PDA

View Full Version : steam update

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

StianLeRoux
11-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi my steam doesn't want to update. It goes to 28% or 30% and then stops and restarts. I tried almost everything there is to try, deleting clientregistry, replacing exe, reinstalling steam, restarting etc.

Could anyone help me. I tried now al for 3 days. I really want to play teamfortress 2. Please help!!!!!!!

My firewall exceptions for steam has been added and my anti virus firewall to.

HELP

/Edit by Moderator:
Anyone experiencing this error please have a look at post 830 (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7044096&postcount=830).
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry some of you are having issues with Steam updating itself. You should know that we are following this thread and we are investigating whether there is a bug that is causing your issues.

It appears that those of you posting in this thread fall into one of two categories:

1) Launch Steam, it says "Steam - Updating" and goes quickly up to 26% and then closes with the message "Steam is already running. You may only run one copy of Steam at a time."

2) Launch Steam, it says "Updating Steam platform", goes up to 33-50% but never finishes and eventually falls after trying 3 times.

For #1, I've identified a bug that can cause this in the self update process. The next client update will include a fix for that bug and hopefully it will resolve your problems.

For #2, what is happening is that the update is failing to completely download from the content server. You will try up to 3 content servers then eventually fail. This issue is not caused by higher speed connections kicking you off the CS as some of you have guessed at. That isn't how the CS works and it will maintain your connection so long as it believes your connection is alive. Right now that is a several minute long timeout where it will drop your connection only if it hasn't received any communication at all from you for several minutes. Even on a dial-up connection this should not be a problem and we are aware of many dial-up users who are in fact updating ok.

I plan to look into #2 more, but as of now it appears that the cause is just really really bad connectivity between you and the CS you are trying to download content from and it is possible this is a problem on your end. What would be useful is for those of you with this issue to post information on your geographical location and the ISP you are using as well as the make/model of your modem and speed of connection. For example:

ISP: AOL
Make/Model of Modem: US Robotics 56k V.92 business modem
Speed: 56k modem, usually connect to AOL at 42.2k

Finally, if you are unable to get Steam to update after several tries I have placed a full Steam installation directory zip file at this location: http://media.steampowered.com/Steam/SteamFull.zip

In order to update using the zip file you must download the file, then extract it over your existing Steam directory. Be warned that this is not a suggested update path, it will overwrite your ClientRegistry.blob file and you will lose some Steam settings/status. However, if you can't manage to update through the normal means this may help you get around that. Your SteamApps folder should be left in place and you will not need to re-download all your games. Until we feel that these issues are all fixed I will continue to keep this file updated with the latest version for you. Please let me know if this is helpful for those of you experiencing problems updating.
Thanks for all the info on your connections.

We think we may now have a lead on what changed recently leading to problem #2. It looks like a server side fix so we'll make some adjustments and I'll let you know when we believe we have it working so some of you can verify for us.

Issue Resolved:
We have just now finished updating all of our Content Servers with new code that should solve issue #2. If you would like to help us verify the issue is fixed (please do!) then you can do so even if you have already used the .zip file.

In order to verify do the following:

1) Exit Steam if it is running
2) Delete SteamUI.dll from your Steam directory
3) Restart Steam, it will update when it finds SteamUI.dll is missing
4) Verify it updates ok through the normal update process

If you try this more than a couple times and continue to fail please let us know. Also, should that happen (which we don't expect it to) you can still use the .zip file to manually update.

vertex.mix
11-12-2007, 12:27 AM
hi man. my steam not update too.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622351

phoenix_1619
11-12-2007, 02:42 AM
Hi guys

New user from Europe, I tried installing HL2 on Friday and Steam can't seem to get past the updating platform bit (updates to 32% then resets to 0%, repeats three or four times until the message "Steam temporarily unavailable, please try again later" appears)

I've tried to reinstall, changed the Firewall exceptions and pretty much all other solutions suggested on the forums.

There seem to be sporadic reports in other users posts that their games are suddenly unavailable or that the games won't update.

Is this all connected?

I can't find any records of a Steam server outage reported on the site, can anyone help?

Cheers

dustbunny
11-12-2007, 03:35 AM
Make sure your firewalls allow Steam to access the net.

StianLeRoux
11-12-2007, 03:57 AM
yes the firewall exception for steam can acess internet. Any other bright ideas please let me know!!!!!!!!

dustbunny
11-12-2007, 03:59 AM
What fire wall are you using, and do you use any other security applications.

vertex.mix
11-12-2007, 04:02 AM
i am not use firewall and security applications.

and steam platforma not update

Steam not update platform (updates to 32% then resets to 0%,
"Steam temporarily unavailable, please try again later" appears)

Why ???

dustbunny
11-12-2007, 04:04 AM
i am not use firewall and security applications.

and steam platforma not update

Do you have a router, how do you connect to the net.

Note: use the edit button, and we already know your issue.

vertex.mix
11-12-2007, 04:09 AM
i from Russia

PPPoE DSL 64 k/bit

dustbunny
11-12-2007, 04:10 AM
i from Russia

PPPoE DSL 64 k/bit

Can you list your add/remove programs?

vertex.mix
11-12-2007, 04:21 AM
look my programs
http://i017.radikal.ru/0711/9b/68819d7fa035.jpg
http://i033.radikal.ru/0711/59/3dc9c82d9135.jpg

dustbunny
11-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Get rid of the Intel Application Accelerator.

phoenix_1619
11-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Do you have a router, how do you connect to the net.

Note: use the edit button, and we already know your issue.

Uk user, still on 56k dial up I'm ashamed to say :eek:

I'm using the XP firewall and I have set the exceptions to allow Steam (the update actually reaches 32% before resetting to 0%, so Steam is connecting to the update server it just can't complete the platform update)

Any assistance you can give is appreciated (I need my HL2 fix;) )

StianLeRoux
11-12-2007, 04:28 AM
im also using xp firewall and have avast installed. My internet is 460 kb/s connection. Help

dustbunny
11-12-2007, 04:28 AM
Uk user, still on 56k dial up I'm ashamed to say :eek:

I'm using the XP firewall and I have set the exceptions to allow Steam (the update actually reaches 32% before resetting to 0%, so Steam is connecting to the update server it just can't complete the platform update)

Any assistance you can give is appreciated (I need my HL2 fix;) )

Try disabling the firewall all together.

vertex.mix
11-12-2007, 04:43 AM
Get rid of the Intel Application Accelerator.

not help

steam platforma not update

phoenix_1619
11-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Try disabling the firewall all together.

Nope...nada:confused:

Switched the Firewall off completely but still can't update past 30%...same "Steam temp Unavailable" message

T!nky
11-12-2007, 10:16 AM
yes.. i have too this problem... bacouse when i delete clientregistry.blob my steam cant update..(30%-60% and restarting)... i from Russia too:-\

idolminds
11-12-2007, 10:46 AM
This seems to be the new, larger thread on the subject. I am also having this problem, also on XP and dialup. Did everything suggested, deleted the .blob, reinstalled entirely, firewall exceptions confirmed, ran without firewall at all, etc. The problem remains. As I said in the other thread, Steam is generating a .mdmp file, which seems to be a crash report? I can upload mine if its requested.

vertex.mix
11-12-2007, 06:17 PM
HELP ME PEOPLE STEAM PLATFORMA NOT UPDATE

Tri_71st
11-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I have tried all the so called solutions and I get what everyone gets no up date.First Steam starts to update,goes to 28% then closes then starts the platform update gets to 36% and then stops and starts 3 times then says steam sever is no longer avalible.Im also on dial up but not by choice but have to if I want to use the web. Please help.

vertex.mix
11-12-2007, 09:33 PM
PLEASE HELP

KillahInstinct
11-12-2007, 10:53 PM
The following links (and their suggestions) might be helpful:
- Steam Problem: Download always stalls at a certain percentage
- Steam Problem: Stalled download (particularly the ClientRegistry.blob part)

Tri_71st
11-12-2007, 11:11 PM
sry Killah done the first one no good cant get to the part of downloading a game for the second to even help

dark_assasin178
11-12-2007, 11:45 PM
that has been the same case for everyone who is new or is installing a fresh new install of steam. steam is ignoring these problems and that guy who always thinks hes helping by putting urls to possible solutions is just being ??? now. i get it u wanna help but u might want to look around and see that the problem isnt anything to do with the client KillahInstinct y dont u uninstall steam delet ur gcfs and reinstall steam and u will know what we are talking about...

KillahInstinct
11-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Just making sure no (possible) solution is overlooked :)

Don't have Steam installed currently, my new laptop arrives Friday - so I can't try your suggestion ;) *fingers crossed*

dark_assasin178
11-13-2007, 12:12 AM
This seems to be the new, larger thread on the subject. I am also having this problem, also on XP and dialup. Did everything suggested, deleted the .blob, reinstalled entirely, firewall exceptions confirmed, ran without firewall at all, etc. The problem remains. As I said in the other thread, Steam is generating a .mdmp file, which seems to be a crash report? I can upload mine if its requested.

hey thats intresting.. id like to see how u got that.. so if steams making us download a crash report then y dont they fix it now rather than ignore it..
typical steam a suggestion may be to try a pre installed steam like the steam folder from a frend and launch steam with that i dont know if it will actually work or not

KillahInstinct
11-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Please contact Support with the .mdmp file - which is indeed a crash report.

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Guess I'll post here too, I'm getting the same thing.
Starts at 0%, jumps to 28% then downloads to 32% and restarts. Downloads around 750-850kb before it resets the connection... Deleted client blob, and also the steam dlls that the steam support told me too but still same symptoms.

StianLeRoux
11-13-2007, 03:08 AM
I am wondering why isnt steam technical team not doing anything about the problem come on guys help us.

KimmorleyKiller
11-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Well i got my hands on a pre-loaded steam. Didn't work, still made me update. No doubt it needs appropriate registy entries...

Anyway heres a link if anyone wants a go: <<LINK REMOVED>>
I urge anyone who's having this problem to fill out an error report, just so steam know how many people are experiencing this issue.

Im also getting the crash report from steam...

Steven_m64
11-13-2007, 04:47 AM
I'm also getting the same problems now also, steam when launched will update go up to around 30% and it may restart and fail again, it may retry up anywhere from 3-5 times then final time it will say the temporarily unavailable error and exit.

steam has always worked on this pc up until now and i don't have any programs that interfere with steam and i know it is not a router/connection problem.

i know your trying to help KillahInstinct but from when i was looking into this problem there seems to be a good number of other people getting this same problem and moderators will constantly summarily dismiss users and tell them its their fault or its a problem with their setup, most of the time it is their fault in some way but try and not be so quick to just post the same connection problem support links again and again.

dustbunny
11-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Could be an issue with specific routers on the net.

Cirale
11-13-2007, 10:26 AM
/signed

I am having the same problem. I made a post about, found here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622880

anyways, nothing in there helped me but maybe some of that advice will help someone else. This all smells of something server/internet related though, as location/connection dont seem to have any common threads between everyone that is effected.

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Well i got my hands on a pre-loaded steam. Didn't work, still made me update. No doubt it needs appropriate registy entries...

Anyway heres a link if anyone wants a go:

I'll give that a go, but i'll bet it still makes me update. I think its the client blob that tells it when it is out of date, rather than a registry setting.

idolminds
11-13-2007, 11:19 AM
All right, reported the problem and included the crash report. Hopefully we can get some info soon.

Cirale
11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
I'll give that a go, but i'll bet it still makes me update. I think its the client blob that tells it when it is out of date, rather than a registry setting.

Let us know how it goes.

