-by-step to make It work with Doomsday? I haven't been able to make It function.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind, found It in the New Doom forums. Gonna post It here for the record in case anyone needs It:

hey, i just downloaded the id mega pack off steam and have just started setting up doomsday, so far i've got everything working apart from hexen - deathkings... which i should work out later....

First I downloaded deng-1.9.0-beta6.8-setup.exe and installed it. (c:\games\doomsday)

Then I just copied the "bin", "data" and "doc" folders from where doomsday installed into (c:\games\doomsday) and pasted them into each version of dooms folder inside steam. (c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\ultimate doom, c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\doom2) etc...

so that inside the "...common\doom2" folder you should see at least four folders, the three you just pasted in from doomsday, plus a "base" folder and some .bat files

then you just gotta edit the .bat files with notepad and change it from dosbox to doomsday... ie.

"doom2.bat" and or "doom2 + mouse.bat" should look like this
.\bin\doomsday -game jdoom -file .\base\doom2.wad -width 1024 -height 768

"ultimate.bat" and or "ultimate + mouse.bat"
.\bin\doomsday -game jdoom -file .\base\doom.wad -width 1024 -height 768

"heretic.bat"
.\bin\doomsday -game jheretic -file .\base\heretic.wad -width 1024 -height 768

"hexen.bat"
.\bin\doomsday -game jhexen -file .\base\hexen.wad -width 1024 -height 768

note: i hope thats easy enough for you to understand.... there are probably less clunky ways of setting it up but this seems to work for me pretty good :P

myca
08-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Can somebody write a step-by-step to make It work with Doomsday? I haven't been able to make It function.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind, found It in the New Doom forums. Gonna post It here for the record in case anyone needs It:

You are a star,

I just took this info and can now use Doomsday with all the extras straight from the .Bat file.

Below is the Bat file I created for Ultimate Doom using Doomsday, and the Hi Res texture pack, and various other addons.

.\bin\doomsday -def .\addons\Doom1_Soundtrack.ded -file .\addons\slide-doom-sky1.pk3 -file -file .\addons\slide-doom-sky2.pk3 -file .\addons\slide-doom-sky3.pk3 -file .\addons\slide-doom-sky4.pk3 .\addons\jdui-all-20080614.pk3 -file .\addons\deng-dhtp-20100114.pk3 -file .\addons\pk-doom-sfx-20100109.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\Required\jdrp-genericmodels.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\Required\jdrp-lightmaps.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\Required\jdrp-miscfx.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\Required\jdrp-particles.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\Required\jdrp-shinemaps.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-cell.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hanginglegs.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-revrocket.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-stonepillar.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-tree.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-rocketbox.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-painelemental.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-sssoldier.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hud-fists.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-impfireball.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-spectre.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-celllarge.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-headsonstick.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-spidermastermind.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-impaledtwitcher.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-firestick.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-radiationsuit.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-colongibs.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-brainstem.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-formersergeant.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-shells.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-arachnoshot.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-computermap.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hud-bfg.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hud-chaingun.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hangtnobrain.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-shellbox.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-candle.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hellknight.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-bloodpools.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hangingleg.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-talltorch.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-baronofhell.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hud-rocketlauncher.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-mediumlamp.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-stalagtite.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-formerhuman.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-bigtree.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hangtlookup.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-skullkeys.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-procket.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-firecan.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-biglamp.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-medikit.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hangnoleg.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hangtskull.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-barrel.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-w-supershotgun.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-w-shotgun.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-bigstonepillar.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-cyberdemon.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-imp.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-w-chaingun.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-cacofireball.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hangnoguts.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-cacodemon.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-healthpotion.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hangnobrain.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-arachnotron.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-smalllamp.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-berzerkpack.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-w-bfg.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-candelabra.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hangbyfeet.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-skullpillar.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-keycards.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-w-chainsaw.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-invulnerability.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-mancfireball.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-armor.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-soulsphere.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-bosscube.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-lostsoul.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-keen.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-demon.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-headcandles.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-w-rocketlauncher.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-ammobox.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hud-supershotgun.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-plasmashot.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-rocket.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hud-chainsaw.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-lightgoggles.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-spinalcolumn.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hud-shotgun.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-headonastick.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-megasphere.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-w-plasmarifle.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-floatingskulls.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hangtorso.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-evileye.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-revenant.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hud-pistol.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-archvile.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-spiritualarmor.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-player.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-stalag.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-bfgshot.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-techpillar.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-stimpack.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-heartpillar.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-baronfireball.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hangtlookdn.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-mancubus.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-formercommando.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-hud-plasmarifle.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-backpack.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-ammoclip.1.01.pk3 -file .\addons\jdrp.box\jdrp-invisibility.1.01.pk3 -sfxchan 16 -texcomp -wh 1680 1050 -game jDoom.dll -iwad .\base\doom.wad -bpp 32
exit

