PDA

View Full Version : (Bluetooth) headset separate from main sound

So_Far
10-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi,

I prefer to play on my nice 5.1 setup. This makes using a headset with TF2 for example a bit of an issue. Because I havent found that steam/source/tf2 has the option to have voice come over a different device then sound effects/music.
The minimum shoudl be to have the option to select a different device for the microphone then the output. That way i could set the input to my bluetooth headset. But best would be if voicechat had the option to come over a separate device.

Cheers
SoFar

webrunner
10-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Yes, I believe this should be a major- this should be a major priority- make it so we can set a different sound device for voice communications, PLEASE.

Without it, we're still stuck in the voice comm dark ages.

So_Far
10-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks webrunner for joining the cause :)
LEts hope lots of other people reply to this thread so that Valve hears our voices loud and clear!

Btw, I *LOVE* the way it sounds in team fortress 2, like how for example when you go under water, the VOIP is also filtered to make it sound under water
or when your in some room it has the same reverberation as everything else in that room. Some very very advanced stuff that not a lot of games are doing right now.
I wonder how the PS3/XBOX version of TF2 will implement that since they generally do seperate the voip to a different device (bluetooth headset or the xbox 360 craptestic plugin thingie ;-)

Jez the Pie
10-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Here's a possible workaround:
Start
Control Panel
Sounds and Audio Devices
Audio tab
Change "Sound recording" default device to be the headset
For good measure, do this for both the boxes under "voice" too.

Hope this helps (make sure you have the volume set high too)

So_Far
10-10-2007, 01:37 AM
no thats not a work around jez because the other players voices will still go over the main speakers.

Big Pappa
10-10-2007, 02:06 AM
So, you mean putting voice input AND output through headphones, and all the other sounds through the speakers. so 2 different OUTPUT devices?

I don't see this happening, ever, on any game.

Laxe
10-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I was thinking the same thing! I think it can only be done via TF2 itself so via a patch. After playing Warhawk on my PS3 where using a BT headset only routes the voice coms through the headset whilst the in-game sfx and music are still pumped out through my speakers.

That's the way it should be imo - or at least give us an option.

amnesiasoft
10-10-2007, 11:28 PM
So, you mean putting voice input AND output through headphones, and all the other sounds through the speakers. so 2 different OUTPUT devices?

I'm retty sure I've seen it before in at least one game, and I know the xinput library just uses a DirectSound buffer for audio output on each headset. It's neither impossible, nor overly difficult to do such a thing, so why would it never happen in any game?

LocoRocker
10-10-2007, 11:33 PM
and you can set it up the same way on the 360 too. so it can't be that hard to implement the feature on the pc

Dwarden
10-11-2007, 02:40 AM
i agree that ability use different soundcard / device for VOICE communition is great idea ...

it would be optimal to choose both input and output device for VOICE separately
e.g. voiceINPUT some BT headset mic voiceOUTPUT great soundcard
or voiceINPUT soundcard #2 and voiceOUTPUT soundcard #1
etc

i definitely support this idea

Samba Pa Ti
10-11-2007, 03:16 AM
its possible to do with teamspeak or ventrilo or even xfire...

its a very good addition being able to use the ingame voice over a USB (or bluetooth) headset, i prefer to have my voice comms over a seperate channel it is much easier to hear/understand people when they are not mixed into the main sound, and also makes it more private, i dont want everyone hearing what im talking about, even if it is game based.

it would be optimal to choose both input and output device for VOICE separately
e.g. voiceINPUT some BT headset mic voiceOUTPUT great soundcard
or voiceINPUT soundcard #2 and voiceOUTPUT soundcard #1
etc

i think using 2 seperate systems just for voice would just confuse things, having the game sound thru speakers and voice over a usb/bluetooth headset is enough

Dwarden
10-11-2007, 04:15 PM
it's not confusing if You using multiple devices already ...
some soundcards are better on input, some on output and so on ...

communication is one of most important things for MP gaming so if this is ignored then i really don't know what to say

Samba Pa Ti
10-12-2007, 04:17 AM
yes but why would you want to wear a headset (with a speaker in your ear) and a mic to then have the voices of other people comming from your speakers ?

sure it should be possible, but might as well get a desktop mic if you want to do that (its already possible).

Jez the Pie
10-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Meh. I do that, just without the speaker in my ear (it's one of those ones with both an orange jack for speaker and a pink jack for mic, I just hang it round my neck and have the microphone forward.
Sorted ^_^

And desktop mics are really awkward to use.
There isn't the option for multiple devices, I don't think. Not for it to do all that. Looks like it'll have to be all sound through headset or all sound through speakers (or possibly both) - none of the Steam games I've seen have the option to split outputs (and nor, in fact, do any other games I've seen at all. Just Ventrilo, a dedicated voice chat thing)

Samba Pa Ti
10-12-2007, 01:48 PM
none of the Steam games I've seen have the option to split outputs (and nor, in fact, do any other games I've seen at all. Just Ventrilo, a dedicated voice chat thing)

thats what this thread is about, asking for support for multiple outputs.

Dirty B
10-14-2007, 06:42 PM
I use a USB headset. The one with a single headphone. With teamspeak it works great. All voice communication comes through the headset and speaker sounds go through the speakers.

At least give us the option.

Cyberblood
10-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I just ran with this problem a few days ago, since i bought a set of 5.1 logitech speakers and they sound great, the think is im stuck with onboard sound and i have no space left for a Mic.

So o got this idea, since a have a 360 controller to use on my pc (and i dont own a 360) i got the 360 headset.
it works great with teamspeak but i will love to have an option to chose a separate audio device to use with voice, if the xbox360 and PS3 can do it, i dont see why the pc cannot, it might be harder to do be it must be possible.

FuzztheD
10-17-2007, 03:53 PM
world of warcraft has this option and i love it.. I hate having to listen to voice thru my speakers, hard to pick out

Flackrum
10-17-2007, 10:34 PM
I just wanted to chime in that I'd love this option.

Blickety
11-08-2007, 01:48 PM
I would really enjoy this as well.

tetristhemovie
12-07-2007, 11:40 AM
So yeah. MS's games for windows live is able to do it.
Since valve has been adding features from the ms live feature set, I'd think this should at least merit some consideration from the programmers...

TheAngryIntern
04-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I know this is super old, but I just discovered this thread, trying to get my Xbox360 wireless headset for windows to work with my computer. I know you can have the voicechat output differently than the main game because I have it set up that way in Ventrilo when I play WoW. The game sounds come out of my speakers, and the people talking in Vent only comes through the earpiece.

Jez the Pie
04-15-2008, 04:50 PM
The XBox 360 headset, I assume, appears as a different audio device.
Ventrilo can use it separately because a) it's a separate program to WoW, and b) Ventrilo has settings allowing you to choose which audio controller to use.

With Steam games, on the other hand, the voice chat is in the same program as the game itself, and the game uses the default audio controller - it doesn't let you choose between them.

tetristhemovie
09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
You know, now that the Orange Box has been ported to X360, I can't understand why Valve still hasn't added the feature to the PC version. The 360 uses APIs that are compatible with windows, so coding is a non-issue. And since the Source engine does all its own sound-mixing, there's no conflict issues, either.
I mean, seriously. They added 360 controller support to TF2, which probably took more recoding than to redirect sound output. I would've rather had selectable sound output over controller support. I doubt very many people even USE that feature.

gimpymoo
09-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I support this being added as a feature.

I also have a seperate device for chat and another for game audio.

I am surprised that more dont do it that way to be honest.

Oh Spartacus
09-30-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm reviving this, because I know there are a ton of people who want this. Please throw us a bone, Valve.

abrasion
11-17-2008, 05:40 PM

Except Microsoft and Sony can both do it for their 'inferior' consoles.
I have a bluetooth headset and I just want other players voices and my voice to go through that, NO game sounds in it.