I tried DLing the .dll files it says are missing when you try and open steam without an internet connection, but still ran into the same problems.

eXpZA
11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Getting the same problem, so I deleted my steam folder except for my GCF's and reinstalled Steam. Gets to a certain percentage and just exits. I've tried looking at the Support thingie "Steam stops at a certain percentage"

Oh well :(

phoenix_1619
11-13-2007, 02:29 PM
All right, reported the problem and included the crash report. Hopefully we can get some info soon.

Ditto

Just submitted my own report as well...hopefully we'll get a response soon.

Might be best if all of the other guys and gals here who also have this problem send their error reports as well, the more of us who report it the quicker the problem will be identified and corrected (fingers crossed;) )

KimmorleyKiller
11-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Heres another stand-alone link: <<LINK REMOVED>>

This one also doesn't work for me, but it doesnt make me update either,

Give it a try, may work for you...

dark_assasin178
11-13-2007, 07:56 PM
kimmorley the url was removed b4 i could get it... so it dosnt make u update but how dosnt it work?

KillahInstinct
11-13-2007, 09:47 PM
It's pretty much the only thing we can do - for actual support, you know where to go (let me not post the link this time ;)).

We make sure the common solutions are tried, and then try and narrow down the issue (region/router etc - as dustbunny is trying to do) and if we then see the issue, we can try to adress it to Valve :)

dasvidanya
11-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Thank God! I have this EXACT same problem!

I have 56K, and Steam work brilliant all the time on my old computer, but then I got a new one on November 1st, and when I tried to install Steam a few days later, this started. I even reformatted and tried to install Steam with nothing but my drivers installed. Same error. Tried it at a friend's who had cable after that, same error, still with nothing but drivers and Steam installed and Windows Firewall disabled.

Jacfu
11-14-2007, 01:13 AM
yip, same problem here...
it's happened before and fixed itself
so hopefully it will get sorted sooner or later...

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-14-2007, 01:25 AM
yip, same problem here...
it's happened before and fixed itself
so hopefully it will get sorted sooner or later...

Yes same here, I had the same thing but then it fixed its self within a few days.
But this one has been a running bug for more than a week now, since the last steam update which is quite a long time...

I tried that full cache of steam and it seems to do the exact same thing, and now it looks like that sort of file is not allowed (links have been removed, not reason given though..).

Try and point people with same problem into this thread and keep it alive.

eXpZA
11-14-2007, 02:51 AM
Still can't update steam. I've completely deleted it and tried reinstalling. Gets to a random percentage and then goes back to 0%, then crashes.

Come now, fix this.

dark_assasin178
11-14-2007, 03:11 AM
~bump~ indeed!

RipperLord
11-14-2007, 03:19 AM
Im running Vista x64 with 1.5mb/s Cable Broadband and have the exact problem. Valve fix the dam program (Steam)... :mad:

KimmorleyKiller
11-14-2007, 03:45 AM
I see there was a steam update yesterday, this obviously doesn't fix it for anybody?

RipperLord
11-14-2007, 03:48 AM
I see there was a steam update yesterday, this obviously doesn't fix it for anybody?

Nope, not me at least.

eXpZA
11-14-2007, 04:05 AM
Nope, not me at least.

Me neither :rolleyes:

Steven_m64
11-14-2007, 04:39 AM
what the hell my other computer refuses to download the newest steam background update now also it just sits and stalls at about .3MB.

this makes it 2 computers now that have serious steam problems ( both do not have any connectivity/router issues or issues with other programs. )

there has to be some problem with one of the steam content/client servers.

dark_assasin178
11-14-2007, 07:12 AM
HEY GUYS MY STEAM UPDATED TODAY

it was strange but somehow it updated! it started at 28% as usual.. it went to 32% before it went back to 0% i thot oh fark steam is still screwd.. it went to 30% before stalling a little bit i was almost about to press cancel when it kept going... and going... till 100%! so im all back to normal now.. you all should be able to update ur steam now as it seems good luck guys!

eXpZA
11-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Will give it a try Dark. Thanks for letting us know.

eXpSbK
11-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Will give it a try Dark. Thanks for letting us know.

I hate people like you.

eXpZA
11-14-2007, 08:52 AM
You're what I like to call "Hardcor3"

No luck with the Steam... oh well :(

StianLeRoux
11-14-2007, 08:57 AM
it works YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

dasvidanya
11-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Nothing here... I hope this gets fixed soon.

DEMONIIIK
11-14-2007, 09:57 AM
I belive it's just random problems. What I'd suggest doing is to start it on your way out to work/school. It's very possible it's just hiccuping.

If you are home for the day, open up Steam and chill out on the forums while you wait. It works :D

4rr0w
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Me too, and a whole thread of people over here in NZ.
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/288958/?s=
funny thing is a lot us having the problem here are on the same internet plan, and I've also noticed a lot of people are saying that they have this problem with 56k.

dasvidanya
11-14-2007, 12:40 PM
I belive it's just random problems. What I'd suggest doing is to start it on your way out to work/school. It's very possible it's just hiccuping.

If you are home for the day, open up Steam and chill out on the forums while you wait. It works :D

No... it really doesn't work. I've tried countless times today, and it ALWAYS gets to between 30 and 32% and then tells me that Steam is temporarily unavailable and then quits. There is no solution that works and it seems to be pretty widespread, and both 56K and broadband users are affected.

Edit: I almost believe Steam seems to be phasing out 56K users. Maybe paranoid, but.. this error is just stupid, and I've been using Steam without errot on 56K since 2004 when I got HL2 for Christmas. I wish I could play the product I played fifty dollars for.

4rr0w
11-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm going to open a support ticket. I encourage you all to do the same.
Heres the link. (http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=294)

phoenix_1619
11-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Nope, still suffering here as well:eek:

Though it's good to see at least some of us have been able to get back on-line, hopefully won't be much longer for the rest of us ;)

dasvidanya
11-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Opened a support ticket last week, have yet to hear anything back. Honestly don't believe I'll get anything but C&P answers or links to things I've already tried.

4rr0w
11-14-2007, 02:12 PM
ahh I wanna play cs!!

Autoarbitaster
11-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Australia, 1536kbit/256kbit adsl.

Mine is a fresh install, just bought OB. When I first start update slowly counts up to anywhere between 28-36 percent without indication in the progress bar, at this point its downloaded about 1mb disconnects from the server, goes to 0, finds another server, progress bar appears for the first time and progress starts at 28 at this point its downloaded less than 100kb from the new server,etc, then usually a message that steam is unavailable, or rarely it closes without warning. Two days ago I did a fresh install of a friend's copy of OB ad steam updated in 30 seconds or so. Also within the last month I installed steam and it updated in no more than 5 seconds.

Today I will leave a runaway loop batch file that launches steam if it closes
it looks like this:

:start
steam.exe
goto start

Needless to say i've tried everything, And this would piss me off a great deal less if Valve would announce that they recognise that there is a pandemic with steam, and are working to fix it.

KimmorleyKiller
11-14-2007, 04:06 PM
No change in mine, still haven't heard anything from the techies either.

_Joker_
11-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Whats with Steam Update resetting. Its not a router or firewall problem.
I've been on Steam for 2 years now and this is the first time this has happened to me.
I've been trying to update now for more than 4 hours.

Diablo-X =GCHQ=
11-14-2007, 04:21 PM
I too came here after reading on another forum that on the Steam forums they actually had a Sticky thread dedicated to this 'Steam is already running' crap, but I guess not unless I'm blind...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Rosskowilko/Untitled-3.png

Anyway, I had this problem awhile ago, now I fixed it by reinstalling Steam, forgetting that this would mean reinstalling EVERY game, which took pretty much a whole day which I don't intent to repeat.

Cutting the story short, is their some sort of code I can place somewhere that will stop this updating / steam already running malarky.

Oh and if anyone replies to this with 'dude omgz just go into taskmanager lolz and also stop it runingz on startup and ur firewall blah' I WILL hunt you down.

EDIT: Man I made a signature all ready for this forum as well, I'll post a link anyway so it's not wasted time. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Rosskowilko/Annoyance.png

4rr0w
11-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Australia, 1536kbit/256kbit adsl.

Mine is a fresh install, just bought OB. When I first start update slowly counts up to anywhere between 28-36 percent without indication in the progress bar, at this point its downloaded about 1mb disconnects from the server, goes to 0, finds another server, progress bar appears for the first time and progress starts at 28 at this point its downloaded less than 100kb from the new server,etc, then usually a message that steam is unavailable, or rarely it closes without warning. Two days ago I did a fresh install of a friend's copy of OB ad steam updated in 30 seconds or so. Also within the last month I installed steam and it updated in no more than 5 seconds.

Today I will leave a runaway loop batch file that launches steam if it closes
it looks like this:

steam.exe
goto start

Needless to say i've tried everything, And this would piss me off a great deal less if Valve would announce that they recognise that there is a pandemic with steam, and are working to fix it.

Thats a good idea, if anyone else want to know how to do this, open notepad and copy this text in.
steam.exe
goto start
save as a .bat and put it in your steam folder and then run it :)

_Joker_
11-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Any 1 have any luck yet?

vertex.mix
11-14-2007, 07:44 PM
steam not update...i want play cs why my steam platforma not update?

Alasdair.
11-14-2007, 08:20 PM
A few hours ago I started Steam - it wouldn't update. I restarted my PC, started Steam, then had to leave.

I've just got back, and it's stuck at 13% - not moving.

KimmorleyKiller
11-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Have the moderators had any communication with the tech team thus far?

juppy73701
11-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Same problem here. Dunno what happened.....Steam has been working fine ever since I installed the original HL2 way back when. It even updated fine for me two days ago, but tonight it gets to 26% and loops back to 0% to start over again.

Doesn't matter what game I try to start, I've tried 'em all....HL2, EP1, EP2, Portal, even just starting the Steam client by itself.....no workie. And yeah, I'm on dialup too (unfortunate side effect of living in the sticks). No router, only Windows Firewall, Avast Antivirus, and Spybot for security, and Steam always ran fine with all of these active in the past. This is rather annoying, especially since half the time my game won't even let me play offline and with Steam not being able to update I can't get online to start my games at all. GRRRRRR!!!!

Alasdair.
11-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Any new advice?

"Ummm, *checks notes* ...tried deleting ClientRegi- you have? Hmm. Okay, what about your rout- Not that either huh? Hmmm."

Autoarbitaster
11-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Some intrigue for all of you, I just installed OB on a friend's pc and it updated fine, albeit slowly, so I created my account etc. and copied all the steam files and exported all registry keys with the term steam in them, copied the files and tested on my pc it appeared to work, (without merging the reg files i'd made) and I logged in etc. then I got a 'updating steam platform' though different format to the fresh install type, and thought 'OH EXCRETION, DEITY, SEXUAL INTERCOURSE, SHEATH, etc'... but it updated ! So I dare say this means that there is a configuration problem on the client-side (this seems doubtful based on my evidence), or on the client's ISP side, or a bandwidth limitation, with the stock steam installer. But this is no less a pandemic, and I dare say these possible causes are artificial obsolescence.

dasvidanya
11-15-2007, 01:26 AM
I think it's time for us 56K users admit Valve doesn't give a crap about use. The last post a mod made was three pages back. I bet you if this was a highspeed problem, the mods and tech support would be all over it.

If you are not going to bother letting the 50,000+ people who, according to your poll, use dial-up play your products, shouldn't we all get refunds? I paid fifty dollars for a game, not a paperweight. Even though I also already owned HL2 and Episode 1!

This is not right and I hate assuming we are just going to be ignored, and I honestly hope I'm wrong.