DOOMJESUS
08-17-2010, 07:46 AM
i think Risen3D has the best single player experience yet.
http://risen3d.drdteam.org/
it is very simple, grab every file from their download page and install them all, about 200mb...
i think doomsday will forever be broken, i gave up on it a long time ago.

spyder2314
08-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Skulltag instructions:

You can add the skulltag engine to steam by downloading the zip installer(v. .98c) (http://www.skulltag.com/download/files/release/st-v098c_windows.zip) (may not be the latest version, try going to the main site (http://www.skulltag.com) and downloading the zipped up install) and extracting it to */Steam/Steamapps/Common/(insert doom game name here)/base. then migrating to the previous directory and editing the "* + mouse.bat" file and replacing it with this: (MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU EDIT IT!!!)
Example code for doom 2:

.\base\skulltag.exe -iwad doom2.wad

of course the *.wad file will be different if you are modifying tnt or plutonia or whatever.

Playing mods on skulltag:

the most important commmand parameters to remember for skulltag when playing custom wads are:

-iwad [name of iwad]
-file [name of pwad]

so titan would look like this:

.\base\skulltag.exe -file titan.wad -iwad doom2.wad

dakronic
10-29-2010, 03:33 PM
this dont help why dont they do patche fix dosbox.exe stopped worrking LAMER STEAM

spyder2314
11-10-2010, 07:16 PM
because dosbox isn't made or written by Valve....

Valve isn't going to maintain a program if they did not write it in the first place; that's like asking Valve to patch WoW.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosbox

self_slaughter
11-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Thanks in advance.

lol, that was my post (http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=36903) from ages ago... funny the ♥♥♥♥ that pops up from time to time :P

self_slaughter
11-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Having just tried out the skulltag engine I have to say that I like it a lot. :P Skulltag keeps all settings for all games in one config file so in this case it's a lot easier to just have one install of it.

In my case I extracted the st-v098d_windows.zip (http://www.skulltag.com/download/files/release/st-v098d_windows.zip) to C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\skulltag

Then edited the batch files as shown:

Note: Batch files available here on mediafire (http://www.mediafire.com/?aaizac2bmz3wfsy) ready to just extract into Steam\steamapps\common

Ultimate Doom (ultimate.bat / ultimate + mouse.bat)
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\base\doom.wad
Doom 2 (doom2.bat / doom2 + mouse.bat)
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\base\doom2.wad
Final Doom - Plutonia (plutonia.bat / plutonia + mouse.bat)
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\base\plutonia.wad
Final Doom - TNT (tnt.bat / tnt + mouse.bat)
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\base\tnt.wad
Heretic (heretic.bat)
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\base\heretic.wad
Hexen (hexen.bat)
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\base\hexen.wad
Hexen - Death Kings (HexenDK.bat)
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\base\hexdd.wad

