PDA

View Full Version : steam update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Preda
12-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Hello everyone,

2) Launch Steam, it says "Updating Steam platform", goes up to 33-50% but never finishes and eventually falls after trying 3 times.

ISP: AOL
Make/Model of Modem: US Robotics 56k V.92 business modem
Speed: 56k modem, usually connect to AOL at 42.2k

Finally, if you are unable to get Steam to update after several tries I have placed a full Steam installation directory zip file at this location: http://media.steampowered.com/Steam/SteamFull.zip

Hello, thank you!! 3 days i was disappointed, because nothing helps.

Now I have a new problem, short after the scene with the 4 tunnels, the next loading broke down. I have tried a reinstall but didn't help. I played HL2-E2 once more, but the same situation. Is it a bug?

juppy73701
12-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Now I have a new problem, short after the scene with the 4 tunnels, the next loading broke down. I have tried a reinstall but didn't help. I played HL2-E2 once more, but the same situation. Is it a bug?Most likely another bug. I got one too, except mine is right after you get the car from the bridge and have to open the door to let Alex and the Vort rejoin you. I flip the lever but they can't come through the door, they just stand there. I sent in a bug report for that one. You should probably do the same.

neiLd
12-10-2007, 02:54 PM
I tried the fix it still doesn't work, mine is the 26% one, but it skips to 30% and then goes the full way to 100%. When i log in it freezes up and comes back then friends doesn't work at all, ingame, when i get into a game after 1 minute Steam Connection is Lost... This zip didn't work for me..

amosf
12-10-2007, 04:03 PM
You shouldn't need the zip any more if it's the #2 bug. The servers work now and I've tried it on a couple of machines with good results. I do get a restart at 26% and such, but then it starts again and completes.

This might be another bug...

I just lost part of a HDD and had to shift steam to a new HD and rebuild the system. I cranked it up and it didn't go. Had to delete clientregistry.blob and then it updated and all went well even after all that. So things are working a bit better.

valiant seph
12-10-2007, 08:12 PM
I have the five disk half life pack - the update wasnt working like you guys it would stop at 34% then go back to 28 or just shut down. I uninstalling the game then while reinstalling the game i put in first cd installed steam then starting installing game, while the game was installing i decided to update steam from the shortcut on my desktop make sure u add shortcut - and easy enough the update completed it goes back to 28% once but finished after that! try it out it might of been pure luck. I did this at 1pm

The only thing is lol once I got into steam I tried opening hl 2 and it has to decrypt the files (unlock game files) but that gets stuck on 50% for me lol so this is a never ending load of ????! might work for u guys though man this is annoying to deal with.

valiant seph
12-11-2007, 12:04 AM
I tried the fix it still doesn't work, mine is the 26% one, but it skips to 30% and then goes the full way to 100%. When i log in it freezes up and comes back then friends doesn't work at all, ingame, when i get into a game after 1 minute Steam Connection is Lost... This zip didn't work for me..

If what i said earlier doesnt work then I can upload my clientregistry.blob file for people to use it should work then.

Fallschirmjäger
12-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Well i did nothing realy and checked today and it updated fully,took awhile,but then saw i had no games and videos i had saved.So i remembered i had taken out the steamApps folder before and RO game folder too,so i put them back and then started the update again,which it did.
When it was done i saw my videos and games both back,one DOD S was updating and still is too.

Also i had not had the steam community thing on my account since it came out,when was that?.But its on now,not that i use it though yet,but it had not been updating or installing it since it came out for me.I think it was my dial up possibly.And i have the login option coming up a few times i have done this,so seems fine for now,try again tomorrow or later.
Like there where some new things im shure int he steam folder too now,is this true,so thanks for making it work now.

eebeeb
12-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Well I guess Valve just released a new update because suddenly I'm getting the same problem again ("Updating Steam platform", stops at around 35%).

New zip file please!

neiLd
12-11-2007, 02:30 PM
we gotta find a solution for #1 :(

Fallschirmjäger
12-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Well my steam is still fine thankfully.

eebeeb
12-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Update: I kept trying and on the twentieth or so attempt it finally updated :)

yellowblood
12-12-2007, 11:42 AM
My "solution" worked wonderful. Give it a try (it's in my last post in this thread).

neiLd
12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
:/ not cool still looking for a solution for #1: \

my steam starts updating, at 26% it stops and then closes and restarts at 28% then goes the full way to 100%. Since it didn't update fully i can play games for 1 minute it will say Steam Connection Lost, Friends Doesnt work, steam application freezes from time to time, and the steam community site wont show up in the browser cause its linked wrong. Need Help ASAP:(

amosf
12-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I'll have to look back through the posts. I can't remember what the #1 issue was :(

paolo2504
12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
hi all,
this post to confirm i had same issue. I got from steam support the steamfullisntall.zip that allowed me to go ahead and bypass the issue of having steam update itself in a loop till no more than 33%.