Alasdair.
11-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Not just people on dial up that are effected by this...

Diablo-X =GCHQ=
11-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Not just people on dial up that are effected by this...

/signed, 2mb connection here ftw. Didn't realise Dial up still existed, all the ISP's I know of have stopped doing it anyway..

Also are we to believe that no one at Valve has Vista and has tried to launch Steam since the last updates? Hmm, maybe their fixing it now or is that wishful thinking..

KimmorleyKiller
11-15-2007, 04:06 AM
I did get a refund ;)

Me: Hi, id like to return this please.

Chick: Sorry sir, you've had it longer than the allowable refund date.

Me: Look mate, i paid $100 for a game that doesn't install, regardless of how much i pwn the recommended requirements. Now unless you want me to involve the department of fair trading, i suggest you give me a refund.

Chick: Ummm...ok sir, just one moment.

<runs off to cry to manager>

Chick: ...we're happy to offer a refund sir, i hope you have a nice day

Ker-ching.

Diablo-X =GCHQ=
11-15-2007, 07:57 AM
'I figured it out. Go to your steam folder in program files, cut the file steam.exe and paste it on your desktop. Then click your normal link to start steam and it will put all the update files on your desktop. Cut all the update files including steam.exe and paste it in your steam folder so it overites all the updated files and merges all the folders. Then just start steam. Im running Vista 64 bit edition and it worked for me, hope this helps .'

Got it from another thread, it worked for me!

mrix
11-15-2007, 09:19 AM
WOW Nice Fix worked a treat! :)
cheers
|2es-mrix

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-15-2007, 11:08 AM
'I figured it out. Go to your steam folder in program files, cut the file steam.exe and paste it on your desktop. Then click your normal link to start steam and it will put all the update files on your desktop. Cut all the update files including steam.exe and paste it in your steam folder so it overites all the updated files and merges all the folders. Then just start steam. Im running Vista 64 bit edition and it worked for me, hope this helps .'

Dang, doesn't appear to work for XP :rolleyes:

juppy73701
11-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Dang, doesn't appear to work for XP :rolleyes: Same here.....using XP.....still hosed. :rolleyes:

dustbunny
11-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Can you try to install to a different location?

like c:\steam or c:\valve\steam

Beelzebud
11-15-2007, 12:14 PM

Vista Ultimate 32bit here. It updated fine to desktop, but when I merged dirctories it still tried to auto-update and then hangs at 26% again.

Diablo-X =GCHQ=
11-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Vista Ultimate 32bit here. It updated fine to desktop, but when I merged dirctories it still tried to auto-update and then hangs at 26% again.

Well, I cut, then pasted my steam.exe file onto the desktop. I tried to run my normal shortcut and it failed, then I ran the steam.exe on my desktop, it went to 26%, disapeared, then reappeared and went past 26% and fully updated, files started popping up on my desktop :), then cut, pasted them all into my steam folder, replaced them all, and steam worked.

4rr0w
11-15-2007, 01:16 PM
what forum did you find that on? the didn't mention a fix for xp did they? :)

Alasdair.
11-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Brilliant, last night I finally managed to get into Steam and play a few games.

This morning, back to square one.

Steam - Updating - 0% complete

phoenix_1619
11-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Nope, still no joy here either...and still not a peep from tech support:rolleyes:

zebonetworks
11-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Solution:

Remove the last 4 Windows updates, restart computer.

4rr0w
11-15-2007, 03:52 PM
thats only for vista though isnt it?

KimmorleyKiller
11-15-2007, 04:06 PM
I tried with a clean install of vista the other day, and it made no difference...

zebonetworks
11-15-2007, 04:07 PM
worked for me on vista, but you might as well try removing any updates that were installed when steam stopped working.. if it makes no diff, then windows will just re-install them anyway.

Cinekydo
11-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Totally uninstalling and reinstalling steam worked...of course now I have to reinstall all of my games...but its better than it not working.

Alasdair.
11-15-2007, 05:44 PM
So, out a fit of frustration, I did the following:

Thats a good idea, if anyone else want to know how to do this, open notepad and copy this text in.
steam.exe
goto start
save as a .bat and put it in your steam folder and then run it :)

and proceeded to run the .bat as many times as I could click. My PC was basically dead. But then:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3104/lolhk7.jpg

Hmm, perhaps that's a new one the forum mods should add to their list?

"Tried flooding yourself with Steam?"

I don't really know what to say - if anyone out there is still (and there's probably alot of you) not able to boot up Steam, try what I did - be prepared for a few minutes of clicking CLOSE on hundreds of windows though.

I've just tried closing and opening Steam again - and we're back to

Steam - Updating - 0%

I'm off to flood myself to death again, been a while since I've played CS =\

dark_assasin178
11-15-2007, 06:35 PM
guys try like 2 am in the morning thats when i kept trying and it worked

Alasdair.
11-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Hmm..it didn't last long - Steam performed an illegal operation, and my flood method doesn't seem to be working.

Fix Steam ffs.

Zer0^
11-15-2007, 07:33 PM
what!! you still use dailup u gotta have like 1000000 latency.. had dailup 7 years ago played quake with high ping it sucked,, lucky me i live in sweden best connections here :D tho my connection sucks,, and steam is screwy,,

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Totally uninstalling and reinstalling steam worked...of course now I have to reinstall all of my games...but its better than it not working.

Next time backup your steamapps folder to save having to re-download :)

KimmorleyKiller
11-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Got any news for us yet moddies?

RipperLord
11-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Nop, I just subscribed to the Steam News RSS and looking for the next Steam Updates. FFS this is incredibly lame (waiting to play your own ????ing bought games...) From :confused: to :eek: to :mad: to :o

dark_assasin178
11-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Brilliant, last night I finally managed to get into Steam and play a few games.

This morning, back to square one.

Steam - Updating - 0% complete

hey man.. yea theres another steam update today... mine dosnt want to update AGAIN.. goes to 14-16% then restarts to 0% then goes to 4% then stops again...

ffs i wanna hammer steam in... DO NOT BYPASS WORD FILTERS!

Alasdair.
11-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Man, this really sucks.

Update already damn it! Been going on for bloody ages, since yesterday! :@

4rr0w
11-16-2007, 12:37 AM
hasnt worked for me for about 3 days, really getting sick of this.

eXpZA
11-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Likewise, haven't been able to open steam for ages and ages now.
Maybe it would help if we tried to figure out a pattern... where is everyone that's getting this from / not from.

Are any USA people getting this problem?
I'm from South Africa.

Zer0^
11-16-2007, 02:26 AM
shouldent matter what countury you´re from,,

KimmorleyKiller
11-16-2007, 02:26 AM
Yeah, we've played this game.

A lot of affected users are on dialup, from all around the globe. I don't think it's a server problem, as it seems to have only started after the last client update.

Steam is obviously trying to wipe out it's dialup contingent ;)

Zer0^
11-16-2007, 02:29 AM
alot cheaper with dsl why dont u buy that?

eXpZA
11-16-2007, 02:34 AM
The thing is, I'm not on dialup and from what I've been reading neither are a lot of people. I'm on 384K DSL.

I'm just thinking that maybe a few of the content servers have gone haywire, or maybe a really big one. (From what I can gather when using Netlimiter to check IP's, most if not all South African users get their updates from German Based Content Servers - I think)

Possible? Or am I just going on a tangent ? :)

KimmorleyKiller
11-16-2007, 02:36 AM
alot cheaper with dsl why dont u buy that?

I would if i could mate, but unfortunately not everywhere has coverage.

Im actually on one-way satellite, but running the steam client through the proxy doesnt make a difference.

Edit: The thing is, I'm not on dialup and from what I've been reading neither are a lot of people. I'm on 384K DSL.

I'm just thinking that maybe a few of the content servers have gone haywire, or maybe a really big one. (From what I can gather when using Netlimiter to check IP's, most if not all South African users get their updates from German Based Content Servers - I think)

Possible? Or am I just going on a tangent ? :)

Im in Australia, mine connects to the european servers.

utu4u
11-16-2007, 02:44 AM
i had problems the last few days. it kept stopping and going back to 0%. i kept retrying then it suddenly worked.

i hope u guys hav same luck

Zer0^
11-16-2007, 02:50 AM
I would if i could mate, but unfortunately not everywhere has coverage.

Im actually on one-way satellite, but running the steam client through the proxy doesnt make a difference.

oh :( that sucks, dude,

btw the players that use netlimiter should now it often blocks online games so you cant play or update,,.

Edit: can you play on a cs server or any game online with a crappy connection? gotta get 4000 latency?

Tckey
11-16-2007, 03:04 AM
you may have to uninstall steam and then re-install it. All of your programs will have to be downloaded again though.

Zer0^
11-16-2007, 03:06 AM
dont think that will work,, people have tried that

juppy73701
11-16-2007, 11:40 AM
For whoever asked if anyone in the U.S. is having this happen, yeah, that's where I'm at. Oklahoma to be exact.

I seriously don't think it has to do with anybody's setup, coz I was able to update fine just a few days ago and nothing has changed on my system except for the latest Windows Update (using XP). I uninstalled that yesterday though, thinking that (KB943460) was the problem, still no joy so I put it back on again.

The majority of users having the problem are using dialup (myself included) but it's not exclusive. There are a few broadbanders having the problem too. So, to me, that only leaves something on the server end being hosed, like eXpZA suggested above.

As for upgrading from dialup, I too wish I could, but around here if you don't live in a decent sized city, you don't get dsl. Only option is satellite and the lowest priced package I can find for our area is like $400 for equipment and then $69 a month for service. No way am I paying that much for internet. :)

eXpZA
11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Still nothing on this side... what's really starting to scare me though is the lack of official response. Surely SOMEONE has noticed the forums posts / tickets / anything and will at least acknowledge the problem?

Jusuchin
11-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Ok, I have been waiting validation to post, and I finally can.

Alright so I am having the same problem and I am from Wisconsin in the USA so yeah it's not just a country thing. Second, I am at a University (Stevens Point to be exact) and on their edu connection. Now I know I can get on steam and play the games (just bad latency), so that is not the problem... It is whatever else everyone else is having and I would REALLY like to get this fixed as I haven't been able to get on in over 3 weeks.

Please Valve/Steam, fix this...
I have tried all of the things here plus other things of my own idea, and am by no means a novice computer user. They have not worked.

Another user, calling out for help.

Oh and also to make it clear I am running XP Pro SP2 and a very decent gaming system built by myself.

Tckey
11-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Only fix that worked for me. Uninstall and reinstall Steam.

Mr no skill
11-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Signed.

I like how they can find time to edit our posts but not answer the question why the hell can't I play my games I paid good money for. I'm emailing gabe and suggest you do the same. GabeN@valvesoftware.com

jmc00jmc
11-16-2007, 05:49 PM
hey
i was about ready to punch my desk because i was hanging at 26% and getting the "steam is already running" error, the morning after buying Orange Box, before I even got to try the games. and i'm on the last level in Bioshock.. so i was annoyed. tried rebooting, reinstalling, removing stuff with regedit, msconfig, stuff i usually don't muck about with for fear of breaking my PC (i'm not computer gifted). i did manage to fix it with a registry cleaner program, which i am NOT associated with, or trying to sell, but it is called "RegCure". I hope it does not do any harm to my computer, but it seems to have fixed Steam, for now at least. if anything, i am just MORE annoyed that i shelled out $30 for this program to fix Steam so I can play the $50 orange box. TF2 better be worth $80. anyway, if you have exhausted options and want to flush $30 down the crapper, this worked for me. or maybe if you are more savvy with the registry this will tip you off in the right direction to fix it yourself. there was a free version that showed all the errors but it was greek to me. i'm on vista 32 bit home premium edition.