If MS and Sony can do it PLUS Microsoft support it as a seperate sound channel in Windows - how hard can it be?

EDIT:
It's not even a damned feature, as far as I'm concerned, voice communication is broken without it working this way, it's just crappy.

Instead I have to buy a very high quality headphone / set in one so I can get clear game noises and still hear people talking to me.

abrasion
11-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Also, I'm very surprised this thread doesn't have more replies! I figured this would be an ongoing issue for a lot of end users.

Ev3nt H0riz0n
11-17-2008, 10:49 PM
I remember making a post about this much earlier. This is primarily why I dont talk in servers and use ventrilo with my buddies instead. By the way with ventrilo I can have a different voice output device than the game sound output so it works great. I use an Xbox 360 headset that has only one speaker to talk like this. Isolating chat output in its own channel should have been an in-game option a long time ago.
PS: I hait when others around me listenin in on my conversations or hear some of the dumb ♥♥♥♥ said online. Imagine if something like Halo matchmaking went through speakers only.

5UB
11-18-2008, 02:26 AM
So many guests? What is happening here? :|

abrasion
11-18-2008, 07:33 AM
I remember making a post about this much earlier. This is primarily why I dont talk in servers and use ventrilo with my buddies instead. By the way with ventrilo I can have a different voice output device than the game sound output so it works great. I use an Xbox 360 headset that has only one speaker to talk like this. Isolating chat output in its own channel should have been an in-game option a long time ago.

That's the thing though - it's possible but no one has done it and I have absoloutely no idea why, it seems so straightforward!

shadowcode
11-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I'd very much like this as well. I hope that they implemented voice communication as a shared library as part of Steam, rather than per-game in the Source engine.

abrasion
11-19-2008, 04:02 PM
I'd very much like this as well. I hope that they implemented voice communication as a shared library as part of Steam, rather than per-game in the Source engine.

Absoloutely agreed

Ev3nt H0riz0n
11-21-2008, 02:12 PM
For those that disagree or think that this feature is useless I would like to remind them that THIS (http://www.provu.co.uk/imgs/snom_headset_monaural_new.jpg) is a headset and THESE (http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/otto-digital-headset.jpg) are simply headphones with a mike. The difference is that headsets are meant for voice communication only. So game sounds and voice through headsets will sound like indistinguishable garbage especially since there is only one speaker!

abrasion
11-21-2008, 07:03 PM
For those that disagree or think that this feature is useless I would like to remind them that THIS (http://www.provu.co.uk/imgs/snom_headset_monaural_new.jpg) is a headset and THESE (http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/otto-digital-headset.jpg) are simply headphones with a mike. The difference is that headsets are meant for voice communication only. So game sounds and voice through headsets will sound like indistinguishable garbage especially since there is only one speaker!

To be honest dude, the only people who would disagree would have to have never used XBL or PSN, because once you've used a system with a seperate voice channel you don't wanna go back :(

abrasion
11-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Also: Can we get any comments from Valve on this, is it being considered at any point at all?

Sometimes PC gaming is so far forward and advanced and other times it's schooled by a PS2, PS3, Xbox 1 and Xbox 360..... wow.

gimpymoo
11-22-2008, 07:34 PM
ANY RESPONSE VALVE?

I'll raise a support ticket anyway.

EDIT:

Ticket SENT

Are there any plans to implement a system into STEAMS VOIP settings to allow the user to select a SEPERATE DEVICE for VOIP CAPTURE AND PLAYBACK?

For example, I have a monoaural headset and a desktop microphone.

I would like the Microphone on my desk to record my voice BUT Have ALL VOIP conversations relayed through the headset and not my speakers as it sounds a complete mess.

Sure, I could use a gaming headset but that is silly when you have a deecent speaker system.

This thread on your forum explains the issue:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607436

Left 4 Dead is a complete mess when youve got gunfire AND VOIP coming over the same speaker.

Looking forward to your reply.

Many Thanks.

abrasion
11-23-2008, 03:14 AM
Thanks dude.

abrasion
11-30-2008, 03:23 AM
HELLO ...

abrasion
11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
This isn't specific to bluetooth by the way.

abrasion
12-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Anyone else?

Ev3nt H0riz0n
12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
This post needs to be plastered to the top of the Suggestions/Ideas forum!

Ahzie
12-07-2008, 01:43 AM
gimpymoo, lol i just sent a ticket in about this to... have you got a reply yet?

abrasion
12-07-2008, 04:48 PM
You damn right, pin it up there :(

abrasion
12-08-2008, 03:52 AM
No replies yet dude.

darkeye11547
12-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Adding my support for this issue as well, I'll submit a ticket to push it too.

Valve!

I have a set of 5.1 headphones, but I like using my desktop speakers when I'm not gaming. My default sound device is my desktop speakers, but I have to change that to the headphones every time I want to game.

wtf?

magicmissile89
12-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I support this idea. OP you need to edit your first post and put down the names of supporters on a list. :)

abrasion
12-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks people - good work.

gimpymoo
12-11-2008, 03:58 AM
My appologies for not replying sooner peeps.

Here is the reply I got from STEAM:

Hello James,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

These are not currently options in any Source games. I will forward the information to the proper team to see if an updated could modify this situation.

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Mmmmm - Dont know what to make of that really - LOL.

Lunarbunny
12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
I agree. It'd be nice if Steam voice chat and Source games would use the input AND output device specified under Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Voice (on XP) for voice communication.

Steam voice chat is a step in the right direction, with the input specified this way, but its output is still the device under the Playback tab.

control101
12-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I'd also like to see this implemented in all games. I loved Halo2 on Xbox, game sounds coming through surround and voice chat through headset. I just picked up a Logitech ClearChat Pro and they are pretty sweety for the price. I only wish they were single ear though (hard to find them type).

Mason
12-13-2008, 12:01 PM
I REALLY want to be able to do this. I like using my surround sound but I don;t want the voices going though it.

alexei_net
12-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I REALLY want to be able to do this. I like using my surround sound but I don;t want the voices going though it.So do I.
Please make it possible, Valve!

abrasion
12-16-2008, 03:35 PM
My appologies for not replying sooner peeps.

Here is the reply I got from STEAM:

Mmmmm - Dont know what to make of that really - LOL.

Sounds like it hasn't even crossed their minds :/

abrasion
12-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Valve need to add this asap :(

mriguy
12-18-2008, 01:32 AM
If this is implemented, I would like a setting that allows users to attenuate the background sound effects on the main speakers an assignable percentage when the microphone button is pressed.

abrasion
12-18-2008, 09:42 PM
I reckon it would all be based on 'pickup volume' or sensitivity volume or whatever it's called

of course push to talk too :/

Ev3nt H0riz0n
12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
There wouldn't happen to be a third party means of separating a Source game's audio output now would there?

abrasion
12-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Ventrilo might do it? or are you being sarcastic? :(

abrasion
12-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Also Ventrilo is fidgety, it would be better supported in game.

Ev3nt H0riz0n
12-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Ventrilo might do it? or are you being sarcastic? :(

I was talking about a program that goes into the source game and isolates the voice chat so you can put it on its own output device. Not a separate voice client dammit!

abrasion
12-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Oh - but that might show up as a hack to valve - plus they should just add it themselves :/

Swatseal
12-26-2008, 09:12 PM
I would love this in an upcoming update. I would even keep my wireless Microsoft headset!

abrasion
12-29-2008, 06:54 AM
I noticed it's been asked so many times, maybe they are aware people want it but simply can't do it :/

Ev3nt H0riz0n
01-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I don't see how it can't be done since Game Volume and Voice Receive Volume can already be adjusted independently from each other indicating that they are already their own separate channel. Now if Valve could put the Voice on its own output...