:update

Master Levels for Doom II (master.bat)
@echo off
cls
:menu
echo ษอออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออ ป
echo บ Master Levels for Doom II บ
echo ฬอออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออ น
echo บ 1) Attack บ
echo บ 2) Black Tower บ
echo บ 3) Bloodsea Keep บ
echo บ 4) Canyon บ
echo บ 5) The Catwalk บ
echo บ 6) The Combine บ
echo บ 7) The Fistula บ
echo บ 8) The Garrison บ
echo บ 9) Geryon: 6th Canto of INFERNO บ
echo บ 10) Titan Manor บ
echo บ 11) Mephisto's Maosoleum บ
echo บ 12) Mino's Judgement: 4th Canto of INFERNO บ
echo บ 13) Nessus: 5th Canto of INFERNO บ
echo บ 14) Paradox บ
echo บ 15) Subspace บ
echo บ 16) Subterra บ
echo บ 17) The Express Elevator to Hell บ
echo บ 18) Trapped on Titan บ
echo บ 19) Vesperas: 7th Canto of INFERNO บ
echo บ 20) Virgil's Lead: 3rd Canto of INFERNO บ
echo ศอออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออ ผ
set /p m=Choose a number and press enter (Q Quits):
if %m%==1 goto attack
if %m%==2 goto blacktwr
if %m%==3 goto bloodsea
if %m%==4 goto canyon
if %m%==5 goto catwalk
if %m%==6 goto combine
if %m%==7 goto fistula
if %m%==8 goto garrison
if %m%==9 goto geryon
if %m%==10 goto manor
if %m%==11 goto mephisto
if %m%==12 goto minos
if %m%==13 goto nessus
if %m%==14 goto paradox
if %m%==15 goto subspace
if %m%==16 goto subterra
if %m%==17 goto teeth
if %m%==18 goto ttrap
if %m%==19 goto vesperas
if %m%==20 goto virgil
if %m%==Q goto end
if %m%==q goto end

goto end

:attack
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\attack.wad +map map01
goto end

:blacktwr
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\blacktwr.wad +map map25
goto end

:bloodsea
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\bloodsea.wad +map map07
goto end

:canyon
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\canyon.wad +map map01
goto end

:catwalk
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\catwalk.wad +map map01
goto end

:combine
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\combine.wad +map map01
goto end

:fistula
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\fistula.wad +map map01
goto end

:garrison
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\garrison.wad +map map01
goto end

:geryon
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\geryon.wad +map map08
goto end

:manor
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\manor.wad +map map01
goto end

:mephisto
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\mephisto.wad +map map07
goto end

:minos
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\minos.wad +map map05
goto end

:nessus
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\nessus.wad +map map07
goto end

:paradox
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\paradox.wad +map map01
goto end

:subspace
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\subspace.wad +map map01
goto end

:subterra
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\subterra.wad +map map01
goto end

:teeth
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\teeth.wad +map map31
goto end

:ttrap
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\ttrap.wad +map map01
goto end

:vesperas
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\vesperas.wad +map map09
goto end

:virgil
..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\virgil.wad +map map03
goto end

:end
cls
echo.
echo Created by self_slaughter for the steam forums
echo.
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2 -w 1000 > NUL

Sorry for the length of this post, just thought it might help people, let me know if you have some suggestions / requests

BlackmarketK
12-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks a lot for this info, I've been using source ports for my DOOM engine games for awhile, but now I have them linked to the launcher in Steam, which is awesome. :D

Is there any way to have Steam track the time you spend playing your DOOM iWads through a source port? Or is the only way to have your game time recorded by playing through DosBox?

I see that it tracks the last time you launched a DOOM game through the Steam menu, but it doesn't track the time you spend playing.