PLAY_MAKER
11-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Yes that is a good suggestion, however i use your uninstaller and it has the same thing when it uninstalls it removes left over program files and registry files also.

Things i have tried was , brand new steam install on a seperate hard drive, multiple retries, and nothing works same thing 30% stop, restarts to 0% then just disappears. Even do msconfig turned off all unneeded things, disabled firewalls. Nothing helps and if it was on my end all my games would be acting up not just STEAM! So at this point i made a new thread and completly removed my steam off my pc as no support is here and i also did a ticket also.

Tired of waiting on help and not being able to enjoy the games i payed for. So as of right now i am playing another game and have no issues at hand. 4 days of trying to get this app to work is enough from me, no more wasting my time as i know it is a STEAM issue not me.

Perhaps Steam has overloaded its resources with too many games and at this point is having hard times keeping all thses games going. But what-ever the reason is i surely do hope they get it fixed.

Good Day.

dasvidanya
11-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Allow me to refine my earlier post.

Looking at the Steam hardware survey and then at this thread, it appears only a few people of the majority - 2,048.0 Kbps - are having this problem. Everyone else is on a slower connection, be it broadband or dial-up.

As I've said before, because we aren't the majority, we probably won't get help for our problems. Steam works well for the people that come into this thread to say "lol dial-up!", therefore, the problem doesn't exist, even though it's affecting more and more people.

The silence of the mods and tech support is the most damning evidence of this. As someone else pointed out, the mods can edit our posts, but not help us play the games we wasted money on. The last mod post was on page 3.

mega`
11-16-2007, 08:24 PM
I currently have the same problem here, not with dialup but with 2.5Mb ADSL

Maybe the problem is related to some problematic router that a backbone provider uses, and Steam probably having no fault tolerance with network issues?

My ISP is 012.net / Golden Lines, and when I trace some of the content servers that Steam downloads updates from and fails, then it always passes through ALTER.NET so I think maybe it has something to do with ALTER.NET?

Edit:
Even if the issue results from a problem in a backbone router, then I think it is Valve's responsibility to make Steam's update process fault tolerant.

_Joker_
11-16-2007, 09:13 PM
IMO ist a Steam Update problem that they don't want to say anything about.
Their rushing these updates so fast that they are getting clumsy. I'm on dial up as well (not by choice dang bellsouth), and don't use the steam community because of it. So the updating every other day thing is an annonyance to me. Hopefully the next update will work. I made an official report of this to support 2 days ago with no response as of yet. Maybe others will have luck. Until then I'll be in a real bad mood.

Alasdair.
11-16-2007, 09:42 PM
For the past few days now, the only times I've been able to properly access Steam have been around 11 o'clock at night, til around 3am. This may have something to do with less people using the internet at these times, as well as the way the ISP I'm on (Xtra New Zealand) operates. This is getting really, really ridiculous now.

dasvidanya
11-16-2007, 09:47 PM
IMO ist a Steam Update problem that they don't want to say anything about.
Their rushing these updates so fast that they are getting clumsy. I'm on dial up as well (not by choice dang bellsouth), and don't use the steam community because of it. So the updating every other day thing is an annonyance to me. Hopefully the next update will work. I made an official report of this to support 2 days ago with no response as of yet. Maybe others will have luck. Until then I'll be in a real bad mood.

Their solution will just be to get a faster connection or eff you. I don't remember the poster's name, but he posted a thread about this issue, and got into an argument with a mod about why Steam won't offer a full update package.

The's mod's stance was, "sorry! We live in a broadband world, deal with it, get a faster connection", etc. There is no reason ON EARTH Steam couldn't offer a fully upgraded clinet for download. But, as I've pointed out: the majority works fine, who cares we get robbed.

afterdawn
11-17-2007, 12:22 AM
My steam was closing itself at 26% for the longest time a month or two ago, and then I tried one day recently, and for a few weeks it let me play! yay!, now the past day or so, its been happening again. Whats up with that?

mega`
11-17-2007, 12:34 AM
I eventually succeeded making Steam download the update, after going through some European servers, I reached a USA server that would let me download the update in full (qwest.net one).
I think we should be able to select what content server we use and avoid servers with problems.
Now I have the usual game updating slowness that is also experienced by other people using my ISP, but I guess that is off topic.

phoenix_1619
11-17-2007, 01:53 AM
I must admit I too am getting worried about the lack of response from any higher authority, my problem has been on-going for over a week now and still no answer to my support ticket either:confused:

As I'm sure most of you agree, those of us still on Dial up do so due to circumstance rather than choice (lack of coverage where I live)

I had to hang up my on-line gaming boomstick long ago (families, can't live with them, can't live without them;) ) so for me , losing multiplayer isn't a great loss.

This isn't to say I'm unsypathetic to on-line gamers, I remember how much fun TF1 was and how much I mourned it's loss when I found dial up was pretty much obsolete.

What galls me is since I mainly play single player Half-Life 2 now, I am forced to go on-line when I install it before I can play.

If Valve are trying to eliminate the Dial Up contingent, they should at least have the courage to officially say so and give us the chance voice our concerns properly, not just cut off the supply and ignore the cries of their paying customers:mad:

If this is the case, they should give Dial Up users the capacity to play their single play games without having to log onto Steam after installation (this way our game disks will be more than brightly coloured coasters as they are at the present!)

Strangly, the only small comfort I have, is the fact that some Broadband users are in the same boat (no malice intended Broadbanders:) ) so there is hope that this is just a system problem and not an attempt to purge we slow speed boys and girls.

Well, that's todays rant over...thanks for listening, just had to get that off my chest :D

Queenbanana
11-17-2007, 04:22 AM
I had the same problem with my new steam account... I turned off peerguardian before I launched the program and it worked just fine. Every time I try to do it with peerguardian on I get the same problem. I hope that helps for someone with the same issue.

janjan57
11-17-2007, 04:25 AM
I have problem with update too...
Please someone help us.
(no firewalls or something like that)

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 04:46 AM
If you have Windows XP please run this: http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/Fixwareout.exe and post the results of the report.txt here on this thread, so we can see what programs may becausing the issue.

Mirkis
11-17-2007, 07:11 AM
beware of .exe files
... you've been warned.

RipperLord
11-17-2007, 07:13 AM
Steam not update platform (updates to 32% then resets to 0%,
"Steam temporarily unavailable, please try again later" appears)

Why ???

Great Success

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 07:17 AM
beware of .exe files
... you've been warned.

Thats a 100% Safe File, as I have ran it and countless others have with no system effects, and I would be banned from this forum for posting malicious executables, as that is against the Forum Rules. So please dfont spread paranoia to something that can help solve this issue for peoples steam accounts.

phoenix_1619
11-17-2007, 07:55 AM
If you have Windows XP please run this: http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/Fixwareout.exe and post the results of the report.txt here on this thread, so we can see what programs may becausing the issue.

Sorry Dustbunny, says it's an invalid link?

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 07:56 AM
If you have Windows XP please run this: http://downloads.subratam.org/Fixwareout.exe and post the results of the report.txt here on this thread, so we can see what programs may becausing the issue.

Now try it.

PLAY_MAKER
11-17-2007, 08:06 AM
If you have Windows XP please run this: http://downloads.subratam.org/Fixwareout.exe and post the results of the report.txt here on this thread, so we can see what programs may becausing the issue.

Now try it.

Do you own this or have tied ends to this app by chance? As you seem to post this app all throughout these forums and you tell them to post their log? To me you act like you have wrote some code in this app or perhaps overlooking it for someone. Either way i don't know but it just seems odd at this point. I mean highjack this does the same thing but you never post this app and the support for this app is great, but i never see this app but no one in here posted by you. I seen you tell folks to remove stuff that has 0% to do with steam running and this is a bad go on your end. And then the stuff you say to remove never helps either, so i don't get why you post this app for some odd reason.

{I am not attacking you or even flaming you. But this odd on your part as this seem to be your answer for 99% of steam issues in this board!}

Moving on: Lets start with the obvious here "dustbunny" you keep posting this app, fine you're trying to help, no big deal. However the things you overlook here it isn't a end user issue it is STEAM! Plain and simple there is noway it is the end users issue at this point, this is spread across a number of multiple people. If it was a end user issue maybe a hand full would have a issue.

Steam just needs to say they have a server issue on their end, perhaps a timing issue. As it seems to me it is just timing out at a certain point. But yet no one on STEAMS end will own up to this, that they have a issue and or issues.

This has to be the worst support i have ever seen from a company towards end users. Yes we all have issues from time to time but this is the worst one i have ever seen to this day. And the lack of post response from someone with a actual cause is even more grieving.

Good Day

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Do you own this or have tied ends to this app by chance? As you seem to post this app all throughout these forums and you tell them to post their log?
To me you act like you have wrote some code in this app or perhaps overlooking it. Either way i don't know but it just seems odd at this point. I mean highjack this does the same thing but you never post this app and the support for this app is great, but i never see this app but no one in here posted by you. I seen you tell folks to remove satuff that has 0% to do with steam running fine and this is a bad go on your end. And then the stuff you say to remove never helps either, so i don't get why you post this app for some odd reason.

Moving on: Lets start with the obvious here "dustbunny" you keep posting this app, fine you're trying to help no big deal. However the things you overlook here it isn't a end user issue it is STEAM! Plain and simple there is noway it is the end users issue at this point, this is pread across a number multiple people. If it was a end user issue maybe a hand full would have a issue.

Steam just needs to say they have a server issue on their end, perhaps a timing issue. As it seems to me it is just timing out at a certain point. But yet no one on STEAMS end will own up to this, that they have a issue and or issues.

This has to be the worst support i have ever seen from a company towards end users. Yes we all have issues from time to time but this is the worst one i have ever seen to this day. And the lack of post response from someone with a actual cause is even more grieving.

First of all I do not own it, and it has fixed several issues pertaining to Steam Not Updating, so please do not hinder in the advice I give to people.

Things you tend to over look if its a Steam issue then so many other people would be here posting here.

It could have been a program update that causes Steam to function poorly.

I did a complete fresh reinstall of Steam and all my games, the other day and guess what no issues updating any of them, and Steam updated just fine and in under 10 seconds I was up and running on the latest Steam Client and had all my games (10Gigs worth) downloaded in under 4 hours. So please do not tell people it is a Steam Issue, and tell people not to trust my advice.

It could also be specific routers that are not routing packets to the proper places, and going out and simply stating it is a VALVe( The Company that Developed Steam which is a program and has no employees) fault is a simple cop out.

phoenix_1619
11-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Username "" - 17/11/2007 16:04:51 [Fixwareout edited 9/01/2007]

~~~~~ Prerun check

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

System was rebooted successfully.

~~~~~ Postrun check
HKLM\SOFTWARE\~\Winlogon\ "System"=""
~~~~~ Misc files.
~~~~~ Checking for older varients.

~~~~~ Current runs (hklm hkcu "run" Keys Only)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]
"AVG7_CC"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgcc.exe /STARTUP"
"Windows Defender"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MSASCui.exe\" -hide"
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /install"
"NvMediaCenter"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
"MSMSGS"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe\" /background"
"igndlm.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\IGN\\Download Manager\\DLM.exe /windowsstart /startifwork"
"ISUSPM"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\InstallShield\\UpdateService\\isuspm.exe\" -scheduler"
"Steam"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\Steam.exe\" -silent"
Hosts file was reset, If you use a custom hosts file please replace it...
~~~~~ End report ~~~~~

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Remove the below:

"Windows Defender"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MSASCui.exe\" -hide"
"igndlm.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\IGN\\Download Manager\\DLM.exe /windowsstart /startifwork"

phoenix_1619
11-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Nope, still no joy I'm afraid:confused:

sptonjohn
11-17-2007, 08:47 AM

Good Day
G'day Mate,

I am sorry that you are having issues and that you are not satisfied with support. However, this is a user-to-user support forum so you should not be expecting Valve to offer you support here. If you need to contact Valve support, please submit a support ticket.