VenomXII
01-02-2009, 12:57 AM
I am also looking for this option, it can be done, i know this from other games that have this option. please Valve make this a priority!!

death_hawk
01-02-2009, 02:27 AM
It's even worse in L4D because the sound of the gunfire is RIDICULOUSLY loud compared to voice chat.

With Level 2 Rifle firing I can't hear squat.

Most voice based games already have an option of what sound device to bind to for in game sounds and voice.
PLEASE! Implement this into Source games too.

turley714
01-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I want to say that I really want a feature like this too. It would be great to select a different output device for in game communication

Sydonia
02-16-2009, 01:56 PM
I want this too. I have turned off voice chat until this gets added.

For the record I am not using a bluetooth headset.

Svenstaro
03-08-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm adding my vote here. At least we got the ability to set a different voice input than the main input.

PLEASE also give us the ability to set a different voice output apart from the main audio output. I guess 50% of today's used headsets come with USB so it is not an unreasonable request that only affects a small percentage of people.

caffy
03-08-2009, 11:42 PM
This would be an awesome feature. I don't have a setup that could benefit from this anymore since I just use surround sound headphones with a mic and everything is moving through one device, but I've been in situations where this would be incredibly useful.

/signed

toejam316
03-09-2009, 12:01 AM
I'd definitely like to see voice seperated from the actual game sounds, it'd add a lot to clarity in game, and it's definitely preferable when I play Xbox Live games.

BombrMan
03-10-2009, 04:15 AM
When I use vent I have things set up this way. The main reason is that it allows me to hear voice chat clearly even in crazy battles. Otherwise voice can be drowned out by game sound at a critical moment.

Chaos_Inbound
05-09-2009, 07:01 AM
This should be a top priority. Its hard to have a stategy when guynfire is going off and the teammates voice is coming through the speakers. Also though sometimes its hard to hear people normally let alone in the middle of a battle.

Clairvoyant81
05-09-2009, 08:44 AM
/signed
I have this exact same issue using a headset (Bluetooth for me, doesn't really matter, though). Skype, Mumble etc are all capable of using a different audio device for voice playback. Please add this into Steam, too.
Having voice and game sounds coming through the same speakers is a bit of a mess.

Chaos_Inbound
05-11-2009, 03:05 PM
must have feature please add it valve.

AndreasChristod
05-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Oooo like what they have on Xbox Live. I like it. I like it a lot.

iKougar
06-01-2009, 10:48 PM
This would be an awesome idea, i have a pair of surround sound headphones (tritton ax pro) and they have a separate channel for voice with its own volume control but i cant even use it in tf2, voices are so muffled with guns going off everywhere

napalmdest54
06-02-2009, 05:03 AM
I asked for this in a different thread, no one responded, so I will post here too. Yes the ability to choose which devices output/input voices and which output game sounds would be amazing. It would work well for me because I use the 360 wireless headset on PC too. Luckily Microsoft has streamlined their online service since the release of Xbox Live, and has this feature since launch of Xbox Live.

Please add this feature.

v_nome
06-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I absolutely want the option to use a separate output device for both my game and my voice comm. This is the entire reason I buy USB headsets. All of it coming through my speakers makes me fight for the amenable balance between voice and game audio, constantly tweaking so that I can try to hear both. There are a number of games that do this well without requiring an external program for voice (WoW and EVE Online come to mind).

Cpt Bloodylumps
06-03-2009, 02:18 PM
It'd be great if outputs could be separated - I use Ventrilo and Teamspeak regularly, and with them, I can set my output to a second (virtual) device.

This is provided by using a cheap old soundblaster card with the excellent kxAudio drivers - They allow you to edit what runs on the DSP, and I have a ducker set up to mute irrelevant (game, music) sound when there is any voice activity, or when enough input is detected over my mic (As well as allowing feeding voip-less output through the mic, so I can DJ/soundboard without any feedback at will). It sounds like a high-dollar sound card, to top it off.

I can listen to music at full blast and turn in-game sound all the way up and still hear everyone just fine this way, but unfortunately I can't separate it out with any steam/source games.

Come on, valve, this is pretty easy =\ (Also putting forth WoW as a example)

ThePro
06-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Adding my support for seperate audio systems.

I noticed it's been asked so many times, maybe they are aware people want it but simply can't do it :/
With enough money/resources you can do just about anything.

napalmdest54
06-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Seems the source engine and source games get so many updates, I hope they surely add this, and lets try to make sure this topic stays on first page.

Cyberblood
06-06-2009, 10:45 PM
It would be a nice addition on Left4Dead 2 *hint* *hint*

Paulverisor64
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
I recently transitioned to having my HDTV as my PC gaming screen.

I am waiting to receive a Dolby Digital sound card so I can play games in 5.1 on my home theater.

I really would like to take advantage of hearing all the game sounds through these speakers, it would be wonderful to be able to split the voice into a headset.

The steam game I am hoping to get more involved with is Red Orchestra.

Can anyone suggest advice in buying a true headset? I have a headphone and mic, but being optimistic I'd like to be ready to play games with the split sound.

napalmdest54
06-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Well until they implement this feature, alot of the new headsets (one ear piece) will very annoying to use. I also rather have surround sound and voice audio split from the speakers to the headset.

Don't let this topic go to the back, it needs to be on the front!

TheWingless
07-08-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm adding my support to this. Being able to hear voices clearly separate from the gunfire would be excellent.

Vithigar
07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Could you not set your system default input and output to the device you want to use for chat, and then set your in-game sound to the device you want to use for game sounds? Most games have an audio output device option.

TheWingless
07-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Could you not set your system default input and output to the device you want to use for chat, and then set your in-game sound to the device you want to use for game sounds? Most games have an audio output device option.
Not for the voice sound/chat in steam games :P The voice and game sound both go to the default output device.

Vithigar
07-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Ah, indeed. Just checked Left 4 Dead's options and there is no audio device selection, just as you say.

I'm throwing my hat into the "add this feature" ring. Just last night I was playing WoW with the sound on my speakers, Ventrilo was on my headset, and was watching Gremlins 2 on my attached TV with its sound outputted across HDMI as a third separate audio output device, all at the same time. There is no reason this couldn't be done easily for Steam's voice chat, as the windows audio API already has the separate outputs in place.

Also, huge lols at the guy early in this topic who said that two different output devices would never be done.

thrash242
07-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Yes, please! I have a USB headset and I can assign Teamspeak and Ventrilo to it, along with Eve's built-in voice-chat, but most games don't support this.

I like having voice comms on the headset and everything else over my speakers.

drag_racer
07-14-2009, 08:12 PM
I recently transitioned to having my HDTV as my PC gaming screen.

I am waiting to receive a Dolby Digital sound card so I can play games in 5.1 on my home theater.

I really would like to take advantage of hearing all the game sounds through these speakers, it would be wonderful to be able to split the voice into a headset.

The steam game I am hoping to get more involved with is Red Orchestra.

Can anyone suggest advice in buying a true headset? I have a headphone and mic, but being optimistic I'd like to be ready to play games with the split sound.

I purchased the Sony Bluetooth Headset for PS3. While it is marketed for the PS3, it will work for basically anything that has bluetooth like phones and the PC. While some features may be available only on the PS3 because of it being software based (ie: putting it on the charging dock and still being able to use it because it increases the sensitivity), overall it is a really decent headset, and for $50 too.

and I too would love to be able to have the game audio come out the pc speakers, and the voice chat come out through the speaker in the headset

Paulverisor64
07-14-2009, 08:32 PM
I purchased the Sony Bluetooth Headset for PS3. While it is marketed for the PS3, it will work for basically anything that has bluetooth like phones and the PC. While some features may be available only on the PS3 because of it being software based (ie: putting it on the charging dock and still being able to use it because it increases the sensitivity), overall it is a really decent headset, and for $50 too.

and I too would love to be able to have the game audio come out the pc speakers, and the voice chat come out through the speaker in the headset

Is there a difference between a standard bluetooth set and this one marketed for the PS3? I have a bluetooth set which I could use but I'm not clear whether it would carry high quality sound.

amnesiasoft
07-14-2009, 10:34 PM
If it uses the standard bluetooth headset protocol, then no, it's not capable of carrying high quality sound. A2DP can carry high quality sound, but it has no support for mic input.

drag_racer
07-15-2009, 08:11 PM
From all the reviews I've read about the one marketed for PS3 (it's marketed for the PS3 mainly because they have software to implement it better with the PS3). It's really just a regular bluetooth headset just marketed for the PS3.