EDIT: Never mind, Steam doesn't seem to track the DosBox emulated games at all, even when running them from the client without a source port. Bit of a bummer, but it looks like I'm all set now. :)

mjc0961
12-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Master Levels for Doom II (master.bat)
@echo off
cls
echo บ 1) Attack บ
echo บ 2) Black Tower บ
echo บ 4) Canyon บ
echo บ 5) The Catwalk บ
echo บ 6) The Combine บ
echo บ 7) The Fistula บ
echo บ 8) The Garrison บ
echo บ 10) Titan Manor บ
echo บ 14) Paradox บ
echo บ 15) Subspace บ
echo บ 16) Subterra บ
if %m%==1 goto attack
if %m%==2 goto blacktwr
if %m%==3 goto bloodsea
if %m%==4 goto canyon
if %m%==5 goto catwalk
if %m%==6 goto combine
if %m%==7 goto fistula
if %m%==8 goto garrison
if %m%==9 goto geryon
if %m%==10 goto manor
if %m%==11 goto mephisto
if %m%==12 goto minos
if %m%==13 goto nessus
if %m%==14 goto paradox
if %m%==15 goto subspace
if %m%==16 goto subterra
if %m%==17 goto teeth
if %m%==18 goto ttrap
if %m%==19 goto vesperas
if %m%==20 goto virgil
if %m%==Q goto end
if %m%==q goto end

goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\attack.wad +map map01
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\blacktwr.wad +map map25
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\bloodsea.wad +map map07
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\canyon.wad +map map01
goto end

goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\combine.wad +map map01
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\fistula.wad +map map01
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\garrison.wad +map map01
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\geryon.wad +map map08
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\manor.wad +map map01
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\mephisto.wad +map map07
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\minos.wad +map map05
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\nessus.wad +map map07
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\paradox.wad +map map01
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\subspace.wad +map map01
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\subterra.wad +map map01
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\teeth.wad +map map31
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\ttrap.wad +map map01
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\vesperas.wad +map map09
goto end

..\skulltag\skulltag.exe -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\virgil.wad +map map03
goto end

cls
echo.
echo.
Thanks a ton for this! A few quick replacements of the skulltag.exe to whatever source port you and and it works for all of them (I got it working in ZDoom). You made it very simple, thanks a million! :D

AtlasRapture
12-29-2010, 04:18 AM

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that, now all thats lacking is to get Steam to notice that i'm playing it.

Edit:

How do I get Doom 2 The Master Levels working in Doomsday? I've tried the code posted by self_slaughter but obviously modified it a bit so its now this:

..\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom -file -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\attack.wad +map map01 -width 1280 -height 1024
goto end

And all it does is go to a blank screen and the little white circle appears moves round a bit then stops and crashes the program. Any ideas?

F4LL0UT
01-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Just wondering, why isn't Doom 95 listed here? In my eyes it's worth mentioning, especially because of the fact that (as far as I know) it is the only official Windows port ever made and actually still works fine after 15 years.

You can download the shareware version (which can perfectly be expanded through WADs of the full DOS versions) here:
Doom 95 Shareware @ Doomworld (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=7053)

More information on the port and troubleshooting can be found here:
Doom 95 @ The Doom Wiki (http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_95)

RabidZombie
01-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Just wondering, why isn't Doom 95 listed here? In my eyes it's worth mentioning, especially because of the fact that (as far as I know) it is the only official Windows port ever made and actually still works fine after 15 years.

You can download the shareware version (which can perfectly be expanded through WADs of the full DOS versions) here:
Doom 95 Shareware @ Doomworld (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=7053)

More information on the port and troubleshooting can be found here:
Doom 95 @ The Doom Wiki (http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_95)

Because it's buggy and terrible.

fisk0
01-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Because it's buggy and terrible.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's more of an official client than a source port, and it has not been updated in 15+ years, and just barely works in modern Windows versions, often with screwed up palettes.

But when it was released it was a good way to play Doom with general MIDI support and all that on the OS of the day.

ZeroSignal
01-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't go that far, but it's more of an official client than a source port, and it has not been updated in 15+ years, and just barely works in modern Windows versions, often with screwed up palettes.