DoubleD
11-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Got any news for us yet moddies?
I would ask you to create a support ticket with your issue but it seems you have issues with being on dial up.

And since you returned the game I guess it does not efffect you anymore.

PLAY_MAKER
11-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Man have you actually seen how many folks have this same issue? It started as 56 dail up users and now has spread to low broadband users as well. So it is A STEAM issue.

I will give you a example, simple and to the point. Lets say steam is a train, we own the tracks, we pay for steams cargo {games}, so all of a sudden the train doesn't deliver on time. Now two things at this point, one is our tracks is messed up steam train cannot deliver. Or the steam train is broken. Now on all our ends the rails or clean and nothing is blocking it, so what does this leave steam.

You to mean seem like you spend all your time in to get post point reps. The "Look at me how many post i have Guy!" Lets look at this you joined "05-23-2006" so it is Nov 17, 2007. So thats roughly 18 months and 6 days you have posted 15,724 post. So that's about 30 odd roughly posts a day. And the best answer you can do with that many post is "FIXAWAREOUT" app. Now this tells me you think steam is a spyware app as this is your best thread post app here and what you leave everyone with.

So are you saying STEAM has spyware in it? To me it seems so, since this is your answer for all of steam issues at this point.

Me not telling peolpe to trust you? LAUGH...... You're showing everyone in here not to trust you kid. Seems you hjave no idea about the app you post as you are relaying it to someone else and they are helping you, then you post back to get another post count. LMAO........

It is steam and that is final, you can kisss their butt if you like, and i seen them jump you in here also. Funny how the pack you always try to help turns around and bites you, ROFL.

Moving on I have two steam accounts on two pc's but yet they both do the same thing, so it is my fault to i guess. When all my NON-STEAMS always works fine with no issues, only thing i ever have issues with is steam. Say what you want but we know on what side you are trying to play and you are WRONG!

G'day Mate,

I am sorry that you are having issues and that you are not satisfied with support. However, this is a user-to-user support forum so you should not be expecting Valve to offer you support here. If you need to contact Valve support, please submit a support ticket.

Yes i know i am a bit mad right now 5 days and nothing still same issues. I did do a support ticket though and i'm waiting futher help from them.

Thank you for your time.

To dustbunny:

I rest my case arguing with you, LOL. But like i said you are trying to help but just going about it the wrong way.

Good Day

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Play_Maker,

it is you that do not understand how Fixwareout works, and why it was introduced. Fixwareout fixes DnS issues caused by a certain virus which has plagued users in the past from updating their games.

Now lets get back to your Train Example, and this is something I am very Familiar with since my brother works on trains for a living. The Train aka Steam as you call it runs on Rails, and the rails can be compared to the internet. Now bare with me here, the internet consists of switches, routers, modems, and other things that may inhibit your the cargo aka your games as you so eloquently put from being delivered to you. The train could be delayed due to a faulty router some where along the rails to you, or from a mis-directed packet via a DNS Change on your end. This can cause confusion especially if the shipper can't determine where to send your package aka your games and thusly your games do not work. Now Fixwareout is a program that goes and fixes the relay station by removing a bad switch/router or DNS entry. Now your client can now connect to Steam and you can now get your packages aka your games. I do not recommend hijack this as it only does analysis work and doesn't fix anything.

Some programs may interfere with Steam, had you been here during the months of January and March of 2007 you would understand this.

Can you post your add/remove programs. If you feel uncomfortable posting them in the open then you can simply PM Me.

phoenix_1619
11-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Normally I would, but truthfully I'm not sure how I upload the images to the forum? :confused:

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Normally I would, but truthfully I'm not sure how I upload the images to the forum? :confused:

Links to the images hosted on imageshack or photobucket.

Rautamiekka
11-17-2007, 10:40 AM
valve, you total idiot. Stop ????ing steam up everytime you make something new. Now when I try to start it, it updates up to 26% and complains it's already running when it's not. You total ???????s can't do anything right. Fix this at once !:mad:

sptonjohn
11-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Rautamiekka,

I am sorry that you are having issues mate but such behavior does more harm than good.

janjan57
11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
dustbunny , I can't enter to this site :

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Plesae host this file on other host server.
Thanks , Roy

Rautamiekka
11-17-2007, 11:14 AM
I opened steam ports on my router, still stop at 26% to complain "already running" when it's not.

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 11:15 AM
dustbunny , I can't enter to this site :

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Plesae host this file on other host server.
Thanks , Roy

http://downloads.subratam.org/Fixwareout.exe

I opened steam ports on my router, still stop at 26% to complain "already running" when it's not.

Check your Taskmanager sometimes Steam likes to hang and not quit properly.

Rautamiekka
11-17-2007, 11:17 AM
It's not in TaskManager

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 11:18 AM
It's not in TaskManager

Then run the program I linked to above and post your results here.

dasvidanya
11-17-2007, 11:20 AM
I've opened a supoort ticket. It's been two weeks and still nothing.

<< Suggesting this again will result in a ban >>

There is no problem on anyone's PC - as I've stated before, I've tried to update Steam on a freshly formatted hard drive with nothing but drivers installed and IT DID NOT WORK. This is an issue with Steam and it needs to be fixed.

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 11:21 AM
This is an issue with Steam and it needs to be fixed.

Could be an issue with peoples internet connections too.

Rautamiekka
11-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Then run the program I linked to above and post your results here.
Can't because I'm on vista business and it says "unsupported system"

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Do you have the Steam Service Started? If so go and stop it.

dasvidanya
11-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Could be an issue with peoples internet connections too.

Honestly, I'd support that theory if it wasn't specific groups of people on a wide range of connections and PCs and locations being affected by the error.

Rautamiekka
11-17-2007, 11:26 AM
It's been disabled all the time

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Honestly, I'd support that theory if it wasn't specific groups of people on a wide range of connections and PCs and locations being affected by the error.

The other day I had to do a complete clean install of Steam, and guess what my Steam Updated 100% of the way, and if it was a Steam/VALVe related issue wouldn't you think that it would affect the 13 Million some odd customers then just a select few say 100 to 300, and by flooding VALVe with Support Tickets on this issue will not get the issue solved faster.

It's been disabled all the time

Tell it to automatically start up and enable it.

Rautamiekka
11-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Sorry my random stupidness kicked in so got any ideas how to do it ?

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Sorry my random stupidness kicked in so got any ideas how to do it ?

Right click on the Service then hit Properties then go to Automatic then hit Start then apply then hit okay.

Rautamiekka
11-17-2007, 11:34 AM
"windows could not start the steam client service on local computer

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in timely fashion"

I guess that's because I copied bro's steam over my empty steam folder ...

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 11:38 AM
"windows could not start the steam client service on local computer

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in timely fashion"

I guess that's because I copied bro's steam over my empty steam folder ...

Then I would follow this: Cleanly Reinstalling Steam Seems like you broke your Steam install.

dasvidanya
11-17-2007, 12:37 PM
The other day I had to do a complete clean install of Steam, and guess what my Steam Updated 100% of the way, and if it was a Steam/VALVe related issue wouldn't you think that it would affect the 13 Million some odd customers then just a select few say 100 to 300, and by flooding VALVe with Support Tickets on this issue will not get the issue solved faster.

I admit that it probably won't, but it's better than waiting two weeks and hearing absolutely nothing from tech support.

I know my connection is not the problem - Steam worked flawlessly on my old computer, which used the same modem and the same connection. I also say "worked" because it no longer does - same updating error. The required ports are opened, CenturyTel allows Steam traffic. This isn't a case of PEBKAC or my connection wonking out. And the problem is steadily working it's way up to broadband users. It's dicey and suspicious, I'm sorry, but it is.

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 12:39 PM
I admit that it probably won't, but it's better than waiting two weeks and hearing absolutely nothing from tech support.

I know my connection is not the problem - Steam worked flawlessly on my old computer, which used the same modem and the same connection. I also say "worked" because it no longer does - same updating error. The required ports are opened, CenturyTel allows Steam traffic. This isn't a case of PEBKAC or my connection wonking out. And the problem is steadily working it's way up to broadband users. It's dicey and suspicious, I'm sorry, but it is.

I used to work with CenturyTel, and let me tell you they are one of the crappiest telephone companies I have ever dealt with. Their infrastructure is very lacking and not very updated. I detest them.

dasvidanya
11-17-2007, 12:43 PM
I used to work with CenturyTel, and let me tell you they are one of the crappiest telephone companies I have ever dealt with. Their infrastructure is very lacking and not very updated. I detest them.

CenturyTel is basically the only dial-up I care to use. It's local, so the connection is fast, and I've never had any problems since we switched from AOL in 2005. I even got Steam running on AOL when I got HL2 in 2004 with no hassles!

However, I'll agree with the fact they aren't a very good company. DSL coverage, apparently, stops a simple quarter mile from my house.

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 12:46 PM
CenturyTel is basically the only dial-up I care to use. It's local, so the connection is fast, and I've never had any problems since we switched from AOL in 2005. I even got Steam running on AOL when I got HL2 in 2004 with no hassles!

However, I'll agree with the fact they aren't a very good company. DSL coverage, apparently, stops a simple quarter mile from my house.

Well let me tell you something they are gradually dropping Dial Up Service in remote areas.

dasvidanya
11-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Well let me tell you something they are gradually dropping Dial Up Service in remote areas.

Thankfully, we aren't THAT remote. About three miles from town.

However, back to the topic at hand: I used my grandfather's ISP of choice - another local ISP from the next town over - and I get the same thing. It's dial-up only. The ISP, I mean, not the error.

delikaizer01
11-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I fixed it for myself. Don't know if it'll work for anyone else. Quite simple.

I was having the same problem. Update to 26%, then vista told me that I could only run 1 copy of the program at a time, then it quit. I realized that I had it running in XP compatibility mode, so I took that off, and it works! So vista users try that, I guess...

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Thankfully, we aren't THAT remote. About three miles from town.

However, back to the topic at hand: I used my grandfather's ISP of choice - another local ISP from the next town over - and I get the same thing. It's dial-up only. The ISP, I mean, not the error.

They could be going through CenturyTel as well for their lines.

dasvidanya
11-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Maybe. But I'm not 100% certain that CenturyTel is to blame here, as my friend with Charter who lives in town had the same problem when I asked him to download Steam and then send me the updated folder, and as stated before, a wide range of ISPs seem to be having the problem - it's by no means an isolated incident.

I admit it's a possibility - a distinct one - but as more and more people encounter this, it seems less likely.

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Pretty sure it's not ISP. I'm in NZ and have tried two separate networks with no changes.

Good to hear that Vista users seem to be getting past the problem, now any more ideas for XP users?

L.o.D.
11-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Do you own this or have tied ends to this app by chance? As you seem to post this app all throughout these forums and you tell them to post their log? To me you act like you have wrote some code in this app or perhaps overlooking it for someone. Either way i don't know but it just seems odd at this point. I mean highjack this does the same thing but you never post this app and the support for this app is great, but i never see this app but no one in here posted by you. I seen you tell folks to remove stuff that has 0% to do with steam running and this is a bad go on your end. And then the stuff you say to remove never helps either, so i don't get why you post this app for some odd reason.