I have yet to try it on the PS3, but going by the reviews it has great audio pickup, and can even pick-up your voice from across the room when connected to the PS3 and the mic is in the dock.

napalmdest54
07-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Glad to see more people support this, really needs to be added. More games need this feature, and hopefully all Valve games get this.

heatproofsean
07-28-2009, 01:33 PM
This needs to be done and I cant understand why it has been left for so many years now?

zawuhibu
07-29-2009, 08:10 PM
We really need to be able to change our Voice output devices mainly for L4D although all games could truly benefit from this I find it to be a real pain trying to figure out what people are saying during the moments when the zombie horde is alerted especially and this is when team work is truly needed yet 1 simple fix could alleviate this problem and that would be allowing us to configure our voice output devices as being separate from the main audio of the game.

/sign

Syndil
09-19-2009, 02:05 AM
Just playing around with my phone's BT headset (Sony HBH-608) and paired it to my PC for the hell of it. Then I got to thinking... Long story short, I Googled and ended up here.

I can already choose the headset for voice input, now if I could just choose it for voice output as well.

vhold
10-03-2009, 02:54 AM
This is a feature I've been wanting for years.. It really holds me back from wanting to play online, I simply can't hear people talk over my 5.1 setup and I don't want to compromise by turning down game sound.. so.. I simply don't use voice online.

I think it's a pretty big flaw, especially considering you can use the Xbox 360 receiver / controller / headset for voice on the PC. So.. people who have that.. and can't really use it properly, what platform do you think they're going to buy games on?

I just want to add, this is a feature that the xbox has had for _years_, and it's an extremely integral part of the entire platform and how it took off as such a huge social gaming success.. Steam not having this is actually quite glaring.

Paulverisor64
10-03-2009, 08:04 AM
I am wondering whether anyone has got an official response from Steam. Earlier in this thread someone got a reply, but I'm wondering whether that would be the definitive stance of Steam.

To have the audio channel seperate from the rest of the game environment would be absolutely great but it appears Steam isn't aware that there is a crowd of people seeking this feature, and once it becomes implimented I wouldn't be surprised that the majority of gamers would use this feature.

This is something that absolutely can be done. There are games on the market which already impliment it. There are gaming platforms which already impliment it.

I would like to know directly from Steam;
1) What would be involved in releasing games which seperate the voice channel?
2) When can we start to see games released this way?

Has anyone gotten an official answer from Steam?

machstem
10-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Reviving this thread once again to bring up the fact that several of us would love to have the option to choose a secondary output device, just as we can choose a secondary input device, for the VoIP function in STEAM games.

Mine specifically, L4D, and soon, L4D2.

This would come in incredibly helpful so that all voice chatter is separate from the in-game sounds. It's difficult trying to pin point a hunter pounce in 5.1 when all you hear is the person crying to have the hunter off of him.

The option for input is there, why not output?

Thanks STEAM. This thread has gone on for 2 years now, people STILL want it.

PEACE

p.s. also, it's to note that my secondary audio device is a Logitech USB headset. As is, we use Ventrilo in that same fashion, but every so often you meet some nice peeps on STEAM and would rather not have them join your Ventrilo (security reasons, etc)

Paulverisor64
11-13-2009, 08:02 AM
True voice and game sound separation on Steam doesn't appear to be likely to happen soon.

In the mean time I see that there are 2 ways to go in both voice channel and headset selection. I am wondering which route would have the most benefits.

Voice channel: Ventrilo and Teamspeak

Headset: Bluetooth device and one ear headset

I am leaning towards a headset because it works well within a 360game. (albeit the provided set is cheaply made)

I don't know very much about the different voice applications. I would assume that both choices would allow you to split the voice through the application into a headset.

Ryvaeus
11-14-2009, 04:44 AM
I also would love to see this implemented in Steam.

nago
11-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Was trying to find out if this feature existed for L4D2.

It is aggravating a game based around teamplay doesn't have a mic feature like this.

:(

DrunkAus
11-25-2009, 05:33 AM
I would love to see this in Valve games.

The way it works afaik in Games for Windows Live is the overlay handles all the voice communication with the ability to set input and output devices and the game itself obviously handles everything else, why couldn't the Steam overlay do this as well, seeing as you pretty much need to have it on to play multiplayer on any recent Source engine game afaik.

So pretty much the Steam client itself would handle all the voice communication (a feature which is already present in Steam at this time) while the game handles just the games audio and not the game and voice audio as it currently does. This could also be implemented as a standard feature in Steamworks so that any game using it would have the option and not just Valve games.

Shouldn't be that hard to implement right?

ThermalSloth
11-28-2009, 06:16 AM
I would like to see this too.. :|

de_abreu
11-28-2009, 03:46 PM
GFWL has it, skype has it.
please valve, make it so that steam has it too.

LouNGeR
12-05-2009, 08:16 AM
It's the same for USB, Bluetooth and any other non-analog headset.
It even has an option to select a specific INPUT, why not support a specific OUTPUT?

All digital headsets come up as 2 devices, one Mic and one Speaker.
Steam already supports selecting a specific device as Mic/Input, so it has some sort of internal system which can SELECT a device for input, but where's the option to select a particular device as voice Output?

Screenshot of Windows 7 + Xbox360 Wireless Headset:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2irxgqx.png

Please tell us if you are working on this or if it probably won't happen in the near future.

ZackRabbit
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
This feature needs to be implemented. The only way you can currently do this that I know of is to have people use Ventrilo or some other 3rd party app.... which i guess is ok for playing with friends, but without its nearly impossible to hear people over the in game sounds.

Paulverisor64
12-08-2009, 07:32 PM
This feature needs to be implemented. The only way you can currently do this that I know of is to have people use Ventrilo or some other 3rd party app.... which i guess is ok for playing with friends, but without its nearly impossible to hear people over the in game sounds.

Plus you hear everyone who is not using Ventrillo in the game over the speakers.

LouNGeR
12-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Plus you hear everyone who is not using Ventrillo in the game over the speakers.

If you use Ventrilo, you would turn off Voice Com. in TF2 options, so you will only hear the people on Ventrilo and only through your headset.

Shroomishness
12-29-2009, 06:55 AM
bump. This would be an amazing feature and i need it! and maybe something about unused channels for voice like the surround-speakers-i-don't-have's output port. But that's getting complicated, another device would work well too!

Datajack
01-05-2010, 03:02 AM
Hi, I signed up to the forum only to answer this question.

There is a solution. It works in my case anyway. Here's how I do it.

- No headset plugged in.
- Start Steam
- Start Modern Warfare 2 (single or multiplayer)
- The games sounds/music is coming from the speakers
- Connect your headset
- Voice in / out on the headset only, game sounds/music still in speakers.

If I plug the headset before starting the game, I have the game sounds and voice chat in the headset only.

Maybe this works because I have a USB headset. It's a Philips heaset that had kind of its own soundcard on the chip. Might not work with other types of headsets.

Try it out, and post your results here along with your headset type.

toejam316
01-06-2010, 03:43 AM
Hi, I signed up to the forum only to answer this question.

There is a solution. It works in my case anyway. Here's how I do it.

