PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing for users who share a steam account

.:BiQ:.
08-06-2007, 07:37 PM
To be honest I thought it would be like this but it’s still a disappointment. I was hoping valve would implement a new friends system designed for multiple users who share a single steam account to make their own profiles, and add their own friends.

I share an account with three other people and being able to tell which friend is whose will be very confusing. Besides that were trying to decide who will get the community page to themselves, obviously we can’t all have a page… unlike I hoped. It’s a shame cause we all chipped into buying it a couple of years ago and now the majority of us are not going to get the full experience of steam. Oh well, I guess… :(

Matt
08-06-2007, 07:38 PM
yeah, except you're not supposed to share steam accounts.

the acct could get disabled.

Go_That_Guy
08-06-2007, 07:40 PM
yeah, except you're not supposed to share steam accounts.

the acct could get disabled.

Seriously. It's like complaining that Valve implements a new system to stop hackers. Okay, they're impeding someone, but...is it really a bad thing?

08-06-2007, 07:40 PM
I didn't know that, but c'mon.. many families share an account. It will be silly to make a single account for everyone. Not to mention pricey. :P

Hwkiller
08-06-2007, 07:41 PM
When you complete Steam's registration process, you create a Steam account ("Account"). Your Account may also include billing information you provide to us for the purchase of Subscriptions. You are solely responsible for all activity on your Account and for the security of your computer system. You may not reveal, share or otherwise allow others to use your password or Account. You agree that you are personally responsible for the use of your password and Account and for all of the communication and activity on Steam that results from use of your login name and password. You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account.

From the SSA.

08-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Reading the SSA this thread is obviously not gonna get anyway. :(

frostcircus
08-06-2007, 07:43 PM
i'm not ashamed to say that i let my brother play games on my computer. if it's an online game i even get him to change his name. (i also accept that i'm responsible for anything he does - and he doesn't know my password, of course)

i doubt valve would have a problem with that, but i also doubt that it's what the no-account-sharing is preventing.

YourFace
08-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Wait, you can let your brother play on your account. As long as you still live in the same house I believe.

Enigma776
08-06-2007, 07:56 PM
i always thought it was 1 account 1 user, which is why both of my brothers have there own accounts.

YourFace
08-06-2007, 08:01 PM
If you are using multiple PC's, then yes it's 1 person per account. But if you all are using the same PC, then you can share an account. Because you would be using the same account on 2 PC's.

Enigma776
08-06-2007, 08:02 PM
i am pretty sure the license is to the user not the computer though, which is why it's 1 account 1 user.

Satertek
08-06-2007, 08:06 PM
If you are using multiple PC's, then yes it's 1 person per account. But if you all are using the same PC, then you can share an account. Because you would be using the same account on 2 PC's.
"You may not reveal, share or otherwise allow others to use your password or Account."

Don't think they can make it much clearer.

Phil78
08-06-2007, 08:32 PM
it's perfectly acceptable for two people (brothers) who live in the same house to use the same account to play their games.

you don't need to buy a copy of halo per person if each of them wants to play halo, so why should they have to have to buy two counter-strikes if they each want to play counter-strike?

Go_That_Guy
08-06-2007, 08:36 PM
it's perfectly acceptable for two people (brothers) who live in the same house to use the same account to play their games.

you don't need to buy a copy of halo per person if each of them wants to play halo, so why should they have to have to buy two counter-strikes if they each want to play counter-strike?

Because they are two games under two completely separate license agreements?

"You may not reveal, share or otherwise allow others to use your password or Account."

When you find a "except with _____" somewhere in there, your side will be valid.

08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I doubt valve had family members in mind when they wrote that though..

Claan22
08-06-2007, 10:58 PM
I doubt valve had family members in mind when they wrote that though..

Valve doesn't want family members sharing one account.

They'd much rather have everyone in the family buy Half-Life 2.

Satertek
08-06-2007, 11:22 PM
It's the same for Battlefield 2 and (the soon to be released) Quake Wars. They've got persistant stats tied to the account. If you play on someone elses account, your stats are applied to theirs.