Said to say, no there is another problem. I set everything (serial number, profile, steam updates are now ok and so on) and choosed to install (of course...: i've spent my money to do this...) all games in OB.
What happens is that disk1 is not read during installation; you are not even prompted to insert disk2 never !
I looked the web and found many other customers saying the same.
A few one confirm this is a-nother bug in OB: basically, OB setup always forces installation from web not from dvd. I forgot mention i have a 56k dialup connection so you can imagine the nightmare, no: the impossibility - to download and isntall 16GB of data.

Today stem support replied saying there's no way to install UPDATES from disk only via web. My reply (written a few minutes ago) was a little bit nt so politically correct i guess (i 'tried' to explain i'm not speaking of updates yet of actuall installation).

Well: anybody in this community can help me ? any hint to get rid of this stupid ridiculous ironic totally buggy way used by steam/valve to protect their precious programs ? i'm just a stupid legimitate customer who spent lot of money and after two weeks is not able even to install purchased games.
My opinion is this way valve is not protecting games from hackers: valve is just forcing legitimate customers to BECOME hackers !!

thanks in advance.

Fallschirmjäger
12-12-2007, 06:49 PM
I'll have to look back through the posts. I can't remember what the #1 issue was :(

If not seen yet,it was this below.
1) Launch Steam, it says "Steam - Updating" and goes quickly up to 26% and then closes with the message "Steam is already running. You may only run one copy of Steam at a time."

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7044096&postcount=830

Well Dam this now, i just logged off my steam as was playing up,and now see another update happening too now.Like had my steam back a few days and the its doing the same thing again it seems.Like has any had there steam fixed a few days and then back to the problem,like may it get back and then off again for how long i wonder though?.

It seems like it could be the dial up,but herd it said it was not this.Like dose this zip folder work fully,and not go backs to the problem with any that have used it.

paolo2504
12-13-2007, 09:09 AM
i'm desperate. i had the same issue you described (steam update itself till 33% then resets to 0%). In my case it was solved a few days ago by steam support who sent link to steamfull.zip
I exctracted it onto existing steam folder and, after a lot of times, udpate succeded.
Said to say, now games wont install FROM DISK1. I mean: disk1 is not read, disk2 is not asked for a change. At any evidence, this stupid installation program by valve seems installing FROM web.
Of course, i dont have a QUICK line jsut a 56k slow dialup, and, of course, i dont care at all of playing on line: i just want to play offline as single player...

I opened another ticket and steam support wrote me that 'UPDATES' only come via internet. I'm frustrated: i clearly specified the FULL installation is doing via web, not just the updates.

I found many customers on the net having the same issue. Anybody can give hint on how to get rid of this additional BUG in OB to allow me to install my games from the two dvds ?
thanks in advance.

AgentSchatten
12-13-2007, 10:22 AM
I found many customers on the net having the same issue. Anybody can give hint on how to get rid of this additional BUG in OB to allow me to install my games from the two dvds ?
thanks in advance.

As far as i know its easy to install from disk.
Don't start steam and insert the disks. Start installing till the end. Then start steam and log in. start ur game and u should be asked if u want to merge ur game to steam.
finally that was the way it works as i bought CS-s for a while.

Fallschirmjäger
12-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Ok i had steam back for a few days,now its back sort of to the old ways it was,like was there a recent update to do this.Like how oftern are the steam ones even?.Like if all the time,then i may need to use the zip folder right,like people who used it have had not have it go back to the problem recently?,thanks.

Well it has been updating sometimes quite more than normal,like 83% and right now at 74%,so maybe will be back again till the next update comes along?.

mrix
12-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Found my own solution, basically the updated steam didnt allow me to update on another drive other than C drive, for the past few years steam and my games were on my Games Drive but now for some reason it only likes installing on the standard c drive:confused:
I am guessing many may have this problem ? so just use your default drive for now until a fix is here.
Cheers
mrix

neiLd
12-13-2007, 03:53 PM
my steam starts updating, at 26% it stops and then closes and restarts at 28% then goes the full way to 100%. Since it didn't update fully i can play games for 1 minute it will say Steam Connection Lost, Friends Doesn't work, steam application freezes from time to time, and the steam community site wont show up in the browser cause its linked wrong. Need Help ASAP

paolo2504
12-14-2007, 01:53 AM
when you launch setup then it launches steam and after a while it asks for userid and password. In addition, you MUST be connected because until games are not fully installed offline mode is disabled.
Definitely: OB setup is buggy because it doesnt read from disks but makes installation from web.
I found that if you disconnect line while you're installing games then setup changes immediately and starts to read from disk1, then asks disk2 but soon after it stops saying steam servers are not available. This is ironic.