- No headset plugged in.
- Start Steam
- Start Modern Warfare 2 (single or multiplayer)
- The games sounds/music is coming from the speakers
- Connect your headset
- Voice in / out on the headset only, game sounds/music still in speakers.

If I plug the headset before starting the game, I have the game sounds and voice chat in the headset only.

Maybe this works because I have a USB headset. It's a Philips heaset that had kind of its own soundcard on the chip. Might not work with other types of headsets.

Try it out, and post your results here along with your headset type.

That's VERY interesting, and just what we want, but better supported. If we could define in game that we want VOICE out over Device #2 and GAME out over Device #1 with VOICE in on Device #1 also, it'd be absolutely brilliant.

ajcoll5
02-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree. This should be something that's on the top of the list.

Kakarote23
02-20-2010, 06:50 PM
As a gamer who doesn't use headphones since I like to hear my 7.1 system I would love to have a feature to select my Bluetooth headset for voice output.

Adohleas
03-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Sorry for raising this thread from the dead but this feature really needs to be added.

I have a surround sound head set(Tritton AX Pro Dolby digital 5.1) that has a separate volume control for voice chat which in other games I can set the output to it and make it so I can raise voice chat volume independently from the games sound and music.

However in steam games that do not allow me to adjust the microphone input and output, It ties the voice chat output with the in-game music and sound so I cannot adjust the voice chat volume separately.

I'm really surprised this feature doesn't exist on steam considering how heavily voice chat is used.

snapper.fishes
03-07-2010, 06:47 AM
I don't see why not. Personally I probably won't ever bother to split the sounds, but it shouldn't be too difficult to add.

BlackSnowMan69
04-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Has this been fixed yet or is there a setting I can change? My game sounds and voice only come through the earpiece OR speakers. Thanks

LouNGeR
05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
No the feature is not added, and it seems like they don't plan to add it either.
I think the games itself need modifications to make it work, they could at least fix it for TF2, CSS etc.

machstem
05-06-2010, 09:15 AM
It's interesting to see how long this thread has been added to, and STEAM has not acknowledged it nor added this rather simple feature to its list of possible updates or changes.

Considering the newer version of STEAM was just released recently, and up and coming release for the Mac, you would think they would sift through this thread and notice the use and application of using 2 separate sound devices.

Again; they allow you to choose for one, but not the other. Seriously. How difficult is it to add output for VoIP over your headset, and give the option to select your input.

Frustrating.:mad:

machstem
05-06-2010, 09:16 AM
...it will be 3 yrs this July that people have asked for this feature! Wow..

C'mon STEAM, do it!!!

LouNGeR
05-07-2010, 09:28 PM
For Steam friends voice chat? It's probably a breeze to implement, however, people want to have it in-game.
This means, every game needs to be updated.

C'mon Valve, just let Source have this functionality, at least your most important games will have proper headset support.

Leox001
05-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I want this feature!!

MrtkEST
05-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I actually registered to make this post.

Since I have two sound cards installed I recently had an idea to enable the other one and use a headset for all my online communication. It's very disturbing and non private for me to have all my conversations heard through 5.1 surround set for the whole house to hear.

I actually almost bought the headset but decided to check if Steam actually supports this feature. Unfortunately for my unpleasant surprise it does not.

We could really use this feature if not for Valve games (which would be superb btw) but at least for the Steam client. It's a mystery to me that Steam tries to be one of the most advanced gaming / gamers communication platform but is lacking such a simple but yet powerful feature that many others (not say pretty much all of them) have.

RvLeshrac
05-16-2010, 02:28 AM
I just finished up a game of L4D2, and this would have been *fantastic*. It took a good 15 minutes to get my headset volume(s) right.

Seems like it would be easy to implement in the Steam overlay, since there are so many third-party apps available now.

YourMom?
05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Okay I'll speak up, I'd like to see this done too. But VALVe does do a pretty good job on ingame voice output, players can be heard pretty well compared to other games.

And as someone earlier mentioned some effects put over VALVe's ingame voice, like reverb and underwater. I'm thinking splitting ingame outputs might interfere with these, so they may either not want to add stress to people's chipsets or they can't extend such effects to other devices, which maybe goes against the way they want their games to run, I dunno. For example, in L4D2 Hard Rain, you're literally SUPPOSED to not hear eachother when the storm picks up..

Anyway, I'd like seperate outputs in Steam, and if I'm on the right track, maybe not ingame but at least in Steam chat.

-roflBeck

Adlerson
06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
I am absolutely flabbergasted that this feature hasn't been implemented with games like TF2 and L4D2 and so on already.
There are already a host of other games that support this on the PC, so obviously it can't be impossible to implement.
When I play I like to listen to music at the same time, coming from the main 5.1 speakers, which makes it hard to hear the voice comm as well. Routing BOTH voice input and output to a USB headset would be a godsend, not only for that reason, but for the people who for various reason are almost impossible to comprehend when their voice is mixed in with the normal game sound.

Come on Valve, you have done so much already, is this really beyond your abilities??

YourMom?
06-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah c'mon Steam, please? Say something at least. IMO by staying quiet on this, I think you're telling me Xfire's better in terms of client and forums :3

Syphen
06-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Here's a possible workaround:
Start
Control Panel
Sounds and Audio Devices
Audio tab
Change "Sound recording" default device to be the headset
For good measure, do this for both the boxes under "voice" too.

Hope this helps (make sure you have the volume set high too)

This man is correct.

YourMom?
06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
This man is correct.
I think not. Steam and VALVe games put all sound playback thru your system's default device, all of it. This will only happen by a steam update, or maybe some 1337 software mod.

ithrowpicks
07-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Sign me up as someone who wants this as well. I have a Logitech Z-5500 and a Creative Fata1ity sound card for game sounds. It would be great if I could use my onboard sound for game chat.

Come on Valve... Give the people what they want :cool:

pntbllrspdr
07-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I've been a console player for years so I was extremely surprised today when I find out this staple feature of consoles isn't available on here

ozw
07-08-2010, 03:13 PM
This STILL isn't implemented? C'mon, Valve...it can't be that difficult. Windows 7 even has separate settings for default audio device and default communications device.

Leox001
07-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I guess it's already coded that way, but it would be something really important to add to the source engine...

RoadiePC
07-20-2010, 11:52 AM
I just registered to add my two cents, even if it's nothing that hasn't been said before.

I'm one of the many with a dedicated soundcard/speakers, along with a wired XBOX 360 controller/headset, and after having spent some time on XBOX Live and Ventrillo, I'm kind of shocked that Valve hasn't tried to get with the times. Sure, they're leading the "digital games distribution platform" thing, but I would think that with all the coding they do(DRM/security, sales, patching, netplay, etc), that this question would've been answered long ago.

Someone earlier in the thread said that if it were easy/realistic, it would've been done by now, but that leaves a question as to WHY no one from Valve has stood up to explain what the issue is. We're understanding people(usually), and even if their resources are all tied up with some hidden project(episode 3, maybe?), a simple "We'll get to it when we can" would go a LONG way.

So I guess my question is: Why the silence? Are we being ignored? Was the question answered somewhere in the bowels of the boards and I missed it?

...Please, Valve. we trust you. We buy your games so we can play with our friends, and make more friends. Don't isolate us into little cliques with third-party applications. The voice chat system works, just help it work better.

Syldan
07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I use a headset , I use Skype mostly because it is annoying that voice cut while Source games are loading. I can split voice and game sound. Skype goes in the headset and game stays in the speaker.

All Games that require voice could benefit from split-voice/sound.... and that user can choose where to save config and savegames (when not SteamCloud).

_Wildy_
08-04-2010, 06:39 AM
I agree with the thread opener, please add this feature.

