PDA

View Full Version : What about Episode Three?

B0Q
02-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Valve gave us HL2 and Episode One and Two, but they were part of the bigger picture, The Orange Box. Does Valve intend to release Episode Three for consoles and let us finish what we started, or are we :o ed? Keep in mind that the OB didn't perform as well on consoles as Valve had hoped and they haven't been so good about supporting us. Additionally, the retail could be tricky as its half a game: It would be extremely tricky to diliver it digitially via Ps3 network or live with another party involved, but if they retail it in a box, it'd probably be overpriced and more expensive than its PC counterpart. Valve,the balls in your court.

konfuzd
02-09-2008, 05:00 PM
The Orange Box did relatively well on the 360. For a week it was the best selling game and in all it's sold something like 650,000 copies. The PS3 version on the other hand didn't fare too well.

Aloha62_2
02-10-2008, 05:27 AM
the ps3 version didnt fair well because its a god awful port. knowing valves release rate we will have to worry about what shoddy work EA will do putting it on the ps4.

MMXBL
02-10-2008, 05:45 AM
The Orange Box did relatively well on the 360. For a week it was the best selling game and in all it's sold something like 650,000 copies. The PS3 version on the other hand didn't fare too well.

650k is not that great... usually a AAA title requires around a million units sold to break even. 80k on the PS3 is horrible, of course no surprise to me if you see the threads out here.

I will say besides Halo3 and Madden, I saw more ad for TOB on TV than any other game... EA can't be happy.

"shoddy work EA will do putting it on the ps4" and yet you see Xbox 360 owners complaining as well.... it's not EAs fault, it's not Microsoft's fault, and it's not Sony's fault.

tmacman
02-10-2008, 09:11 AM
IF YOU WANT TO POINT THE FINGER AT ANYONE POINT IT AT ALL PARTYS INVOLVED

MMXBL
02-10-2008, 09:20 AM
IF YOU WANT TO POINT THE FINGER AT ANYONE POINT IT AT ALL PARTYS INVOLVED

It's not Microsoft's or Sony's fault that the product was released in an incomplete state. Sorry, I can't agree there.

We'll just blame Sony, MS, and Nintendo on any game that is either bad or unsupported than.

1nsane
02-10-2008, 09:35 AM
It's not Microsoft's or Sony's fault that the product was released in an incomplete state. Sorry, I can't agree there.

We'll just blame Sony, MS, and Nintendo on any game that is either bad or unsupported than.

Clearly they need to block all games from being released until they (Sony, Nintendo, MS) can spend 2+ weeks testing them and deem the ready! But that would probably cut the releases on all consoles quite a few times.

B0Q
02-10-2008, 05:18 PM
:o Off Topic! :o

Bad_Byte
02-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Valve gave us HL2 and Episode One and Two, but they were part of the bigger picture, The Orange Box. Does Valve intend to release Episode Three for consoles and let us finish what we started, or are we :o ed?

The last part. Valve claim they do "episodic" releases with the half life 2 but the fact remain that they are just as slow as if they had been doing regular sequals. So I for one would not be suprised to see Half Life 2: Episode 3 as it's own box at game retailers or "Half Life 2: The complete edition, including episode 3".

ImproperDancing
02-11-2008, 09:09 AM
The last part. Valve claim they do "episodic" releases with the half life 2 but the fact remain that they are just as slow as if they had been doing regular sequals. So I for one would not be suprised to see Half Life 2: Episode 3 as it's own box at game retailers or "Half Life 2: The complete edition, including episode 3".

Actually, they're not quite as slow. It took like six or seven years to go from Half-Life to Half-Life 2 (and nine years to go from Team Fortress to TF2). It only takes them about two years between each episode. Sure, in that amount of time other talented developers can release two games, but that's not how Valve rolls. They roll slowly and silently.

imhoterror
02-11-2008, 01:38 PM

What is your source for these numbers?

alundra828
02-11-2008, 02:08 PM
650k is not that great... usually a AAA title requires around a million units sold to break even. 80k on the PS3 is horrible, of course no surprise to me if you see the threads out here.

I will say besides Halo3 and Madden, I saw more ad for TOB on TV than any other game... EA can't be happy.

"shoddy work EA will do putting it on the ps4" and yet you see Xbox 360 owners complaining as well.... it's not EAs fault, it's not Microsoft's fault, and it's not Sony's fault.

yea but that was for the 360 version VALVe sold about 8 mill copies at least for the PC

Patitoyupi
02-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Valve can upload in the Xbox Store (I donīt know his name in english) and in the Playstation Store :D
----
Sorry for my english.

men1kmati
02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Actually, they're not quite as slow. It took like six or seven years to go from Half-Life to Half-Life 2 (and nine years to go from Team Fortress to TF2). It only takes them about two years between each episode. Sure, in that amount of time other talented developers can release two games, but that's not how Valve rolls. They roll slowly and silently.

so very very slow

MMXBL
02-12-2008, 04:55 PM
yea but that was for the 360 version VALVe sold about 8 mill copies at least for the PC

Please show me any stats you have for The Orange Box PC that has sold anywhere near 8 million copies.... and I don't think Valve releases those numbers publicly.

figures I have on the PC

HL1 sold about 8 mil.
HL2 sold about 4 mil.

I have no figures on The Orange Box for PC, since you can buy the games separately it would be hard to determine that.

Figures I have for console for TOB:
X360 - 650k
PS3 - 80k

I would not think those would be considered good numbers... usually for a AA title 750k-1mil to break even. Either way they released these product premature... and if you have been working on a game for 9 years and it has this kind of performance problem... I don't know what to say.

Grievous117
02-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Episode Three is planned for consoles form what I heard.