As far as i know its easy to install from disk.
Don't start steam and insert the disks. Start installing till the end. Then start steam and log in. start ur game and u should be asked if u want to merge ur game to steam.
finally that was the way it works as i bought CS-s for a while.

please see also qick reply at bottom. you cant install games without steam, and steam requires connection to complete setup. unfortunately, here is the bug: when connected OB installs (i'm speaking of the first, full installation) from web and never loads disks. try search google with 'orange box / steam load form disk' and you'll find lot of posts.

Fallschirmjäger
12-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Well itS back again,it took hours it seemed(dial up),but is it going to do this on every update i wonder too?.One thing is i just need to upload the steam with no pages open which i tend to do.But now seems like thats not good for it,as tried so many times it yesterday and it quit.

ComradeNachaev
12-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Replacing Steam files with the zipped Steam Installation files worked for me. :)

However I've experienced a few funny problems playing DOD 1.3 since then:

tempdecal.wad won't work. When I press my spray key (impulse 201) it just sprays a logo instead of the custom spray (tempdecal.wad in my dod folder). I do NOT go to Player Name page of DOD game menu which I know resets to logo. I have many times copied another spray (tempdecal.wad) into my dod folder but still the only thing that appears in-game is a logo. I am not playing in servers that only accept logos. I have the same key binded to impulse 201 in my config.cfg and userconfig.cfg and it previously would result in spraying whatever tempdecal.wad was in my dod folder.
snapshot won't work. Since deleting Steam Files and putting the new zipped files no screenshots have been taken. I have key for snapshot binded in both config and userconfig.cfg but it doesn't take pictures, or should I say, no .bmps are appearing in my dod folder. Even after a match when I have hud_takesshots "1" active, still no end of round screenshots are ending up in my dod folder.
playing offline, only two maps are listed in the New Game / Select a map list. Both maps are custom maps that doesn't have waypoints. Previously, all the stock maps were listed, followed by all the custom maps I have installed in the dod\maps folder. If I choose "Random Map" selection, it is always one of those two custom maps. When map finishes, the other custom map loads, and when it finishes, THEN the stock mapcycle runs beginning with Anzio.

Any suggestions for how to get custom sprays working again? How to get screenshots working again? And/or how to have full list of maps appear in New Game menu?

Thanks.

CnEUHA3
01-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Issue #2, Steam Updating Platform 0%..30%.. then falls to 0% and exits after 3 attempts.

Thank you for providing a full install.

Full install seems to have corrected the problem with Steam Update.

Only new issue seems to be that disks will not install games...had to install from online.....2 weeks day and night non stop.

Gave up on Counter Strike And Team Fortress2......would take another 2 weeks. .. Maybe later.

ISP: Southwestern Bell ......Dial Up.......
Make/Model of Modem: US Robotics 56k V.92 modem
Speed: 56k modem, usually connect to swbell.net at download speeds of 28.8Kbps or 26.4Kbps.

HeroForge
01-11-2008, 10:33 PM
ISP: Cox Cable
Make/Model of Modem:
Speed: About 64k

I am experiencing problems 1 and 2, alternately. I have tried installing from the DVD, a direct download of the installer, and the SteamFull.zip file. I have tried emptying the Steam folder, as well as every other tip listed in this thread so far.

This is very disappointing. I have tried installing the Orange Box since Wednesday, and all I have right now, as it was put, is a $50 orange paperweight. Can't the installation file be fixed to include the current updates?

dustbunny
01-12-2008, 02:54 AM
ISP: Cox Cable
Make/Model of Modem:
Speed: About 64k

I am experiencing problems 1 and 2, alternately. I have tried installing from the DVD, a direct download of the installer, and the SteamFull.zip file. I have tried emptying the Steam folder, as well as every other tip listed in this thread so far.

This is very disappointing. I have tried installing the Orange Box since Wednesday, and all I have right now, as it was put, is a $50 orange paperweight. Can't the installation file be fixed to include the current updates?

HAve you tried opening the ports up in your Modems config?