ForeverIDy
08-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Agreed Please Add ASAP!!!

wetwilly46
08-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Please add this ASAP! I also use a Bluetooth, and would love this feature. Voice chat belongs in the HEADSET, and game sounds belongs in the SPEAKERS. Simple as that. If not, people could specify the voice output to your computer speakers.

garcia
08-28-2010, 11:19 AM
i use a this headset for PC Gaming: http://www.kevblog.co.uk/blog/54/xbox360_wireless_headset_2.jpg

i recently discovered that in the game Worms Reloaded it works like it should. game sound through 5.1 speaker and voice output through the headset.

the game uses the steam ingame voice system.

i am using Windows 7 and configured the headset in the system config as standard voip device.

so perhaps its the headset or the OS config that matters. Or its the game, because its an xbla port.

mrmaster
10-01-2010, 07:50 AM
I might have to make another thread but does anyone with a bluetooth headset get A2DP working in game? It seems to be a windows thing? I only get mono when I am in game. Perfect test is going to your sound properties with music playing and choose the recording tab. It switches to mono!

Windows 7 64 bit
bluetooth headset Moto S305
broadcom (widcomm) usb-bt receiver - very latest drivers

ohmk
10-18-2010, 10:40 AM
/support. PLEASE :D

wiz0floyd
10-24-2010, 05:45 PM
i use a this headset for PC Gaming: http://www.kevblog.co.uk/blog/54/xbox360_wireless_headset_2.jpg

i recently discovered that in the game Worms Reloaded it works like it should. game sound through 5.1 speaker and voice output through the headset.

the game uses the steam ingame voice system.

i am using Windows 7 and configured the headset in the system config as standard voip device.

so perhaps its the headset or the OS config that matters. Or its the game, because its an xbla port.

That's probably game specific. I've been trying to do that in TF2 and DoW2 for a while and it just won't happen. If G4WL chat weren't so borked, I would just use that for DoW, but...

Nelson1189
11-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Can't believe that they still haven't implemented this, when services like XBL have had it for years. Would be so much nicer to be able to play TF2 without having to use some other service (like skype) to talk to my friends without having to try and hear them over in game noise.

ozw
11-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Another bump for this, because this should really be top priority right now. A game that relies so heavily on voice communication doesn't support proper voice chat? Embarrassing. It really can't be that hard to separate the audio, since it's already separate on the XBL version.

R3phlexion
11-21-2010, 06:27 PM
PLEASE implement this. Competitive services like Xbox Live and PSN have had this feature for years, yet the Source games don't even seem to have this on the horizon. How difficult could it possibly be? Source games are updated regularly, so we all know that Valve still cares about them and has the ability to patch the engine... show me the MONAYYY!

abrasion
11-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Still hasn't been added, sad.

wiz0floyd
12-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I added my support ticket. Will post the reply I get.

Hello,

For almost 2 years now, users have been requesting the ability to pick the output device for steam voice chat. I was wondering if there is any update on the availability of this feature. I have a bluetooth headset that I would like to use for voice chat, but there's currently no known way to set the voice to come out of my headset speaker and my game audio to come from my 5.1 desktop speakers.

Windows has this feature built in. The user can pick a separate "Default Device" and a "Default Communication Device". I would assume that telling steam to add voice chat to the Communication Device stack instead of the Default stack would result in the desired effect.

Thanks for replying.

Plantman
01-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Bump.

I am also looking for a solution to having voice and game sound seperate. Please address Steam.

garcia
01-04-2011, 02:46 PM
As horrible GFWL is, this is actually the only thing Games for Windows Live does better than Steam. As soon as a Headset is connected, the Software sees it and switches the voice of the other players to it. This works even while a game is running.

Steam should give us the same comfort!

gigiboyb
01-04-2011, 03:18 PM
I was thinking the same thing! I think it can only be done via TF2 itself so via a patch. After playing Warhawk on my PS3 where using a BT headset only routes the voice coms through the headset whilst the in-game sfx and music are still pumped out through my speakers.

That's the way it should be imo - or at least give us an option.

Agreed, but unfortunately console games, as far as I know, are coded to work that way, and PC games generally are not. I still don't think it is unreasonable to ask for it though. There is no doubt in my mind it COULD be done, just not sure whether it would or not.

Docteur terreur
01-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I have the same need, and when I watch the date of the source post...I'am boring, any developper of valve want help steam user?:confused:

garcia
01-07-2011, 02:34 AM
Ssometimes it would be great, if a dev says a word, so we know that our suggestions are heard.

Plantman
01-07-2011, 05:29 PM
"Miles Sound System. Copyright 1991-2001 by RAD Game Tools, Inc." apears in the voice com tab. It's third party and Steam only has license to a version that allows sound through one set of channels. http://www.radgametools.com/miles.htm

Quoted from the above url "•Miles has the best digital audio features. Miles supports multi-channel input and output"

Which means steam has an older version that won't do this and they need to buy a new license to allow it or go with another voice over developer.

Plantman
01-14-2011, 02:23 PM
"Miles Sound System. Copyright 1991-2001 by RAD Game Tools, Inc." apears in the voice com tab. It's third party and Steam only has license to a version that allows sound through one set of channels. http://www.radgametools.com/miles.htm

Quoted from the above url "•Miles has the best digital audio features. Miles supports multi-channel input and output"

Which means steam has an older version that won't do this and they need to buy a new license to allow it or go with another voice over developer.

This is wrong, I talked with some people here is a partial transcript

"Is the Miles system capable of taking a different audio channel and putting it on an additional output separate from the gaming tracks?"

Their response was

"Yes, but "channels" and "tracks" aren't necessarily the right terms to use in our case. You can install multiple physical audio devices in a PC, or a single piece of hardware that acts like multiple logical audio devices, and you can use software mixing to play multiple independent channels through a single audio device. All of these cases are supportable by our API. (Whether the speakers and mikes are connected via Bluetooth or hardwired is a question that is addressed at the physical layer, rather than by our system.)

In all cases, if a physical or logical device exposes a DirectSound interface, we can play multiple independent streams of audio through it. But we don't provide turnkey support for higher-level applications like voice chat, only some basic examples for raw audio data input and output."

So it's back on Steam for being their problem.

Plantman
01-16-2011, 11:45 PM
After dealing with Steam tech support I got the response:

There are no plans to alter the way sounds work in the current generation of Source games. If you have any further questions please let me know.

Bish0p
01-19-2011, 09:47 AM
WE NEED IT!. I can do this with every game I play online that uses coms except steam games. Someone said we are still in the "dark ages" on steam in regard to coms and I couldn't agree more. It's one of those things that just should of been addressed already and hasn't been. It's laziness when I see that a developer left out the option to have voice only come through the headset. This isn't 1990. Please learn the difference between "Default audio device" and "Default communications device" steam. Sooner rather than later. We have been very patient about this for way to long now.

Drag0nZorD!
01-19-2011, 09:54 AM
i hate any person who thinks its ok to use a mic+speakers. they are instantly muted upon transmit.

anything that supports this kind of idea im personally gona have to disagree to.

Bish0p
01-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Official response to my support question regarding this issue was this:

3 Message by Support Tech Cody on Wed, 19th Jan 2011 2:54 pm
Hello Dale,

Currently, all audio for Valve's games must come through the same device.

These games do not support the utilization of different input and output devices like you have suggested.

However, other users may have found a workaround for this issue on our forums.

http://forums.steampowered.com

Sad....

i hate any person who thinks its ok to use a mic+speakers. they are instantly muted upon transmit.

anything that supports this kind of idea im personally gona have to disagree to.

You disagree that voice should come through your headset and not your surround sound? Either I'm misunderstanding something, or you are. It should "definitely" come through your headset and not your speakers. It's ridiculously loud and annoying.

Drag0nZorD!
01-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Official response to my support question regarding this issue was this:

3 Message by Support Tech Cody on Wed, 19th Jan 2011 2:54 pm
Hello Dale,

Currently, all audio for Valve's games must come through the same device.