We have been posting this tool since the January update fiasco of this year. It has helped a LOT of people with their steam connection issues.
Do a search & you shall see.

As for removing things that have "0% to do with steam", there's quite a few different programs out there that do in fact affect steam.

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=451

I am not having any steam issues at all & I use a 2 firewalls (vista's own & Eset Smart Security). So, it is hard to tell if it is in fact 100% a steam issue.

But to those that use a router, try NOT using it for testing purposes & try again.

dark_assasin178
11-17-2007, 03:59 PM
for those still having update trouble.. for me it only seems to want to update after 12 midnight for some reason.. so im sure for a number of us its our isps fault because now im sure steam needs to change its min requirments as 56k dialup is just not good enough for steam.. even im on dsl and i need to be at a non peak time to update steam files... which is still acceptable ill just have to update my steam everytime an update occurs after midnight... then it goes thru in like 5 secs...

SchLing
11-17-2007, 05:05 PM

I was having the same problem. Update to 26%, then vista told me that I could only run 1 copy of the program at a time, then it quit. I realized that I had it running in XP compatibility mode, so I took that off, and it works! So vista users try that, I guess...

Yeah, that worked for me aswell :)

eXpZA
11-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Closed NetLimiter and it's busy updating, although Murphy might pay me a visit for posting this too soon. Been using Netlimiter longer then I've been using Steam, so why it's giving issues now I don't know. Give it a try?

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Fixware out log:

Username "Soup" - 2007-11-18 10:23:09 [Fixwareout edited 2007/07/05]

»»»»»Prerun check

»»»»» Postrun check
»»»»» Misc files.
»»»»» Checking for older varients.

»»»»» Current runs (hklm hkcu "run" Keys Only)
"IMJPMIG8.1"="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\IME\\imjp8_1\\IMJPMIG.EXE\" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32"
"PHIME2002ASync"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\IME\\TINTLGNT\\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC"
"PHIME2002A"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\IME\\TINTLGNT\\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName"
"RTHDCPL"="RTHDCPL.EXE"
"SkyTel"="SkyTel.EXE"
"Alcmtr"="ALCMTR.EXE"
"EasyTuneV"="C:\\Program Files\\Gigabyte\\ET5\\GUI.exe"
"Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer"="KHALMNPR.EXE"
"COMODO Firewall Pro"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Comodo\\Firewall\\CPF.exe\" /background"
"Symantec PIF AlertEng"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\PIF\\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\\PIFSvc.exe\" /a /m \"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\PIF\\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\\AlertEng.dll\""
"PWRISOVM.EXE"="C:\\Program Files\\PowerISO\\PWRISOVM.EXE"
"amd_dc_opt"="C:\\Program Files\\AMD\\Dual-Core Optimizer\\amd_dc_opt.exe"
"StartCCC"="C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI.ACE\\Core-Static\\CLIStart.exe"
"CoolSwitch"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\taskswitch.exe"
"{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}"="C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Gmail Notifier\\gnotify.exe"
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.6.0_03\\bin\\jusched.exe\""
"Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader 8.0\\Reader\\Reader_sl.exe\""
"AAWTray"="C:\\Program Files\\Ad-Aware 2007\\AAWTray.exe"
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\QTTask.exe\" -atboottime"
"UnlockerAssistant"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Unlocker\\UnlockerAssistant.exe\""

"MsnMsgr"="\"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\MsnMsgr.Exe\" /background"
"Skype"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Skype\\Phone\\Skype.exe\" /nosplash /minimized"
"SpybotSD TeaTimer"="C:\\Program Files\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\TeaTimer.exe"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run\AdobeUpdater]
Hosts file was reset, If you use a custom hosts file please replace it
»»»»» End report »»»»»

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Fixware out log:

Username "Soup" - 2007-11-18 10:23:09 [Fixwareout edited 2007/07/05]

»»»»»Prerun check

»»»»» Postrun check
»»»»» Misc files.
»»»»» Checking for older varients.

»»»»» Current runs (hklm hkcu "run" Keys Only)
"IMJPMIG8.1"="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\IME\\imjp8_1\\IMJPMIG.EXE\" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32"
"PHIME2002ASync"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\IME\\TINTLGNT\\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC"
"PHIME2002A"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\IME\\TINTLGNT\\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName"
"RTHDCPL"="RTHDCPL.EXE"
"SkyTel"="SkyTel.EXE"
"Alcmtr"="ALCMTR.EXE"
"EasyTuneV"="C:\\Program Files\\Gigabyte\\ET5\\GUI.exe"
"Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer"="KHALMNPR.EXE"
"COMODO Firewall Pro"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Comodo\\Firewall\\CPF.exe\" /background"
"Symantec PIF AlertEng"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\PIF\\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\\PIFSvc.exe\" /a /m \"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\PIF\\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\\AlertEng.dll\""
"PWRISOVM.EXE"="C:\\Program Files\\PowerISO\\PWRISOVM.EXE"
"amd_dc_opt"="C:\\Program Files\\AMD\\Dual-Core Optimizer\\amd_dc_opt.exe"
"StartCCC"="C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI.ACE\\Core-Static\\CLIStart.exe"
"CoolSwitch"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\taskswitch.exe"
"{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}"="C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Gmail Notifier\\gnotify.exe"
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.6.0_03\\bin\\jusched.exe\""
"Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader 8.0\\Reader\\Reader_sl.exe\""
"AAWTray"="C:\\Program Files\\Ad-Aware 2007\\AAWTray.exe"
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\QTTask.exe\" -atboottime"
"UnlockerAssistant"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Unlocker\\UnlockerAssistant.exe\""

"MsnMsgr"="\"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\MsnMsgr.Exe\" /background"
"Skype"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Skype\\Phone\\Skype.exe\" /nosplash /minimized"
"SpybotSD TeaTimer"="C:\\Program Files\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\TeaTimer.exe"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run\AdobeUpdater]
Hosts file was reset, If you use a custom hosts file please replace it
»»»»» End report »»»»»

Remove the stuff highlighted in red.

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Cheers for looking over my log file dustbunny.
Looks like all those things there are legit and I need them. First few are asian character assistant, then my Firewall and virus scanner, and the unlocker tool is just plain handy :)

dustbunny
11-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Cheers for looking over my log file dustbunny.
Looks like all those things there are legit and I need them. First few are asian character assistant, then my Firewall and virus scanner, and the unlocker tool is just plain handy :)

You have AVG which is a far better program then Symantec, and I didnt know what the first set was. But the others need to go as they can cause issues with Steam, and running multiple virus scanners is a big no no.

Gulliver
11-17-2007, 08:18 PM
purchased Call of Duty Warchest this week, using 150k cable modem for the download. The Call of Duty 1 and the expansion were downloaded without problems, now Call of Duty 2 is in 58%.

In this week I noted that the Steam Client updates every time I started Steam, downloading 2 megas or less and then stopping the update, and the download was not continuous, its was going up and down. I deleted the Clientregistry to... maybe... get the entire update, and now I'm posting this.

I told about the Call of Duty thing to show that its nothing about dial up or broadband, I downloaded two games with the Steam Client update problem in the middle.

juppy73701
11-17-2007, 09:40 PM
For those saying it isn't Steam, judging from my own personal case here, I don't see how it can be anything BUT Steam.

I got the OB at the first part of November and updated Steam probably 5 or 6 times over the next couple weeks. November 14th it was still working fine. Only thing that changed AT ALL on my computer was this month's Windows update, which I installed the night of the 14th, after the last time Steam was known to still be working. The next day, November 15th, Steam is pulling this crap of only updating to 26% then starting over and finally saying the servers are too busy.

Okay, since that Windows update was the ONLY thing that changed, then that should be it, right? Wrong! I uninstalled that update, rebooted, Steam is still screwed up. Disabled Windows Firewall, Avast antivirus, and Spybot (the only security programs I have, no router to go through, and no download accelerators or anything else listed in the "Programs that don't work with Steam" list). Guess what?.....Steam is still screwed.

Soooo, the logic of a first grader would even tell you that if nothing else changed on my computer (same ISP for over a year now, AT&T), and everything I had installed on there as far as security programs and such were working fine with Steam before (for the last 2 years mind you), then what does that leave you that has changed? Steam or something in between my computer and the Steam servers. BUT, seeing as how it is spread across multiple different ISPs, the chance of every ISP suddenly changing something is not as likely as Steam being messed up on their servers.

Oh, and I have to agree with whoever said that stuff about not even being able to play OFFLINE. FYI, that's the ONLY way I play. Being on dialup, the only things I connect for are installation activations and to keep Steam *ahem* updated. But now, since it WON'T update, I can't even play my stupid game offline, BECAUSE STEAM WANTS TO UPDATE FIRST!! If they are truly trying to squeeze out the low speed users, hey, I could care less....but at least give me a fix for your stupid game so I can play it offline instead of hosing me out of 50 hard earned dollars and not giving me a thing except "Servers are busy....try again later".

Gulliver
11-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Years in the past, I have this same problem but it happened in 94%. That update in the frist bar have the display of the very frist version of Steam, so it should be some problem of compatibility of the old version with this new version.

dasvidanya
11-17-2007, 10:34 PM
That very long post above said everything I could ever hope to say.

The PROBLEM here is Steam. Absolutely nothing changed on my old computer on which I first installed the Orange Box, and on November 1st, Steam was still working on my old computer. I took a break from building my new PC to play Portal. Now Steam simply does not work and I know effing well that however crappy my ISP is, they didn't go volcanic over night.

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm only using Comondo firewall pro, its just firewall, and AVG is just virus :)

My steam is doing something a little different now, which may be a good sign, I made a backup a while ago when steam ran fine. I'll let you know how it goes in a few hours..

dnelson
11-17-2007, 10:58 PM
For those saying it isn't Steam, judging from my own personal case here, I don't see how it can be anything BUT Steam.

I agree. A great test to see if a networking problem is on your end or not is to run Wireshark and watch the traffic. If your end suddenly closes or resets the TCP stream, you know either the app closed the connection itself or crashed, or another program (firewall, virus scanner, etc) terminated the connection. If you see the stream close from the remote end, it's not your side that stopped the transfer. I did just that and consistently saw the remote steam server break the connection (with an RST, not even a clean FIN) in the middle of the download.

And it wouldn't even be so bad, if only the steam downloader had a little bit of smarts and kept the partial file, resuming it on the next attempt. That way at least you'd eventually get the whole download. But it starts over from the beginning every time...

Jusuchin
11-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Here is what I got from it:

~~~~~ Postrun check
~~~~~ Misc files.

