PDA

View Full Version : Self-Ilum Textures shine through walls?

PWNZOR123
08-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I tried looking around to see if anybody else has had this problem but it didnt look like anybody did. Every time I try to to put just about any self-illuminated texture in my map, you can see it from anywhere else on the map - even through walls. Other people have played my map with different computers also and they can see them too. Is there some easy way to stop this? Am I just missing something?

Angry Beaver
08-17-2007, 10:22 PM
maybe. what textures are you using, and whats the vmt look like if its custom.

PWNZOR123
08-22-2007, 02:50 AM
I am using this self illuminated texture as a decal: effects/blueblackflash

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/THEPWNZOR/?action=view&current=cs1.jpg
This is what it looks like through stuff
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/THEPWNZOR/cs2.jpg?t=1187776137
And this is it normal. I dont know what the deal is. And trust me, it looks exactly the same in the game.

fourtecks
08-22-2007, 10:09 AM
that material is meant for a sprite effect. It is defined to ignore Z which will draw it over everything else. If you want to use it w/o the ignorez parameter you need to make a custom vmt file.

-=GambiT=-
08-22-2007, 11:04 AM
create a new text file, copy whats in that VMT and paste into the text file you just made. delete the ignore para. and save the file as, lets say it bluesprite.vmt name it bluesprite_1.vmt or something. just create a new VMT and have it use the same texture. understand what i'm saying?

Angry Beaver
08-22-2007, 10:39 PM
quite simply jsut set its render property to worldglow that will allow the glow to be clipped and hidden behind brushes and static props.

PWNZOR123
08-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Hey, thanks for your suggestions guys. I understand what you are all saying, but I am running into a couple problems. As for finding the source file for the sprite image, I am not really sure where it is located. I don't know where hammer stores it's default textures and sprites and stuff. I did searches and stuff but still couldnt find it, so I can't exactly go copying it. As for changing the render mode to worldglow, my problem is that I am using the sprite effect as a decal, so to alter the render properties I have to tie it to an entity, and then the decal goes away. Can anybody think of any way to get around or solve these problems?

Angry Beaver
08-25-2007, 09:16 PM
wait what, a decal?

just use env_sprite and ensure that after you pick the material you add .spr at the end.

PWNZOR123
08-25-2007, 10:14 PM
no, making it an actual entity sprite won't work. If I do that, not only does it not sit flat upon the surface, it just kinda acts weird, and most importantly, you can still see it through walls. If anybody knew how to access the actual files I might be able to make it work just as a decal...

Angry Beaver
08-26-2007, 01:33 PM
retro fitted for decal use. Just save that into a .vmt and use that instead of the other file and be sure to distribute it with you map.

"LightmappedGeneric"
{
"$basetexture" "effects/blueblackflash"
"$decal" 1
"$additive" 1
"$decalscale" 0.1
}

PWNZOR123
08-28-2007, 01:58 PM
sweet, that worked pretty well, thanks alot beaver. Initially The texture was way small, so i changed decalscale to 1. One last little problem I am having, the decal is slightly transparent or faded compared to the original, is there something I can do to change that?

Angry Beaver
08-28-2007, 08:31 PM
not really, its because the decal way of rendering doesn't have as many different render modes to use.