PDA

View Full Version : cant install service on vista

heugabel
08-07-2007, 05:49 AM
hello,

in vista its need to install steamservice but i become an error "require adminitrator rights"

when i start steam.exe with adminisrator rights its ok but my own settings for my own games are deleted.

what can i do?

Better|Off|Dead
08-07-2007, 05:57 AM
G'Day,

Try this:

Windows Vista Issues

(I might move this to the bug forum)

Cheers. ;)

Frapl
08-07-2007, 05:58 AM
I have the same problem.

"Install service" opens the UAC dialog to grant permission, but if I click "OK" the next dialog says it needs admin rights to install the service...

Vista Ultimate 32bit, UAC on

PsX2X
08-07-2007, 05:58 AM
same problem here :(

Communist0
08-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Does it work with UAC disabled?

Gectou4
08-07-2007, 07:03 AM
you can install the service with admin privilege,
then you may have to enable the service in 'safe' service of your UAC

Erroneus
08-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Works with UAC disabled, make sure you see the service install box.

The_Mega_ZZTer
08-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Try running Steam as administrator using the right-click menu on a shortcut or steam.exe. It should be able to install the service then, and you can run Steam normally from then on.

Frapl
08-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Try running Steam as administrator using the right-click menu on a shortcut or steam.exe. It should be able to install the service then, and you can run Steam normally from then on.

No, if I do this the service seems to be installed, but does not run and it cannot be started by hand. When I start Steam normal, not as admin, the dialog which wants to install the service still pops up. However I can ignore it by clicking "cancel" and Steam starts normal - but this "Install service" dialog is annoying.

But I hope, because this is a beta, Valve is able to fix it.

Ohax
08-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Same problem...

Service is installed and he can't run.

When i start steam he want alway install UAC... And... Fail !!!

Vista 32, Home premium, UAC ON.

Sorry for my bad english.

Impulse Gaming
08-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Turn UAC off first off. You don't need it if you know what you're doing. Second hold Shift and right click Steam.exe and Run as Administrator.

martinoo
08-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Here a bunch of things that might help you:
- you need admin privileges to install the service
- the service installs to \Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe, make sure that file exists and has a valid digital signature.
- under Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services should be a new service called Steam Client Service. This service should be running while Steam is running.
- Once the service is installed, don't run Steam.exe with admin privileges anymore. That isn't needed.
- you can try to reinstall the service running from a command prompt "\Program Files\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe /uninstall" and then SteamService.exe /register. The command prompt needs to be started with admin rights.

Let me know if anything of the above helped you.

Frapl
08-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Here a bunch of things that might help you:
- you need admin privileges to install the service
- the service installs to \Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe, make sure that file exists and has a valid digital signature.
- under Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services should be a new service called Steam Client Service. This service should be running while Steam is running.
- Once the service is installed, don't run Steam.exe with admin privileges anymore. That isn't needed.
- you can try to reinstall the service running from a command prompt "\Program Files\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe /uninstall" and then SteamService.exe /register. The command prompt needs to be started with admin rights.

Let me know if anything of the above helped you.

OK, the service was listed, but not running while Steam is running. When I start Steam it always asks to install the service. The EXE has a digital signature.

Now I uninstalled it like you said, but I do not get ist installed again. The command prompt is running as admin.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam>SteamService.exe /register
Error: Failed to get copy SteamService.exe

Any ideas?

*edit*
I startet Steam without admin rights, clicked on "Install service", the UAC dialog popped up, I granted the access and then an error message shows up the install of the service needs admin rights. BUT the service is now installed again (even Steam is not started as admin only by grating access through UAC).

The "Install service" dialog appears every time I start Steam so I have to click "Cancel" to get into Steam - otherwise Steam is closed because of the failure of the service install.

The service is only running if I start Steam as admin and the "Install service" dialog is not showing up. When I start Steam normal and do not try to install the service the service is not running while Steam is running.

srdk
08-08-2007, 05:15 AM
Same issue here, and "GameOverlayUI.exe" freezes when i start a game.

(vista hp x64)

yang
08-08-2007, 05:26 AM
The "Install service" dialog appears every time I start Steam so I have to click "Cancel" to get into Steam - otherwise Steam is closed because of the failure of the service install.
__________________________________________________ ____

yes same here.
is this service needed to work correct on vista?
because only canceling this lets my mouse binds active...

Ajaxkron
08-08-2007, 05:29 AM
This and the noticeable loss of in-game performance are the only issues I'm having with the beta.
I'm quite confident that VALVe will resolve these issues, though.

nights777
08-08-2007, 06:52 AM
At least you guys can run Steam on Vista. It just freezes for me.

martinoo
08-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Frapl, that was really helpful. One more thing, when you run SteamService.exe /register from a comand prompt, can you try that with the SteamService.exe thats in you Steam/bin folder. not the one in common files/steam. let me know what error message you get.

Frapl
08-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Frapl, that was really helpful. One more thing, when you run SteamService.exe /register from a comand prompt, can you try that with the SteamService.exe thats in you Steam/bin folder. not the one in common files/steam. let me know what error message you get.

OK, here is the result. I hope it helps.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam>SteamService.exe /uninstall

D:\Games\Steam\bin>SteamService.exe /register
Error: Failed to set privileges for Steam service.

*edit*
I forgot to mention the service is installed even after this error message. Maybe this also resulting the error dialog when clicking "Install service".

martinoo
08-08-2007, 09:40 AM
"Error: Failed to set privileges for Steam service"

aha. let me figure that out :)

Forsythia
08-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Having the same issue here. Steam just freezes when I confirm to install the SteamService, not even a box pops up. This still happens when I disable UAC. And, I cannot find the Steam folder in Program Files\Common Files\.

Could this be because I don't have Steam installed on the primary drive? I would like to know this before I start the tedious process of backing up and restoring all games.

martinoo
08-08-2007, 02:26 PM
There is a known problem with the Vista service on non-english Vista installations. We are working on it. Thanks for all your feedback.

Forsythia
08-08-2007, 02:35 PM
There is a known problem with the Vista service on non-english Vista installations. We are working on it. Thanks for all your feedback.

Well, that could be the problem indeed (running Dutch version of Vista). At least I can still play my games when I click the 'Cancel' button when it prompts to install the service.

yang
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
that s it! because I have the mentioned problem too, running german vista, but no problems with the english vista of my gf! glad to hear that it s gonna be fixed! thank you!:D

Ohax
08-09-2007, 05:24 AM
I have a french Vista.

*Ohax is waiting update*

Frapl
08-10-2007, 12:58 AM
After Steam has updated itself the problem seems to be resolved on Vista German. :D

SamorNL
08-10-2007, 04:12 AM
after the client updated this morning, the problem seems to have been corrected here too (Dutch version of Vista).

By the way, what exactly is the service doing?

martinoo
08-10-2007, 09:20 AM
The Service helps when you are installing/updating/uninstalling games under Vista. Some of these actions require admin privileges but we dont want Steam to run with admin rights the whole time.