PDA

View Full Version : Optimize Maps - How & Why

ABrookes
08-18-2007, 11:45 PM
So I found a great site for optimizing maps, but it only took me so far. My compile time split in half, but I can't solve my low frame rates in this one area. I used "sv_cheats 1" "cl_showfps 1" & "+showbudget" which told me my dynamic light rendering was hitting upwards of 15 ms... only I don't have any dynamic lights in the map. The other huge offender was world rendering, but I sort of expect that on this map. Any suggestions or tips based on these findings?

http://www.student.ru.nl/rvanhoorn/optimization.php?chapter=intro

Angry Beaver
08-19-2007, 01:13 PM
you may not think you have any dynamic lighting, however, if your lights have names or have a pattern se they can be considered dynamic. Theres other types of light that are dynamic untill you uncheck a flag. light_dynamic is not the only way to punch up your dynamic light.

Ultima V|RUZ
08-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Isn't this thread in the Level design section?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588560

Great site and everything, but you don't need to spam it around and then NOT respond to your own thread...

Bluestrike
08-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Do you have a flashing light or any other kind of light effect that casts on models is a dynamic light on the showbudget window.
(I doubt naming a light is, or naming a light doesn't effect fps in any way as far as I can tell)

Also fire has the option to cast a flickering light in care you are using any of those, altough I'm under the impression those don't work.

gulliwog
08-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Beaver, what do you mean when you say lights have a "pattern"? For lighting all my inside areas I have just been using the "light" entity, to keep it easy and cheap, but I didn't know these lights could be considered dynamic.

The tutorial is a good one, Brookes, I have read all this individually but i think it the first time that I saw it all resembled together. A must for all serious beginners.

GuLLiWoG