HeroForge
01-12-2008, 04:31 PM
HAve you tried opening the ports up in your Modems config?

Yep. Steam has all the ports it needs. Even told Vista to give it free rein if necessary.

joshbern
01-13-2008, 02:27 AM
ive had the same problem for a while now and I have used that zip folder a few times, but now when this update comes out the zip wont work and I still have to update

west
01-14-2008, 07:40 AM
ive had the same problem for a while now and I have used that zip folder a few times, but now when this update comes out the zip wont work and I still have to update
same here !

You should keep zip folder up-to-date ;]

wasted247
01-27-2008, 06:33 AM
hello ive had steam 4 a while now and it was working perfectuly the first time i insrtalled it and it was all fun and dandy....... but den about a couple of months afterwards (i brought Lost Planet) it wouldnt update my games it just update 4 a while den it would just stop!!! i tryed uninstallin steam and reisntalltin steam it worked but the when i ran it i tyred 2 update got 2 100% and den said "server is unavilabe plz try again later" then out of the blue it started 2 work again lord nos y but sooner or later it stope updatiing my games properly (and every1 will no u cant play games while there up[dating!!) so i unistalled after going on holdiay i bnrought the ornage box thiung ill just sort steam out again when i get home and 2 my supprise steam wont work!!!!! it stays "steam platform updating" then gets 2 100% and gives me the message of "sever unavliable plz try later" ive bein tryin eveyr nite 4 a coupld of months now!!!ive tryed the zip patch it did nothing!! PLZ HELP SUM1!!!! ive spend £50 on 2 games i can not use cause of this :(:(:(:( p.s sorry about the bad spelling if anythin is unreable plz say!)

wasted247
02-03-2008, 11:48 AM
rite if u have problem #2 then a gd sloution is 2 find a friend with working steam the copy all his the steam program thingys (excpt steam apps) then delete everythin 2 do with steam on ur computer then copy all of the stuff from ur friends computer 2 urs and it should work! any qeustions plz ask!

-NDW- Unit-02
02-07-2008, 01:36 AM
HELP!!!!!!!! steam is doing this again. the updates of zips was helpful but when steam said they had "fixed" it and the guy stopped updating the file i'm stuck with my download getting to somepoint and then resetting argh it pisses me off. all i want to do is play my games..

anzanmem
03-30-2008, 07:48 PM
issue 2 ( problem #2 ?) is back ! an platform update cause a CRASH when replace the file STEAM.EXE , than when i try run an REPAIR SETUP or a UNINSTALL don´t GO ON...what i to do ?

anzanmem
03-30-2008, 08:45 PM
i forget it...a message says : "Steam.exe (main exception) : ERROR : deleted Steam.exe but the file is still there"...please ! is RARE i play VALVE games because these ones have problems , but when i want , this thing called STEAM DENY because of any ISSUE !

Z3D
04-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Hello everyone,

Finally, if you are unable to get Steam to update after several tries I have placed a full Steam installation directory zip file at this location: http://media.steampowered.com/Steam/SteamFull.zip

Hi, I havn't been able to play my games for months now, orange box not at all.. could you please update and upload the file again. it will fix my problem, thanks.

problem #2
ISP: optus
Make/Model of Modem: Agere systems PCI soft modem
Speed: 56k modem, usually connect to optus at 32.0kbps

hvien
04-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Can the full steam install be made available again please I've had this updating problem since January, I just had to give up on playing all my Steam games because of this ridiculous issue and here I am 4 months later and the Steam install didn't update past 1% in over an hour.

hvien
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
any update or what

hvien
05-11-2008, 09:11 PM
still need help with this, full steam install download would be helpful

Lazy Lion
05-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Not Found

The requested URL /Steam/SteamFull.zip was not found on this server.

... and yes i still have the #2 problem
ISP: BEZEQINT.NET
Make/Model of Modem: Aztech ADSL2+ Ethernet bridge router DSL-600E
Speed: 2.5 Megabytes

shiftoi
06-23-2008, 05:09 PM
I had this problem (#2), and after numerous attempts to install I managed to successfully update after reinstalling the client and selecting a slower connection speed than I actually have.

monkeyy
06-28-2008, 06:02 PM
ah ya b******s and whoever that ♥♥♥ was "its probely your router" ok everyone has a ♥♥♥♥e router get bent.

Im having the same problem now "wonderful" steam admins wont give your money back its "to much hassle" for them to sort out a great deal of difficulty... bye

monkeyy
06-28-2008, 06:04 PM
oh btw whats the crack with the "no steam logon" :D i get it EVERYTIME i go into a match

kanibel
09-11-2008, 05:15 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry some of you are having issues with Steam updating itself. You should know that we are following this thread and we are investigating whether there is a bug that is causing your issues.