These games do not support the utilization of different input and output devices like you have suggested.

However, other users may have found a workaround for this issue on our forums.

http://forums.steampowered.com

Sad....

You disagree that voice should come through your headset and not your surround sound? Either I'm misunderstanding something, or you are. It should "definitely" come through your headset and not your speakers. It's ridiculously loud and annoying.

i dont like hearing other player's ingame sound through the mic.

Plantman
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
i dont like hearing other player's ingame sound through the mic.

That's still a problem even if voice comes through the speakers unless everyone plays with all audio in a headset only.

Headset mics are going to be the best at dulling out room speakers anyways. and if properly configured should not pick up most if not all of the game noise.

Laptops are notorious for having room mics that pick up their own speakers and noise made by their own internal mechanics so it might be that which bothers you more.

And some people are curmudgeons that don't care that their mics are terible or poorly configured and possibley use them for trolling anyways.

garcia
01-21-2011, 12:47 PM

there is technology that can suppress this. i think its called "echo cancellation"

Most mobile phones implement that if you speak hands free.
Also most ip phones have this implemented

I wonder how Xlive deals with this issue

Plantman
01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
I think the topic is a bit confusing, the original author meant to express it for regular plug in headsets too, some people have USB sets and others have several audio channel outputs on their sound card to allow for the addition of a headset with separate earphone.

The blue tooth highlight is unnecessary because if a blue tooth audio source, USB headset, or a wire jacked headset is present, or even all Windows XP SP3 and up ( maybe a version or two back, and definitely 7, it is very good at this ) will treat them the same as any other plugged in audio source from the sound card or USB port.

Steam uses the windows settings to decide what Mic to use and what audio source it outputs to(also joystick, mouse, and keyboard sources for gold source games are controlled by windows!). And this is the major frustration of the entire topic, steam could go in and make game and voice two different outputs to windows but they won't right now.

If you haven't read through the whole topic it's kind of funny no trolling but it starts out with people being like "impossible!" and "I haven't seen this in any PC game I think only consoles can do it." since it started in 2007. But later on people begin to comment at how common place the feature is in other multi player games that it makes gold source look old and junkie.

ozw
01-24-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm glad this thread is finally getting more attention, probably as more people upgrade their hardware and with Windows 7 becoming the standard OS for gaming. Outputting audio to multiple devices simultaneously used to have strict hardware requirements and cause issues with echo, and it was something that had to be handled by the software rather than the operating system. Those problems have been taken care of, and it's something relatively simple to implement.

We've already discussed the "why," and as someone with programming experience, I'm going to point out the "how." It might be coincidence, but I've seen a few long-requested bugfixes finally solved only after someone pointed out how easy it would be to fix them, so I'm hoping one of the programmers at Valve will come across this thread and finally get this implemented.

Most likely, the audio streams are already separate. In fact, game audio is most likely broken down further into separate streams for background music, musical cues, sound effects, character dialog, etc. The question is whether the game engine passes the voice chat to the OS directly or whether it's passed to the OS by the Steam platform.

If Steam handles the voice chat, a quick update to Steam will fix the issue for most if not all games. This couldn't be more than tweaking a few lines of code, changing calls to Default Audio Device to Default Communications Device where appropriate. If the code was written efficiently, it could be as simple as changing ONE line of code.

If voice chat is handled by the game engines, each game engine would need to be updated separately, but the fix would be pretty much the same. Games also available on XBox are already programmed for this, as Microsoft requires voice chat passed in a separate stream output to the headset.

Either way, the fix is simple. It's just a matter of bringing it to the attention of the appropriate developer(s) to take the 15 minutes and tweak a few lines of code.

Plantman
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Most likely, the audio streams are already separate. In fact, game audio is most likely broken down further into separate streams for background music, musical cues, sound effects, character dialog, etc. The question is whether the game engine passes the voice chat to the OS directly or whether it's passed to the OS by the Steam platform.

I think so, from my investigation into Miles' sound system in previous posts I found this was possible but it was up to Steam to do this.

This couldn't be more than tweaking a few lines of code

It's been suggested by tech support in earlier posts that a fan made mod might have a work around or it would be possible to do so. This forum is also about exploring community made code to work around the deficiency.

Games also available on XBox are already programmed for this, as Microsoft requires voice chat passed in a separate stream output to the headset.

I have seen them too, Dead Rising 2 does this when in co-op mode it sounds great, I think it's a required technology for multi-player online games where both game sound and comprehension of voice sound are very important.

Serious gaming groups will go third party to preserve the function with things such as ventrillo and teamspeak, this is not a viable option in the more often played pub match where very few people will download a custom program and connect to a custom server.

If the implementation were through steam which it should be as a game communications software, those who did not choose to separate audio output would still have their voice chat and also separated into different output channels for other clients who chose to have that setting on their steam client.

It's just a matter of bringing it to the attention of the appropriate developer(s) to take the 15 minutes and tweak a few lines of code.

I agree, I have played TFC continually until TF2 came out and have played that for as long as it has been around as well, I'm not going anywhere and I have never had enough interest in a subject to join the forum and support it in all that time, Hammer into Anvil.

Ewok85
02-04-2011, 10:03 PM
As much as I hate TS/vent I love the ability to play the voice over the headset where its right in my ear and unmistakable, and have everything else over the speakers out of the way.

wiz0floyd
02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Either way, the fix is simple. It's just a matter of bringing it to the attention of the appropriate developer(s) to take the 15 minutes and tweak a few lines of code.

I thought I'd mention that I sent a support ticket in with a link to the MSDN article about using the two separate audio stacks. Hopefully it will get to the developers and get implemented. :D

Plantman
02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I thought I'd mention that I sent a support ticket in with a link to the MSDN article about using the two separate audio stacks. Hopefully it will get to the developers and get implemented. :D

Cool beans, for some reason devs will not respond to this post even though it has a great age too it and numerous requests.

Plantman
02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Should I rework this group and resubmit it to the forum so it doesn't seem to imply that this is for bluetooth headsets only? I think a lot of people don't understand this fix will work with PCs that have an extra audio jack for headsets and also USB headsets.

ozw
02-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Should I rework this group and resubmit it to the forum so it doesn't seem to imply that this is for bluetooth headsets only? I think a lot of people don't understand this fix will work with PCs that have an extra audio jack for headsets and also USB headsets.

If an admin could re-title the thread, that'd be great, but it's listed more clearly in the wishlist thread, so anyone looking for it will find it. Otherwise, I think keeping this thread alive is best, since the large number of replies indicates how popular the feature would be.

rasstar
02-20-2011, 03:54 PM
This is one of the biggest complaints I have about Steam. I can use my Bluetooth headset or usb headset in a games for windows live game and have voice come through the headset only but I cannot do the same with Steam. DOW2 has dropped GFWL so now Retribution suffers from the same problem so I wouldn't be able to communicate with my friends easily. We now need to find 3rd party solution as a result. How hard is it to implement such a basic feature? It has nothing to do with the game...it's Steam.

LouNGeR
02-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Here's some hope:
Windows: Changed voice output device for Steam to be the default communication device
http://store.steampowered.com/news/5044/

I don't see any option or info about this on the options screen. But then again, this may only be working for steam chat and not for game chat.

Cubical
02-25-2011, 10:28 AM
OH god I hate people voices coming though a 5.1 speaker system.

1 it loud.

2. I don't want everybody around in range of the sound system to hear what we are talking about.

It should come in through the head set seprate from game sound. Yet another reason I never use voice chat ever.

Then again I never use it on anything because its annoying.

rasstar
02-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Well Steam has finally implemented voice over headset only. It only took them a couple of years.