Broken palette, broken invisibility, broken mouse support (a fix can be found at Doomworld if you REALLY want it, though) can't enable autorun (vanilla doom can do this by setting joy_speed to 29), the sound pitch is too low, and it's just vastly inferior to many of the available source ports already listed.

It's not good, there is no reason to use it today unless you used it back in the day and are looking for nostalgia.

self_slaughter
01-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks a ton for this! A few quick replacements of the skulltag.exe to whatever source port you and and it works for all of them (I got it working in ZDoom). You made it very simple, thanks a million! :D

No worries, glad I could be of help :P

Thanks for that, now all thats lacking is to get Steam to notice that i'm playing it.

Edit:

How do I get Doom 2 The Master Levels working in Doomsday? I've tried the code posted by self_slaughter but obviously modified it a bit so its now this:

..\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom -file -iwad .\doom2\doom2.wad -file .\master\wads\attack.wad +map map01 -width 1280 -height 1024
goto end

And all it does is go to a blank screen and the little white circle appears moves round a bit then stops and crashes the program. Any ideas?

Ok just downloaded doomsday 1.9.0 beta 6.9 and installed in into steamapps\common\doomsday

Got some similar issues to yours on first attempt but a few quick changes and a look into the command line options for doomsday and this is what I came up with.

Let me know if it works for you :P

@echo off
cls
echo บ 1) Attack บ
echo บ 2) Black Tower บ
echo บ 4) Canyon บ
echo บ 5) The Catwalk บ
echo บ 6) The Combine บ
echo บ 7) The Fistula บ
echo บ 8) The Garrison บ
echo บ 10) Titan Manor บ
echo บ 14) Paradox บ
echo บ 15) Subspace บ
echo บ 16) Subterra บ
if %m%==1 goto attack
if %m%==2 goto blacktwr
if %m%==3 goto bloodsea
if %m%==4 goto canyon
if %m%==5 goto catwalk
if %m%==6 goto combine
if %m%==7 goto fistula
if %m%==8 goto garrison
if %m%==9 goto geryon
if %m%==10 goto manor
if %m%==11 goto mephisto
if %m%==12 goto minos
if %m%==13 goto nessus
if %m%==14 goto paradox
if %m%==15 goto subspace
if %m%==16 goto subterra
if %m%==17 goto teeth
if %m%==18 goto ttrap
if %m%==19 goto vesperas
if %m%==20 goto virgil
if %m%==Q goto end
if %m%==q goto end

goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\attack.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\blacktwr.wad -warp map25 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\bloodsea.wad -warp map07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\canyon.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\catwalk.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\combine.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\fistula.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\garrison.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\geryon.wad -warp map08 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\manor.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\mephisto.wad -warp map07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\minos.wad -warp map05 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\nessus.wad -warp map07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\paradox.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\subspace.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\subterra.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\teeth.wad -warp map31 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\ttrap.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\vesperas.wad -warp map09 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\virgil.wad -warp map03 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

cls
echo.
echo.

Sorry for the late reply, I dont check the forums often :)

AtlasRapture
01-14-2011, 02:29 AM
Ok just downloaded doomsday 1.9.0 beta 6.9 and installed in into steamapps\common\doomsday

Got some similar issues to yours on first attempt but a few quick changes and a look into the command line options for doomsday and this is what I came up with.