"SoundMan"="SOUNDMAN.EXE"
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
"WebcamMaxMoniter"="\"C:\\Program Files\\WebcamMax\\CAMTHINS.exe\" /m"
"vptray"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMANT~1\\VPTray.exe"
"TkBellExe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Real\\Update_OB\\realsched.exe\" -osboot"
"iTunesHelper"="\"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunesHelper.exe\""
"ccApp"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\ccApp.exe"
"Adobe Photo Downloader"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\\3.2\\Apps\\apdproxy.exe\""
"NvMediaCenter"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit"
"NVIDIA nTune"="\"C:\\Program Files\\NVIDIA Corporation\\nTune\\\\nTune.exe\" clear"
"MSConfig"="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\MSConfig .exe /auto"

"Srhn"="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\STEM~1\\lsass.exe\" -vt yazr"
"Vidalia"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Vidalia Bundle\\Vidalia\\vidalia.exe\""
~~~~~ End report ~~~~~

NormanX
11-17-2007, 11:15 PM
So I purchased Orange Box coupe weeks ago, having the same dial up issues 30% and restarting. I went to the local library on the Gold Coast Oz and the have free Wifi access for three hours, got my laptop down there and it worked like a charm...... but it did restart about three times before it hit 100% phew!.

So you really do need a fast connection or you get bumped off. If you use TCPView, every time it restarts steam update it connects to another IP address I think the one worked finally was one western aus somewhere.

I am back home on dial up again and all the games are updating obviously not fast but still updated. Finally I can play HL2!

Jusuchin
11-18-2007, 12:26 AM
c-208-146-35-121.cogent-seattle.nuclearfallout.net:27031

at first, then it drops, and goes to 0% and starts again at:

63-145-202-2.dia.static.qwest.net:27031

It starts up again and goes to 35% and pretty much freezes.

One other ip it tries to get to is

65-113-241-34.dia.static.qwest.net:27031

The next IP doesn't work and it goes back to 0% then that closes and says Steam is temporarily unavailable.

I used TCP view for this, and saw the connections come in.

I really don't know if this is my connection or what, but still this should help see what goes on. None full update... what is going on pleaseeeeeeeee.

Steven_m64
11-18-2007, 01:13 AM
attempted 7+ more times to try and get it to fully update tonight.

been a damn long time now since i have been able to get steam running correctly on this pc.

Rautamiekka
11-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Thank you very much ! Taking off xp-emulation from steam made it to update itself and it's now up and running :)

JinkoMK
11-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Thank you very much ! Taking off xp-emulation from steam made it to update itself and it's now up and running :)

How do you disable the XP compat?

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Here is what I got from it:

~~~~~ Postrun check
~~~~~ Misc files.

"SoundMan"="SOUNDMAN.EXE"
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
"WebcamMaxMoniter"="\"C:\\Program Files\\WebcamMax\\CAMTHINS.exe\" /m"
"vptray"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMANT~1\\VPTray.exe"
"TkBellExe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Real\\Update_OB\\realsched.exe\" -osboot"
"iTunesHelper"="\"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunesHelper.exe\""
"ccApp"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\ccApp.exe"
"Adobe Photo Downloader"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\\3.2\\Apps\\apdproxy.exe\""
"NVIDIA nTune"="\"C:\\Program Files\\NVIDIA Corporation\\nTune\\\\nTune.exe\" clear"
"MSConfig"="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\MSConfig .exe /auto"

"Srhn"="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\STEM~1\\lsass.exe\" -vt yazr" <---This is a Virus
"Vidalia"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Vidalia Bundle\\Vidalia\\vidalia.exe\""
~~~~~ End report ~~~~~

Remove the stuff in the red, and get a beter anti-virus then Symantec/Norton as it let in a virus.

KimmorleyKiller
11-18-2007, 02:57 AM
I would ask you to create a support ticket with your issue but it seems you have issues with being on dial up.

And since you returned the game I guess it does not efffect you anymore.

Your a clown. You come on here and delete posts of mine regarding my local EB games current hiatus of HL products, then you act like a big man.

Don't try and tell me what i have issues with, my dial-up is fine. It does exactly as it advertises, which is more than i can say for steam. Your simply further evidence of valves vendetta against dial-up users, imo.

Your right, it doesn't effect me. Now run along and shake hands with the other 100 people who have voiced their complaints in this thread.

BTW, i have created a ticket...i could theoretically have downloaded HL on my dial-up connection in the time valve havent replied.

Better|Off|Dead
11-18-2007, 03:05 AM
Your a clown. You come on here and delete posts of mine regarding my local EB games current hiatus of HL products, then you act like a big man.

Don't try and tell me what i have issues with, my dial-up is fine. It does exactly as it advertises, which is more than i can say for steam. Your simply further evidence of valves vendetta against dial-up users, imo.

Your right, it doesn't effect me. Now run along and shake hands with the other 100 people who have voiced their complaints in this thread.

BTW, i have created a ticket...i could theoretically have downloaded HL on my dial-up connection in the time valve havent replied.

You may be having issues mate but if you show any more lack of respect for the Moderation team you will be removed from the forums.

KimmorleyKiller
11-18-2007, 03:17 AM
You may be having issues mate but if you show any more lack of respect for the Moderation team you will be removed from the forums.

It goes both ways mate, theres obviously a lot of understandably frustrated users in this thread. There was no need to stir the pot.

Better|Off|Dead
11-18-2007, 03:39 AM
It goes both ways mate, theres obviously a lot of understandably frustrated users in this thread. There was no need to stir the pot.

Encouraging people to contact support doesn't exactly constitute "stiring the pot" mate.

I suggest you wait for a response from VALVe and take it up with them - whatever your current issue is.

eXpZA
11-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Closed NetLimiter and it's busy updating, although Murphy might pay me a visit for posting this too soon. Been using Netlimiter longer then I've been using Steam, so why it's giving issues now I don't know. Give it a try?

Would like to report that my steam updated perfectly and I'm now starting at a screen full of "100% - Ready"

Maybe it was coincidence, but closing Netlimiter = Steam updating... so anyone still getting this problem, try close anything that connects to "localhost" (Which could be a million things)

Who knows, maybe the Steam Servers are hating having to fight through programs on your computer to get to your Steam Client, if you know what I mean.

Just my 2c

DoubleD
11-18-2007, 05:56 AM
Who knows, maybe the Steam Servers are hating having to fight through programs on your computer to get to your Steam Client, if you know what I mean.

Just my 2c

Check this out for those who missed it.

Programs Which Interfere with Steam

I installed Steam on a third machine last night and downloaded TF2 and Portal without issue here in the states.

Glad your up and running eXpZA. Now enjoy. :D

Jusuchin
11-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Remove the stuff in the red, and get a beter anti-virus then Symantec/Norton as it let in a virus.

Meh, that is the anti-virus my college makes me use, but how do I get rid of those.

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Meh, that is the anti-virus my college makes me use, but how do I get rid of those.

Add/Remove Programs

A University cannot force you to use an anti-virus.

Jusuchin
11-18-2007, 09:14 AM
In a sense they do by requiring virus scans by this program they give us to download, otherwise we can't get on the internet. I am not happy with this University's internet service anyway.

sptonjohn
11-18-2007, 09:15 AM
A University cannot force you to use an anti-virus.
Yes it can. If you use the internet in the dorms at SMU, it forces you to download a little scanner that checks your computer to see if you have the University required AV/AS solutions. If you don't, it won't let you access the internet until you do (they give you the solutions for free).

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Yes it can. If you use the internet in the dorms at SMU, it forces you to download a little scanner that checks your computer to see if you have the University required AV/AS solutions. If you don't, it won't let you access the internet until you do (they give you the solutions for free).

What a stupid policy, and no wonder why university networks are so insecure.

Jusuchin
11-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah, but anyway I cannot remove those things by Add/Remove programs (they don't show up)... Aren't these in the registry, how do I access them?

Nvm, I know how to edit registry with regedit, thanks anyway.

Also are you positive on:

being a virus

dasvidanya
11-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Just tried to update again using TCPView.

The remote side abandoned the connection every single time.

Jusuchin
11-18-2007, 10:00 AM
I just want to make sure I can delete the lsass.exe if it is truly a virus. Is it because it's not in the system folder?

Also, the update only goes to a max of 38% now ;(

eXpZA
11-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I just want to make sure I can delete the lsass.exe if it is truly a virus. Is it because it's not in the system folder?

NOOOO! Don't delete it! I've got it running as well. Whoever told you to delete is is... :confused:

lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/lsass/

^^ Read more

Jusuchin
11-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Yes, but there are cases of it being a trojan or exception, this might be it.

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 10:09 AM

Yeah, but anyway I cannot remove those things by Add/Remove programs (they don't show up)... Aren't these in the registry, how do I access them?

Nvm, I know how to edit registry with regedit, thanks anyway.

Also are you positive on:

being a virus

Yes it is a virus I am 100% sure of it, as I know a virus string looks like. Your normal lsass.exe doesnt run with any options, and it wouldnt be shown as this: Srhn. I am an IT Professional.

Jusuchin
11-18-2007, 10:10 AM
So I deleted all which you said, should I restart to see if there is any changes in system running?

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes you should.

And let your IT department know that you got a virus.

Jusuchin
11-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Still no luck with Steam, it only goes til 38% now and that's as high as it will go.

Connected to 65-113-241-34.dia.static.qwest.net

Maybe my insane latency here on campus has something to do with it.

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Still no luck with Steam, it only goes til 38% now and that's as high as it will go.

Connected to 65-113-241-34.dia.static.qwest.net

Maybe my insane latency here on campus has something to do with it.

Whats your ping times?

Jusuchin
11-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Here are some from using TCP optimizer:

Pinging [193.10.252.19] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=144ms TTL=241
Pinging [193.10.252.19] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=138ms TTL=241
Pinging [193.10.252.19] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=142ms TTL=241
Pinging [218.32.192.112] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=200ms TTL=45
Pinging [218.32.192.112] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=201ms TTL=45
Pinging [218.32.192.112] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=199ms TTL=45
Pinging [216.77.188.41] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=46
Pinging [216.77.188.41] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=46
Pinging [207.155.248.45] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=84ms TTL=237
Pinging [207.155.248.45] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=237
Pinging [66.230.207.58] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=44
Ping statistics for above hosts:
Packets: Sent = 15, Received = 15, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times (RTT) in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 201ms, Average = 105ms

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Here are some from using TCP optimizer:

Pinging [193.10.252.19] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=144ms TTL=241
Pinging [193.10.252.19] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=138ms TTL=241
Pinging [193.10.252.19] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=142ms TTL=241
Pinging [218.32.192.112] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=200ms TTL=45
Pinging [218.32.192.112] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=201ms TTL=45
Pinging [218.32.192.112] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=199ms TTL=45
Pinging [216.77.188.41] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=46
Pinging [207.155.248.45] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=237
Ping statistics for above hosts:
Packets: Sent = 15, Received = 15, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times (RTT) in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 201ms, Average = 105ms

Just out of curiosity can you try your connection at another location like a friends house?

Jusuchin
11-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I am in my dorm room... Not really.

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Well I can't believe it. After 2 solid weeks of steam having this issue, I have now fixed it.
Several months ago steam had this exact issue for me, but resolved itself after about 3-4 days. I was so relived that I made a backup of the steam folder.
After 2 weeks of having the issue again, I remembered my backup folder. What followed was a major hashing of current install, a new install, backup files and downloaded steam archives.

Here's what I think I did ;):
1. Install fresh steam
2. Place all backup files on top of this install (I didn't move my steamapps folder, this may have also contributed to success, Might have something to do with the winui.gfc)
3. Steam now has a different loading bar, a newer-looking... weird.
3. Run, error Steam Error: Platform Error: bad module Friends/friendsUI.dll, not loading (http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=755&p_created=1189794221&p_sid=sj3Zb3Ri&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MjAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N 2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc GFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9ZnJpZW5kc3VpLmRsbA**&p_li=&p_topview=1) comes up. I found that file in steam/friends and put it into steam/bin.
4. Next is Steam Error: Platform Error: bad module Friends/serverbrowser.dll, not loading. Also fixed by finding a file in steam/servers and putting it into steam/bin.
5. Steam loads for a while and just goes.

I know 99% of you out there will not have a backup, but I hope this helps find the solution to the problem. While doing all this messing around, I made a backup of my current steam games by copying the steamapps folder first.
I am currently copying my games back into the folder (its 20gb so will take a little while, I just hope steam recignises them when it restarts)

Please, query me. I wish to help as much as I can.
Thank you and good luck.

