PDA

View Full Version : optimizing hammer

Samba Pa Ti
08-18-2007, 09:12 AM
is there anyway i can optimize hammer editor when compiling to utilize my cpus more effectively (and not lockup my computer) ive upgraded to quadcores (from a p4) and compiling still takes the same amount of time, and it locks up each core to 100% whilst running sluggishly. i read there was some alternate programs for running vis/rad/etc but i dont know whats best to use for Source.

any help appreciated.

riley247
08-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Hammer has kinda a low priority compiler so use a third party one or set the process priority higher.

Kev_Boy
08-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Low priority? It's an extremely high priority!

Almost any other program even when it's knee-deep in calculating stuff won't slow your computer down as much as Hammer does.

If you're willing to make the compile take longer but not have your system lock-up, you might be able to set vbps/vvis/vrad to a normal priority yourself once they're running in Task manager but don't take my word on it...

Samba Pa Ti
08-18-2007, 12:51 PM
well im glad you sortof agree with me, i was extremely peed off when i wrote my first post, i wish hammer would automatically start with the priority set to low so it wouldnt hog resources (it still uses 100% unless there is somthing else going on, like a web browser for instance), i could do with finding a decent 3rd party compiler but i dont know where to look, anyone have a suggestion for one they have used ?

riley247
08-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Sigh,wrong wrong wrong! It is a low priority compiler...*TIP* Use a third party one.
Plus third party compilers sometimes give more quality and lighting to the map :)

Third Party Compiler Features:

Faster at compiler small/big maps
Much more quality in maps
Uses less CPU Usage

haymaker
08-18-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't get how you say the tools are running low, maybe hammer itself is, but the compilers lock my machine out completely ( except friends for some reason ).

Also some 3rd party tools are known to cause issues with props crashing the game and odd lighting, I find Valve's to be the most stable. I have a 5mb map that compiles in 4 min 40 sec so I'm not complaining there either.

Kev_Boy
08-19-2007, 03:16 AM
I tend to agree, you would expect Valve to know what they're doing and be in possession of all the facts.

Bluestrike
08-19-2007, 08:42 AM
when you ctrl+alt+del and select the vrad (or vvis) process right click it and select affinity, and you can diable one of the cores so it won't use it.

Ofcourse the compile will take 1/4th longer then, but you can work in other applications properly, maybe even play games if the free core can handle em and you have enough ram, altough I haven't tried that yet.

Samba Pa Ti
08-19-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah i did that, still ran really slow and its beside the point, and when i was saying about the priority i meant when you right click the process in the task manager and select the priority, it should automatically be on low...

i wonder how valve compiled maps for cs source (like italy and nuke) id love to know what compiler/computer compiled those maps and how long it took...

Varsity
08-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't know if the tools are optimised for quad core yet?

i wonder how valve compiled maps for cs source (like italy and nuke) id love to know what compiler/computer compiled those maps and how long it took...

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/VMPI

Since every computer in their office (including the receptionist's) chips in, full map compiles only take a few seconds.

Bluestrike
08-19-2007, 04:15 PM
The tools support multiple cores, wel except maybe not when using -statipcproppoly's command for vrad, because that seems faster on my old pc.

Samba Pa Ti
08-19-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't know if the tools are optimised for quad core yet?

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/VMPI

Since every computer in their office (including the receptionist's) chips in, full map compiles only take a few seconds.

that explains why it runs like garbage for me then. thx : )

1nsane
08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
that explains why it runs like garbage for me then. thx : )

I use WMPI on all my computers even the laptops to help me compile maps... Speeds everything up a lot, just took me a millennium or two to figure out how to get it working... with all the dependencies and crap... meh