Let me know if it works for you :P

@echo off
cls
echo บ 1) Attack บ
echo บ 2) Black Tower บ
echo บ 4) Canyon บ
echo บ 5) The Catwalk บ
echo บ 6) The Combine บ
echo บ 7) The Fistula บ
echo บ 8) The Garrison บ
echo บ 10) Titan Manor บ
echo บ 14) Paradox บ
echo บ 15) Subspace บ
echo บ 16) Subterra บ
if %m%==1 goto attack
if %m%==2 goto blacktwr
if %m%==3 goto bloodsea
if %m%==4 goto canyon
if %m%==5 goto catwalk
if %m%==6 goto combine
if %m%==7 goto fistula
if %m%==8 goto garrison
if %m%==9 goto geryon
if %m%==10 goto manor
if %m%==11 goto mephisto
if %m%==12 goto minos
if %m%==13 goto nessus
if %m%==14 goto paradox
if %m%==15 goto subspace
if %m%==16 goto subterra
if %m%==17 goto teeth
if %m%==18 goto ttrap
if %m%==19 goto vesperas
if %m%==20 goto virgil
if %m%==Q goto end
if %m%==q goto end

goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\attack.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\blacktwr.wad -warp map25 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\bloodsea.wad -warp map07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\canyon.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\catwalk.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\combine.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\fistula.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\garrison.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\geryon.wad -warp map08 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\manor.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\mephisto.wad -warp map07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\minos.wad -warp map05 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\nessus.wad -warp map07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\paradox.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\subspace.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\subterra.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\teeth.wad -warp map31 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\ttrap.wad -warp map01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\vesperas.wad -warp map09 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\virgil.wad -warp map03 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

cls
echo.
echo.

Sorry for the late reply, I dont check the forums often :)

Ok just tried it and still doesnt work. Though this time it doesnt get as far as the little circle. I press 1 then 'Created by self_slaughter for the steam forums' appears then that box closes and thats all it does.

self_slaughter
01-14-2011, 06:01 AM
sounds like its not finding doomsday then... if you used my batch file as is, make sure u have doomsday installed into steam\steamapps\common\doomsday

so the doomsday.exe would be at steam\steamapps\common\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe just to clarify a bit.

it should work fine after that.

AtlasRapture
01-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Yes that did it thanks. But level 20 it loads up Entryway (Level 1 on the original Doom 2.

self_slaughter
01-14-2011, 05:10 PM
ok that's weird, does the same on mine as well.

try this one (just changed the -warp map03 into just -warp 03, seems to of fixed it, didn't test every level though.

Strange how only one map decided it didn't like that format.. but anyway, glad its workin for ya (almost) :P

@echo off
cls
echo บ 1) Attack บ
echo บ 2) Black Tower บ
echo บ 4) Canyon บ
echo บ 5) The Catwalk บ
echo บ 6) The Combine บ
echo บ 7) The Fistula บ
echo บ 8) The Garrison บ
echo บ 10) Titan Manor บ
echo บ 14) Paradox บ
echo บ 15) Subspace บ
echo บ 16) Subterra บ
if %m%==1 goto attack
if %m%==2 goto blacktwr
if %m%==3 goto bloodsea
if %m%==4 goto canyon
if %m%==5 goto catwalk
if %m%==6 goto combine
if %m%==7 goto fistula
if %m%==8 goto garrison
if %m%==9 goto geryon
if %m%==10 goto manor
if %m%==11 goto mephisto
if %m%==12 goto minos
if %m%==13 goto nessus
if %m%==14 goto paradox
if %m%==15 goto subspace
if %m%==16 goto subterra
if %m%==17 goto teeth
if %m%==18 goto ttrap
if %m%==19 goto vesperas
if %m%==20 goto virgil
if %m%==Q goto end
if %m%==q goto end

goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\attack.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\blacktwr.wad -warp 25 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\bloodsea.wad -warp 07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\canyon.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\catwalk.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\combine.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\fistula.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\garrison.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\geryon.wad -warp 08 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\manor.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\mephisto.wad -warp 07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\minos.wad -warp 05 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\nessus.wad -warp 07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\paradox.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\subspace.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\subterra.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\teeth.wad -warp 31 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\ttrap.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\vesperas.wad -warp 09 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\virgil.wad -warp 03 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

cls
echo.
echo.