Sagenth
02-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Brilliant idea, albeit logical. I used to do that type of thing with ventrilo except in reverse. I had stereo and a 5.1 headset. I setup ventrilo to go through my stereo as to not interfere with my game sounds too much or vice versa. It turned out as you can imagine I couldn't hear people.

The point, I think, is that everybody has a different setup and different preferences. It is only natural that different audio systems be made modular in their configuration.

Oh holy crap this thread is 2 and some years old. :S
So they did it as the last post says.

LouNGeR
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Well Steam has finally implemented voice over headset only. It only took them a couple of years.

I just tested it, it looks like it's for Steam only.
It doesn't work in, let's say, Left 4 Dead 2.

rasstar
02-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Are you serious? Doesn't left for dead and other steamwork games uses use the steam voip? well that sucks.

Edit. I just tried with team fortress 2 and you are right. I guess this thread can keep going for another few years.

_Budweiser_
02-26-2011, 10:02 PM
In windows, voice comms are through an onboard sound chip, with main sound through a soundcard. This means, that with Steam, voicecomms never work.
I support this suggesiton.

LouNGeR
02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
In windows, voice comms are through an onboard sound chip, with main sound through a soundcard. This means, that with Steam, voicecomms never work.
I support this suggesiton.

What do you mean by voice comms through an onboard chip?
You can just select a device for output and a device for input, you are not bound to an onboard chip or something like that.

--------------

Of course Valve knows how it works, they just implemented it in Steam chat, and I am grateful for that. I just hope that they will finally see how important it is to have this functionality in game-chat.
Could it be that they don't want to implement it because people will start whining that non-source games don't have this functionality? Well I don't care if it's just in Source games, we'll just start over again with requesting at the companies that made the non-source game.

Plantman
03-01-2011, 01:38 AM
I just tested it, it looks like it's for Steam only.
It doesn't work in, let's say, Left 4 Dead 2.

It does'nt seem to work for TF2 either....

Odd update if it is only for steam client, the voice chat for the client is only useful outside of the game anyways so there is no reason to have different sound for no game running.

jamesta999
04-11-2011, 08:46 AM
MASSIVE BUMP!

Very much need this feature implemented, come on Valve! Almost there.

De Lemming
05-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Another vote for this idea.

I'm on a Mac. I just bought a Logitech usb-headset, and the first game I'm going to use it with is Portal 2 in co-op. The friend I'm going to play with already has separate voice/game sound on his PS3 (he just can't play networked games at the moment :D). I just expected this to be possible in Steam on my Mac too, and was very disappointed to find out it wasn't.

My headset appears as a separate device in Input and Output in Sound Preferences. It shouldn't be very difficult to let the user select different devices for game sound and voice. Alternatively, but more difficult to configure for the user, you could offer to use different channels on just one device. This because OS X has the possibility to create an "aggregate sound device" from multiple real devices (using Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup).

Please, please consider adding this much wanted option to an otherwise great gaming platform.

Drag0nZorD!
05-06-2011, 03:31 PM
since i can already do this with a microphone by manually setting my input device through steam, all they would have to add is a way to select an output device.

ninjafoodstuff
05-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Being as how I use an Astro MixAmp, I would also like this to work.

Del Coocnat
07-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Wow, nearly four years people have been asking for this? I'm just bumping to support this suggestion. When I play TF2, I want game sound to come through my speakers and voice through my headset.

Slazia
07-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Bump. This is essential. Please sort this out. I often use Teamspeak 3 right now as the steam voice chat isn't up to scratch. Steam is excellent, the voice chat isnt.

Mike Hunt
08-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Bumping this thread as well, it's time for Valve to stop making hats and bring better support to their games.

docwhat
08-20-2011, 10:38 PM
ditto from a Mac user with a Turtle Beach PX21

Mad Baron
08-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Bump! I think that the possibility to have separate audio outputs is very important

M1RAG3
09-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Please implement this feature ASAP, makes my bluetooth headset pointless.

Hedja
09-10-2011, 04:37 PM
This feature is already implemented in Steam's chat IIRC so it should really be available on Source engine games too... It's a great feature.

BillyBob11432
09-20-2011, 11:42 AM
This is annoying as hell. Even the KINGS of taking forever to do sh*t, Linden Labs, have implemented separate outputs for voice in their client, and that was years ago. Don't revert to Valve Time (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time) on this one.

SpeedyVT
09-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Chances of you hearing the clarity of the 5.1 with a Bluetooth in one ear is slim. I recommend just getting studio headphones and a desk mic. I highly recommend the JVC RX700-RX900 models.

Shinuz
09-21-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm bumping this thread as well because it is a much needed feature.
Come on it mustn't really be that hard to implement, TeamSpeak has had that feature for years.

Hedja
11-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Chances of you hearing the clarity of the 5.1 with a Bluetooth in one ear is slim. I recommend just getting studio headphones and a desk mic. I highly recommend the JVC RX700-RX900 models.

You don't need 5.1 sound for voice. The point is, game sound through speakers/headphones and voice through the headsets voice stream/headset.

DragonFlyM13
11-05-2011, 04:20 PM
i have been trying to get this implemented for 2 YEARS now... i gave up

when you are used to use a headset for voice, you DON'T wanna hear your friends/allies blabbering through your 5.1/7.1/surround speakers

Valve get this stuff implemented allready!

Leox001
12-18-2011, 05:22 AM
They nailed this feature for the Steam Voicechat, not in the source engine though.

Lou Saynus
01-06-2012, 09:46 PM
... and still has not been implemented. Here I was thinking I must be the only person who doesn't want to hear his friends drown out the game audio.

We currently use xfire to talk to each other while playing, but some of my friends are experiencing crashes lately when running xfire & certain Steam games. Other games require us to stop & restart the voice chat because the audio drops when we join up in the game lobby.

:confused:
It seems simple enough to me: In the Steam Settings Voice tab you can choose which device to use for Recording (audio input). Why not audio output? What's the point of that Detect Audio Devices button if you can't choose? Then again, I'm no programmer.

wiz0floyd
02-09-2012, 04:41 PM
... and still has not been implemented. Here I was thinking I must be the only person who doesn't want to hear his friends drown out the game audio.

We currently use xfire to talk to each other while playing, but some of my friends are experiencing crashes lately when running xfire & certain Steam games. Other games require us to stop & restart the voice chat because the audio drops when we join up in the game lobby.

It seems simple enough to me: In the Steam Settings Voice tab you can choose which device to use for Recording (audio input). Why not audio output? What's the point of that Detect Audio Devices button if you can't choose? Then again, I'm no programmer.
Set your Bluetooth as the "Default Communication Device" in windows.

Lou Saynus
02-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Set your Bluetooth as the "Default Communication Device" in windows.

Dude, I could kiss you. Or give you an uncomfortable shoulder grasp. I didn't even know that existed. I'll have to go through the other posts later to see if I'm an idiot and didn't catch on. I would still like to see it as an option in Steam, but this does what I want.

Just an FYI for others looking for the same thing, I'm using a USB headset, works all the same.

:D

emilio256
05-18-2012, 04:58 PM
So, shall we give up ?? This thread was created on 2007 and now, 5 years later nothing was done ?? Itīs not rocket physics, the Live uses it, when iīm playng GTAIV i listen to the game sounds o my 5.1 system and the voice chat on my headset for xbox360 for windows, i canīt believe that steam will let us down with something so ridiculous easy to do. Back in 2007 there wasnīt so many games with steam chat, but now with steamworks merging, they should give more attention to that.

LouNGeR
05-30-2012, 06:00 PM
On another note, this has nothing to do with Steam, it's about the game engine that needs to look at the Windows/Mac voice communication settings, like Steam does.

volkkeslate
06-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Totally support this, tired of the audio from voice not filtering into my headphones like i have set up in everything else i play. As it stands i very rarely use the steam voice chat

Smashbro29
03-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Yeah, all games should route to headsets. Only really need one ear to listen to talking.