P.S. Backup, Backup, and backup!!

sirtoggle
11-18-2007, 11:20 AM
ok I haven't read all 200+ posts on this, but I skimed through some, and noticed my problem is slightly different. I run vista 32bit.
Steam starts to load and update. about 28% I get. 'steam is already running, you can only run one copy at a time.' then steam closes out.

I tryed rebooting, and removing the router. also two copys are not running. when I start steam the service starts. then i get the message and the steam service switches to stoped when i'm monitoring my services in task manager.

this was working just fine untill this update. so now none of the programs i've paided for work anymore.

First it was sdk not working. now steam. nothing but problems. I am at the point i just want my money back.

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 11:22 AM
If you are still having issues try the following: Cleanly Reinstalling Steam (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Cleanly_reinstalling_Steam)

sirtoggle
11-18-2007, 11:38 AM
did all of that now. and still having the same problem.

RipperLord
11-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Yep. Steam is definately screwed up... :mad:

dasvidanya
11-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Steam is most definitely the issue here. I'm posting this from my new computer, on which I have NOTHING installed but drivers and Windows MCE Update Rollup 2 and TCP View. Firewall is disabled, ports are forewarded.

I tracked it with TCPView, again, and as before... Steam breaks the connection. So the problem is absolutely not on my end.

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Steam is most definitely the issue here. I'm posting this from my new computer, on which I have NOTHING installed but drivers and Windows MCE Update Rollup 2 and TCP View. Firewall is disabled, ports are forewarded.

I tracked it with TCPView, again, and as before... Steam breaks the connection. So the problem is absolutely not on my end.

If it was then a few nights ago I wouldnt have been able to install Steam Again as well as my games.

dasvidanya
11-18-2007, 01:20 PM
If it was then a few nights ago I wouldnt have been able to install Steam Again as well as my games.

Just because YOUR Steam works doesn't mean it isn't a Steam problem.

You can't possibly tell me that it's MY fault that Steam cuts the connection with me. My average download speed is 4.2, so I know I'm not going that slow for dial-up, and I can safely say nothing on my computer is messing with Steam, because I only have one program installed.

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Just because YOUR Steam works doesn't mean it isn't a Steam problem.

You can't possibly tell me that it's MY fault that Steam cuts the connection with me. My average download speed is 4.2, so I know I'm not going that slow for dial-up, and I can safely say nothing on my computer is messing with Steam, because I only have one program installed.

Ever think it could be an ISP issue? and remember there are 13 Million accounts and if it was a Steam Issue youd see those 13 million people here complaining. That kind of traffic would shut down these forums.

dasvidanya
11-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Ever think it could be an ISP issue? and remember there are 13 Million accounts and if it was a Steam Issue youd see those 13 million people here complaining. That kind of traffic would shut down these forums.

Look, you're being arrogant and silly.

I respect the fact you're a professional, however, what're you telling me is equal to "BECAUSE THESE COMPUTERS WORK, YOURS CAN'T POSSIBLY BE BROKEN!".

It isn't an ISP issue because I've tried several different 56K ISPs to the same result, so it absolutely is not an ISP issue. Each and every time I've seen it, the Steam server rejects me, and that's the facts. Steam. Rejects. The. Connection.

As for the amount of people.. well, you can see for yourself the number is growing rapidly. It's spreading.

dustbunny
11-18-2007, 01:42 PM

I respect the fact you're a professional, however, what're you telling me is equal to "BECAUSE THESE COMPUTERS WORK, YOURS CAN'T POSSIBLY BE BROKEN!".

It isn't an ISP issue because I've tried several different 56K ISPs to the same result, so it absolutely is not an ISP issue. Each and every time I've seen it, the Steam server rejects me, and that's the facts. Steam. Rejects. The. Connection.

As for the amount of people.. well, you can see for yourself the number is growing rapidly. It's spreading.

Do you know anyone with Broadband where you can take your Computer to and try it? It seems silly to blame VALVe on this issue when infact it very well could be an ISP issue with the way some ISPs throttle traffic to reduce cost.

I am beginning to think that this is an issue with certain content servers based by region. Or its the connections between certain ISP's and the Content servers that people are connecting to are timing out mid update. The ones here on the East Coast of the US are running fine.

Gulliver
11-18-2007, 02:46 PM
I use windows xp and 150k cable modem for connection, have downloaded the update in ugly display, another update plataform in nice display and now Steam is running.

I think that its simple luck, to dont get kicked by the Steam server in the ugly display update with a not so good connection, someone with very fast connection could download it without problem. I was reinstalling Steam since yesterday, and only did a spyware check with Ad-Aware and the Cleanly Reinstalling Steam, over and over.

KimmorleyKiller
11-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Absolutely. Ive tried on a clean install of both XP and Vista, on different computers with different modems and different ISP's. I've gotten my mates to try it, one uses broadband and ones on dialup with the same result. It's most definantely a steam issue, however i seriously doubt they are doing anything about it.

4rr0w
11-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm just getting a friend to backup his files onto a disk for me. That seems to be the best solution right now.

winright007
11-18-2007, 04:43 PM
OK, so what I gather from this thread is that if you have Windows XP and a 56K modem, don't bother trying to play any games made by Valve.

Last week I went to Best Buy and bought HL2. I cannot even play the game because it forces me to do the update. And of course it gets to around 30% and stops.

I really do not see the point of making people go online and update a game they had just purchased from the store. If it has been out on the market for so long, then what kind of updates could it possible need.

I just simply want to play the game in single player mode. I do not bother playing online because I am limited to dial up and I am just fine with that.

I guess what I would like to know is if there are any other ideas I can try besides the ones that have been mentioned here. I have tried every one of them twice and reinstalled Steam about 10 times. Nothing works. Is there any way I can get some type of file to download that has this update on it so that I can actually play the game.

DoubleD
11-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Steam requires an internet connection for installing and updating Valve games.

System Requirements
Windows 2000, XP or Vista
256 MB RAM
400 Mhz processor
1GB HD space (recommended)
Internet connection (broadband recommended)

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=getsteamnow

Other Valve games have addtional requirements.

99ultra
11-18-2007, 06:23 PM
hmm im having same problem just like the rest of u i even did clean install of steam...nothing :/ hopefully this blows over someday

dasvidanya
11-18-2007, 06:34 PM
I think what sould happen is this: someone, without Steam installed and on a highspeed connection should download Steam, update it, then make the Steam folder available for download for those of us with 56K.

Asking somebody to do this as a temporary fix is only fair, as those of us with 56K deserve to play the games we spent money on.

winright007
11-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Why should broadband be recommended for a store bought game that you do not plan on playing online. That's rediculous.

Sorry if I sound rude, but it is very frustrating knowing that I cannot take this game back to the store because I have opened it.

As far as the system requirements, I have Windows XP, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2 gigs of Ram, and a 200 gb hard drive. Which is more than enough to play this unplayable game.

I did not see anywhere on the box that Broadband was a requirement. (Maybe it should be clearly marked on the box that broadband is required).

I just really do not understand how an operating system like Windows XP can update it's software without hindering it's functionality one bit(even with dial up), but you are not even allowed to install this game until it has gone through an online update that is not needed for offline play.

Can somebody please explain to me the exact reason why this game has to go through this update, and is there a why to bypass it. I did the "Get Steam Now" download in the past, but it still goes throught the update process. If somebody would put the updates in the download it would save a lot of people from massive migranes.

RipperLord
11-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Steam requires an internet connection for installing and updating Valve games.

System Requirements
Windows 2000, XP or Vista
256 MB RAM
400 Mhz processor
1GB HD space (recommended)
Internet connection (broadband recommended)

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=getsteamnow

Other Valve games have addtional requirements.

I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64, Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.0ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 200+ Free HDD Space with 1.5mb/s Cable Broadband connection.

Yes, Ive check the firewall and the router and made sure that I have the latest Vista updates. Steam worked before, yet now its playing around?

Can you please explain why mine doesnt work, and I have the same looping update problem?

danimal99
11-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Some official word from Valve would be nice too. My Steam stopped connecting a few days ago, and I've done everything from filing a support ticket (which they don't answer) to just now deleting ALL my files except for Steam.exe and SteamApps folder. It rebuilt all the files, then still wouldn't connect when I tried to login. I haven't done a THING between when it worked perfectly and when it stopped working altogether. I hadn't even installed those Windows updates yet.

It would be nice if Valve would just flipping say something, instead of leaving us disgruntled users twisting in the wind. They know what they changed, they have to have some idea of what they broke.

Ca-Chicken-Soup
11-18-2007, 08:31 PM
I have fixed my steam (as posted earlier, top of page 16). I am not sure as to the cause of the problem, or the fix, but here's something someone can try:
rename your steam/steamapps/winui.gfc and restart steam. This will force steam to remake this file, and redownload the platform gui stuffs. Currently my steam platform is working, but some elements of the steam window are a bit off, but it is updating so I hope it'll update that file more and get it right...

Let me know if it works or at least causes steam to do something different.
Cheers,
Soup

Edit: Oh also for those that have skim-read this thread, there are 3 'fixes' for Vista found so far:

And if all else fails:

Solution:

Remove the last 4 Windows updates, restart computer.

RipperLord
11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Ive tried those methods of "fixing" Steam, and still no luck. :(

Mirkis
11-18-2007, 10:09 PM
1 more for Vista.

remove all files from your folder besides "Steam.exe" and "steamapps"
run SteamInstall.msi (its the steam installer, can be downloaded from the website)
run repair.

Cant remember if this is the exact order I did it, but doing those things fixed Vista Buisness for me.

dasvidanya
11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Valve's answer to this is going to be either upgrade to broadband or get Vista.

This is now Valve's problem - every dial-up ISP all over the world didn't suddenly go crazy.

RipperLord
11-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Valve's answer to this is going to be either upgrade to broadband or get Vista.

This is now Valve's problem - every dial-up ISP all over the world didn't suddenly go crazy.

I dont think that would be the solution to it, even if they did announce it. I'm running Vista with Cable Broadband and still have the exact problem like the dail-up users. :eek:

Tarintio
11-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey, I've been following this post since i got the Orange Box retail a few days ago. Same problem - update progress gets to around 28-32% percent, restarts a few times, then closes.

My system: XP, clean steam install, no firewall etc.

Today I finally got steam to work and allow me to create an account. Here's how:

1. Disconnected from the net (I'm on dial up), Did a clean install of Steam.

2. Copied the clean contents of the steam folder to another folder on a USB thumb drive.

3. Took the drive to a local Internet Cafe, copied the steam folder onto the cafe PC desktop and ran Steam.exe . This resulted in a successful update. I then renamed the folder, and copied the updated files folder on to the drive.

4. Returned home and copied the updated files into the original steam folder, overwriting the original contents.

5. Connected to the net, Ran "Steam", created an account, and signed in. I then got kind of annoyed when a window stating "Updating Steam platform files..." came up. Not the same update window as before, just a progress bar with no download %. Anyway once this update was complete i was able to run steam.

I haven't tried activating my games just yet but at least I've got STEAM running. Hope this helps out, it's been a frustrating couple of days for me too.

comafm
11-18-2007, 11:25 PM
A bit more info which really points to slow connection as the culprit.
I normally have broadband but reached my limit last week. My provider then throttles back connection speed to 64k.
My son had installed TF2 off the net (thereby blowing our limit) a week ago with no problems and I purchased TOB on the weekend so we could play multiplayer.
I had the same problem as everyone here 26% blah blah.
Last night I upgraded our limit and today we are back to sweet broadband.

The install and update of steam ran through without a problem!

Good luck.