FooAtari
01-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Let's say you want to play Doom under OpenGL at high resolutions, and perhaps using Hi Res textures but have every other aspect of the game as close to the original as possible. What would be the best source port for this? I currently use GZDoom, and disable all advanced/added/new features to keep it as authentic as possible. But maybe there are source ports that have OpenGL support and are closer to the original game.
From what I have read I thought the answer might be GLBoom?

Edit

Went with GLBoom.

AtlasRapture
01-16-2011, 05:38 AM
ok that's weird, does the same on mine as well.

try this one (just changed the -warp map03 into just -warp 03, seems to of fixed it, didn't test every level though.

Strange how only one map decided it didn't like that format.. but anyway, glad its workin for ya (almost) :P

@echo off
cls
echo บ 1) Attack บ
echo บ 2) Black Tower บ
echo บ 4) Canyon บ
echo บ 5) The Catwalk บ
echo บ 6) The Combine บ
echo บ 7) The Fistula บ
echo บ 8) The Garrison บ
echo บ 10) Titan Manor บ
echo บ 14) Paradox บ
echo บ 15) Subspace บ
echo บ 16) Subterra บ
if %m%==1 goto attack
if %m%==2 goto blacktwr
if %m%==3 goto bloodsea
if %m%==4 goto canyon
if %m%==5 goto catwalk
if %m%==6 goto combine
if %m%==7 goto fistula
if %m%==8 goto garrison
if %m%==9 goto geryon
if %m%==10 goto manor
if %m%==11 goto mephisto
if %m%==12 goto minos
if %m%==13 goto nessus
if %m%==14 goto paradox
if %m%==15 goto subspace
if %m%==16 goto subterra
if %m%==17 goto teeth
if %m%==18 goto ttrap
if %m%==19 goto vesperas
if %m%==20 goto virgil
if %m%==Q goto end
if %m%==q goto end

goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\attack.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\blacktwr.wad -warp 25 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\bloodsea.wad -warp 07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\canyon.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\catwalk.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\combine.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\fistula.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\garrison.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\geryon.wad -warp 08 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\manor.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\mephisto.wad -warp 07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\minos.wad -warp 05 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\nessus.wad -warp 07 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\paradox.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\subspace.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\subterra.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\teeth.wad -warp 31 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\ttrap.wad -warp 01 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\vesperas.wad -warp 09 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

..\doomsday\bin\doomsday.exe -game jdoom.dll -basedir ..\doomsday\ -file .\doom2\doom2.wad .\master\wads\virgil.wad -warp 03 -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32
goto end

cls
echo.
echo.

Yeah level 20 works now thanks. I'll try every level when I get a chance and let you know.

jordan10la
08-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Does the trick to get a sourceport to launch by editing the .bat file still work? I just tried and it works when I launch the .bat alone but it won't work when I launch from Steam.

Hatake Kakashi
08-05-2011, 03:42 PM
It works,but Steam dosen't know that i'm running the game and dosen't change my status to In-Game.I'm using Skulltag and i edited my .bat file like in the OP.

FooAtari
08-06-2011, 04:11 AM
Steam doesn't track stats for the older id games. I'm not sure about the quake games off top of my head, but pretty sure it doesn't track those either. Probably because they don't use Steamworks.

Joan-Michele
08-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Perhaps you guys can help me with this odd problem. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041891)

Hatake Kakashi
08-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Steam doesn't track stats for the older id games. I'm not sure about the quake games off top of my head, but pretty sure it doesn't track those either. Probably because they don't use Steamworks.

And?

A lot of games don't use Steamworks and it says In-Game when i play them.

jordan10la
08-07-2011, 08:08 PM
It works,but Steam dosen't know that i'm running the game and dosen't change my status to In-Game.I'm using Skulltag and i edited my .bat file like in the OP.

Have you tried renaming the Skulltag executable to "DOSBox.exe"? It worked for me with zDoom.

Hatake Kakashi
08-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Have you tried renaming the Skulltag executable to "DOSBox.exe"? It worked for me with zDoom.