It appears that those of you posting in this thread fall into one of two categories:

1) Launch Steam, it says "Steam - Updating" and goes quickly up to 26% and then closes with the message "Steam is already running. You may only run one copy of Steam at a time."

2) Launch Steam, it says "Updating Steam platform", goes up to 33-50% but never finishes and eventually falls after trying 3 times.

For #1, I've identified a bug that can cause this in the self update process. The next client update will include a fix for that bug and hopefully it will resolve your problems.

For #2, what is happening is that the update is failing to completely download from the content server. You will try up to 3 content servers then eventually fail. This issue is not caused by higher speed connections kicking you off the CS as some of you have guessed at. That isn't how the CS works and it will maintain your connection so long as it believes your connection is alive. Right now that is a several minute long timeout where it will drop your connection only if it hasn't received any communication at all from you for several minutes. Even on a dial-up connection this should not be a problem and we are aware of many dial-up users who are in fact updating ok.

I plan to look into #2 more, but as of now it appears that the cause is just really really bad connectivity between you and the CS you are trying to download content from and it is possible this is a problem on your end. What would be useful is for those of you with this issue to post information on your geographical location and the ISP you are using as well as the make/model of your modem and speed of connection. For example:

In order to update using the zip file you must download the file, then extract it over your existing Steam directory. Be warned that this is not a suggested update path, it will overwrite your ClientRegistry.blob file and you will lose some Steam settings/status. However, if you can't manage to update through the normal means this may help you get around that. Your SteamApps folder should be left in place and you will not need to re-download all your games. Until we feel that these issues are all fixed I will continue to keep this file updated with the latest version for you. Please let me know if this is helpful for those of you experiencing problems updating.

Could you get a vista version please. That might sound like a hard task but when i copy over Xp steam installed files doesnt work but vista ones do....

Fallschirmjäger
09-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Whenever an update i have problems with it,can not work,takes ages to do with my dial up.Like usualy need to do it with no pages open for it to best work,like got it going eventualy.But then it can still not open to fast,or other issues where happening too.

Like my DOD S has been not loading up to good,it was on 63% for ages,so deleted it,and now been stuck on 30+% or so.Not shure what it is now,like what i need to delete in my steam folders,in steamapps and accont name folder had DOD S and one saying DOD S beta.Or should i go delete the game in my add or remove programes part.

It says lst used 4/12/2007,is that normal and says 2,702.00 MB,and one on steam said over 4,000 MB?,is that normal.Like seems i have both the older one and beta or something,crazy stuff,any help thanks.

ComradeNachaev
09-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Miracle of miracles. After having been unable to connect to any HL games, especially DOD, since last May because my game simply wouldn't refresh the servers list (http://www.happinessisawarmgun.mammajamma.org/no_connect.htm), the latest update fixed this problem for me.

I have no idea why this weekend's update fixed my connection problem, but I did! :)

Fallschirmjäger
09-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Im still having problems getting my steam to update and open,last week got it open,then again over a few days when i went go to start it,its back to the same thing?.

Ok should i delete steam from add or remove programes where it is 42+ MB though,anyway to keep or what can i keep from it?.Dont get why it says last used on it on the 2/2/2007.Like kanibel what date was that post,as the update new or old then?.As i have a steam full update i think maybe the below one in that post,its at 37 MB,so not far off my add or remove programes one.

So if i remove it,and the other one should take it over right,or i hope it dose,and games i had,i save the steamapps folder,so i dont need to download them again.Thought thinking of taking the DOD S off as problems getting to update quicker,some help on the other post i did would be good too mods.I want to do this soon,as cant get my brother to use admin settings all the time regularly when i want,thanks.

gdgi
09-17-2008, 09:36 PM
just noticed this thread - I've been ranting about it on several other threads for the past 3 days as well. Works perfectly fine at work on my Shaw cable connection, but at home here (on Telus DSL), I haven't been able to download anything for the past 3 days. Now that I've gone and tried one of the suggested 'fixes' - ie delete steam directory, reinstall, I can't get past the 'updating steam platform' loop either.

