PDA

View Full Version : Custom Texture issues?

sepulverture
09-18-2007, 02:28 PM
I downloaded a few texture packs from halfwit-2.com's texture page, and put them in the c:/...materials folder like the instructions said, and they were all in vmt vtf format, so no issues there, but when i tried to use them in hammer they all showed up in the texture browser as just the purple and black checker textures that I've seen before in maps that have problems of some sort. Why is it doing this? Apparently these textures have been used before, some of them were used to the halflife 2 carnival for kids mod that Wisemx and those guys were working on. Any clue? Any help? Anything would be appreciated.

Also, i wasn't totally sure if this should go in the art/sound forum, or in the mapping forum, so I just went ahead and posting it here first, rather than double posting on both boards.

Thanks everyone.

-=GambiT=-
09-18-2007, 02:57 PM
check the vmt's. more specifically look at where the "basetexture" is supposed to be.

heres an example of what somebody else with the same problem done wrong.

"basetexture" "gambit/metal/walltexture"

that texture/vmt location would be "materials/gambit/metal"

with me so far?

some ppl who pack their textures have the pack named "gambit" and simply compress or add to gambit.rar. now when upzipping to the materials folder it would make it "materials/gambit/gambit". when in fact it should be "materials/gambit".

check your base texture location in one of the vmt's it will tell you where it needs to be. the purple and black texture in the browser means it found the vmts but the vtf's are not where they are supposed to be.

Note* in cncr's texture pack alot of his dont show up because in the vmt's he has "/" in front of the texture location(which shouldnt be there). his are "/cncr/metal" when it should be "cncr/metal". theres a couple of things it could be. just check the vmt's basetexture location first.

sepulverture
09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks a lot, all of the textures that i've placed in the materials folder are form cncr's texture pack. I will do what you suggested when I get home from work, and will post the results, or other questions.

thanks again.

Frodo Greenman
09-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, good call Gambit - I'll try and update the instructions for all textures downloads.

-=GambiT=-
09-19-2007, 08:40 AM
no problem

sepulverture
09-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks a lot for the help, a lot of the textures are showing up now. I just need to find the ones that still aren't showing up and put them in the proper folders.

Thanks again, major help.

-=GambiT=-
09-20-2007, 02:01 PM
dont mention it. the textures that still arent showing up i'm willing to bet are the ones with that extra "/" in front of the basetexture location. check that delete it and exit out of the vmt, choose save changes and it should work.

he has the right location just the extra "/" is messing it up

Example:

"$basetexture" "/GambiT/GambiTisawesome_ohyea"

should be:

"$basetexture" "GambiT/GambiTisawesome_ohyea"

sepulverture
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM
How can i view the vmt then? I'm sorry... i have no clue on how to go about that, I'm extremely new to really messing with custom textures.

-=GambiT=-
09-20-2007, 03:17 PM
double click the vmt and if prompted to select a program to open it with open it with notepad.