Didn't work.

FooAtari
08-08-2011, 02:26 AM
And?

A lot of games don't use Steamworks and it says In-Game when i play them.

Well I did say "probably" meaning I wasn't 100% sure.

Either way, Steam doesn't track the stats or show what your playing for the early id games.

Edit

Apologies, seems I got that wrong. I did not realise the Doom games had been updated and game time is now tracked.

hat
08-18-2011, 05:43 PM
I believe there was an update circa QuakeCon that added game-time tracking. :)

Ghostbreed
08-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Add Risen3D (http://risen3d.drdteam.org/) to the list too :D

Zoinker
11-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Ok, so I can't launch The Ultimate Doom through ZDoom from steam anymore. Whenever I play the game it launches DosBox instead.

I tried reinstalling with the latest version of ZDoom, following the instructions to the letter, but still it launches DosBox. I know I did it right because it works when I launch the modified .bat file directly.

EDIT:

Funny thing is, I have the same setup with Doom 2, and it works just fine.

Rellik66
11-12-2011, 04:13 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2046936

JNS215
04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I have been playing DOOM for over 15 years, having first experienced Ultimate DOOM in 1997 at age 7. I just can't get enough of the original DOOM games, so faithfulness to the original concept and behavior is extremely important to me. For this reason, I choose to use Chocolate DOOM. Besides being more stable than DOSBox, this port seems to limit frame-rate to a speed that feels like the original, as well as keeping almost every pre-existing bug/glitch in effect. Obviously, this poses as an issue for newer, larger and more complex MegaWADs such as Alien Vendetta. However if you are a Vanilla DOOM purist, look no further.

Glaice
05-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Doom Legacy is quite old and hasn't had a public update in years, I think.

SwiftyMagee
06-08-2012, 04:30 PM
You can add Zandronum (horrible name, I think...sounds like a pill for insomnia or something) to the list, which seems to be replacing Skulltag.

The main site is still under construction as of this date, but the forums are up.

THE T0PHER
10-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Check out the Brutal Doom mod with the Doom Metal replacement music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2JTRsaHqyI

Pretty awesome stuff.

Download GZDoom as the source port to play it and then download and use ZDLSharp as a quick and easy way to use your source ports and mods together.

Glaice
10-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Skulltag is no longer being developed/is obsolete, all but Carnevil (the webmaster of their site) have continued it on as a new port using the last version of ST as a base.

To add to the 2 posts above me, there is a stable 1.0 version out now.

http://www.zandronum.com

ZeroSignal
10-22-2012, 06:34 PM
I have been playing DOOM for over 15 years, having first experienced Ultimate DOOM in 1997 at age 7. I just can't get enough of the original DOOM games, so faithfulness to the original concept and behavior is extremely important to me. For this reason, I choose to use Chocolate DOOM. Besides being more stable than DOSBox, this port seems to limit frame-rate to a speed that feels like the original, as well as keeping almost every pre-existing bug/glitch in effect. Obviously, this poses as an issue for newer, larger and more complex MegaWADs such as Alien Vendetta. However if you are a Vanilla DOOM purist, look no further.

Alien Vendetta runs fine on Chocolate-Doom. Map20 might give you an issue if you noclip and look out at the whole mountain segment but that's it.

Glaice
11-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Why is Skulltag still on the list when it is no longer developed and replaced by Zandronum?

SwiftyMagee
12-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Why is Skulltag still on the list when it is no longer developed and replaced by Zandronum?

Well, the last time the OP made any edits to the list was back in August of 2007, so I have a feeling Skulltag will remain on the list and Zandronum will remain off of it until he comes back to this thread. Most people clicking on this thread will likely check the most recent posts, so it's not a huge deal.

Jacques Krige
01-20-2013, 01:30 AM
Could we test and add UQE Doom 3 ?

UQE Doom 3 (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3061649)