Very frustrating. Considering how many games I have purchased on Steam over the past several years, not being able to play ANY of them is getting to the point of insulting.

gdgi
09-17-2008, 11:14 PM
In order to verify do the following:

1) Exit Steam if it is running
2) Delete SteamUI.dll from your Steam directory
3) Restart Steam, it will update when it finds SteamUI.dll is missing
4) Verify it updates ok through the normal update process

I have no SteamUI.dll and it's still not updating. downloading the full client zip now to test...hopefully it will work ;]

gdgi
09-18-2008, 12:19 AM
full client zip just starts the 'updating steam' process again, got to 60% this time - but at least it generates a crash dump log thingy now. trying the 'delete steamui.dll' file test next ;]

Fallschirmjäger
09-18-2008, 02:08 AM
Having problems again with the updates,and tried the below in post 1054,and not even moving from 0 too?.(well going higher now,then 0 again and higher...

Well took awhile but got it back,i did not delete my steam and other things.I did delete the blob files and another,so maybe that did it.But when i was going to delete steam i had taken out my steamapps folder.So on the udpate,the steam is on and my RO and DOD S need to be installed again,and my video's of RO and DOD S too,and Source SDK and Source SDK Base.

So can i get these back anyway,dont have to wait for another update i hope.Like could try to install them all again,and see how quick it takes,as on dial up though,and remember awhile im shure.So any mods etc...can help,as not shure should start installing them all again too?.

phenominon32
09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm still having issues, i havnt been able to update for 4 or 5 days now

ISP: Charter
Modem: none, in apartment complex with ethernet wall jacks
speed: maxed at 5 mb/s download, 1Mb/s upload

ScrewD
10-15-2008, 12:26 AM
having to connect and update to play the games you buy is one of the stupidest things ive ever seen.
I bought the orange box 2 weeks ago and this junk always goes to 26% and restarts over and over.

One time it went to 99% over and over.....

so now I cant even play the damn games that I bought. Great job valve.

And ive done every "fix" in this thread 10 times already.... The only "fix" needs to be on valves end because it is NOT all of our problem, its a problem with steam. How about you guys "fix" this by actually letting people play the games they bought without having to connect to the internet.

ScrewD
10-26-2008, 04:12 AM
and still nothing..

Fallschirmjäger
10-27-2008, 02:19 AM
My DOD S i have not played in ages,had some other update problems,but it seems back.But then i go to start it and it needs to update,says not available,its like this with my RO too now,and that was fine before.Still having problems,my 2 games wont go and had mare nostrum up and like the others aswell.

falnano
11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Still having this problem for a week now. Have tryed everything mentioned in this thread. Only thing I can think of doing now is a complete reformat, but I doubt that will do anything.

falnano
11-06-2008, 10:12 AM
/bump

I have spent too much money into steam to not be able to access my games. Can anybody please help and tell me how you got yours to work. My internet is not the greatest, but I doubt that is the problem, I get about 150kbps download.

ScrewD
11-07-2008, 02:12 AM
still cant get this pile of crap known as steam to actually update.

But I do thank the staff from steam for all their help in this thread.
/sarcasm

AciD
11-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Maybe you should contact Steam Support (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1223-QROC-4460)?

notthevictim
03-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Ok, I'm only 13 and kinda confused. I bought Empire: Total War the other day, when I start to install Steam, it gets all the way to 99% and back down to 28% so I guess I have problem #2. I tried many different things I read on other websites. Then i found this. I downloaded the zip file and extracted it to the Steam folder thing and tried again, but that didn't work, and then I deleted that SteamUl.dll thing and tried again but that didn't work. Am I missing any steps or anything. Should I try downloading directly from the website? Also, whenever I start up my computer, it always says that I am already running steam and that I can only run one at a time, forcing my to uninstall and install it again.

Z3D
03-11-2009, 06:45 PM
"Strangely" I can't get through to support so i'll post it here until I do.

-Why is steam updating resetting at 28%?
-How do I fix it?
-I have been having the problem since april 2008 so why hasn't the issue been adressed yet?
-Why is this rediculously demanding & controlling level of copyright protection being used?
-Does my account and all registered software still even exist?
-Will I, in some way, be compensated for 11 months inconvenience?

Thanks.

noodle976
03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
My steam updated but whenever I open it, it doesn't respond any more :|

AciD
03-12-2009, 03:52 AM
"Strangely" I can't get through to support so i'll post it here until I do.

Contacting Steam Support (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1223-QROC-4460)
-Why is steam updating resetting at 28%?
It hangs because it cannot continue installation due to problem with network/software.
-How do I fix it?
Take a look at this FAQ:
Troubleshooting Network Connectivity (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493)
-I have been having the problem since april 2008 so why hasn't the issue been adressed yet?Maybe because issue is on your end?
-Does my account and all registered software still even exist?Yes.
-Will I, in some way, be compensated for 11 months inconvenience?
No.

My steam updated but whenever I open it, it doesn't respond any more :|
Try deleting all files from you Steam installation folder except Steam.exe and SteamApps folder.
Note: If you want to keep your favorite servers list make a backup copy of file serverbrowser.vdf located in C:\Program Files\Steam\config.
(I assume you got Steam installed in C:\Program Files\Steam)

Z3D
03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
*Sigh* AciD....

There's no easy way to put this and I lack the patience anymore to try.

Your assistance is equal to that of a drooling tard! Quoting the FAQ with assumption that it hasn't been consulted in detail100 times already is hardly helpful and ultimately adds to the frustration of the whole problem.

"Customer" My car won't start
"AciD" Try the keys

I'm personally sick of your post count buffing which utterly hinders us getting any real assistance.

STFU & PO..

cryptodan
03-12-2009, 06:21 PM
What operating system is everyone using, I know there was an issue with Windows 2000 users being unable to use Steam, but that has been fixed already.

HL2Fan
03-12-2009, 06:38 PM
*Sigh* AciD....

There's no easy way to put this and I lack the patience anymore to try.

Your assistance is equal to that of a drooling tard! Quoting the FAQ with assumption that it hasn't been consulted in detail100 times already is hardly helpful and ultimately adds to the frustration of the whole problem.

"Customer" My car won't start
"AciD" Try the keys

I'm personally sick of your post count buffing which utterly hinders us getting any real assistance.

STFU & PO..

What are your full computer specs? including router/modem, what security software do you use? operating system including service pack and what is your connection speed?

If you do have a router try going to its home page and disabling the firewall on the router then restart it (this is if you have a router) hardware firewalls tend to be extremely restrictive

AciD
03-13-2009, 02:16 AM
[...]

It's not Valve's fault that you jumped on "Same error message it must be same issue" train. As you probably noticed that issue got fixed *some* time ago and your problem is still present. Why you didn't contacted Steam Support? Earlier you did not stated that you took any steps to troubleshoot your issue so I gave you a link to FAQ so you may try to troubleshoot yourself.

Z3D
03-24-2009, 04:07 AM
So this problem is solved and non-existent? that's wonderful news! /sarcasm

"Same error message it must be same issue train"
my problem is relevant to both the "time frame" and "symptoms" stated in this thread.. I fail to see this as simply coincidental.

The only thing that has changed is steam.. not my system, Steam worked perfectly fine prior the update.

ComradeNachaev
08-20-2009, 05:43 PM
... The only thing that has changed is steam.. not my system, Steam worked perfectly fine prior the update.
Exactly. Having also been someone who suffered through an unexplainable period during which I couldn't get Steam to update properly, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I believe that every Steam update ends up causing problems for a very small minority of Steam users. Somewhere within the interplay of a new Steam update and our individually unique computer's system a problem occurs for a very few people. And the problem is so obscure (and individual) that it can't be easily identified or fixed.

However, there is some good news. The problem eventually goes away due to another future Steam update. There's really nothing that can be done, except to have some patience, and keep the faith knowing that a future update will find your system working perfectly again.

The problem occurs and is solved without apparent rhyme nor reason, however it is somewhere within the intersection of your unique computer system and the Steam update that it both happens and is fixed.

So, just wait... and make sure you update your Steam again after the next update. In all likelihood, as mysteriously as the problem happened, it will be solved... all due in some inexplicable reason to the character of the Steam update and your unique system.

It may be a few weeks, or a month, but I really believe that a future update will solve your probem, not deliberately, but as a matter of course.

Akudama89
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Exactly. Having also been someone who suffered through an unexplainable period during which I couldn't get Steam to update properly, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I believe that every Steam update ends up causing problems for a very small minority of Steam users. Somewhere within the interplay of a new Steam update and our individually unique computer's system a problem occurs for a very few people. And the problem is so obscure (and individual) that it can't be easily identified or fixed.

However, there is some good news. The problem eventually goes away due to another future Steam update. There's really nothing that can be done, except to have some patience, and keep the faith knowing that a future update will find your system working perfectly again.

The problem occurs and is solved without apparent rhyme nor reason, however it is somewhere within the intersection of your unique computer system and the Steam update that it both happens and is fixed.

So, just wait... and make sure you update your Steam again after the next update. In all likelihood, as mysteriously as the problem happened, it will be solved... all due in some inexplicable reason to the character of the Steam update and your unique system.

It may be a few weeks, or a month, but I really believe that a future update will solve your probem, not deliberately, but as a matter of course.

i hope you realize the post you commented on was 5 months ago, also, if people do have a problem like this, do you know if uninstalling steam, and trying to install it again, fixes it?

ComradeNachaev
08-22-2009, 03:38 PM
i hope you realize the post you commented on was 5 months ago, also, if people do have a problem like this, do you know if uninstalling steam, and trying to install it again, fixes it?

As a matter of fact, there was a more recent post to this thread on August 20 by Ragin Caucasion which brought me here. Subsequently Ragin Caucasion's post has been removed. I assume not only his post, but his account likely, given his bogus name. Anyhow, upon reading over the last few posts, I decided to reply to Z3D's comment based on my personal experience with this problem.

As for your question regarding uninstall/re-install, nope it doesn't seem that people have success doing that. I really think it just requires waiting for a future Steam update which will fix the problem as mysteriously as the previous Steam update caused the problem.

KillahInstinct
08-22-2009, 05:35 PM
As a matter of fact, there was a more recent post to this thread on August 20 by Ragin Caucasion which brought me here. Subsequently Ragin Caucasion's post has been removed. I assume not only his post, but his account likely, given his bogus name. Anyhow, upon reading over the last few posts, I decided to reply to Z3D's comment based on my personal experience with this problem.
Actually the thread was split up and his post was moved here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945243) (as it wasn't related to this topic), his account was not removed.

stends
11-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I haven't had the chance to read the entire thread but the symptoms remind me of TCP mss adjustments done wrong or are not done at all. Essential ICMP packets are being dropped at some point between sender/receiver. TCP checksum is calculated and replaced but never verified. Many end-user routers have been known to fall into some or all categories in a seemingly random pattern.

TCP mss (maximum segment size) is a value in TCP packets with the SYN flag set that indicates the maximum TCP packet size on the TCP connections used for communication. Routers on the path between computers may lower this value if the path MTU is lower. Without this mechanism we would see a several second lag whenever we first sent an over sized TCP frame to any computer with a lower MTU than the sender.
The mechanism breaks down completely (And you'll experience the symptoms in the thread) when the following happens;

1) MTU is lowered at some link between sender and receiver AND tcp mss is not lowered appropriately AND ICMP fragmentation-needed packets are never received at the transmitting end.

2) MTU is lowered at some link between sender and receiver AND tcp mss is lowered but at some point another router increases it back up AND ICMP fragmentation-needed packets are never received at the transmitting end.

--

ICMP packets are sent by routers to indicate that when a frame, with Dont-Fragment set, is to be forwarded across a link that can't handle the frame's size it must generate an ICMP fragmentation-needed packet to sender of the over sized frame. If this is not sent or is dropped then sender will retry the same oversized frame until the TCP connection is considered dead.

Sometimes modems or network cards of any medium have had issues where certain combinations of bit patterns have resulted in wrong bit pattern transmitted or received, this can sometimes happen and is a flaw.

Additionally if corruption occurs on a frame, while in transit, and any of the routers in between never verifies the tcp checksum or ip checksum (but of course recalculates it and replaces the checksum in the frame) then you will experience broken TCP connections.

Encrypted connections are often more prone to failure. Not because they are encrypted but since an error is more likely to throw the upper layers out of sync and therefore either breaking the connection at roughly the same place.

Multiple paths between the two connection endpoints may attribute to the coming and going of this types of errors, for some.
In my experience low-end D-Link firewalls/routers tend to be the worst offender in all categories but i have not tried all brands.

viper952
03-26-2010, 10:03 AM
http://media.steampowered.com/Steam/SteamFull.zip
went to that website and got a 404 not found error!
is there another website?

Killerwatt
03-26-2010, 11:04 AM
http://media.steampowered.com/Steam/SteamFull.zip
went to that website and got a 404 not found error!
is there another website?

As you see, that full installation zip was posted more than 2 years ago. So even if it worked, you would get a heavily outdated Steam installation, which would start updating with the newest release as soon as it's launched. So don't bother yourself with that.

viper952
03-26-2010, 11:14 AM
As you see, that full installation zip was posted more than 2 years ago. So even if it worked, you would get a heavily outdated Steam installation, which would start updating with the newest release as soon as it's launched. So don't bother yourself with that.

damn :mad:
well
thanks for the info

rlsuth
04-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Everything updated very quickly but only after I completely uninstalled Zone Alarm. After the update, I reinstalled and now have no problems. I'd love to know what Steam is trying to do that the firewall is blocking?